• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I like reading about Android but you guys sure are a grumpy bunch. DroidGaf is not the thread I'm looking for.

it was way way worse during the Moto/CDMA exclusive years

its a grumpy world.

On a side note, im having the hardest time selling my axon 7, probably because it always seems to go on sale lower than what im selling it for lol. Think ill give it to my mom, who's opo dies in an hour SOT.

Who's picking up a mate 9 here again? I'm definitely gonna give it a look. It does seem to check off most of the boxes for me, even if a bit pricey.

- decent camera (seems to require some fiddling?)
- expandable storage
- iOS style 'stereo' speakers
- best battery in a 2016 flagship spec phone.
- similar to dash charging in which the device is fairly cool and runs at fun performance when charging unlike QC3.

It's huawei though so I can see it dropping under $500 by amazon prime day 2017.

#mate9buddies

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
w/e happen to daydream. Did it change the VR space?

People seem to not care. Plus it came out after the phones dropped, and being Pixel exclusive right now sorta kills adoption rate.

Daydream is more of a long play as more and more phones become Daydream ready.

Jeffrey

Let's talk about the good times of 2016.

SD820 is not the 810.

oneplus released 1...er 2 killer phones.

axon 7 is a beast of value, and even more so for the sale prices.

huawei bringing their rad stuff to america.

moto z play's killer SOT.

pixel... seems to be selling ok?

SD820 is not the 810.

Please get your perception based on anecdotes right and present it as an undeniable truthfact, like any reasonable person would do it.

Pixel is selling A M A Z I N G.

AndyD

aka andydumi

SD820 is not the 810.

This really came out of left field. And that's without mods, which I think were also a very pleasant surprise after LG's failure. The moto ones are a lot more elegantly done.

Those guys are the worst, but they both got banned.

Oh snap!

It was one thing to be bias but those guys were straight delusional.

One was hyping adroid M saying it will deliver insane batery life, then when it was crap, that person then was hyping how exciting updates will be.. Lol

this_guy

Oh snap!

It was one thing to be bias but those guys were straight delusional.

One was hyping adroid M saying it will deliver insane batery life, then when it was crap, that person then was hyping how exciting updates will be.. Lol

The best part is every regular here know exactly what 2 posters we're talking about haha.

this_guy

Any of you guys use Chromebooks full time? Any feedback?

I have a Samsung Chromebook that I got for about $50 (had a $200 promo giftcard from Samsung Pay). Small, light, snappy, and great for web browsing. Battery life is very good and using gestures on the track pad for web browsing makes it preferable to web browsing on a Windows laptop.

Jeffrey

Mate 9 is way too big for me. I wish the Honor 8 had EMUI 5.0 already I would get it right now.

It's not too bad, like its overall footprint is about the same as the pixel xl or iphone 7 plus.

I assume honor 8 is getting 5.0 soonish? Beta seems somewhat stable already.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Yeah, the mate 9 is the nearly the same footprint as the 6P.

If you can, I'd recommend playing with the software first at a Best buy or something. It's heavily slimmed down, but it might not stick for everyone.

Futureman

The Samsung Chromebook Plus looks pretty awesome (just unveiled yesterday). Play store support, 12.3" 2400x1600 360 degree touchscreen with included stylus, 32 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, ARM processor. A little pricey at $450.

I'm looking at the moto G4 on swapppa... should I go for plus ver. Or just regular ol' G?
if those are your options then definitely the plus. Way better and the added ram is a necessity for android.

I use a chromebook very often. I really really like it and I don't even have access to the play store. Would it ever be my only computer? Hell no. Is it better than a tablet though? In a lot of ways it can be depending on the model you get. It's more flexible than people think it is in terms of what you can do on it. The OS itself is REALLY slick and really quick. You'll find Chrome on Chrome OS running better than it did on your desktop. It's well optimized and just plain nice.

Definitely get a thin one and one with a touch screen and intel processor (m3 minimum). I know it's tempting to go for the cheap ones but if you can afford one like the new samsung one then get it because that one looks awesome. It's great to use in bed and around the house and on the go. It just won't be your main computer. It's a way more flexible tablet basically with the only downside being it's not as light/mobile as a tablet.

zewone

How slow is Axon 7 Mini coming from a 6P?

I'm looking for a smaller AMOLED phone and if it's as capable of an audio player as the larger version I'm very interested.

Asgaro

I feel fuckin' blessed that I'm into running lol. The sportwatch era is advancing so much the last few years. If you like tech & like running it's like a match made in heaven.
Bought my first sportwatch (Garmin Forerunner 235) a month ago and wear it all the time. All-day step tracking is nice.
I have a Pebble Time that I got for free, but I never really liked it that much, in hindsight.

