• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

No, harsh RAM management was definitely a Samsung thing. The Xperias don't do it short of, say, trying to play Pokemon Go and listen to a Podcast at the same time. And at that point they're legitimately running short of RAM. It's crazy how heavy Pokemon Go is.

not when it comes to background audio.

i'd like to declare that the Note 7 is the greatest handset of 2016.

it kills every other device when it comes to performance and if they try anything it will just blow up on them.

and i know some people will try to bring up other devices that may 'beat' it on some arbitrary benchmark or spec sheet, but none of them have the S Pen and 6 months in they still won't have the S Pen so you can't compare them to the Note.

Period.

Looking up stuff about the Huawei Mate 9 and how good the Kirin 960 may be and the fact it has CDMA built in makes me really excited for it to come out. Can't wait to see more of it.

highest tier mate 8 was like... 700 euros.

Heck I'm not even sure you can price an iphone to $1300.

I assume its gonna be a bundle with something, or some limited edition 50k gold 'exclusive edition'.

I wonder how many would spend the $$$ if they delivered on everything!

Waterproffing + large replaceable battery
Stereo speakers
wireless modularity so no pins on back
5.5 inch
1440p RGB Amoled
8GB RAM + SDCard + 256GB internall memory

mackattk

Well this is what I got with my moto z play..I think the high wifi is a reporting error due to the incipio battery, but who knows.... Gonna charge it to full and see how it does without the incipio battery.
NP1C8OKl.png

ZcXah1ol.png

What phone did you own before a Pixel

I don't even have a Pixel. I have a Nexus 6P and getting my iPhone 7 Plus Monday.

Won't make a difference in what way? Why will that phone disappoint 6 months in when the Pixel won't? How's the side by side testing FROM THE FUTURE?!

Because side by side testing has always trump real world usage lol

You've been way too sensitive about anything that's not positive about the Pixel. It's just a phone.

Just as this OT saying negative thing about it constantly even when everyone else says otherwise... I find that cute.

One is half-price of the other, and blows it away in performance.

Folks can live with MIUI and an outdated OS version if they can save hundreds of dollars in the process, they can buy two Xiaomis for one Pixel.

And what? How many side by side benchmark testing, opening app speed testing YouTube videos have came out doing this and the phone that people tend to doubt still comes out on top with the better real world usage than the so call phone that's blowing it out the water?

It's grasping at best. People aren't buying phones to make sure the apps can open faster than an iPhone, they want to know that their phone is going to be compatible and work down the line when the time comes... There's not going to be a follow up on these videos that shows that difference.

A lot of people in this forum like to fallback on "your being too serious/sensitive" when they feel defeated. It's any easy go to for them and not the first time this_guy has used it.

It's also the cool thing to shit on Google...

- First it was the battery life on the Pixel would be terrible due to the battery size. They were wrong

- Then they hated on the design and bezel saying it wouldn't sell BC it was so ugly. Wrong again.

- Then it was the lack of water proofing and/or wireless charging that made it not worth a damn. Wrong

- Then they said it costed too much so it won't sell. Clearly wrong.

- Then it's the Chinese phones they can't even buy will eat it alive. Wrong again.

- Then the story came out that it was built in 9 months and it was supposed to to be Huawei. That of course resulted in everyone saying it could have been so much better and it's not worth it because it was rushed.

Hey what do you know. The Pixel is selling really well and it costs the same as an iPhone. It's also getting fantastic reviews that are better than any Android phone before it. Hmmmm.

I think most of the people hating in here need a reality check that they know nothing about selling phones.

Jeffrey

So how is Google track record with phone performance a year or 2 later?

Any nexus 5 owners? I can't imagine the battery being amazing atm, but how is performance?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I got the ZUK 2 in the mail. Man, this skin is unlike Android. And the gesture button, too, makes it feel totally un-Android. Build quality is cheap-o plastic. Who told us to buy this phone, again? I guess for $250 it's not bad.

So how is Google track record with phone performance a year or 2 later?

Any nexus 5 owners? I can't imagine the battery being amazing atm, but how is performance?

It's fine. Samsung phones are the ones to be cautious of.

The black borders around the screen are absurd.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Do we have sales numbers on the pixel yet? Or are we assuming that it's selling well because it's sold out even though we don't know how many they are producing?

Quasar

Well...my thought about getting an android tablet got squashed due to Apples beyond the pale customer support.

The screen of my launch iPad Air 2 went all green. Anyway I took it into my local Apple Store and despite the fact that it was outside warranty they just replaced it for free. And this kind of service makes me wonder why if I ever decide to buy a premium phone why I would not just buy an apple phone due to this kind of support and the OS support.

I wonder who else could offer this kind of support. I guess Microsoft with their phones through their stores.

Jeffrey

Well...my thought about getting an android tablet got squashed due to Apples beyond the pale customer support.

