• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Somethings can't be chagned. Read the link DrFunk posted in previous page:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11...big-drawbacks/
I bought the S3 because I need a temp phone badly. Fingers crossed that there will be AOSP rom.

$300 though. multitasking looks weird, but I can't imagine it taking too long to get used to it.

Think i might pick one up for my dad. his OPO's battery is near dead. Don't think the heavy skins would bother him much. He uses a bluetooth headset anyways.

Jeffrey

ordered a le pro 3 and a honor 8 today lol.

will probably return the honor 8 after messing with it a bit.

Fun story. went back to china to visit grandparents recently. Surprised to see my grandpa got a smartphone (some cheap huawei). He been complaining about how everyone was on a smartphone everywhere, but then he got interested... and he's now one of them now lol.

Why would you order something like that, without waiting for reviews first?

Because I have an Echo, and it's awesome except it lacks video-to-television functionality and native support for Google services. Home supports both, plus it has a fairly trivial upfront cost.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will be better than Echo; I'm just curious about the speaker quality and any unforeseen pain points that might get mentioned in a review.

Quasar

Because I have an Echo, and it's awesome except it lacks video-to-television functionality and native support for Google services. Home supports both, plus it has a fairly trivial upfront cost.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will be better than Echo; I'm just curious about the speaker quality and any unforeseen pain points that might get mentioned in a review.

Frankly the main pain points I see are:

1. Ties to a single account in a multi person house.
2. Small ecosystem compared to the more mature amazon one.

Point 2 is at least solvable by time.

Point 1 seems really hard to solve with recognising people by their voices so it could switch accounts. Or custom trigger words for each person.

Of course I guess the biggest issue / place to stumble us the mic quality.

Man, having an amazing battery life is a game changer. Now I go out to jog/shopping/etc with my phone having 18% left without having to worry about running out of juice. With my Moto X 2014 that was something I just couldn't do.

Frankly the main pain points I see are:

1. Ties to a single account in a multi person house.
2. Small ecosystem compared to the more mature amazon one.

Point 2 is at least solvable by time.

Point 1 seems really hard to solve with recognising people by their voices so it could switch accounts. Or custom trigger words for each person.

Of course I guess the biggest issue / place to stumble us the mic quality.

They did say they're working on #1, and #2 is a later this year sort of thing. Personally, I've always found the way Alexa handles the skills to be awful; I barely use them, so I hope Google's is more seamless, natural.

Early word from people is that the mic is excellent, and it can pick up your voice over loud music and at a distance. We shall see soon, though.

Groof

Lmao I can see them placing their newest intern on the job "Hunsoo you were in London for a week, write this thing for us!"

Jeffrey

amazon prime is too good. honor 8 ordered in the mornin' arrived right now.

god damn is this a slick looking phone that has the slipperies back ever.

gotta be careful.

amazon prime is too good. honor 8 ordered in the mornin' arrived right now.

god damn is this a slick looking phone that has the slipperies back ever.

gotta be careful.

glass backs on phones is stupid.

who thought this was a good idea?

tech journalists, that's who...

but hey, wireless Qi charging!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I still haven't found a text messaging app that I'm happy with on android. Gonna give Google Messenger a try, it got an update recently.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
IPhones are water resistant with metal backs. Samsung does water resistance and qi wireless with plastic.

Edit: I just quit textra. Don't like the ads, was eating up battery, then started to give me apn errors.

Jeffrey

seems like oneplus 4 rumors are already happening.

summer 2017, sd830, 2k display, 4000 mah battery, 8gb ram (wut).

sure would be nice if they got expandable storage someday though. Besides apple and google and oneplus, what other notable 2016 phones dont' have sd card?

They need to disable these phones. Make them only work for emergency calls only and force consumers to return it. Too dangerous to risk some idiot taking it on a plane or letting a young child play with it.

and how many people were seriously injured again?

are they even still doing the thing they were doing?

flossy carter still got his and so do i!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
and how many people were seriously injured again?

are they even still doing the thing they were doing?

flossy carter still got his and so do i!

As much as I've seen you post for other people/companies to "take the L", you sure resist taking yours. I know you basically stanned this phone for months before it even released, but it's over man. Just take that L already. Samsung did, you can too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As much as I've seen you post for other people/companies to "take the L", you sure resist taking yours. I know you basically stanned this phone for months before it even released, but it's over man. Just take that L already. Samsung did, you can too.
Haha yeah he just needs to take the L before we have to donate to his hospital bills gofundme

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me sad that the only Nova Launcher function I need (hide useless default apps like the default browser and default email app) is only availible on the paid version.

