• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hey uhh I'm not clued in to the Android scene very well but Best Buy is selling the Moto X Pure 64gb for $250, is this a good deal? I see that this is a pretty old phone, released late 2015, but my current phone is a budget BLU R1 HD that cost $60 because I let Amazon put ads on my lockscreen. So I'm pretty sure this would still be a significant upgrade, and the X Pure is a phablet which is great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey uhh I'm not clued in to the Android scene very well but Best Buy is selling the Moto X Pure 64gb for $250, is this a good deal? I see that this is a pretty old phone, released late 2015, but my current phone is a budget BLU R1 HD that cost $60 because I let Amazon put ads on my lockscreen. So I'm pretty sure this would still be a significant upgrade, and the X Pure is a phablet which is great.

Solid phone, and you aren't gonna get anything else that big for that price. YMMV on updates on a phone from 2015 though. You might be better off holding off to get something mid range from 2017 to be newer in terms of updates.

Up to you.

You can get an Honor 8 still for sub $300 on Amazon. Still the best flagship like performance at the cheapest price.

it's ok I guess for that price. I mean it's better than your Blu phone obviously but it's really nothing special.

I personally would not waste the money. Save up a bit more and get something plenty better.

Solid phone, and you aren't gonna get anything else that big for that price. YMMV on updates on a phone from 2015 though. You might be better off holding off to get something mid range from 2017 to be newer in terms of updates.

Up to you.

You can get an Honor 8 still for sub $300 on Amazon. Still the best flagship like performance at the cheapest price.

Lol my last phone was a $50 Windows phone I'm used to no updates. Thanks for the input y'all, I'm gonna pull the trigger but I appreciate the context about what else is out there!

this_guy

Yeah I'm looking for a used sub-$200 android phone. I'm tired of my iPhone 6s+. I'm having their random battery issue which they refuse to acknowledge as an issue.

I bought a 64gb G4 Plus refurbished from Best Buy for $209 (64gb model has 4gb ram) as a backup phone. In day to day usage it's pretty much identical to my 2015 Moto X Pure edition but with a fingerprint sensor. I prefer using it over the Pure.

Jeffrey

Lol my last phone was a $50 Windows phone I'm used to no updates. Thanks for the input y'all, I'm gonna pull the trigger but I appreciate the context about what else is out there!

Have fun. It's a decent phone. 1440p 5.7 inch screen front speakers. Fast charging.

808 has its problems but you won't notice it from your upgrade.

Should get a Nextbit Robin instead. You'll get better support and it's cheaper.

Jeffrey

new wave of official daydream ready phones

https://blog.google/products/google-vr/welcoming-more-devices-daydream-ready-family/

Daydream-ready_phones.width-1000.png

Vanillalite

You can get the OnePlus 3T shipping in under a week now.

Current GOAT phone if you can't wait till Summer for the sequel.

Unlocked Moto Z Play finally received a November security update in the US...Verizon, India and Brazil versions are already on December update.

What?

Hitta93

Banned
Any better phones than the Moto E in the $100-$150 range?

Looking to buy a backup/replacement phone next week as a stop gap until I fix this S7 screen.

Vanillalite

Any better phones than the Moto E in the $100-$150 range?

Looking to buy a backup/replacement phone next week as a stop gap until I fix this S7 screen.

Are you in the US? Are you a Prime member?

You can get the Moto G4 with the Amazon lock screen ads for $99 as a prime member. Sure the lockscreens might not be preferable, but $99 for a backup phone would be fine IMO.

Jeffrey

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-q4-2016-revenue-sales-estimates-741609/

Samsung has announced its preliminary revenue figures for Q4 2016. The numbers indicate a 50 percent year-on-year increase for the Korean manufacturer, despite that it cancelled one of its biggest smartphones of the year during that period.

Samsung predicts its highest operating profits since Q3, 2013 at 9.2 trillion won (around $7.8 billion), which analysts put down to increased demand for memory chips and OLED displays — both of which Samsung manufactures as part of its wider business operations.

The depreciation of the Korean won, which fell 8.8 percent against the dollar in the Q4, is also believed to have helped Samsung’s healthy profits.

so much for death of samsung.

I've wanted the Mate 9 for months but alas, I'm on Verizon. It's a fantastic carrier for service, but their phone selection is god awful since it's limited to CDMA. I want a big phone.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The interesting thing is that you could get the Pixel for $10-15 a month without a trade-in before the holidays.

Pretty excited about the S8 screen real estate if the leak is indicative of the final product.
I hope the S8's screen is a little less curved than the S7. The S7 for me is really hard to use without a case because gripping it from the sides almost always causes my fingers or my palm to touch it.

From what little I felt of the Note 7 at a Best Buy (before they were recalled), it seemed like it was an improvement, but I'm not sure if that was because it was thicker or if the screen was less tapered, or something else.

