• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm kind of impressed the year old OS is so high. I thought everyone would still be on Lollipop.

Jeffrey

They should slash support for everything up to KitKat.

Given that most OEMs didn't even start rolling out updates, I'd say it isn't surprising.

Right now Nougat is Pixel, Nexus 6, 5X, 6P and 9.

7.1 yes. a handful of phones are now on 7.0. mate 9, htc 10, moto z, think maybe sony?

Seems like a large majority of phones at ces will launch on nougat, maybe.

7.1 yes. a handful of phones are now on 7.0. mate 9, htc 10, moto z, think maybe sony?

Seems like a large majority of phones at ces will launch on nougat, maybe.

LG V20 and G5 are on 7.0. OP3 is also on 7.0.

BTW anyone use Brave browser? I'm liking it over Pyrope. The icon is stupid though.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone. I'm seriously considering getting the honor 6x tomorrow.

What would you guys pick between a g4 plus and a 6x? Is the honor 6x the best bet at around the $200 range?

this_guy

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone. I'm seriously considering getting the honor 6x tomorrow.

What would you guys pick between a g4 plus and a 6x? Is the honor 6x the best bet at around the $200 range?

6x has a processor that's more comparable to the Moto Z Play, which Moto sells for $400+. The 6x should have better performance and battery life while the G4 Plus is closer to stock Android.

Jeffrey

The dual camera on the honor 6x is apparently pretty decent especially at that price too. Also with that battery and the aggressive battery nonsense on emui expect quite good battery.

xioami mi6 in feb according to rumors.

http://www.techdue.com/xiaomi-mi6-specifications-leaked-curved-screen-version-also-works/

xiaomi-mi-6-specs-leaks-out-with-possible-variants.jpg

normal is 4gb ram pro has curved screen 6gb ram. 835 4000 mah battery.

seems like solid stuff fomr 2000 - 2500 yuan.

Unlocked GSM Moto Z Play got a $50 reduction for 1 month, so it costs $400.
Also worth noting that if you have access to a student email you can get a 10% discount code that should drop it to $360, but for some reason (Not sure if somebody else can replicate) it is dropped to $323 in my cart after adding the student discount.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Also worth noting that if you have access to a student email you can get a 10% discount code that should drop it to $360, but for some reason (Not sure if somebody else can replicate) it is dropped to $323 in my cart after adding the student discount.
DAMN! What a deal.

tzare

The dual camera on the honor 6x is apparently pretty decent especially at that price too. Also with that battery and the aggressive battery nonsense on emui expect quite good battery.

xioami mi6 in feb according to rumors.

http://www.techdue.com/xiaomi-mi6-specifications-leaked-curved-screen-version-also-works/

xiaomi-mi-6-specs-leaks-out-with-possible-variants.jpg

normal is 4gb ram pro has curved screen 6gb ram. 835 4000 mah battery.

seems like solid stuff fomr 2000 - 2500 yuan.
one thing i just do not understand, honor 6x has Finger print scanner, but not NFC. Why? i mean , it is not that expensive, isn't it? It is kinda stupid because the rest of the specs are quite impressive for the price, including dual camera (even if it is only for bokeh)

Asgaro

Even Android enthusiasts here still have Facebook and Messenger installed?

I thought you guys were smarter than this...

And yes, Messenger has an alternative as well: Messenger Lite. Official app from Facebook but since it's region restricted on the store, just get it from apkmirror.com

Hasney

The apps were fine, they at least weren't going crazy and I was easily getting 5-6 hours SoT so why fix what isn't broken? They just recently went haywire.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So supposedly LG is gonna uveil the G6 at MWC, and they are gonna get the phone out ASAP in early March.

Seems like someone at LG grew a brain and figured out they need to beat Samsung to market if they want to gain some extra shares.

Mindwipe

My Xperia Z3C has given up the ghost, stuck in a bootloop, will only intermittently charge. I think it's dead Jim.

Just bought a dirt cheap XA to last me a few months while I wait to see the S8 and other MWC offerings. It won't be amazing, but to be honest it was less than it cost me to see Rogue One at the cinema.

lunchtoast

Getting tired of google music overriding other audio apps. I'll be listening to Pocketcasts and if I keep it paused for too long, when I resume it'll start playing google music. Thought it was a beta issue on 7.1.1 but also happens for the stable release. Not sure if pocketcast issue or google music.

