• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Phab 2 Pro up for preorder

CwLz4caUIAAGhm-.jpg

$499

It's big and all, but the price pressure makes this a hard sell.

It's one of those mythical 652 devices so it's not slower like the 625 chip devices.

$500 though means you could get any number of 820 phones, and it's not as if they all have small screens despite not being 6.4" like this device.

Almost feels like 652 devices can't exist. Not enough price middle ground.

What if you plug in her phone for charging, and connect to WiFi? Maybe Google Photos' backup will trigger.

Not syncing. These tablets must have had the old gallery app in additional to Google photos which is probably what she used.

One thing I did notice is that I can log in with her Google account on the web version of android device manager. I then can remotely lock the device and send it a new lock screen password. It actually shows that I sent the request to the lock screen but it's not overriding the old PIN.

I also was able to get in as guest but that account is useless in the settings and cant change syncing on other account and cant turn on developer options.

clav

pound sign premium materials

Whoever started the whole glass is premium needs to go to engineering school and learn about materials, not some ad mouthpiece of marketing. Those people would probably fail first year weed out classes.

pound sign premium materials

Whoever started the whole glass is premium needs to go to engineering school and learn about materials, not some ad mouthpiece of marketing. Those people would probably fail first year weed out classes.

i like glass, it looks and feels nice, so i would call it premium in that regard, but yeah it should at least be reinforced or something

Jeffrey

whats the last phone that wasn't slippery as hell? They all gotta have those smooth curved metal sides these days.

I guess those galaxy actives and other plastic/rubbery phones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

don't drop your ceramic Mi Max then!

ck-b.jpg

Proof of this lies in a photograph taken of a Mi MIX after the unit reportedly slipped out of someone's hand at Xiaomi's store in Hangzhou. Gravity took over, and you can see from the photo that accompanies this story just what the results were. Not only did the screen break, but the ceramic body was damaged as well. We should point out that the 6.4-inch display does not offer Corning's Gorilla Glass protection.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chec...-when-it-slipped-out-of-someones-hand_id87313

Jeffrey

That's a bit more than a cracked screen lol. Like the phone is 'totaled'.

No wonder it's just a concept. Interesting that it's not gorilla glass.

clav

Yep. Learned my lesson. My scratches are very fine and more noticeable under really good lighting. Have it in case right now.

Put a screen protector over it if you want to cover up fine marks.

It'll just blend right in the film.

If it were me though, I wouldn't bother as I don't like glass back phones.

Mine still has no cracks; I've owned it since 2013.

It's great to know I don't need to fear a glass back in my next phone.

Yeah the hate that plastic gets is ridiculous despite the habit of still putting a plastic case over their expensive devices.

It's like no one remembers plastic's durability of Motorola + Nokia flip phones and candy bar phones.

reKon

Banned
took the plunge and picked up an S7 Edge Exynos version. Should be able to get me similar battery life to my Xperia Z3 Compact. I think I will just stick with this for the next year or so and wait to see what next year's flagships offer. Based on the current situation my guess that I would go with the next version of the Pixel or another Samsung flagship (exynos version only).

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Band 12 LTE won't work properly on the T-Mobile network even though the Exynos version has all the bands. I've read that people have had issues in the past and it's because T-Mobile has to approve the phones that can pick up their bands? I'm hoping that I still get the great coverage that I've been getting.

clav

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Band 12 LTE won't work properly on the T-Mobile network even though the Exynos version has all the bands. I've read that people have had issues in the past and it's because T-Mobile has to approve the phones that can pick up their bands? I'm hoping that I still get the great coverage that I've been getting.

Concern is VoLTE. You won't be able to call nor will someone be able to call you when you use Band 12 LTE. When you dial a number, call will fail. Case when this will be important is in an emergency.

Otherwise, data + texts should work.

Note 4. Awesome fake leather
Yup, I loved my Note 4. I'd have kept it for a few more years if I hadn't switched carriers recently. It might have been the favorite phone I've owned. My S7 Edge has better performance and being water proof is awesome, but I do miss the S-pen, the removable battery, and the S7's curved screen is pointless at best and causes unecessary glare at worst.

Honestly, I'd have liked the Note 4 even more if it had been all plastic. The metal rim was the only part of the device that got scuffed up. Sure it made it feel more "premium", but it didn't look that way once it got scratches and nicks.

reKon

Banned
Concern is VoLTE. You won't be able to call nor will someone be able to call you when you use Band 12 LTE. When you dial a number, call will fail. Case when this will be important is in an emergency.

