• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I had no idea MS had partnerships with other Android manufactures

It's a continuation of the patent agreements they started a while ago.

Today I’m excited to announce that there are now 74 hardware partners in 25 countries who are making Microsoft productivity applications and services available on their Android tablets and phones. These partners offer or will soon offer Android devices pre-installed with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive and Skype. Office and Microsoft services are available on a wide variety of Android devices today, such as the LG G Pad 2, Samsung Galaxy S6, Sony Xperia Z4 and many other tablets and phones offered by our partners. Specific offerings may vary by device.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/201...fore-through-agreements-with-device-partners/

Bundled apps don't bother me per se, but it would be great if you could uninstall them, like on Windows Phone. The fact that I can only disable, but not remove stuff like Word, Instagram or Facebook on my S7 is annoying. I have currently 13 apps disabled on the S7. 5 from Google, 2 from Microsoft, 2 from Facebook (app and Instagram) and the remaining 4 are Samsung garbage. I find it really unnecessary. If your customer goes to the length to disable an app or service, it clearly shows that he has no interest in using it at all, so you might as well let him remove it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I know why they're not doing this anymore, but I really wish they still did the Google Play Edition program. I'd be delighted to have a Galaxy S7 with stock Android.

Saiyan-Rox

It's a continuation of the patent agreements they started a while ago.

Today I’m excited to announce that there are now 74 hardware partners in 25 countries who are making Microsoft productivity applications and services available on their Android tablets and phones. These partners offer or will soon offer Android devices pre-installed with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive and Skype. Office and Microsoft services are available on a wide variety of Android devices today, such as the LG G Pad 2, Samsung Galaxy S6, Sony Xperia Z4 and many other tablets and phones offered by our partners. Specific offerings may vary by device.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/201...fore-through-agreements-with-device-partners/

Bundled apps don't bother me per se, but it would be great if you could uninstall them, like on Windows Phone. The fact that I can only disable, but not remove stuff like Word, Instagram or Facebook on my S7 is annoying. I have currently 13 apps disabled on the S7. 5 from Google, 2 from Microsoft, 2 from Facebook (app and Instagram) and the remaining 4 are Samsung garbage. I find it really unnecessary. If your customer goes to the length to disable an app or service, it clearly shows that he has no interest in using it at all, so you might as well let him remove it.

guess i've never noticed since I haven't had one of those manufactures phones....but I hate that shit.

I know why they're not doing this anymore, but I really wish they still did the Google Play Edition program. I'd be delighted to have a Galaxy S7 with stock Android.

i'd take a GS7 Edge with full stock Android straight away....just a shame none of those Google play editions ever made it outside the US.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Currently in full on skip mode. My G3 survived the debacle I had with it a few weeks ago.

Gonna ride it out till 2017 phones drop and just hope my battery lives that long.

In theory the 830 chip should be another step up, and the only thing I am interested in aka VR needs all of the horse power it can get.

Vanillalite

So Xiaomi just dropped two new Mi phones both with Snapdragon 821 chips. Oh and both if you do the exchange are between $300-$400 dollars and start with 64 gig storage.

Someone wanna tell me why the Pixel is $650 on up with 32 gig base storage again?

So Xiaomi just dropped two new Mi phones both with Snapdragon 821 chips. Oh and both if you do the exchange are between $300-$400 dollars and start with 64 gig storage.

Someone wanna tell me why the Pixel is $650 on up with 32 gig base storage again?

Don't you want to spend an extra $300 for software updates?

Nikodemos

Because MiUI is hot garbaaj. I've never known a Xiaomi owner who didn't remove that crap. And software updates used to be very iffy, again, due to the need to be integrated with MiUI.

Furyous

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/26/this-is-the-google-pixel/

Small one, not the XL:

google_pixel-930x465.jpg

... Not for $650 my guy. Nah, I'll take a pass or at least use that $650 on something with 10 hours of SOT like say the X Compact:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Well, our battery benchmark returned almost 10 hours of screen time on a charge, which, for a 2700 mAh juicer, is worth a praise. This is similar to the result that the previous Compacts managed, and they have already proven to be “two-day battery” phones in real-life usage, so you can expect nothing less from the X Compact, too. The charging time of almost two and a half hours with the stock charger, however, is pretty slow for today's standards, though Sony will sell you a faster than the stock 1.5A charger for some extra cash.

rossonero

Currently in full on skip mode. My G3 survived the debacle I had with it a few weeks ago.

Gonna ride it out till 2017 phones drop and just hope my battery lives that long.

In theory the 830 chip should be another step up, and the only thing I am interested in aka VR needs all of the horse power it can get.

I made the jump from G3 to S7E and man what a jump it was from the camera to the display to the SoT. But if you can wait till next year then I guess you'll have your mind blown :D

Blackhead

Redarse
*Ew* at still whining about the rumored pricing of the Pixel and/or Pixel 'copied' iPhone.