This is when I pause/resume from bluetooth. This also happens even when google music isn't open/suspended.

ty_hot

So in the end we didnt get much info about the Snapdragon 835, right? will it probably be only 10% more powerful than the 821 and more energy efficient? Or is it only speculation?

you know - since about 3 weeks ago when Google did an update - my feed turned into shit! Instead of one feed they now have two. And now a lot of things are gone and there is never anything there anymore.
i used to look at my google feed constantly all day. Mainly because of weather updates, traffic updates before i go home from work, news articles that i may be interested in due to my search history and etc.

I even attempted to add more into my 'interests card section' but that didnt do shit for me either. This was an amazing thing i loved. Now... no more google widget cause it only shows me the weather...

:( help? lol

Getting tired of google music overriding other audio apps. I'll be listening to Pocketcasts and if I keep it paused for too long, when I resume it'll start playing google music. Thought it was a beta issue on 7.1.1 but also happens for the stable release. Not sure if pocketcast issue or google music.

This is when I pause/resume from bluetooth. This also happens even when google music isn't open/suspended.

I get this regularly in my car, too. Best solution I've found is to start Pocketcasts using the widget as I'm getting into my car, so that when the BT picks it up, it knows what to play. If I just let the phone decide what to play once the BT kicks in, there's like a 25% chance it'll start playing Google Music.

Vanillalite

So in the end we didnt get much info about the Snapdragon 835, right? will it probably be only 10% more powerful than the 821 and more energy efficient? Or is it only speculation?

CPU is about 10% bump. GPU is more like 25%.

This isn't taking into account whatever battery or efficiency gains we get cause that's always an Android wold card.

The 820 should be more than fast enough for everyone outside of VR people.

this_guy

This isn't taking into account whatever battery or efficiency gains we get cause that's always an Android wold card.

I think last year's 650 series would be fast enough but hardly any phone uses it. They either stick to the even older 617 or 625 (at least this one is good for battery life).

lunchtoast

I get this regularly in my car, too. Best solution I've found is to start Pocketcasts using the widget as I'm getting into my car, so that when the BT picks it up, it knows what to play. If I just let the phone decide what to play once the BT kicks in, there's like a 25% chance it'll start playing Google Music.

I haven't had the issue in my car w/ android auto, but it's just annoying when it starts playing a song and I have to pull out my phone and resume pocketcast. I found the issue on reddit but no fixes, just wondering if 3rd party apps are able to override google apps.

ty_hot

Hmm, that's what I thought. I don't need gpu as I don't play on the phone, but I am curious about VR and think that having a VR ready processor would be great. There are also several other improvements (faster and more accurate focusing for example)... I don't want to buy a phone for the next 3-4 years so I think its better to wait a few more months before the first 835 come out and then depending on the reviews I can get a cheaper 821 or take the new 835. The Oneplus3T is so tempting though, I cant make my mind 100% sure to buy or to wait :(

Id like to go to the Mobile World Conference as I live in BCN, then I can even try a 835 before its released... But I don't know how much it costs to attend there.

Jeffrey

mobile VR probably won't be completely usable without heat issues or performance problems for at least a few more years.

doubt performance will be notable difference between 820 835 or 840 or w/e in daily use. At some point its read/write speeds that needs improvements combined with tweaking animations.

Mindwipe

I feel like there's a bunch of stuff in the 835 quality of life wise that's more important than horsepower. Native HDR video encoding, and there's quite a lot of work in camera processing that will be of significant benefit to OEMs who aren't Samsung or Google (or Sony, who will no doubt ignore it for a much shittier internal solution).

Jeffrey

I feel like there's a bunch of stuff in the 835 quality of life wise that's more important than horsepower. Native HDR video encoding, and there's quite a lot of work in camera processing that will be of significant benefit to OEMs who aren't Samsung or Google (or Sony, who will no doubt ignore it for a much shittier internal solution).

I feel like every new gen of qualcomm offers that and look at where we are now still :p

Anyways other aspects will decide on future purchases for me.

Vanillalite

As long as they keep offering $400 phones with the latest Snapdragon I have little reason to go elsewhere especially when they go on sale.

I'll pay the extra $100 to upgrade from the 6XX range of phones.

ElNino

I have the same problem with Pocketcasts, except it's Spotify that launches for me instead of Google Music (possibly because I've never used Google Music). It could also have been weeks since I have launched Spotify and yet it will still start playing when I connect in my car.

