• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

cLOUDo

delivery times for a OP3T probably won't make it by vacation lol.

If you need a decent camera, just buy a point and shoot camera?

there is a local importer who will bring the phone to sell in 2 weeks

i was thinking in the camera but the phone is more "complete" for a vacation xp

Groof

You clearly have a bad unit at this point. Get it sorted.

My battery life has gone to suit recently, but I'm running a VPN 24/7 so it's understandable. Still hits 1% before it shuts down.

I want to but I first need to figure out how to do it from the other side of the world

Jeffrey

there is a local importer who will bring the phone to sell in 2 weeks

i was thinking in the camera but the phone is more "complete" for a vacation xp

probably can snag a s7 for a similar price to a 3T if you need a decent camera on a phone.

If you want to play it smart though, if your local places have return policies (I assume your vacation isn't too long) just buy like a pixel or s7 edge, get a hefty case. Use it for your vacation and return it afterwards.

Now the LG G6 is rumored to ditch the headphone jack. Damn it all! RIP phone innovation. Would be disappointing if all of this year's flagships are touting removed features as a feature.

Now the LG G6 is rumored to ditch the headphone jack. Damn it all! RIP phone innovation. Would be disappointing if all of this year's flagships are touting removed features as a feature.
It's also rumored that they're bringing wireless charging back, which is definitely more important.

Does anybody really care? LG Has had a boot-looping disaster for years and they have failed to largely acknowledge it. It amazes me that people would still consider them for a smartphone when more often than not they are just the lesser version of Samsung. That's especially true as their software gets worse and worse and Samsung has slowly improved their's.

It's also rumored that they're bringing wireless charging back, which is definitely more important.

oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

ElNino

Any downsides to the OnePlus 3T for a first time Android user?

Priorities are camera (low light in particular) and ease of use.
I went with the OP3 coming from the WP world (I'm assuming that's' where you still are if I'm remembering correctly), and it's been mostly positive. The phone itself feels great and is the perfect size for ease of use while still having a good sized screen (the 1080p resolution doesn't bother me). Contact syncing is a bit weird coming from WP, where pretty much everything synced perfectly as it has screwed up my contact list numerous times already for no apparent reason and half of my contact photos decide to randomly go super low res even if I updated them on the phone.

As for the camera, it is okay but low light isn't great, especially if you're coming from a Lumia. For a few of my trips this year I brought my 950XL along to use for photos as it is much better overall for that.

For a relatively cheap phone though, I've been pleased with the OP3.

Jeffrey

I went with the OP3 coming from the WP world (I'm assuming that's' where you still are if I'm remembering correctly), and it's been mostly positive. The phone itself feels great and is the perfect size for ease of use while still having a good sized screen (the 1080p resolution doesn't bother me). Contact syncing is a bit weird coming from WP, where pretty much everything synced perfectly as it has screwed up my contact list numerous times already for no apparent reason and half of my contact photos decide to randomly go super low res even if I updated them on the phone.

As for the camera, it is okay but low light isn't great, especially if you're coming from a Lumia. For a few of my trips this year I brought my 950XL along to use for photos as it is much better overall for that.

For a relatively cheap phone though, I've been pleased with the OP3.

try playing around with the 'hq' option for low light. Seems to work better.

Who cares about LG phones when they still boot loop, and those onscreen navigation buttons are so ugly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want to but I first need to figure out how to do it from the other side of the world
You need to get a new phone and send your 6P off for repair. It'll be a few weeks. I'm waiting for my iPhone SE to unlock before I send my 6P in for repair.

RoKKeR

At home for the holidays, family got a new car with Sync 3 that works with Android Auto/Car Play... wow, I had no idea how great this stuff was. So nice to be able to just plug your phone in and get a simplified but connected interface right in the car. Being able to use Google Maps through the car's system is a godsend, and the support for audio playback/calls is all really good. All around it's really neat functionality that for some reason I was completely oblivious to before.

At home for the holidays, family got a new car with Sync 3 that works with Android Auto/Car Play... wow, I had no idea how great this stuff was. So nice to be able to just plug your phone in and get a simplified but connected interface right in the car. Being able to use Google Maps through the car's system is a godsend, and the support for audio playback/calls is all really good. All around it's really neat functionality that for some reason I was completely oblivious to before.
once you use android auto or car play there really is no going back. As soon as I got a car with it that was a wrap.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
hrrrrrrrrm.....

That's like the only thing I want :D

But I guess that's something that's still only to be found at the higher end.

Galaxy s7 or HTC 10, if you can get them at that $500 or less, are the only ones that will match Lumia low light performance at that price range, everything else will be a big step down, trust me.

Jeffrey

huawei mate 9 officially confirmed to launch on the 6th.

original cnet article seems to be down but it was quoted to be $600, which I assume is the 64gb/4gb ram trim.

also 'first phone with alexa' early 2017, w/e that means.

this_guy

I'm actually interested in seeimg more of the Asus ZenFone 3 Zoom. 5000mah battery with the Snapdragon 625 (Moto Z Play uses this processor and gets amazing battery life with a much smaller battery). It also has a pretty nice camera according to the specs. I'm sure customizations and bloatware will probably be a negative but a midrange phone with great battery life and great camera is worth looking at. Let's hope it's priced like a midrange.

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Zoom-ZE553KL/

Jeffrey

I'm actually interested in seeimg more of the Asus ZenFone 3 Zoom. 5000mah battery with the Snapdragon 625 (Moto Z Play uses this processor and gets amazing battery life with a much smaller battery). It also has a pretty nice camera according to the specs. I'm sure customizations and bloatware will probably be a negative but a midrange phone with great battery life and great camera is worth looking at. Let's hope it's priced like a midrange.

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Zoom-ZE553KL/

probably $400 range? It's an asus phone so expect a lot of bloatware, but should be able to clean up reasonably.

Quixzlizx

This icon just appeared on my home screen, and overlays over any windows/apps I bring up. Is this some specific malware that I can maybe get rid of? I'm pretty paranoid about installing apps, and Join is the only one I've installed in the past couple of weeks, I think...

cS9orFi.png

Can I just say, I love this bullet point from the Huawei Mate 9 PR/Spec sheet:

Born fast and stays fast for 18 months – addressing the nagging issue of phone lagging after use for a while

Not only because it's the first acknowledgment I've seen from a company that a lot of android phones seem to perform worse over time, but also because they can't even promise 2 years. Just 18 months lol.

Bboy AJ

Can I just say, I love this bullet point from the Huawei Mate 9 PR/Spec sheet:

Not only because it's the first acknowledgment I've seen from a company that a lot of android phones seem to perform worse over time, but also because they can't even promise 2 years. Just 18 months lol.
This is hilarious for exactly the reasons you identified. That's really great.

Jeffrey

its a grumpy world.

On a side note, im having the hardest time selling my axon 7, probably because it always seems to go on sale lower than what im selling it for lol. Think ill give it to my mom, who's opo dies in an hour SOT.

Who's picking up a mate 9 here again? I'm definitely gonna give it a look. It does seem to check off most of the boxes for me, even if a bit pricey.

- decent camera (seems to require some fiddling?)
- expandable storage
- iOS style 'stereo' speakers
- best battery in a 2016 flagship spec phone.
- similar to dash charging in which the device is fairly cool and runs at fun performance when charging unlike QC3.

It's huawei though so I can see it dropping under $500 by amazon prime day 2017.

Top Bottom