The screen of my launch iPad Air 2 went all green. Anyway I took it into my local Apple Store and despite the fact that it was outside warranty they just replaced it for free. And this kind of service makes me wonder why if I ever decide to buy a premium phone why I would not just buy an apple phone due to this kind of support and the OS support.

I wonder who else could offer this kind of support. I guess Microsoft with their phones through their stores.

lucky you. ive had pretty garbage luck with my local apple store with issues. It's either completely format the phone or buy a refurb anytime I have software issues.

co1onel

My pixel xl has burn in on the notification bar and navbar already. It's not showing up in pictures very well but you can faintly see it here
When I pull down quick toggles, I can still see the notification bar. It's been a week and one day since I got it.

Quasar

Does anyone here use Allo as their default texting app? Is it worth using at all?

I do. Works pretty good for me, but then I wasn't a heavy message user. It's actually got my sister (whose on the other side of the country) and I communicating more, where in the past it was sporadic SMS messages.

Quasar

lucky you. ive had pretty garbage luck with my local apple store with issues. It's either completely format the phone or buy a refurb anytime I have software issues.

I was pretty surprised (esp since I never even bought their extended warranty). I expected to either have to pay a ton for a fix or get some trade in offer. To the point I looked into local companies that buy gadgets (who were offering around $100 for the defective iPad) with the idea I might buy a cheaper android tablet as I didn't want to pay full price for the 2 year old air 2. Maybe it was just because it was some kind of hardware fault. Or the manager here is just nice. Though I figured apple would be pretty consistent across stores.

Jzero

My pixel xl has burn in on the notification bar and navbar already. It's not showing up in pictures very well but you can faintly see it here

When I pull down quick toggles, I can still see the notification bar. It's been a week and one day since I got it.
Google needs to get their shit together. My 6P did it after a year, one week would have made me furious

Pooya

I'm looking for a backup travel phone and I'm looking at redmi note 3 S650 vs redmi note 4. They're really cheap for how good they are, I haven't found anything remotely comparable.

I'm actually leaning toward 3, it is a bit cheaper but not much but I think I prefer QC chipset over Mediatek, the performance is about same really and from the reviews I'm looking at 3 actually has a better camera and better battery life even. is it stupid to go with 3? What 4 has over it is that it has better metal body and that it comes with android 6.0, I guess 3 can be updated to 6.0 too right? I'm probably going to flash a custom ROM on it and I think snapdragon socs are better for that.

what say you.

ArchAngel

Welcome to the world of AMOLED where only Samsung fans ignore the burn in.
Happens everywhere, I have never seen a used screen without it. Their owners didn't for some reason :p

acm2000

Got my 6P on launch day, no burn in what so ever

How bright do you people have your phones?!?

I've always had mine on halfway or just below with adaptive on

co1onel

Welcome to the world of AMOLED where only Samsung fans ignore the burn in.
Happens everywhere, I have never seen a used screen without it. Their owners didn't for some reason :p
I had an s7 for months and there was no visible burn in at all. Burning in after a week just doesn't seem normal. It must be a faulty panel.

Got my 6P on launch day, no burn in what so ever

How bright do you people have your phones?!?

I've always had mine on halfway or just below with adaptive on
I usually keep it half way with adaptive brightness turned off.

teiresias

When was the last Hangouts update pushed out? I just had to uninstall updates on the app in order to get it to start throwing notifications again. Otherwise, I wasnt getting notified about SMS messages until I manually opened the app. I'm wondering if it really was an update or something to do with my Moto Z Play.

I really should just port my number out of Google Voice so I can stop having to use Hangouts altogether.

RuGalz

When was the last Hangouts update pushed out? I just had to uninstall updates on the app in order to get it to start throwing notifications again. Otherwise, I wasnt getting notified about SMS messages until I manually opened the app. I'm wondering if it really was an update or something to do with my Moto Z Play.

I really should just port my number out of Google Voice so I can stop having to use Hangouts altogether.

no problem on the 6p here, just some delay from doze. maybe try disabling battery optimization on the app?

LeleSocho

Banned
So OLED TV's do that too? I guess i'm never upgrading.

Of course they do, they are less subject to the problem since there's less chances of static content in movies but if you see tv it can happen just as fast.

Sometimes i wish i could write and speak better in English so to make a video that talks about the strength and weaknesses of LCD/OLED and the common myths and misconception around them... i actually have a script on this but every time i read it i'm ashamed on how i can't write better than an elementary schooler.

demented

I remembered I have a friend living in China who could buy a Xiaomi Mi note 2 for me (or mi mix but there's no global version right?). Still kinda waiting for some proper or bit longer use reviews but where would I tell him to go buy it, do they have retail stores there, online? Don't want to impose too much.

Top Bottom