• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Joe

Is WiFi messaging over the new stock sms messenger carrier/device specific? It's not working on my Moto G4 on AT&T.

Samsung is pulling out the big guns to encourage Note7 holdouts to turn in their phones. In the coming days, it will send out an OTA to all Note7s in the US that limits the battery to a 60% charge. So, it's not just T-Mobile. The new software will also nag you incessantly about returning the phone.

Samsung says that 85% of Note7 devices in the US have been returned, but that still leaves a lot of ticking time bombs out there. If you're still holding onto a Note7, it's time to give it up.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/04/samsung-will-push-ota-60-charge-limit-us-note7s-coming-days/

ON TO PLAN B

Quixzlizx

Is WiFi messaging over the new stock sms messenger carrier/device specific? It's not working on my Moto G4 on AT&T.

Yes. For instance, I think the only unlocked phones with call/SMS over wifi support on T-Mobile are the Nexus/Pixel phones. Everything else needs to be a T-Mo phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean in the end a 'skin' of a phone is basically the launcher (can be replaced), scroll animations (huawei is more ios ish), notifications, multitasker, and settings.

90% of the time you are in your usual apps that look the same on any android device. Even the most intrusive skins will ultimately affect your day to day in the minimal.

My priority these days really are just specs and battery and cost.

My le pro is coming tuesday so maybe my mind will change then, but i'm pretty sure I should be able to tolerate it's nonsense skin as long as it runs fine. And with it being a 821 on a 1080p display, something would have to be super wrong to have a not smooth experience, and that is why there is a 14 day return policy.

Bingo.

I'm in my launcher MAYBE 5% of my phone usage.

I'm also hardly ever in settings once I get my shit setup.

What I am in are my actual apps. Which is why I care more about app updates and UI compared to my phone skin. I care more how Chrome, Messenger, Gmail, Group Me, Pocket Casts ect... look and feel in all honesty. That and in app performance.

Give me good performance and battery.

Returning this POS ZUK Z2 because the skin is so bad. It uses a gesture system for controls in an awful way.

Hold dat L.

i'll hold it right next to my 256GB Micro SD card, Gear Fit2, $50 in bill credits, $45 in Samsung Pay money, my restored subsidized upgrade status so i can try again next year, the 2 months of pure joy i had using this device, the countless images and videos and GIFs i made with it and ... honestly, this sucks, 64GB really isn't enough for me. i don't know how y'all work in the slums of storage with such a paltry amount of hard data. the Note 7 is the best phone of 2016 and the only reason i'm giving it up is THEY FORCED MY HAND. i would have used it for 2 years if they didn't plan to sabotage the millions of units out there that haven't exploded. and i can't eve punish them for their shit. nobody competes. nobody has shit that's even in the same galaxy. i use my S Pen almost daily. the Samsung Galaxy Note line is so far ahead of everything else, i had to get the previous phone released last year to even come close to licking the asshole of the Note 7.

G2a8BMV.jpg

i'm keeping the Stylus this time too.

and the box.

swag.

RuGalz

This is an interesting bit I found on the LeEcco forum. But of course there's no guarantee of frequency.

Hi,

The 2 year software update is in fact required by Google if shipping phones with Google Android and services in USA. So LeEco is fully aware of this requirement and will also follow this, so LePro3 is guaranteed to get Software Updates for 2 years.

Thanks very much for considering LeEco.

Remi.​

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Literally holding that L. Well played, faceless.

Listen, the Note 7 was my next phone, even after the initial recall I was willing to give it a chance, but it is what it is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You could just get a ROM to avoid Samsung's defeat. Do that instead.

...does that exist? If so, that would be awesome.

Returning this POS ZUK Z2 because the skin is so bad. It uses a gesture system for controls in an awful way.

Hold dat L.
What? The gesture system works flawlessly. It's one of its best features. I told you about the skin, too. You can install CM13, yadda yadda...
Btw, it's not a pos just because you can't use basic gestures properly, or you have problems with its skin.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What? The gesture system works flawlessly. It's one of its best features. I told you about the skin, too. You can install CM13, yadda yadda...
Btw, it's not a pos just because you can't use basic gestures properly, or you have problems with its skin.
I bought a Robin instead. Much happier.

