• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

acm2000

joAR45X.png

acm2000

nexus 6p 7.1.1 Beta is giving me the same mediocre battery life as before

settings>accounts>google

disable failing google syncs, for me i believe the "news & weather" app stuck in a sync fail loop was draining my battery (pre 7.1.1 update) and that already increased my battery life across an average day by 20%, then after 7.1.1 its even higher thanks to the wifi handover bugs being fixed

this worked for me and both my 6P owning friends

wilflare

settings>accounts>google

disable failing google syncs, for me i believe the "news & weather" app stuck in a sync fail loop was draining my battery (pre 7.1.1 update) and that already increased my battery life across an average day by 20%, then after 7.1.1 its even higher thanks to the wifi handover bugs being fixed

what else did you disable?
battery life is worse for me lol

tzare

What's the most efficient way to get my entire Google Music library on my device rather than having to stream it? Make a playlist that includes every album in my collection and then download the playlist to my phone? Over wifi obviously.

just click on 'i' like it' and have that list downloaded when on wifi.

wilflare

nothing, just the few google sync items that were failing, the always on ok google doesnt work in 7.1.1 but i doubt that adds much to the battery

hmm when is it not working for you? it works well on mine.

do you keep WiFi and BT on? I'm wondering what is causing the wakelocks on my freshly wiped phone...

I don't even have Google Docs, Music, Movies, News & Weather installed :/

acm2000

hmm when is it not working for you? it works well on mine.

do you keep WiFi and BT on? I'm wondering what is causing the wakelocks on my freshly wiped phone...

I don't even have Google Docs, Music, Movies, News & Weather installed :/

wifi always on during sleep, bluetooth always on

Jeffrey

Wish Google would open up other devices for project fi already.

Let me use a phone with a huge battery for travel like the new LE phones or moto X play.

Noema

what else did you disable?
battery life is worse for me lol

It's not really about disabling anything. It's making sure none of those sync services are falling into a loop where they fail to sync and then just keep trying over and over killing battery.

I had the same problem with my nexus 6 on Nougat and disabling and re-enabling sync settings fixed it.

Of course this is not the root of all battery issues. It just deals with a very specific Nougat problem with high Android system drain.

Really the only way to reliably diagnose battery drain is with apps like Better Battery Stats which can very deeply inspect what's going on and causing Android system, Android OS or Google Play Services drain.

RuGalz

It's just another way to entice people to switch off from the older, cheaper plans and sign a new 2 years contract. Not giving up on my cheap plan.

It's just another way to entice people to switch off from the older, cheaper plans and sign a new 2 years contract. Not giving up on my cheap plan.

Project Fi is a better deal and value for me so I don't care about this promo but I am pretty sure Tmobile has no contracts. However, they force you to receive the credit for the Pixel over a long period of time. Either way its still a pretty good deal if you are up for getting TMobile service for a while.

RuGalz

Project Fi is a better deal and value for me so I don't care about this promo but I am pretty sure Tmobile has no contracts. However, they force you to receive the credit for the Pixel over a long period of time. Either way its still a pretty good deal if you are up for getting TMobile service for a while.

Receiving credits over a period of 24 months is in essence a contract -- it's just not being called a contract.

Receiving credits over a period of 24 months is in essence a contract -- it's just not being called a contract.

Its similar but its not the same. This is gifted money / credit for becoming a customer that brings the Pixel to their network. You will receive portions of that credit as long as you are a customer.

There isn't any commitment as far as I can see like a contract. Also, contracts are when you pay the phone off inside your monthly service bill which is not a discount.

That is not the case here. The phone is being discounted and the discount grows the longer you are a customer.

RuGalz

Its similar but its not the same.

This is straight up gifted money for becoming a customer that brings the Pixel to their network. You will receive portions of that gifted money as long as you are a customer.

There isn't any commitment as far as I can see like a contract.

Let's not kid ourselves over semantics. You are gifted $325 over 24 months. If you decide to leave early your termination fee is basically the left over, ungifted amount. It's simply a new form of contract.

Let's not kid ourselves over semantics. You are gifted $325 over 24 months. If you decide to leave early your termination fee is basically the left over, ungifted amount. It's simply a new form of contract.

Call it whatever you want but its not the same as traditional contracts. Contracts don't give you half off a phone. They hide the cost in a monthly bill which is way way worse.

RuGalz

Call it whatever you want but its not the same as traditional contracts. Contracts don't give you half off a phone. They hide the cost in a monthly bill which is way way worse.

