• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

What do you mean?

As far back as the original Xperia Z, I haven't seen a single Sony flagship that hasn't had issues. From charging port, to screen, to bad batteries, to leaky waterproofing. The XA and X Performance we currently have on display at work are already fucking up.

ThisOne

So torn right now between the Axon 7, OnePlus 3, Honor 8, Xperia X compact, and whatever the Pixel ends up being. Guess I'll wait and see. Anyone own these phones want to chime in and help me choose? :)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So torn right now between the Axon 7, OnePlus 3, Honor 8, Xperia X compact, and whatever the Pixel ends up being. Guess I'll wait and see. Anyone own these phones want to chime in and help me choose? :)

Which features are most important to you?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

If you care about the screen resolution, VR (in theory), or audio I'd probably go Axon.

If not I'd go with the OP3. Slightly better performance with the 1080p screen vs the 1440p screen on the Axon. And a slightly better camera.

I personally don't like the Honor 8 as much due to the GPU, but maybe I'm in the minority.

If you care about the screen resolution, VR (in theory), or audio I'd probably go Axon.

If not I'd go with the OP3. Slightly better performance with the 1080p screen vs the 1440p screen on the Axon. And a slightly better camera.

I personally don't like the Honor 8 as much due to the GPU, but maybe I'm in the minority.

I owned all 3, the Honor 8 is better than the Axon 7. also Huawei is gonna make emui 5 more stock looking so that'll make it even better.

ThisOne

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Which features are most important to you?

Comfortable phone to hold for web browsing and video viewing. Good camera is a must. I also like the idea of stock Android (tired of bloatware and crappy skins).

Basically just want to get the most bang for my buck and noticeable step up from my current HTC One M8 that is crapping out on me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I owned all 3, the Honor 8 is better than the Axon 7. also Huawei is gonna make emui 5 more stock looking so that'll make it even better.

The GPU in the Honor 8 is two gens behind.

Like I said maybe I'm biased, but if any GPU related task the Axon and OP3 wipe the floor with the Honor.

Whether that matters to you or not is debatable. Idk why you'd pay for 2 gen old GPU for the same price though.

I know why they're not doing this anymore, but I really wish they still did the Google Play Edition program. I'd be delighted to have a Galaxy S7 with stock Android.

a GS7 with stock Android would fail as soon as it came out of the water.

Samsung added non-stock code that will stop charging if it detects moisture in the USB port.

I owned all 3, to be honest the Honor 8 was my favorite of them all, mainly for the form factor but here are other things I liked.

Top notch build quality
Fast camera with cool dual lens tricks
Fast as fuck (never did anything GPU heavy though)
Good battery
Great form factor
Emui isn't that bad (plus emui 5 will be closer to stock)

My least favorite was the Axon, for the following reasons.

Camera is slow with HDR
DPI setting makes icons to big
capacitive nav keys
that damn notification bell on the lock screen

Granted the Axon is fast as hell with everything else and has great speakers, that's about all it has going for it though.

If the OP3 was smaller it'd be my favorite phone it does so ma y things right it's just too big.

The GPU in the Honor 8 is two gens behind.

Like I said maybe I'm biased, but if any GPU related task the Axon and OP3 wipe the floor with the Honor.

Whether that matters to you or not is debatable. Idk why you'd pay for 2 gen old GPU for the same price though.

For what I did with the Honor 8, it never felt like it underperformed compared to the other 2 phones.

ThisOne

What exactly taxes the GPU on phones? Games?

If so, then having an outdated GPU doesn't matter much to me as I rarely game on my phone.

DrFunk

If so, then having an outdated GPU doesn't matter much to me as I rarely game on my phone.
Sounds like the honor 8 is your choice. As long as you're ok with EMUI, the interface. Look at some videos to see what it looks like.

I did everything but play games on it amd it never felt taxed at all.

Do this, YouTube EMUI 5 Huawei P9. it'll give you an idea of how stock the honor 8 get whe it's gets that update eventually.

DrFunk

When is the EMUI 5 update supposed to hit the Honor 8?
Probably after Huawei's Fall flagship, the Mate 9 drops. That's supposed to be in November, so I'd guess after that. The Mate 9 is supposed to have redesigned EMUI interface.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
it's the perfect placement - very intuitive
Yeah, it's great. People who complain that they can't use the sensor while the phone is down, ok. Legit complaint. But for me, the back placement is much better. I hold the phone more often than I use it lying down. Back placement is superior.

teiresias

Yeah, it's great. People who complain that they can't use the sensor while the phone is down, ok. Legit complaint. But for me, the back placement is much better. I hold the phone more often than I use it lying down. Back placement is superior.

