• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

RuGalz

It's the same objective but not the same approach. It's the difference between getting you to do something with a carrot or with a stick. If you're going to get the phone anyway then might as well take the carrot

Hence I said it's a new form of contract. But it's meaningless distinction. Fine, if you are already planning to get the phone and already planning ot use Tmo, it's purely beneficial. But if you are enticed to purchase Pixel and switch to Tmo, you are still signing up with a new type of plan and you are still having to be on it for 24 months to receive full benefits. The current Tmo One prices isn't as good as older plans any more. In a way it's worse than old contracts because your up front cost is higher. I simply don't understand why there's such a hard line between old and new style of contract as if the new ones are sooo much better.

For me, coming from older Tmo plan, taking this contract would cost me way more in long term.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So Verizon is selling the Moto Z Droid Play for $10 a month over two years (essentially two year contract). That makes it $240 which seems like a great price to me. Considering my family has a Verizon employee discount arrangement and we're not likely to switch for years, any drawbacks to this phone? Would love to get it for my wife.

So Verizon is selling the Moto Z Droid Play for $10 a month over two years (essentially two year contract). That makes it $240 which seems like a great price to me. Considering my family has a Verizon employee discount arrangement and we're not likely to switch for years, any drawbacks to this phone? Would love to get it for my wife.

Definitely worth it. Great battery life and medium specs. The only meh thing is the CPU and GPU but if she doesn't play big graphical games then she's good. The Moto mods are cool and I'm a big fan of the style swap backs.

tzare

Is I like it supposed to be a default playlist or something? Because I don't have it.
Once you add some songs it should be in playlists section in music library. It appears as the first automatic playlist,called thumbs up. Just pin it and songs that you thumb up will automatically download when connected to wifi ( depending on your settings of course)

wilflare

Are you mostly on WiFi or cellular? How good is reception?

mostly LTE while commuting - mostly green
WiFi at home/ at work - good signals too.

oh fuck! finally unread count

what are you referring to?

Launcher shortcuts added in Nova Beta. Pretty useless outside of Google apps at this point.

I lock my Nova... so shortcuts work in a not so inituitive manner with that enabled

Gambit61

I love mine so far. You can easily get 2 days out of one charge with it or 3 days if you get the Inicipio battery mod.

mackattk

Really enjoying the phone. Haven't had any lag or problems so far. It's a great phone as long as you don't play some of the highest graphically intense games.

Hoping they come out with a wireless mod without the battery to keep it slim and lightweight.

Fatalah

Moto M looks good to me, but it has a midrange processor.

Nice big battery, and I love how they moved the fingerprint scanner to the back!

5.5" is too large for me though -- where are you Moto X?!

Moto-M-leak-Motorola-Lenovo-630x417.jpg

To be fair checking the reviews of the WBUR app make it sound like an issue with the app and not the device. There are several complaints about it randomly stopping and needing to be restarted and they are before the Pixel was even out. The TuneIn app has complaints of the same issue although it cannot be said if all of the people are using Pixels or not, but I would kind of chalk this up to app quality.

It's in the hidden developers menu (the one where you have to hut settings like 10 times or something)

This implementation is horrible. It puts the text inside the battery icon and makes it hard to read the percentage. I wants a percentage option without battery icon. It's been in cyanogenmod for years.

HowZatOZ

Banned
What's a good keyboard that isn't SwiftKey? In using Minuum at the moment and its reached end of trial but I'm not 100% on board with it. Using it I've found the mash prediction is alright, but it won't pick up some styles of writing like I'm comes out as in of I don't tap to correct.

Jeffrey

i still prefer swiftkey because it remembers emails which is always a pain to type out.

google keyboard is quite good these days.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't believe they took this long to include a fucking restart button into stock android
Used to have it in the Gingerbread days.

This implementation is horrible. It puts the text inside the battery icon and makes it hard to read the percentage. I wants a percentage option without battery icon. It's been in cyanogenmod for years.
It looks better than two numbers next to the clock, which is more numbers.

Hasney

What's a good keyboard that isn't SwiftKey? In using Minuum at the moment and its reached end of trial but I'm not 100% on board with it. Using it I've found the mash prediction is alright, but it won't pick up some styles of writing like I'm comes out as in of I don't tap to correct.