Jeffrey

It makes me sad that the only Nova Launcher function I need (hide useless default apps like the default browser and default email app) is only availible on the paid version.
Not sure what it's currently priced but it goes on sale to around a dollar before. Worth it for just for that feature!

RuGalz

For a well supported app, 5 bucks or whatever isn't that much. you are going to be using it for years. Or just use Google opinion reward to pay for it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
For a well supported app, 5 bucks or whatever isn't that much. you are going to be using it for years. Or just use Google opinion reward to pay for it.

I actually have $7 or $8 on the Google opinions rewards app but i've never bought something and the credit is slowly expiring.

I mean what if down the line there is something I really want?

Pyrokai

This is going to be a question out of left field, but what is the purpose of apps like WhatsApp, Line, and Kik? Like, I don't really see a benefit to using them unless I somehow convince my entire circle of friends and family to use it as well, which just isn't going to happen.

On the same token, I ask this about Allo. I really like Allo as a messaging app, but no one uses it. Why can't I use it as my SMS messenger? Can you use any of these as your default SMS app and still get the benefit of doing so? Like, doesn't Line have stickers or something? Would those work as SMS or would the other user have to be using Line as well?

I just don't get it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
GIFs built in to Google keyboard? About time.

It has to be enabled by the app developer. It works in Allo right now, but not in Hangouts. =\

I bought it for the full $4 a couple years ago. As much as I enjoy it, I would happily pay twice that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I actually have $7 or $8 on the Google opinions rewards app but i've never bought something and the credit is slowly expiring.

I mean what if down the line there is something I really want?
Then you use cash to buy the thing down the line.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Mate 9 Previews:

http://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-mate-9

http://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mate-9-review-726419/

edit: more

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Huawei-Mate-9-hands-on-meet-the-new-dual-camera-phablet_id87371

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10813/huawei-mate-9-launch-and-hands-on-kirin-960-59in-fhd-daydream-vr

PD_Front%20Left_575px.png

The Porsche Design (sigh) version is 1440p and $1300

edit 2: the porsche version has a stylus! china don't careeeeeeeeeeeee

tzare

seems like oneplus 4 rumors are already happening.

summer 2017, sd830, 2k display, 4000 mah battery, 8gb ram (wut).

sure would be nice if they got expandable storage someday though. Besides apple and google and oneplus, what other notable 2016 phones dont' have sd card?

they need to have a better camera this time around. Res of specs are almost a given considering previous entries

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my wife got the Moto Play on Verizon's deal. It's impossibly thin. Borderline unusable without a bumper or case as there's nothing to hold onto. Incredible they packed all that tech into the tiny package.

Jeffrey

they really should skin the chrome icon to match with the others lol.

anyone here with a mate 8? how is 1080p at 6"?

kind of a boring release, hope emui 5.0 comes to honor 8 sooner than later.

nice the phone is coming to the US, but I wish the curved 2k version had a 'normal version' option too that's not $1300.

So my wife got the Moto Play on Verizon's deal. It's impossibly thin. Borderline unusable without a bumper or case as there's nothing to hold onto. Incredible they packed all that tech into the tiny package.

I find it to be fine. It's thin in the case of that it has a 3510mah battery thin, but it's not that thin. The Moto Z is thin. Just put a style cover on it and should be good.

EMUI is borderline unusable. The launcher itself is ok I can live with it, but it's just too convoluted and has a ton of stuff and makes everything more complicated than it should be.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
they need to have a better camera this time around. Res of specs are almost a given considering previous entries

They need to fix the display too. The current display has issues even with the updates, and it's pentile which hurts @1080p as well.

Jeffrey

xda interview does have camera as the company's priority now.

tons of 'flagship killers' now, so the next step is $400 phone that can match the googles and samsung and apple at low light.

longdi

Banned

I think the Chinese are getting ahead of themselves. I love my Mate8 but why involved Porsche Design, slapped a crazy price on your new phone that looks just like a Note7/S7E with a logo that is even worse looking than SAMSUNG?

F70gDwB.jpg

I want my 6GB Mate9, not this overpriced Porsche crap. It is cheaper to just steal the design....

Top Bottom