The only thing I worry about is when I have it in a cradle in my car. I guess I can solve that using smart-lock tied to my car bluetooth, and it may not be an issue if I ever buy a car with Android Auto (though I hate the inability to browse albums on the Google Music interface on Auto).

Quasar

Yeah.

I ocasionally run into the phone is down issue, but really on back is so much more useful for me.

wilflare

I mitigate the "can't unlock when the phone is down" issue with a PIN unlock (or swipe unlock if you prefer) - it's not that bad

the rear fingerprint sensor is great when you are taking the phone out of your pocket/bag or up from the table - the way you grip the phone easily lends to you placing your finger on the sensor

I mitigate the "can't unlock when the phone is down" issue with a PIN unlock (or swipe unlock if you prefer) - it's not that bad

the rear fingerprint sensor is great when you are taking the phone out of your pocket/bag or up from the table - the way you grip the phone easily lends to you placing your finger on the sensor

and thumb on the front sensor thanks to a headphone jack being on the bottom :(

Jzero

After 2 weeks with my 6P, I don't wanna go back to a phone that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. Can't believe I thought it was a gimmick!

What's wrong with you? How could you possibly believe it was a gimmick?

I even have one on my PC because it's so convenient.

teiresias

I get seasonal eczema on my fingers that I imagine would make fingerprint sensor stop working when I'm dry and peeling in the winter.

kaiyo

Not in the U.S.
Just flash to international firmware, don't need to root or anything like that.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Comfortable phone to hold for web browsing and video viewing. Good camera is a must. I also like the idea of stock Android (tired of bloatware and crappy skins).

Basically just want to get the most bang for my buck and noticeable step up from my current HTC One M8 that is crapping out on me.
Xperia are pretty stock. Probably the most stock like out of all OEMs.

thuway

I really wish Samsung would go back to the days of an unlocked bootloader with a removable battery. All this whining and complaining from journalists about "PREMIUM" Build effectively killed the removable battery which has helped me keep my Note 3 and 4 healthy for YEARS.

The unlocked bootloader also has me running Marshmallow on both. Damnit Sammy :/. There was a time you were king. :(

I really wish Samsung would go back to the days of an unlocked bootloader with a removable battery. All this whining and complaining from journalists about "PREMIUM" Build effectively killed the removable battery which has helped me keep my Note 3 and 4 healthy for YEARS.

The unlocked bootloader also has me running Marshmallow on both. Damnit Sammy :/. There was a time you were king. :(

buy LG

This s7 edge kind of sucks. The edges make it too easy to accidentally touch the side of the screen while using it and it gets pretty hot during use. Also the placement of the speaker is horrible.

catmincer

This s7 edge kind of sucks. The edges make it too easy to accidentally touch the side of the screen while using it and it gets pretty hot during use. Also the placement of the speaker is horrible.

Yeah. That's why I went with the normal s7. I'd love a bigger screened s7 without the curve.

I hope Google also gives us a list of Daydream ready phones during their event next week. I've been holding off on getting a phone since summer because I want to get a phone that is both daydream ready and to my liking in general. I know about the Axon 7 but I'm not not really fond of some of the things I hear nor do I like the design of the phone(which seems like a big deal for lots of people nowadays).

I've been a LG guy for the past 3 years now I'd prefer to stick with them by getting a V20. But if it's not Daydream ready because it uses IPS instead of AMOLED then I may consider getting something else. It's been a excruciating wait though. I broke my G3 in June and have been using my Razr HD ever since. It's so painfully slow and I don't know how I managed to stick with it all this time, but I'm so close now.

this. s5, note 4 are so amazing and advance for their time. all people saw was plastic back.

tzare

I did everything but play games on it amd it never felt taxed at all.

Do this, YouTube EMUI 5 Huawei P9. it'll give you an idea of how stock the honor 8 get whe it's gets that update eventually.

my main issue with emui is lockscreen notifications don't work. You cannot expand them to have a quick look. If they fix that i will consider huawei/honor phones again, since are pretty nice and affordable.
btw does the honor 8 have nfc to use android pay? I guess it does but not sure about it.

this. s5, note 4 are so amazing and advance for their time. all people saw was plastic back.
the fake leather on the back of note 4 is awesome, perfect grip.

akileese

I turned the Edge screen off. I wanted the extra half inch of screen real estate and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not vanilla android, but it's largely inoffensive. It does run pretty warm though.

Top Bottom