Chrooma

tzare

It looks better than two numbers next to the clock, which is more numbers.

it looks like shit and is unreadeable. Just give the option, we will choose. easy. SUt like many other oems do. Stock android is sometimes annoying with some basic features just left behind because who knows.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
it looks like shit and is unreadeable. Just give the option, we will choose. easy. SUt like many other oems do. Stock android is sometimes annoying with some basic features just left behind because who knows.
Not everything needs to be an option all the time. The current implementation is perfect.

Asgaro

huh, seems like the new mi 5s destroys the pixel xl in terms of app boot up and loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frY2oxX4oM0

lower resolution more ram and higher clocked processor helps, but still.

wonder how the pixel small compares with 1080p screen?

lmao this is amazing.

And yeah, the specs are different but still: the Pixel is wayy more expensive. The price should showcase a perfect device but it clearly isn't.
I shit on Apple because they aren't perfect. Now I'll shit on Pixel for a full year until they announce something decent.

Mindwipe

audio cutting out due to memory management is definitely not Samsung-like.

wasn't it those Sony Xperia phones that did that?

No, harsh RAM management was definitely a Samsung thing. The Xperias don't do it short of, say, trying to play Pokemon Go and listen to a Podcast at the same time. And at that point they're legitimately running short of RAM. It's crazy how heavy Pokemon Go is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The Google Keyboard is great for my needs.

yyzjohn

Banned
"lol Android"

can someone with a Pixel reproduce this?

Google Keyboard

I bluetooth stream podcasts using pocketcast with no issue (although I download the podcast first not live streaming radio). Have yet to test Tune-in which might be what he's talking about.

RuGalz

No, harsh RAM management was definitely a Samsung thing.

The harsher ram management in this case is a Nougat thing. Apps need to do more to stay alive. But I haven't ran into streaming over BT issue personally so it's probably just whatever app the person's using. Maybe he just needs to take that app out of battery optimization path.

huh, seems like the new mi 5s destroys the pixel xl in terms of app boot up and loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frY2oxX4oM0

lower resolution more ram and higher clocked processor helps, but still.

wonder how the pixel small compares with 1080p screen?

How is this even a win considering the phone has double the specs of the Pixel but will have shitty software to boot that won't make a difference a year in with that phone?

Yall are grasping at everything to shit on the Pixel that will still be smoother than any high spec phone that will disappoint 6 months in. Why do this? ⚰️

Bboy AJ

How is this even a win considering the phone has double the specs of the Pixel but will have shitty software to boot that won't make a difference a year in with that phone?

Yall are grasping at everything to shit on the Pixel that will still be smoother than any high spec phone that will disappoint 6 months in. Why do this? ⚰️
What phone did you own before a Pixel

Hasney

Won't make a difference in what way? Why will that phone disappoint 6 months in when the Pixel won't? How's the side by side testing FROM THE FUTURE?!

this_guy

You've been way too sensitive about anything that's not positive about the Pixel. It's just a phone.

Jeffrey

aren't xiaomi stuff pretty decently optimized anyways?

Don't they do weekly updates? Or was that oppo or some other chinese company.

One is half-price of the other, and blows it away in performance.

Folks can live with MIUI and an outdated OS version if they can save hundreds of dollars in the process, they can buy two Xiaomis for one Pixel.

tariniel

Really dumb question about waterproofing... for the phones that have none, is there a chance I could damage it with it being in my pocket at the gym from sweat? My current iPhone has been damp a couple of times depending on what shorts I'm wearing. I leave it in my pocket for music.

That's basically the only situation I can think of where waterproofing might matter for me. Interested in several phones but the Pixel and V20 both don't have waterproofing as far as I know.

Jeffrey

Really dumb question about waterproofing... for the phones that have none, is there a chance I could damage it with it being in my pocket at the gym from sweat? My current iPhone has been damp a couple of times depending on what shorts I'm wearing. I leave it in my pocket for music.

That's basically the only situation I can think of where waterproofing might matter for me. Interested in several phones but the Pixel and V20 both don't have waterproofing as far as I know.

Shouldn't be a problem unless you sweat gallons. Like... I've never had a phone in my life ruined from being in my sweaty gym shorts in my life. Is that even a thing?

I don't sweat that much though.

andthebeatgoeson

My previous phone wasn't water proof and survived a water ride at six flags.

It's rated for water resistance so yeah you'll be fine. I've used my HTC one m8 in the rain many times and have had zero issues short or long term.

Top Bottom