• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Husker86

It has to be enabled by the app developer. It works in Allo right now, but not in Hangouts. =\

I bought it for the full $4 a couple years ago. As much as I enjoy it, I would happily pay twice that.

Messenger as well, surprisingly. I wonder how many SMS messaging apps support showing GIFs.

Jeffrey

nova is worth investing cash into atm because of its beta, which gives you all of nova goodness and some of the key features of pixel launcher as options (shortcuts for apps that support that (some are nougat +), google 'pill' and weather. slide up for app drawer etc.

current beta is stable enough to use daily.

this_guy

RCS (rich communication services) is starting to roll out in Google's Messenger sms app.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...ssenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/

This will make text messaging more similar to iMessage, whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc. You can see when people read your messages (or you can turn that off) and you can also send much bigger files (most picture messages are compressed to under 1 Mb when sent via sms/mms). RCS just has to be turned on by the carrier, and according to the article all the major US carriers except Verizon has done so.

RCS (rich communication services) is starting to roll out in Google's Messenger sms app.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...ssenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/

This will make text messaging more similar to iMessage, whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc. You can see when people read your messages (or you can turn that off) and you can also send much bigger files (most picture messages are compressed to under 1 Mb when sent via sms/mms). RCS just has to be turned on by the carrier, and according to the article all the major US carriers except Verizon has done so.

So what you're saying is, Verizon will never allow it. I wonder if the live Google Messenger will work with my car now. Normal text messages have stopped working a long time ago when it comes to connecting to my car.

How do I know if I got it? Is it a messenger update?

waxer

I think the Chinese are getting ahead of themselves. I love my Mate8 but why involved Porsche Design, slapped a crazy price on your new phone that looks just like a Note7/S7E with a logo that is even worse looking than SAMSUNG?

I want my 6GB Mate9, not this overpriced Porsche crap. It is cheaper to just steal the design....

I take it you have never been to china. Makes perfect sense for their market. Same as adding gold to a phone can get a heap of sales.

China has heaps of wealth and nothing to spend it on.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Glad RCS is starting.

I cancelled my Google Home preorder after reading reviews.

What were you expecting?

I'm not being snarky; I keep thinking that it'd be cool to have one, but can't figure out what I'd actually use it for.

We're gadget nerds. Is a reason needed?

One thing I like is you can cast video to Chromecasts with these things which is pretty unique and awesome.

Once the home matures a bit I will pick one up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
the hill with zero deaths?

The phone hasn't yet killed anyone and Samsung pulled it, I don't get it. We've gone soft as a culture, I remember back in the old days a phone that would set your car, hotel room, and airplane aisle on fire was something consumers would just put up with, so long as no one got killed.

The phone hasn't yet killed anyone and Samsung pulled it, I don't get it. We've gone soft as a culture, I remember back in the old days a phone that would set your car, hotel room, and airplane aisle on fire was something consumers would just put up with, so long as no one got killed.

it hasn't even maimed anyone!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What were you expecting?

I'm not being snarky; I keep thinking that it'd be cool to have one, but can't figure out what I'd actually use it for.
I don't know, either, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. What stopped me is that Google Home has a disconnect between Assistant and Now and Voice Tasks, it seems. Can't make Calendar appointments? Weird. Let them figure it out and I'll reconsider.

Plus it has a big ass power brick that's never pictured. That's inelegant.

So my wife got the Moto Play on Verizon's deal. It's impossibly thin. Borderline unusable without a bumper or case as there's nothing to hold onto. Incredible they packed all that tech into the tiny package.

not incredible at all. batteries take up more space than anything else inside phones.

Lol I love how no one gives a crap about a $300 SD 821 phone. Just goes to show that phones these days are much more than just the sum of their parts.

What were you expecting?

Glad RCS is starting.

I cancelled my Google Home preorder after reading reviews.

I assume neither of you have an Echo, because until you have a voice-activated speaker assistant, I agree that it's hard to imagine it's day-to-day utility. Once you do though... there's no going back.

