• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Am I blind? I just got the V20 and I can't seem to figure out how to remove icons from the home screen. When I hold down an icon for a built-in app, it doesn't give me any options other than to move it around. If I do it on an app I downloaded, it at least gives me the option to uninstall the app at the top of the screen, but there's nothing to suggest I can just remove the icon without removing the app.

Noema

Am I blind? I just got the V20 and I can't seem to figure out how to remove icons from the home screen. When I hold down an icon for a built-in app, it doesn't give me any options other than to move it around. If I do it on an app I downloaded, it at least gives me the option to uninstall the app at the top of the screen, but there's nothing to suggest I can just remove the icon without removing the app.

Doesn't LG's launcher by default hide the app drawer? In that case I guess there'd be no way to delete App icons without actually uninstalling the app, like in iOS.

There should be an option in settings somewhere to enable the App drawer which should let you delete app shortcuts from the launcher.

here's how to do it.

Got a £336.99 LG G5 sitting in my cart.

Not sure I want to wait out for the Pixel XL price drop that may not come.

Decent upgrade over a Nexus 6? Decent generally?

I mean my Nexus 6 is OK, the battery is fine but starting to show it's age, and it chugs and lags below 50% something awful.

Also it has 3 giant cracks down the screen.

I'll see how I hold out.

Noema

I mean my Nexus 6 is OK, the battery is fine but starting to show it's age, and it chugs and lags below 50% something awful.

I'll see how I hold out.

Flash a custom kernel like Elementalx and let your nexus 6 soar to the heights as it was meant to.

Set it free. No need to put up that interactive CPU Governor auto throttling bullshit.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Doesn't LG's launcher by default hide the app drawer? In that case I guess there'd be no way to delete App icons without actually uninstalling the app, like in iOS.

There should be an option in settings somewhere to enable the App drawer which should let you delete app shortcuts from the launcher.

here's how to do it.

Never had any problems with it on my G3 and I don't remember having to do anything particular with that. Thanks for the info though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel ROM available yet for 6P? Might start to tinker again.

I would take a G5 over an Axon 7 easily. I think the Axon is a great value but the LG has a much better camera, while most other things are about equal.

Um no? I really liked the G5, but it had a huge number of flaws. The battery sucks, the headphone jack quality is god awful, the screen is shit, the build quality is suspect, and the UI with the no app drawer was a terrible idea. Not to mention the modularity is a joke. One module in the US is available. Sure the camera is good and cool, but it does not make up for its huge shortcomings.

I'll see how I hold out.

Get what you want when you want.

Just be aware the LG issues are real and the Pixel may not drop for a year.

Noema

Is there a reason why Google hasn't released Android 7.1 on Nexus 6?

It's reached end of life; Google isn't committed to supporting it any further.

It will supposedly get 7.1 when it's finally released in December; it won't get the Developer Previews like the 5X and 6P though.

There's a CM14.1 build floating around if you want to take matters into your own hands.

I got too much Google Survey money like $12

the hell do I buy

Nova Launcher Prime.

Pocketcasts.

Lara Croft GO.

It will supposedly get 7.1 when it's finally released in December; it won't get the Developer Previews like the 5X and 6P though.

There's a CM14.1 build floating around if you want to take matters into your own hands.

Nova Launcher Prime.

Pocketcasts.

Lara Croft GO.

You mean Google isn't required to support it any longer. Clearly they are committed.

Also it gets the 7.1 dev preview in November then final release in December. Check the timeline.

wilflare

Nova Launcher Prime.

Pocketcasts.

Lara Croft GO.

does anyone actually go for the subscription on Pocketcasts so they can use the desktop web client?

Noema

it's a one time $9 fee. Worth it IMO. I also love it has native Chromecast support.

Such a great app. Chokeful of features yet intuitive and beautifully designed. Worth every penny.

I used to use Antenna pod wich is an open source app. Not bad actually but Pocket casts is so much better.

Saiyan-Rox

Great looking the pixel XL so far, battery life has been great for me and it's fast.

I do have a little screen burn though mainly the on screen buttons (and no my screen is hardly ever at max brightness) one thing I really hate about AMOLED.

this_guy

At the very least, the Pixel has a top camera along side the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7+. No OIS doesn't matter if it's still the best or among the best.

