• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

My Note 4 has started having major issues with resets and hanging, and two factory resets haven't cleared up the issue (nor replacing the SD card, battery, putting on the old backing instead of the flip case, etc). I'm interested in the ZenFone AR as a replacement, but that's still a few months away, so I'm looking to spend $100-150ish on a basic replacement phone in the interim. Any recommendations? This would be on T-Mobile. I see I have a few options on their site, and I know I could buy a phone from elsewhere and convert it over, but I've never done that before.

Edit: Opting for a ZTE Zmax Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3Q8EGY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So when is the Axon 7 update coming?

by end of jan?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I found a controller for my Edge 7 and I am in love...

41wvqekJnvL._SX425_.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know we are only a week into 2017, but damn if I'm not jonesing for more big 2017 phones to be announced beyond the Honor 6X.

Vanillalite

Do we even know yet what the first phone to the market will be other the Snap 835?

I assume obviously the Kirin 970 will be in whatever the next big Huawei phone is.

Are we sure of that?

970 already leaked and is slated for Q1.

I actually got all mixed up in my post lol, sorry, I had just woken up, I don't know what I was thinking.

Yes it should come with a slightly improved and new SoC, as has been the case in previous Mate > Px cycles. There shouldn't be a huge performance difference though, and although battery improvements should happen Mate 9 most likely will still last longer. Of course 4K recording and OIS will be some of the other additions to the P10, courtesy of that new and improved SoC.

I don't know whether Huawei will go for 4GB or 6GB of Ram, but if I were them, I'd go for the 6GB... On the normal P10. But I think they will go 4GB on the Normal P10 and 6GB on the Plus version.

Is it okay to ask for recommendations in this thread? Trying to find a good Android phone for around the $200 or lower price range, with good battery life and camera and decent performance. Looking at the Moto G4 and Axon 7 mini right now... what would you guys recommend? This would be for my wife, who is sick of her slow Moto g3. I'm still using my Nexus 6.

ty_hot

Any rumors about any new Nextbit robin (or any other name they might come with)?

I just found out that the first will get the Nougat soon, and it seems pretty good for the price. 3gb, 32gb (plus the 100 in the cloud that I dont really care), 1080p screen... Its less than 200€ on Amazon Uk.

I was aiming for a Oneplus 3T but had to spend a lot of money this last weekend so I have less for the phone now.

I like the design of the phone, it's nice that it doesn't look like 99% of the phones nowadays.

this_guy

Is it okay to ask for recommendations in this thread? Trying to find a good Android phone for around the $200 or lower price range, with good battery life and camera and decent performance. Looking at the Moto G4 and Axon 7 mini right now... what would you guys recommend? This would be for my wife, who is sick of her slow Moto g3. I'm still using my Nexus 6.

Nextbit Robin is going for a pretty good price on Amazon. I would also look at the new Honor 6x because its $50 off if you pre-order and that's right in your price range. Moto G4 and Axon Mini should both perform fine but I'd rather have the Honor 6x. It uses a newer processor and should have better battery life (Snapdragon 617 used G4 and Axon mini were prone to overheating in some phones).

Blackhead

Redarse
Nextbit Robin is going for a pretty good price on Amazon. I would also look at the new Honor 6x because its $50 off if you pre-order and that's right in your price range. Moto G4 and Axon Mini should both perform fine but I'd rather have the Honor 6x. It uses a newer processor and should have better battery life (Snapdragon 617 used G4 and Axon mini were prone to overheating in some phones).

What's the lowest priced phone available right now that runs Nougat?

Jeffrey

nexuses run nougat, but there are all kinds of battery software issues atm across the board, even pixel too maybe.

axon 7 is getting nougat at the end of the month, and seems to have fixed some of the bigger UI issues i've had with the current stuff from beta screenshots.

For a phone often under $300, its kind of a beast. cheapest phone to support daydream as well.

Vanillalite

Most phones are back to (or closer to) their original prices post Holiday sales.

If any of you who need a new phone can wait then I suggest doing so.

Running the newest version of android has got to be the most overrated thing about owning newer devices. It breaks compatibility and honestly barely adds anything that people seem to really use.
Exactly, launchers and icon packs already give you the updated look and most features found in the newest software without compatibility issues.

Quixzlizx

Exactly, launchers and icon packs already give you the updated look and most features found in the newest software without compatibility issues.

Although companies who are willing to get the newest version on their phones are probably at least somewhat more likely to keep up with security updates.