Jeffrey

with kirin 960 supporting cdma,

2017 could be nice for verizon/sprint folks if they want some huawei goodness.

wonder if mate 9 will work.

Bboy AJ

Actually, I do like the gestures. It's just annoying to have a hardware button on it. If it were a gesture area, it would be better. I also don't like the random Chinese notifications popping in every so often.

The phone's pretty good for $250. I do hope Google implements a gesture bar for the OS. It's slick.

Hesemonni

Banned
Holy shit I'm legit blown away by Huawei Honor Lite 7 (Honor 5c to some folks). My Xperia Z3c met it's unfortunate demise by closely exploring the relationship of gravity and concrete. The screen cracked and the frame was bent and since it was a 2yr old phone already it wasn't worth repairing. I didn't really feel Xperia X Compact and because I wanted to kinda punish myself for breaking my phone so easily I snagged the cheapest "reasonably" specced phone and Lite 7 it was. If a ~170€ is this solid I'm never bying anything over 250€ again.

My S6 stopped making notification sounds yesterday for some reason. I've checked the volume and it's fine and I've restarted the phone a couple of times as well with no success.

In addition to no sounds, I'm also not getting anything in the notification window. Only way to tell is to look at my messages icon.

Any tips on what I can do to fix this?

Chinner

Banned
My S6 stopped making notification sounds yesterday for some reason. I've checked the volume and it's fine and I've restarted the phone a couple of times as well with no success.

In addition to no sounds, I'm also not getting anything in the notification window. Only way to tell is to look at my messages icon.

Any tips on what I can do to fix this?
Interested to know this too. Happening to me also.

ameratsu

Anyone have tips for sideloading apks? I need to do it for the alexa app as it's not available from the Play store in Canada. I downloaded an apk, but I'm not sure about the site I got it from or how to verify it wasn't tampered with.

RuGalz

Anyone have tips for sideloading apks? I need to do it for the alexa app as it's not available from the Play store in Canada. I downloaded an apk, but I'm not sure about the site I got it from or how to verify it wasn't tampered with.

Amazon app store also has it, can you download from there?

ameratsu

So incase anyone else is wondering about this, check out: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-the-authenticity-of-an-apk-file-i-downloaded

tl;dr: compare the md5 hash from a known-good source (in my case, the Amazon App downloaded directly from Amazon) against your downloaded apk to make sure they match.

Why do people switch ecosystems over one exploding Android phone?
I haven't switched to iOS, but it wouldn't be hard for me if there weren't any Android phones I liked.

I own an iPad Mini, so I actually have more paid apps (mostly games to be honest) on that than I do on Android. Everything else is either free or account based so pretty much everything will transfer easily.

The only thing I'd miss by switching would be SD card support, drag-and-drop USB file transferring, notification light, and headphone jack.

tzare

I mean in the end a 'skin' of a phone is basically the launcher (can be replaced), scroll animations (huawei is more ios ish), notifications, multitasker, and settings.

90% of the time you are in your usual apps that look the same on any android device. Even the most intrusive skins will ultimately affect your day to day in the minimal.

My priority these days really are just specs and battery and cost.

My le pro is coming tuesday so maybe my mind will change then, but i'm pretty sure I should be able to tolerate it's nonsense skin as long as it runs fine. And with it being a 821 on a 1080p display, something would have to be super wrong to have a not smooth experience, and that is why there is a 14 day return policy.
i mostly agree with you, but there's times where that skin changes some features further, like notification behaviour, emui Chinese to mind, it is horrible, or until last update for axon 7(notification bell), or like touchwiz handled quick settings, i can't have torch there on my note 4 but my wife can on her a5 2016, or Xperias... I have an m4 with 8gb of storage, 6.0.1, but can't use SD as internal storage... si i can't barely install any apps.

Sometimes it goes beyond cosmetics.
However, i also must say those skins sometimes provide extra functionality, like Sony's stamina mode, or equivalent on emui, or split screen on Samsung phones.

reKon

Banned
Heavy use on my Moto Z Play today. Off charger at 8:30am. Still at 63% with almost 4 hours SoT.

that big of a battery in a 7 mm phone is impressive. Looks like similar battery you're getting to an Exynos S7 Edge. Maybe even better.

what did you spend most of the time doing?

Top Bottom