Sure but a contract is a contract. This IS a contract doesn't matter if it's better than before. You do sign a Equipment Installment Plan contract when you sign up with these type of deals. As I said, the whole point is to entice a person to stay on for at least 24 months in order to gain the benefits and also for Tmo to rip the benefits.

this_guy

It's a contract. Iphones on contract used to be $199 or you could buy it outright for $650. This is costing you upfront $650 and you get a small amount credited back. I'd rather get the money upfront if I'm doing any type of service agreement (and service agreements are basically contracts)

Blackhead

Redarse

It's the same objective but not the same approach. It's the difference between getting you to do something with a carrot or with a stick. If you're going to get the phone anyway then might as well take the carrot

Jeffrey

wish AT&T would do something similar. They probably will sooner or later to bandwagon on.

That would be near enough to convince me to snag a pixel, maybe.

It's a contract. Iphones on contract used to be $199 or you could buy it outright for $650. This is costing you upfront $650 and you get a small amount credited back. I'd rather get the money upfront if I'm doing any type of service agreement (and service agreements are basically contracts)

This is not the same at all. It does not look like you even read my post or understand how traditional phone contracts work.

You are still paying full price for the phone in your iPhone scenario. $200 down on the first day and then $450 over the course of 2 years inside your monthly carrier bill. ($650 total cost). Pay full retail price no matter when you leave due to contract breaking fees.

This Tmobile promo for the Pixel you pay half the price of the phone. $650 on first day then receive $325 credit over the course of 2 years. ($325 total cost). Leave early you end up paying closer to the retail price but not the full $650.

23qwerty

settings>accounts>google

I haven't any failing syncs as far as I can see

this_guy

This is not the same at all. It does not look like you even read my post or understand how traditional phone contracts work.

You are still paying full price for the phone in your iPhone scenario. $200 down on the first day and then $450 over the course of 2 years inside your monthly carrier bill. ($650 total cost). Pay full retail price no matter when you leave due to contract breaking fees.

This Tmobile promo for the Pixel you pay half the price of the phone. $650 on first day then receive $325 credit over the course of 2 years. ($325 total cost). Leave early you end up paying closer to the retail price but not the full $650.

Right - it's a different type of contract. But it's a contract. A contract is an agreement between 2 parties. Party A does something and in return receives something from party B. You're taking T-Mobile's marketing department's definition of a contract to try to make it seem not as bad. You do understand what a contract is, right?

As for pricing - unlimited plans from Sprint and T-Mobile were cheaper a few years ago compared to T-Mobile's One plan when contracts were still a thing. This is taking into consideration subsidized pricing plus rate plans back then. People with legacy plans that can still get subsidized pricing choose to do so because their plans are cheaper.

wilflare

It's not really about disabling anything. It's making sure none of those sync services are falling into a loop where they fail to sync and then just keep trying over and over killing battery.

I had the same problem with my nexus 6 on Nougat and disabling and re-enabling sync settings fixed it.

Of course this is not the root of all battery issues. It just deals with a very specific Nougat problem with high Android system drain.

Really the only way to reliably diagnose battery drain is with apps like Better Battery Stats which can very deeply inspect what's going on and causing Android system, Android OS or Google Play Services drain.

I don't have any failing syncs either :/
still getting slightly less than 3hr SOT... w 20% left :/

Right - it's a different type of contract. But it's a contract. A contract is an agreement between 2 parties. Party A does something and in return receives something from party B. You're taking T-Mobile's marketing department's definition of a contract to try to make it seem not as bad. You do understand what a contract is, right?

As for pricing - unlimited plans from Sprint and T-Mobile were cheaper a few years ago compared to T-Mobile's One plan when contracts were still a thing. This is taking into consideration subsidized pricing plus rate plans back then. People with legacy plans that can still get subsidized pricing choose to do so because their plans are cheaper.

I'm fully aware that its still a contract and this was already discussed with others.

I was responding to you saying this was the same as your traditional contract iPhone scenario. Which its not. This is a much much better deal when it comes to phone costs.

yyzjohn

Banned
Um, the screen isn't at the top of the list, so that means you've basically not used the phone very much during this period. So, yeah, if you don't use your phone, the battery lasts longer.

I was gonna say, you just basically put the phone down and never use it? Sure, that's good battery life...

this_guy

I'm more interested in what Google has planned for their Messenger texting app since the codebase has references to RCS (rich communication services, it'll make text messaging more similar to iMessage, whatsapp, etc). RCS texting for everyone would be great and people wouldn't clamor for iMessage as much any more.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...-support-and-much-more-apk-teardown-download/

Of course if Allo adds true sms fall back that would work too.

HawkeyeIC

I'm more interested in what Google has planned for their Messenger texting app since the codebase has references to RCS (rich communication services, it'll make text messaging more similar to iMessage, whatsapp, etc). RCS texting for everyone would be great and people wouldn't clamor for iMessage as much any more.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...-support-and-much-more-apk-teardown-download/

Of course if Allo adds true sms fall back that would work too.

Any desktop app for Messenger? Only thing keeping me on hangouts at this point.

Top Bottom