As for the Home reviews, they're exactly what I expected since it was announced at I/O. It's an Echo with smarter smarts, a couple of extra bells and whistles (Cast support, native Google ecosystem support), but lacking in 3rd party support until the API hits later this year.

I got an Echo on day 1, and that was a fucking barren wasteland -- yet I still loved the thing. Home's starting point is much better, and I think they will close the gap pretty quickly.

All an OEM has to do is not have a trash skin and I'll consider their phone.

This. And it's why I don't care for these spec'd up phones with their kewl low price because I know the skins are shit and the phone won't get updated. It's a waste of money for me...let me just buy the real thing with the vanilla experience I want and call it a day.

Lol I love how no one gives a crap about a $300 SD 821 phone. Just goes to show that phones these days are much more than just the sum of their parts.

If it was from a well established brand i'd give more of a shit. It's clear LeEco is more about selling their own services on the phone than the phone itself, like who makes the icon on their launcher that normally pulls up an app drawer instead open an app of their own video service?

RuGalz

If it was from a well established brand i'd give more of a shit. It's clear LeEco is more about selling their own services on the phone than the phone itself, like who makes the icon on their launcher that normally pulls up an app drawer instead open an app of their own video service?

Similar philosophy as FireOS I guess. There's Xpose mod being worked on to disable most of that stuff but it might take a while before it's matured.

Jeffrey

Maybe I'm just not that picky? Give me the specs and the cheap price and I'll live with a funky interface. Can't be worse than old windows mobile.

What was the last hype phone here? Axon 7?

Still probably the phone of the year for me imo. Constant updates, great audio, great screen. 2 years warranty. Least amount of compromises for this price range.

RuGalz

Axon7's signal strength was terrible that I had to return it -- not worth keeping even at the mistake price.

If it isn't for the halo issue with Pixel camera I think I'd just bite the bullet. I just need a phone that will last me until Pixel 2. I think I will return the Le S3 now that I've fixed my sister's OPO and put Nougat on it after upgraded her to 6P. I'll deal with lack of fingerprint and band 12 for another year. Doing all these custom rom again just reminds me how much I dislike wasting my time with this stuff -- spend hours setting it up just to find that one edge case that isn't working a couple days later. The amount of time I waste costs way more than the premium price of Pixel phones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I remember the days of rooting every phone I owned and installing custom roms from xda

and I really don't remember when I stopped doing it

but I don't miss it.

It's not just the fucked up launcher or crapware a lot of Android phones come with, but they need to give me guaranteed updates similar to what the Pixel has such as 2 years of OS updates/3 years security updates for me to even take a look a them.

Well yeah. It's another piece of shit from China that's probably infested with malware/crapware and in all likelihood already abandoned for the Le Eco Le Garbage 4

Chris R

All an OEM has to do is not have a trash skin and I'll consider their phone.

Seriously, it's the terrible skins that turned me off from all of the other phones I was considering.

Even Moto's stuff is a little much but I was able to disable and remove a bunch of it.

Jeffrey

It's not just the fucked up launcher or crapware a lot of Android phones come with, but they need to give me guaranteed updates similar to what the Pixel has such as 2 years of OS updates/3 years security updates for me to even take a look a them.

I can can buy a Chinese phone annually for cheaper than the pixel xl equivalent every 2years so it kinda works out.

Are feature updates really something worth noting these days? Feel like both mobile ecosystems are packed to a brim already.

IOS 10 and nougat didn't really add anything game changing.

RuGalz

Wonder if it's coverage? Had no issues with axon 7 around here on at&t

The thing is, that's exactly when it really matters. If you are in a well covered areas, axon 7, while doesn't get as strong of signal will work just fine. If it's borderline then losing that few dB signal is significant.

Are feature updates really something worth noting these days? Feel like both mobile ecosystems are packed to a brim already.

Security patch is far more important to me with all these zero day vulnerabilities. Android is open source, it's a bit easier for hackers to find exploits. Nougat's notification while sounded small on paper makes a pretty big difference to me in real usage, and the double tap recent app to switch app. Don't care a bit about split screen though.

