• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Trash can be used to build shelter.

Asgaro

You're smoking some great shit.

The majority of the market doesn't turnover based on a single hardware cycle.

Nexus as a big thing just won't happen. Carriers have too much weight and people don't switch phones on a 12-month basis unless you're a nerd that posts in a thread about cell phone operating systems on a video game forum.

Pyro, take him to church.

OkEv1fh.gif

You're smoking some great shit.

The majority of the market doesn't turnover based on a single hardware cycle.

Nexus as a big thing just won't happen. Carriers have too much weight and people don't switch phones on a 12-month basis unless you're a nerd that posts in a thread about cell phone operating systems on a video game forum.

Pyro, take him to church.

Grow up, it's just a discussion. I said momentum shift not a majority userbase change. We are here to discuss things our everyday friends don't give a shit about, not "take each other down."

Industries have cycles and major players will miss the boat and let someone or something else in. For all we know app stores could be extinct in 5 years. Thats not that relevant to this discussion but I'm just saying Anything can happen.

EmiPrime

Great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36394558

Google has won a major US court battle with software firm Oracle after a jury ruled it did not unfairly appropriate parts of the Java programming language.

Oracle had argued that Google had infringed its copyright and had sought nearly $9bn (£6bn) in damages.

The outcome was eagerly awaited by software developers who feared that a victory for Oracle might encourage more such legal actions.

Great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36394558

Google has won a major US court battle with software firm Oracle after a jury ruled it did not unfairly appropriate parts of the Java programming language.

Oracle had argued that Google had infringed its copyright and had sought nearly $9bn (£6bn) in damages.

The outcome was eagerly awaited by software developers who feared that a victory for Oracle might encourage more such legal actions.

Positive Android news is not welcome here

SaintR

Hey everyone. Just got the Nvidia K1 tablet. Loving it so far. Quick question but with the Amazon Video app are the prime movies and shows not available in HD with android for some reason?

This is really a big let down if that's the case that they have HD available for the Fire tablets, and even iOS options but not for stock android.

so I have a question. I have an old verizon samsung galaxy nexus that is currently on 4.2.2 . I've never rooted my phone/installed cfw and am wondering is it worth it to root it and upgrade to one of the newer versions of android? I have issues where my phone lags using apps like maps or music or even during just general task and want to know if going to a newer version of android will breathe new life into the phone or no

EmiPrime

Hey everyone. Just got the Nvidia K1 tablet. Loving it so far. Quick question but with the Amazon Video app are the prime movies and shows not available in HD with android for some reason?

This is really a big let down if that's the case that they have HD available for the Fire tablets, and even iOS options but not for stock android.

From what I remember it's HD only on Nexus tablets and maybe a few others.

SaintR

From what I remember it's HD only on Nexus tablets and maybe a few others.

Man that sucks, that's a bad job by Amazon. Makes no sense. Was really looking forward to watching some HD shows and movies on my commute too 😔.

Thanks for the reply

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No they didn't, they said it's the best. With the current tablet market, the June update could make it take a shit on your chest while you sleep and it would still be the case.

It's sad cause it's mostly true.

Tablet market on Android is currently a dumpster fire.

Didn't Injustice come out like 7 years ago now? Samsung is certainly being timely here.

It's sad cause it's mostly true.

Tablet market on Android is currently a dumpster fire.

Even the iPad market is declining. I think tablets have finally run their course. Now we can go back to using devices that have attached keyboards by default and other shit that makes sense.

catmincer

Hmm can get a 128gb s6 or 32gb note 5 with gear vr for the same price as an s7 on its own. Still worth buying an s6 or nah? My Z3+ keeps overheating and stiff shuts down.

The s6 camera is probably better than this or z5 right?

longdi

Banned
The thing that makes the black s7e looks sexy is the removal of the silver lining arond the home button and camera...putting a gold lining is a step back and so tacky

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hmm can get a 128gb s6 or 32gb note 5 with gear vr for the same price as an s7 on its own. Still worth buying an s6 or nah? My Z3+ keeps overheating and stiff shuts down.

Get the S7.

Mindwipe

Man that sucks, that's a bad job by Amazon. Makes no sense. Was really looking forward to watching some HD shows and movies on my commute too ��.

Thanks for the reply

It depends on if the tablet has Widevine Level 1 certification for the DRM.

(Or the proprietary method Amazon use on their own devices.)

Actually... I'm not sure Amazon offer HD for any Android device apart from their own. Which is probably a commercial decision.

Mindwipe

The s6 and s7 cameras are way better than the z5, yes.

EmiPrime

Man that sucks, that's a bad job by Amazon. Makes no sense. Was really looking forward to watching some HD shows and movies on my commute too 😔.

Thanks for the reply

Yes it's very arbitrary. Amazon have made their video service awful to use outside of their crappy little hardware ecosystem. Nobody is going to sell their gear off because it doesn't work or works poorly with Amazon Video, it just breeds resentment against the company.