Reminds me of the first time Google released a Nexus on Verizon.
Look at those chins eh. It was $650 off contract and $300 on contract — more expensive than the iPhone at the time. As now there where those then who said Google/Android was copying iPhone and asked if anybody would care to buy it until they saw the line ups.

Android fans are spoilt these days. So many good options at all price points.

I thought the whole line we got was Qualcomm was charging out the ass for the 821 vs the 820.

Doesn't appear to be the case going by this pricing.

That's basically saying Google or Android Police are not being truthful.
Xiaomi takes it in the shorts to get their services out in the wild. They are in startup mode still. Google is not and has investors to please.
Also, the design and manufacturing costs are probably way cheaper for Xiaomi considering they do everything themselves.

If Google starts selling a boat load of Pixel phones and brings everything in house besides outsourcing manufacturing to foxconn I will bitch about their margins then.
Today, their hardware division is most likely not even profitable.

kinggroin

Banned

I'm hoping Google takes this shit seriously. VR is nothing like cardboard, you can't have a proper experience if you are dropping a single frame under the displays refresh rate. If anything you should be a multiple number higher than the refresh rate you're using. Considering most Android phones can't even use Chrome without stuttering, I'd be ultra impressed if they pull this off

This is one area I wish Nintendo would be involved in. Their software polish is like no one else's

Vanillalite

I'm hoping Google takes this shit seriously. VR is nothing like cardboard, you can't have a proper experience if you are dropping a single frame under the displays refresh rate. If anything you should be a multiple number higher than the refresh rate you're using. Considering most Android phones can't even use Chrome without stuttering, I'd be ultra impressed if they pull this off

This is one area I wish Nintendo would be involved in. Their software polish is like no one else's

My two worries are hardware won't be able to keep up, and I'll get some weird sickness going on cause of it.

2ndly I'm worried about storage. Is this gonna be a separate partition? How much space will DayDream need to install? Will it be an app you download or a 2nd OS you boot into? Will you need separate apps? How much space will that take if you have to have two versions of Netflix or Play store or whatever?

kinggroin

Banned
My two worries are hardware won't be able to keep up, and I'll get some weird sickness going on cause of it.

2ndly I'm worried about storage. Is this gonna be a separate partition? How much space will DayDream need to install? Will it be an app you download or a 2nd OS you boot into? Will you need separate apps? How much space will that take if you have to have two versions of Netflix or Play store or whatever?

Yeah my concern would be two things - heat related performance drops, and lack of mandatory guidelines developers absolutely must adhere to when creating content. Sony nailed it on that regard (PSVR games that can't lock at 60fps are not certified), while on PC there is a baseline target for 90fps (though it's the PC, you can brute force your way to acceptable performance).

Same. An S7 with Google provided updates and stock Android would actually justify the price tag to me since it is pretty much a feature-complete phone.

I wonder, do you think it will have a speaker at the bottom to at least have some sort of stereo speakers or is it going to be a mono speaker?

I've got two questions for you Google
1. Where's the Nex... Pixel 7
2. Gimme the Pixel 7

Otherwise I'm very close to stepping into the dark and getting an ipad mini 4. :/

Brandwin

Anyone with a Nexus 6P not getting security updates? I have gotten one every first week of the month since I got the phone and now we are a few days before October and I am still sitting on a security update from 08/05/16.

CronoShot

There's got to be some hook with the Pixel phones. There just has to be.

Right now, the Pixel XL is just a spec bumped 6P (and worse in some ways, like no front facing speakers) with a $250 price increase from last year. It makes no sense at all, especially given how much Google is hyping it up.

I just got a Motorola z force. Verizon, default messaging app. All was working fine with text messages until today. All of a sudden I am not getting text messages in real time. I click on the text icon, and get a flood all at once of texts from the last time I actively engaged the app. So this isn't just missing the notification, it's no texts coming through until the app gets "refreshed". Any ideas?

I just got a Motorola z force. Verizon, default messaging app. All was working fine with text messages until today. All of a sudden I am not getting text messages in real time. I click on the text icon, and get a flood all at once of texts from the last time I actively engaged the app. So this isn't just missing the notification, it's no texts coming through until the app gets "refreshed". Any ideas?

Try another messaging app and see if it happens to that app as well.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
After 2 weeks with my 6P, I don't wanna go back to a phone that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. Can't believe I thought it was a gimmick!

Massa

Looks like Lenovo cut more Motorola folks.

Maybe updates will be biannually soon.

This is such a shame, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Moto Z. (Google phones aren't available here officially and I don't want to deal with having to root/CM anymore). I guess I'll keep rocking this G2 for a while longer.

Top Bottom