Vanillalite

I like the P Series, but I'm ok if only the Honor version coming to the US. Honor 8 was like 95% of the P9 but for about $200 less. The big difference was the switch from metal body to glass, but the Honor 8 still felt premium.

This. I'm fine paying less and getting 90% of the package.

I like the P Series, but I'm ok if only the Honor version coming to the US. Honor 8 was like 95% of the P9 but for about $200 less. The big difference was the switch from metal body to glass, but the Honor 8 still felt premium.

I think the P9 looks better and it has a metal body and better CPU. I'd rather pay a bit more tbh. And anyway they could release both. Choices are always nice.

Jeffrey

think they will first gauge how mate 9 does. Maybe release P10 later this year?

mate 9 is a rushed launch though, like there is no way to buy the 'super charger' anywhere atm in the US. Just called their customer service and they confirmed they will sell them eventually lol.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
^^

The US version didn't get the supercharger? Lol I felt odd because I got it with my international version, but can't use it.

Vanillalite

mate 9 is a rushed launch though, like there is no way to buy the 'super charger' anywhere atm in the US. Just called their customer service and they confirmed they will sell them eventually lol.

They problem with the Mate 9 is they needed to get out or not bother.

It's tough to not launch globally these days around the same time. The lag time from the Mate 9 launching in Asia and then getting it out in the West meant 'oh shit we need to get this out or else 2017 phones will be coming out!"

Latest marketshare numbers in select countries for lulz. Windows Phone is almost 100% dead in the USA.

And I said it already but if Canada is getting the P10 this summer then america is definitely going to get it too. Maybe not definitely but it's usually the case 90% of the time.

wilflare

still waiting for the OTA for my Nexus 6P.
maybe I should just get myself to sideload it then :/

ugh. it only Samsung sold its Exynos chips... they've proven themselves to be quite something (than the Snapdragon lol)

Jeffrey

Reliable LG eh?🤔

^^

The US version didn't get the supercharger? Lol I felt odd because I got it with my international version, but can't use it.

It comes with one. But I can't get another for the office unless I import.

US one is missing themes too for some reason.

This. I'm fine paying less and getting 90% of the package.

I think the P9 looks better and it has a metal body and better CPU. I'd rather pay a bit more tbh. And anyway they could release both. Choices are always nice.

I wanna start posting in this thread, I'll mostly or exclusively post on Huawei matters, I just want people to not find that weird and understand why, so I guess I'll share that I'm Huawei's brand keeper in Portugal's possibly biggest retail store in the country. Not a huge country, but quite interestingly where Huawei is having a resounding success, by far the best performing European market. My job is to sell and promote this brand and as such as I love Neogaf I just wanna get in on the discussion and possibly help with some questions anyone has and obviously give my opinion on some discussion, always keeping an imparcial tone on them. So feel free to ask anything, and I'll try and answer within what I know and can say.

There are some other small differences that Huawei sticks in the P series to distinguish it from the Honor equivalent, like the VIP service (+1 year warranty, 3 months screen warranty, and 3 month product replacement on the P9), for example, to give the P series a "more distinguishable" premium feeling.

But I mean, despite an arguably more premium body, a very very slightly faster CPU and the extra warranty, you can't go wrong with the Honor 8. It's a great deal and 200 euros/dollars less. Also comes with 4GB RAM, at least in Europe. Honor brand is exactly for the budget oriented consumer and you gain very little by going for the P9 over the Honor 8.

We're getting in on USA for good regardless of how Mate 9 does there, USA is a huge market, specially at this point for brand awareness and recognition. I don't know whether the P10 will launch there but the objective is to get the whole family available, as Honor is not regarded as an objective for sales/market share so it's not Huawei's true focus in not-low-cost markets.

So you guys don't get the fast charger bundled? You get a normal charger? That's ridiculous, it's easily one of the best features of the phone. 50% charge in 20 minutes, it never ceases to amaze me even after 2 months.

You can't get the charger separately in Europe either, you gotta order one from Huawei directly, and can't buy any in physical retail.

Edit: oh I see it comes included, good then. When you mean import it, you import it from like Amazon UK or something?

2nd edit: if anyone got any question about Mate 9 I can try and help, been using one for 2 months now.

Top Bottom