As an aside, given you need to turn on installations from outside the Play store in security settings just to install their Underground app and then the Video app I am sure most people do not turn that setting back to off afterwards. Google must be having kittens whenever they look at the analytics on that.

Actually... I'm not sure Amazon offer HD for any Android device apart from their own. Which is probably a commercial decision.

I think you're right and I got it muddled. Their app only supports a very limited number of Android tablets and even then it's SD only.

Asgaro

Damn son, Sony Z3C is a beast.

SOT of 6 hours with still 35% battery life left. Would have reached 9 hours probably if I let it drain to 0%.
(Which is bad for Li-ion tech so I don't do that anymore. Best to recharge around the 20-40% mark.)

Important remark: I was indoors connected to Wi-Fi at all times. But still, amazing shiz.

I figure this as as good a thread as any to ask...

Does anyone know of any gaming controller for the Nexus 5X with a cradle that doesn't smash down on the volume rockers? I'm currently trying to use a Moga Power Pro, but can't get the top of the cradle to not clamp down on the volume rocker fucking with the sound and I don't want to play with it clamping down on the far side of the device (the uncentered look is not a good one).

Noema

so I have a question. I have an old verizon samsung galaxy nexus that is currently on 4.2.2 . I've never rooted my phone/installed cfw and am wondering is it worth it to root it and upgrade to one of the newer versions of android? I have issues where my phone lags using apps like maps or music or even during just general task and want to know if going to a newer version of android will breathe new life into the phone or no

Well Google has certainly put an effort into making android run better on lower end hardware. Proyect Butter has had several iterations at this point and Proyect Svelte was introduced with 4.4 to reduce Android's memory footprint. Furthermore 5.0 changed the Java virtual machine from Dalvik to the newer Android Runtime resulting in apps that are compiled Ahead of time, taking up a bit more storage space but requiring an smaller overall memory footprint.

This is a longwinded way of saying that there's a chance center that your aging Galaxy Nexus might run a bit better on newer versions of Android. It might also run like crap due to the ancient TI CPU that drives it. But it's worth a shot I think. Even the Moto E runs Lollipop very well and there's a build of Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1) for your device.

If you need further assistance down the road we'll be glad to help you out.

Apparently it runs 5.1 pretty well

No Love

Banned
Damn son, Sony Z3C is a beast.

SOT of 6 hours with still 35% battery life left. Would have reached 9 hours probably if I let it drain to 0%.
(Which is bad for Li-ion tech so I don't do that anymore. Best to recharge around the 20-40% mark.)

Important remark: I was indoors connected to Wi-Fi at all times. But still, amazing shiz.

In retrospect, Z3C was probably the best long term Android phone ever made. Battery life and performance are still awesome. Wish I had gotten one back in the day.

The Mrs got a Nexus 5x recently, and after having chance to play with it these past few weeks I've got to admit it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be, the camera especially. Just a shame about the ridiculous bezels, and the sub-3000mah battery.

0h, and the UK pricing at launch. But the 32gb model is now available for £199.99 from HK based websites, which makes it a lot more tempting.

Or a Galaxy Note 5 for £340.

Anything to get away from this Honor 7! :D

Well Google has certainly put an effort into making android run better on lower end hardware. Proyect Butter has had several iterations at this point and Proyect Svelte was introduced with 4.4 to reduce Android's memory footprint. Furthermore 5.0 changed the Java virtual machine from Dalvik to the newer Android Runtime resulting in apps that are compiled Ahead of time, taking up a bit more storage space but requiring an smaller overall memory footprint.

This is a longwinded way of saying that there's a chance center that your aging Galaxy Nexus might run a bit better on newer versions of Android. It might also run like crap due to the ancient TI CPU that drives it. But it's worth a shot I think. Even the Moto E runs Lollipop very well and there's a build of Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1) for your device.

If you need further assistance down the road we'll be glad to help you out.

Apparently it runs 5.1 pretty well

thanks. I'll check these out

Furyous

Add $50 to the MSRP of the device and guarantee updates for six years. $50 * 100+ million Android devices in the US more than pays for the man hours associated with providing updates for six years. There's no excuse for flagships not receiving OS updates three years after release.

“I can tell you that there will most likely not be any ‘retroactively’ Daydream-ready phones,” Bavor says. “We wnt to hold a very high quality bar, and for that to happen all the components need to be just right. So, to VR fans, I would say, hold off for a few months to get your next phone… and get a Daydream-ready phone.”

catmincer

Get the S7.

Thanks!

This. Don't sacrifice on the phone for VR Meek Doge edition. You can always grab one of those later.

Awesome, thanks. I had a play with one in store, it was awesome. No room for proper VR setup sadly so this is realistically my best option.

The s6 and s7 cameras are way better than the z5, yes.

Sweet. I like my Z3+ camera in the day but at night.....

I'm guessing S6/S7 take better night time photos?

linkboy

Amazon's being a bunch of turds with streaming devices. A few months ago, they de-listed streaming devices that don't support Prime Video

However, the reason why they don't support Prime Video is due to Amazon not making it available for them.

Top Bottom