I hope the S8's screen is a little less curved than the S7. The S7 for me is really hard to use without a case because gripping it from the sides almost always causes my fingers or my palm to touch it.

From what little I felt of the Note 7 at a Best Buy (before they were recalled), it seemed like it was an improvement, but I'm not sure if that was because it was thicker or if the screen was less tapered, or something else.

it's because of the perfectly gentle curve.

Mate 9 looks really good. Obviously I'd never get it cuz it's fuckin huge and I'm a stock or bust whore but still a big improvement if you're into these kinds of phones. Their software has improved massively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlWwk5x19Y
samsung makes way too much money from supplying other smartphone manufacturers to ever really be in danger. They're about to make SHITTONS more supplying apple with OLED displays.

Kitoro

So I'm about to give up on my one year old Nexus 6 because the battery life has gone to crap. Before I ditch it, though, I noticed 7.1 just came out for it.

I'm still on Marshmallow, and maybe a reformat and upgrade to 7.1 can fix whatever was causing the battery to take a dump, and I'll just keep it.

That said, I found the 7.1 factory image, but have no idea what to do with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

zewone

So I'm about to give up on my one year old Nexus 6 because the battery life has gone to crap. Before I ditch it, though, I noticed 7.1 just came out for it.

I'm still on Marshmallow, and maybe a reformat and upgrade to 7.1 can fix whatever was causing the battery to take a dump, and I'll just keep it.

That said, I found the 7.1 factory image, but have no idea what to do with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
http://www.androidbeat.com/2016/08/flash-android-7-nougat-factory-image-nexus/

Flashing a factory image rather than an OTA update wipes your data by the way.

reKon

Banned
Mate 9 looks really good. Obviously I'd never get it cuz it's fuckin huge and I'm a stock or bust whore but still a big improvement if you're into these kinds of phones. Their software has improved massively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlWwk5x19Y

samsung makes way too much money from supplying other smartphone manufacturers to ever really be in danger. They're about to make SHITTONS more supplying apple with OLED displays.

wow they fucking killed it... The Honor 8 that was selling for $240 or lower at jet.com on black friday and it was an amazing steal. It's going to get then version of Huawei's software so that deal is definitely the best bang for buck I saw last year. I'm giving my back up phone to grandma so if that Honor 8 was ever super discounted below $199, new... I know what I'll get for me travel/ back up phone...

Huawei stepped up big time with EMUI 5 and their hardware. I'd actually put them as a top 3 Android manufacturer. With a little more hardware refinement, especially camera wise, I could see them overtaking Samsung (in quality not sales) by next year.

The Honor 8 is some amazing value. I just wish the camera were better.

Huawei stepped up big time with EMUI 5 and their hardware. I'd actually put them as a top 3 Android manufacturer. With a little more hardware refinement, especially camera wise, I could see them overtaking Samsung (in quality not sales) by next year.

The Honor 8 is some amazing value. I just wish the camera were better.
they actually sell a SHITTON. Just not as much as samsung in the USA.

I've never owned any of their products but they've definitely improved a ton in a short amount of time. I kind of hope they are the OEM making those nexus smartwatches that leaked.

Jeffrey

Huawei is like the biggest telecom company in the world lol.

In terms of cellphone sales it's behind Samsung and apple but showing good growth yearly. Should pass apple in the next decade or so.

DagsJT

I'm looking at buying a used S7 or Pixel but after some advice. S7's are going on eBay for around £350 with some still boxed as new for that price. Pixels are a lot higher, seem to be around £500 on the rare occasion they come up.

Is the Pixel really worth £150 more? Camera is important but the S7's camera is still pretty good. Both have good battery. So what would Pixel offer, besides updates, or is the extra price difference just not worth it?

Sanjuro

Firefox has held up very well with a week+ of use. Only downside would be missing Google advance search, and some websites behaving closer to the desktop variant.

Tried Google Chrome again and forgot how much the "focus click" drove me nuts. If you have anything highlighted, you can't scroll.

Mindwipe

I'm looking at buying a used S7 or Pixel but after some advice. S7's are going on eBay for around £350 with some still boxed as new for that price. Pixels are a lot higher, seem to be around £500 on the rare occasion they come up.

Is the Pixel really worth £150 more? Camera is important but the S7's camera is still pretty good. Both have good battery. So what would Pixel offer, besides updates, or is the extra price difference just not worth it?

No, with that value equation I'd jump on the S7. The Pixel might hold its value slightly better, but if you're keeping it for a year nowhere near that much.

£350 for a new S7 is pretty good tbh...

Asgaro

Those using Weather Timeline, do you receive notifications for certain weather conditions? I came to realize this doesn't seem to work here. I get nothing. (And have been using the app for around a year now.)

- Weather Alert Notification is checked
- Within Weather Alert Types, I subscribed to all events
- I haven't globally disabled notifications for this app

edit
Rain Alert Notification is unchecked, but that's a different setting from Weather Alert Notification.

Top Bottom