I can can buy a Chinese phone annually for cheaper than the pixel xl equivalent every 2years so it kinda works out.

IOS 10 and nougat didn't really add anything game changing.

But this is a waste imo. You can have 1 good phone for two years vs spending more money on maybe three POS that do nothing and have even worst short comings than the more expensive ones outside of some kewl tech that largely goes unused (because devs don't use them or support them..a downside from being a low brand no named company ) and the OEM barely supports them when they drop the sequel 6 months later...so like I don't get it...

And it's not just exclusive to you but other people in this thread who do this while having the gall to talk down the obvious better phone like the Pixel. For all its shortcoming...nothing on the market in these low brand android phones come close. Not in skin (which I don't consider vanilla android a skin) camera quality, not in touch interface and feel, not in update support and security features, not in app compatibility and the list keeps going.

To each their own but I won't beta test crappy phones because of specs and then find out that they are just bad after the purchase is made. I've never felt that with any of the top brand android phones outside of LG. Even Samsung isn't that bad. And I get it, people are still going to argue that the price is the barrier and it does little to justify the price but I think it certainly justifies it when we are talking about phones that are over spec above it and still don't come close even with the low price...that's just how I see it.

Edit : and Btw, I'm not trashing anyone for their decision even though it sounds like my comment comes out as such. I'm not defending the Pixel either or being tight about it. It's just honest discussion about this phone has largely missed this android community which I was really hoping for when I came in. It's very enthusiast and that's cool because I like the different opinions. That's what I'm saying, but Pixel conversation just hasn't been practical and yes, it's frustrating a bit. Kind of expect more from the android community, that's all.

Hasney

I remember the days of rooting every phone I owned and installing custom roms from xda

and I really don't remember when I stopped doing it

but I don't miss it.

Probably when material design came out? You know, when the aesthetics of Android didn;t look like trash and need fixing?

Jeffrey

I mean in the end a 'skin' of a phone is basically the launcher (can be replaced), scroll animations (huawei is more ios ish), notifications, multitasker, and settings.

90% of the time you are in your usual apps that look the same on any android device. Even the most intrusive skins will ultimately affect your day to day in the minimal.

My priority these days really are just specs and battery and cost.

My le pro is coming tuesday so maybe my mind will change then, but i'm pretty sure I should be able to tolerate it's nonsense skin as long as it runs fine. And with it being a 821 on a 1080p display, something would have to be super wrong to have a not smooth experience, and that is why there is a 14 day return policy.

No Love

Banned
Axon7's signal strength was terrible that I had to return it -- not worth keeping even at the mistake price.

If it isn't for the halo issue with Pixel camera I think I'd just bite the bullet. I just need a phone that will last me until Pixel 2. I think I will return the Le S3 now that I've fixed my sister's OPO and put Nougat on it after upgraded her to 6P. I'll deal with lack of fingerprint and band 12 for another year. Doing all these custom rom again just reminds me how much I dislike wasting my time with this stuff -- spend hours setting it up just to find that one edge case that isn't working a couple days later. The amount of time I waste costs way more than the premium price of Pixel phones.

Wonder if it's coverage? Had no issues with axon 7 around here on at&t

Nope, Axon 7 has terrible signal. Tired of it failing me when I need it most. Gonna sell it and switch to Pixel XL.

AndyD

aka andydumi
not incredible at all. batteries take up more space than anything else inside phones.

It's got a 3500mah battery, which would lead you to believe it would be a more substantial phone. They could have probably doubled the battery size and still been a perfectly acceptable phone. I know the moto mods do just that, but they could have done it to begin with.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm just shocked at the update situation on my Axon 7. I got another one last night, I'm not used to a non Nexus Android phone being this well supported. Aside from the camera, this has been a terrific phone for me. $400. I'm not sure how I'll be able to justify an $800 phone given that I don't keep them for years anyway.

Top Bottom