Otherwise, data + texts should work.

sucks...

apparently there are some firmwares that be flashed from different countries in order to enable VoLTE. I hope I can find a solution that works.

Maddrical

Any Android smartwatches recommended around here? I hate googling for tech recommendations since a lot of the results are paid / sponsored. I've never owned an Android device before my Pixel XL, and I didn't give a shit about the Apple Watch. But I'm curious to see what's popular for Android smartwatches. Looks like the Huawei Watch is the 'official' Google watch since it's available from their store but I've really no idea.

tzare

Yup, I loved my Note 4. I'd have kept it for a few more years if I hadn't switched carriers recently. It might have been the favorite phone I've owned. My S7 Edge has better performance and being water proof is awesome, but I do miss the S-pen, the removable battery, and the S7's curved screen is pointless at best and causes unecessary glare at worst.

Honestly, I'd have liked the Note 4 even more if it had been all plastic. The metal rim was the only part of the device that got scuffed up. Sure it made it feel more "premium", but it didn't look that way once it got scratches and nicks.

couldn't agree more.
I am currently waiting for my new s7 edge , i guess i needed a better camera and since note 7 resulted in such failure, i did not want to wait more. I'll keep them both though, and just swap sims if needed, i already know i will miss some of my note 4 features... but camera is aging and i need better performance

Jeffrey

i feel like my next android device needs to have a 4000mah battery minimum.

Battery life is basically all that can hype me these days lol. SD830 6gb ram 4000+mah battery, that I can buy in the US with US warranty.

someone get on that.

Just remembered amazon is on 'holiday return policy mode' too. can return anything by Jan 31. They also have no restock fees for phones, so I just 'same day deliveried' a honor 8.

Hope its good! Gotta get myself hyped for mate 9 announcement somehow lol.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any app recommendations? Currently have ACR (Automatic Call Recorder, it records all phone calls), BitTorrent, Chrome, Dropbox, Facebook, Gmail, Google Rewards, Messenger, Play Books, Shazam, VLC and YouTube installed.

Any Apps y'all feel are particularly useful/overlooked?

Jeffrey

Anyone have any app recommendations? Currently have ACR (Automatic Call Recorder, it records all phone calls), BitTorrent, Chrome, Dropbox, Facebook, Gmail, Google Rewards, Messenger, Play Books, Shazam, VLC and YouTube installed.

Any Apps y'all feel are particularly useful/overlooked?

nova launcher, but thats only if you wanted more launcher stuff.

google opinion rewards for some free credit every once in a while.

I really dig inbox for emails, but thats preference. The emulators on the playstore are really nice too. I enjoy playing turn based games which are fine with virtual buttons.

If you use a phone with a snapdragon processor, look into a CAF browser like RS browser or Pyrope. Way faster than chrome, and has adblocking.

dawgparty

nova launcher, but thats only if you wanted more launcher stuff.

google opinion rewards for some free credit every once in a while.

I really dig inbox for emails, but thats preference. The emulators on the playstore are really nice too. I enjoy playing turn based games which are fine with virtual buttons.

If you use a phone with a snapdragon processor, look into a CAF browser like RS browser or Pyrope. Way faster than chrome, and has adblocking.

Any specific game recs? I just got a Nexus 6 and am itching for some RPG goodness.

Jeffrey

The LeEco sale is live, btw: $150 Le S3 and $300 Le Pro 3. How bad could they be once you change the launcher?

who knows!

gonna check the site for return policies.

edit: 15 days they pay for shipping. Seems standard.

lack of headphone jack is annoying but, 4000+mah battery on 1080p screen probably gives you Moto Z play battery life, but with a 821, for $300, probably worth dealing with the hefty skin.

RuGalz

The LeEco sale is live, btw: $150 Le S3 and $300 Le Pro 3. How bad could they be once you change the launcher?

Somethings can't be chagned. Read the link DrFunk posted in previous page:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...s-on-fantastic-value-with-some-big-drawbacks/
I'll dive deeper into the width and breadth of the changes to Android in the full review, but for the time being know that the notification bar has been gutted of all Quick Settings (they're on the screen that pops up when you press the app switch button instead).
Some of these software oddities can be circumvented, like the launcher, but most cannot. You'll have to adapt to your phone instead of your phone adapting to you.

I bought the S3 because I need a temp phone badly. Fingers crossed that there will be AOSP rom.

Top Bottom