Although companies who are willing to get the newest version on their phones are probably at least somewhat more likely to keep up with security updates.

While that's true to some extend, Samsung pushes updates regularly and still takes forever to deliver full OS updates.

7.1.1 is supposed to hit the S7 this month. Let's see if they can make it.

TTOOLL

What do you guys think about Google Now? Do you use it? Do you find the cards useful? What about battery life?

I had stopped using it and but gave it another try today just to give up again. As soon as I leave home by car or start walking the phone gets really hot, the battery drain starts and its massive. When will Google fix it? Never, right?

Also, the upcoming tab not being the default view is just dumb, weather should be in it and it should be the first thing you see, not some yesterday news.

I must mention I live in a small city so traffic information is useless.

What do you guys think about Google Now? Do you use it? Do you find the cards useful? What about battery life?

I had stopped using it and but gave it another try today just to give up again. As soon as I leave home by car or start walking the phone gets really hot, the battery drain starts and its massive. When will Google fix it? Never, right?

Also, the upcoming tab not being the default view is just dumb, weather should be in it and it should be the first thing you see, not some yesterday news.

I must mention I live in a small city so traffic information is useless.

I disabled it completely. Weather aside, the cards all had useless information. Cortana does a better job at aggregating information I'm interested in, because you can be a lot more specific at telling it want you're interested in.

redlemon

Noticed from my new moto g4 android support merging sdcard storage with internal storage. Is this on all android 6+ devices? I might get a new tablet for it since the extra storage would be a massive help for Kindle/Comixology since the don't seem to let you save comics to sdcard.

Noema

Noticed from my new moto g4 android support merging sdcard storage with internal storage. Is this on all android 6+ devices? I might get a new tablet for it since the extra storage would be a massive help for Kindle/Comixology since the don't seem to let you save comics to sdcard.

It was introduced in Marshmallow, yes. But some manufacturers disable the functionality, like Samsung I believe.

Vanillalite

What sucks about the 6XX series is the baseline snap 80(0/1) is faster which is super old now. Hell for a while you could get the LG G2 for barely over $200.

Jeffrey

ZTE skin isn't the lightest either. Axon 7 has quite a bit more hitches than you'd expect, but you can kinda excuse it for the price you pay for it.

hopefully nougat cleans stuff up according to user feedback. They've seem to be paying attention at the very least.

Vanillalite

No issues with the 625 on the Z Play.

625 appears to have way less issues than the 617.

It's still not near as fast as the 800/1 chips.

Qualcomm needs something in between. Sorta like the 808 to the 810. They need an 818 or something. That would probably canabalize their own market though.

Qualcomm has too many chips as it is especially since so many phones user older model 6 and 4 series chips.

reKon

Banned
625 appears to have way less issues than the 617.

It's still not near as fast as the 800/1 chips.

Qualcomm needs something in between. Sorta like the 808 to the 810. They need an 818 or something. That would probably canabalize their own market though.

Qualcomm has too many chips as it is especially since so many phones user older model 6 and 4 series chips.

I'm curious to know much people do intensive gaming on their phones in this thread to realize how much having an 820 doesn't even matter (for the majority). For me personally, this or the equivalent chip was needed for VR. In terms of other games, I don't play anything that's graphically on that kind of screen size.

Jeffrey

mate 9 is the sex.

emui 5 fixes the main issues i have with older huawei stuff. never owned a mate 8, but im surprised at how holdable this is. Like its somehow easier to handle than my iphone 6s plus.

Gonna return this amazon one and pick up a newegg (tax free in ga), maybe in white.

mate 9 is the sex.

emui 5 fixes the main issues i have with older huawei stuff. never owned a mate 8, but im surprised at how holdable this is. Like its somehow easier to handle than my iphone 6s plus.

Gonna return this amazon one and pick up a newegg (tax free in ga), maybe in white.
bezel reduction makes a hell of a difference. Display is almost .5 inches bigger than the 7 plus and is about the same size. Smaller actually.

Pixel phone has been heating up and dropping frames much more frequently... Plus I'm averaging only three hours of screen on time. Not sure what's happening...

Pixel phone has been heating up and dropping frames much more frequently... Plus I'm averaging only three hours of screen on time. Not sure what's happening...
Check which app has been using the most battery. Maybe it has gone rogue. With android it's rarely a hardware issue. There's something causing it with the software.

Top Bottom