Husker86

I mean, I can imaging the iPhone is able to do a similar shot. Dude just only had a pixel on him.

Similar, sure. But at some point you have to give some credibility to people who use all of these phones all the time for their job (as hard as that is for some people in regards to The Verge staff).

Noema

The camera on the Pixels is legit. Whether it's better than the iPhone or the S7 or not is less important than the fact that it's on the same level, finally. Video is mind blowing as well. Other than some weird wobbly EIS-induced artifacts it's pretty mind blowing.

And it's fast. HDR+ has always been great for low light shots, even on the N6, but until now it has been so slow that it makes you break the phone in half. The Pixel allows burst photos with HDR+ on.

Question is if such a good camera justifies such a high price on such a meh phone otherwise.

It's sort of frustrating that most of the other selling points about the Pixel are software based, like the Assistant.

wilflare

Is it a sub now? I bought access to it when it first launched and it was a one-off fee.

it's a one time $9 fee. Worth it IMO. I also love it has native Chromecast support.

Such a great app. Chokeful of features yet intuitive and beautifully designed. Worth every penny.

I used to use Antenna pod wich is an open source app. Not bad actually but Pocket casts is so much better.

my bad. guess I should give it a go again.
the last time I actively used podcasts was with iTunes (and on my PC).

guess Pocket Casts should be better than iTunes in managing a podcast library and all that?

and my 6P just shut down on me with 15% battery left...

I took a photo with the Pixel that changed my mind about the iPhone

The picture in this article is incredible. Just looking at it makes me regret this iPhone purchase :(

This camera!!! �� �� ��

do people mostly use Flickr for their photo library? I've been on mostly Google Photos.

Laekon

At the very least, the Pixel has a top camera along side the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7+. No OIS doesn't matter if it's still the best or among the best.

OIS does matter in my opinion. People post a pic they took with their phone and it looks good to them. You then see it on Facebook on your laptop or 23" monitor and it looks like shit. The 5X was a huge step up for me, I think, not just because of the better sensor but because the OIS lead to less blurry photos that I didn't notice till later on.

OIS was a big part of my past stand alone camera purchases before it became standard. The Pixel is now the only high end phone without it that I know of.

this_guy

OIS does matter in my opinion. People post a pic they took with their phone and it looks good to them. You then see it on Facebook on your laptop or 23" monitor and it looks like shit. The 5X was a huge step up for me, I think, not just because of the better sensor but because the OIS lead to less blurry photos that I didn't notice till later on.

OIS was a big part of my past stand alone camera purchases before it became standard. The Pixel is now the only high end phone without it that I know of.

Do you mean the Nexus 5x? If so I'm glad that you noticed how good the low light pictures were thanks to OIS. Thing is, the Nexus 5x didn't have OIS. The Pixel camera is an upgraded version of last year's Nexus.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review/6

NotBacon

No OIS doesn't matter if it's still the best or among the best.

Been saying this for weeks. It's hilarious that some people say the lack of OIS is reason to discredit the phone. Very few people care about the underlying tech. Consumers just want the best damn pictures, and Pixel succeeds.

tzare

Maybe with ois instead of being at the same level than s7 or iphone 7, would be the best.
Because if its software processing that can be ported to other phones, something has already been done with 6p afaik, then it is not something tied to pixel phones.

Man Open Camera fucks up in low light and HDR on but gives a kinda cool effect

bSpAxjSR8TxB2jVtB1GyTBCO5kc1S0OT21x-dcUp4o19SHEjIZifjjIdte2dYWQSjV2Y-qUWKjfQCzg=w609-h770-rw

er8H1WDjw-l-En-Du6ptzzt_PyfExEMhBAzyZ_BMaCcFbyq9mZqYOIBmrNwhUfZWS3t2Fe84ZM1tMqU=w1022-h770-rw

RuGalz

Maybe with ois instead of being at the same level than s7 or iphone 7, would be the best.
Because if its software processing that can be ported to other phones, something has already been done with 6p afaik, then it is not something tied to pixel phones.

the sensor is limited by physics at this point, having ois isn't going to change the results in auto modes. using hdr also prefer having higher shutter speed which means ois won't do anything.

Oh shit I didn't notice til right now that Google maps is actually keeping track of traffic lights. I was stopped at turning lane and it only told me to turn 5 seconds before it turned green to turn

Top Bottom