I mean, I was pretty oblivious to it (sportwatches) until a few months ago. I thought when I saw people running around with watches that go BEEP BEEP BEEP, I thought that were like those old Casio watches you can win at a fair lol.

If anyone's interested in an overview of advancements, check https://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/2016/10/DCRainmaker-Symposium2016-Main-Keynote.pdf
PDF's from previous years, check
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/my-2016-ant-symposium-keynote-and-session-videos.html

An excerpt/Most important:
DkvUFze.png

And not only advancements in sportwatch tech, also just the social platforms are so addictive! Garmin, Strava, Runkeeper, SmashRun, Google Fit, Withings.
What a TIME to be ALIVE.

It seems there's a term for that - Quantified Self - and I'm gonna all in bro's.

I already liked running occasionally since the last few years, but it really became a passion with Pokémon Go: I combine running with the game running and device hanging on lower arm.
But now it's really a passion: I run 3/4 times a week.

Like, I get a endorphine/dopamine/etc. boost soooo much from all this shit! My routine every 2 days:
- push-ups.
- 1 plank.
- eat 1 banana. (I hated eating fruit. Now since I can fit it in a routine I REALLY like I feel it's not a hassle.)
- go run, with Pokémon Go and Garmin Forerunner 235. I'm following a training plan for a Half Marathon. Keeps it varied.
- while running, I hatch eggs, gather candy, and swipe pokéstops. If a hatch/catch something rare, post on FB group with friends that still play. (Luckily still a few)
- Then come back home and you already feel so good from the running itself!
But that's not the end:
Take shower and then take my sweet time to: sync Garmin to smartphone, rename run. This gets synced automatically to both Runkeeper and Strava where some friends are as well.
Then there's also a Step Challenge on Garmin's platform where you get put together with random people to do eg 50K steps a week. If you go over, you go into a more difficult challenge. I'm addicted to getting in the top 3!
Then there's those challenges on Strava and Runkeeper as well. (Though less fun than those on Garmin where you can actually be in top 3, compared to a worldwide leaderboard on Strava and Runkeeper.)
Then check SmashRun which is a platform where you earn running related badges for all kinds of things. Really fun!
And finally, check my Pokémon Go progress.

Seriously. Also lost 3 kg (73 -> 70kg) in 3 months time so that's nice.
And did 2 competitive runs (2nd and 3rd ever) in the last 2 months. I plan to ramp this up a lot this year. Also the first time I keep running through the winter season. Endorphines ho!

Quasar

I feel fuckin' blessed that I'm into running lol. The sportwatch era is advancing so much the last few years. If you like tech & like running it's like a match made in heaven.
Bought my first sportwatch (Garmin Forerunner 235) a month ago and wear it all the time. All-day step tracking is nice.
I have a Pebble Time that I got for free, but I never really liked it that much, in hindsight.

I mean, I was pretty oblivious to it (sportwatches) until a few months ago. I thought when I saw people running around with watches that go BEEP BEEP BEEP, I thought that were like those old Casio watches you can win at a fair lol.

Yeah. Whilst smart watches seem to have stagnated, sports watches seem to be evolving fast.

Though the casio smartwatches seem interesting at least. More money than I have to spend, but interesting.

And here I thought fitenss watches would get swallowed up as features of smartwatches aside from models aimed at pros.

I use a chromebook very often. I really really like it and I don't even have access to the play store. Would it ever be my only computer? Hell no. Is it better than a tablet though? In a lot of ways it can be depending on the model you get. It's more flexible than people think it is in terms of what you can do on it. The OS itself is REALLY slick and really quick. You'll find Chrome on Chrome OS running better than it did on your desktop. It's well optimized and just plain nice.

Definitely get a thin one and one with a touch screen and intel processor (m3 minimum). I know it's tempting to go for the cheap ones but if you can afford one like the new samsung one then get it because that one looks awesome. It's great to use in bed and around the house and on the go. It just won't be your main computer. It's a way more flexible tablet basically with the only downside being it's not as light/mobile as a tablet.

Yeah I was looking at the Samsung one but it also comes in an ARM version. I have an MBA right now but can't even remember the last time I opened anything other than Chrome.

its a grumpy world.

Who's picking up a mate 9 here again? I'm definitely gonna give it a look. It does seem to check off most of the boxes for me, even if a bit pricey.

- decent camera (seems to require some fiddling?)

I'm rocking one since day 1 (Europe) and the beauty of the camera is that it takes good photos without fiddling with the settings. Plus, I've seen very positive reactions to the photos I showcase around, and all of them were taken by simply pressing the button to take a photo. Specially the bokeh mode, although a mix of hardware and software, gets a lot of good feedback and they were just a press of the button.

Top Bottom