• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

LeleSocho

Banned
What's the best camera I can get up to 450? I can get used / refurbished as well. Would prefer a phone with Nougat if camera difference isn't big.

I'm even thinking about getting an used HTC M9 just to wait till the summer when last year phones will be cheaper.

I almost got the OP3T, but gave up for a while as they should release a new phone with the new Qualcomm processor that seems promising.

Not an expert on used pricing but i guess you could snag an used Galaxy S7 for that price which is in the top 3 cameras on any phone.

What's the best camera I can get up to 450? I can get used / refurbished as well. Would prefer a phone with Nougat if camera difference isn't big.

I'm even thinking about getting an used HTC M9 just to wait till the summer when last year phones will be cheaper.

I almost got the OP3T, but gave up for a while as they should release a new phone with the new Qualcomm processor that seems promising.
3T is the best phone you can get for that price in all ways imo

Qualcomm will never beat apple's cpus. It sounds like a modest jump over the 820. The battery life thing is the best aspect. Going from 14nm to 10nm is nice at least.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10948/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-kryo-280-adreno-540

Apparently SD835 uses Frankencores essentially stock Cortex cores with some Kryo modifications.
I predict the performance of this thing will be lukewarm.

Qualcomm will never beat apple's cpus. It sounds like a modest jump over the 820. The battery life thing is the best aspect. Going from 14nm to 10nm is nice at least.

CPU wise everything seems to be basically the same just a slight 10% performance bump due to the smaller node.

GPU at least seems slightly better in the 2X% boost range.

That being said it does FEEL like Qualcomm is just coasting on a die shrink vs actually trying to do something with the chip this year.

820 devices should in theory be great buys still this year at even cheaper pricing.

Jeffrey

i dont mind micro usb especially when our wireless bluetooth future still requires microusb to charge.

Any usb-c bluetooth headsets yet?

Actually I bought some reversible micro usb cables on Amazon and they are a godsend. USB 2.0 is still shit though. 3.0 is minimum for me at this point.

this_guy

It's a $250 phone that will hopefully drop further in price. At that price as long as it works, has a decent camera, and good battery life it'll get the job done.

Vanillalite

It's a $250 phone that will hopefully drop further in price. At that price as long as it works, has a decent camera, and good battery life it'll get the job done.

To a large part I'd agree.

I'm not even really sure if to thr average Joe if they'd know the difference between Marshmallow and Nougat.

The bigger deal is the 3 gig variant is actually $300 which is more expensive than the Honor 8.

Quiet frankly I hate multiple variants of things beyond storage. It just muddies the water.

this_guy

To a large part I'd agree.

I'm not even really sure if to thr average Joe if they'd know the difference between Marshmallow and Nougat.

The bigger deal is the 3 gig variant is actually $300 which is more expensive than the Honor 8.

Quiet frankly I hate multiple variants of things beyond storage. It just muddies the water.

I thought the base model in the US has 3gb ram? And the higher storage model has 4gb.

I agree with you that changing the amount of RAM is dumb.

Vanillalite

I could be wrong. My mind said it was 2 and 3 gigs. Maybe it's 3 and 4.

Either way it's stupid and just makes shit more confusing.

Jeffrey

Yeah most people just don't care much. I got my friend who was on an old iPhone 5 a honor 8 and he likes it.

Emui seems like a good transition from ios.

Jeffrey

Haven't used nfc outside of setting up a new phone. Too lazy to figure out how to get Android pay working for unlocked bootloader

Milchjon

Any downsides to the OnePlus 3T for a first time Android user?

Priorities are camera (low light in particular) and ease of use.

Jeffrey

Pixel S7 and iPhone 7 are pretty much the only phones atm that is OK at low light. Still not amazing but getting better every year.

Aku-Audi

My phone bit the dust today so just reposting my question as I need a new phone asap

So I am in the market for a new Android phone after not updating for like...5 years. I don't really care for high end gaming or anything like that on mobile, but it would still be good to have something that isn't generations behind for like 200-300 bucks. Any suggestions from AndroidGAF?

Aku-Audi

honor 8, axon 7 shouldn't be too hard to find in that price.

Or the newly announced honor 6x will be $200 during launch promo, if you are ok with slower processor but great battery.

Honor 8 looks pretty good actually! Thanks, I'll look for a good price on it.

ArchAngel

After the update yesterday I got my first 1% back after 2 weeks of 40-20%. They patched back my %, at least I hope it stays this way and was just a small bug or patching error ^^

Top Bottom