• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hasney

Has Facebook Messenger just broken any battery saving stuff? Not used it today either messages sent or received, but my battery is losing charge even plugged into my laptop. Thought it was my VPN so turned it off and still went down 10% and Messenger is top with 11%.

Wondering if it's just my phone or some update has sent it haywire. Did get the latest security updates last night for Jan too.

Has Facebook Messenger just broken any battery saving stuff? Not used it today either messages sent or received, but my battery is losing charge even plugged into my laptop. Thought it was my VPN so turned it off and still went down 10% and Messenger is top with 11%.

Wondering if it's just my phone or some update has sent it haywire. Did get the latest security updates last night for Jan too.
all facebook apps seem to be terribly optimized on android

uninstall it and see if it goes away. If you really need to use it try facebook messenger lite. I actually had facebook messenger installed on my work phone (not the regular facebook app) and it used buncha percentage points a couple hours in even though I've never touched the app or received a message,

Hasney

Yeah, I knew they were always bad, but this is 11% of battery while screen is only on 4% bad.

EDIT: Looks like battery stats is just assigning the battery drain to whatever app has some activity. My CPU is currently locked to 1.5Ghz on all four cores since the security update, so I may have to factory it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
mate 9 is the sex.

emui 5 fixes the main issues i have with older huawei stuff. never owned a mate 8, but im surprised at how holdable this is. Like its somehow easier to handle than my iphone 6s plus.

Gonna return this amazon one and pick up a newegg (tax free in ga), maybe in white.

told ya

vdlow

Might be a coincidence but today my battery was way lower than it should be by lunch time, and both Facebook and Messenger were guilty with almost 15% of use each. I restarted the phone and now it's charging, let's see how it behaves.

Hasney

Even though it wasn't coming up on the battery stats, I uninstalled the Facebook app and immediately my CPU started clocking down and the phone stopped being warm. Much better.

Jeffrey

Even though it wasn't coming up on the battery stats, I uninstalled the Facebook app and immediately my CPU started clocking down and the phone stopped being warm. Much better.

if you need facebook, use one of those web site wrapper apps like Swipe. Way better on the battery.

reKon

Banned
if you need facebook, use one of those web site wrapper apps like Swipe. Way better on the battery.

you don't even need that. I get notifications through my browser and it works flawlessly. I also have messenger in case I need to message easily, but I barely use it

yyzjohn

Banned

Yeah I've been using Swipe for a while now and my battery is much more consistent on a day to day basis now. Screw the facebook app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Authority

Samsung Electronics could release the Samsung Galaxy S8 in mid-April, according to a report from The Investor. The Korean business news site received the information from an industry source, who suggested that the new flagship phone could appear specifically in the third week of April, on the condition of anonymity.

The Investor also claims that some news outlets have suggested that the S8 would be released precisely on Tuesday, April 18. Cho Seo-hee, a spokesperson of Samsung Electronics, responded to the claims by saying, “We cannot confirm the details of the Galaxy S8 launch.”

Jeffrey

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/10/14223800/lg-g6-aspect-ratio-qhd-android-smartphone-mwc-2017

LG Display, the pseudo-independent display-making arm of LG, today announced a new 5.7-inch LCD with the unusual aspect ratio of 18:9 and a QHD+ resolution, which the company says will be used in LG’s next flagship smartphone. Additionally, sources familiar with the development of LG’s new phone tell The Verge that the emphasis of the new design will be on maximizing the screen-to-body ratio. LG previously did that very successfully with the LG G2, but moved away from it with larger models that prioritized other design features.

LG going to xiaomi mix it up.

bootloop without bezels.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
With the unveiling of both models possibly just two days away, specs for the pair were leaked today on weibo. According to the post by a tipster named @Upleaks, we should expect the HTC U Ultra to carry a large Gorilla Glass protected 6-inch display, with a 1440 x 2560 resolution. The new top-of-the-line Snapdragon 835 chipset is said to be powering the phone with an octa-core CPU and the Adreno 540 GPU. 4GB of RAM is inside along with 64GB of internal storage. A dual-camera setup (24MP and 13MP) is on back along with a 16MP front-facing camera for selfies and video chats. A second screen seemingly appears near the selfie camera in front. Keeping the lights on is a 4000mAh battery with a fingerprint scanner on back.

Alleged-images-of-the-HTC-U-Ultra.jpg

apparently, it's taking inspiration from the V20

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Spec...-leak-prior-to-January-12th-unveiling_id89835

Suplexer

I can't find any conclusive answers on this so I figured I would ask here. I saw that Google Daydream is going to support the ZTE Axon 7, but does that mean it will support the Axon 7 Mini?

I really hope it does. :X

Mindwipe

I can't find any conclusive answers on this so I figured I would ask here. I saw that Google Daydream is going to support the ZTE Axon 7, but does that mean it will support the Axon 7 Mini?

I really hope it does. :X

Not announced, but it's extremely unlikely. Extremely.

all facebook apps seem to be terribly optimized on android

uninstall it and see if it goes away. If you really need to use it try facebook messenger lite. I actually had facebook messenger installed on my work phone (not the regular facebook app) and it used buncha percentage points a couple hours in even though I've never touched the app or received a message,

Just removed facebook and messenger in favor of Lite because of this post.

Holy hell this is so much better. The official apps are complete garbage in comparison

AndyD

aka andydumi
I disabled it completely. Weather aside, the cards all had useless information. Cortana does a better job at aggregating information I'm interested in, because you can be a lot more specific at telling it want you're interested in.

You can do that with Now. There's a list of interests, or you can type your own. And you can blacklist sources regarding of topic if you want.

I use it daily from anything from weather to traffic to calendar. I just wish it was better at picking up items from all my calendars.

TTOOLL

You can do that with Now. There's a list of interests, or you can type your own. And you can blacklist sources regarding of topic if you want.

I use it daily from anything from weather to traffic to calendar. I just wish it was better at picking up items from all my calendars.

Battery life? Do you notice your phone heating up when you start walking/driving?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Battery life? Do you notice your phone heating up when you start walking/driving?

I honestly tried turning it off and I did not notice a change in battery life on my old phone and the new. Then again the Moto Z gets me hours of screen time, so if Now reduces it slightly, it more than makes up in convenience. As for heating up, have not noticed anything.

Jeffrey

facebook is crap on ios as well. I recall they found a loophole to ios's background management in which it just plays a silent audio track to keep the process up or something lol.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

Same for me today. Never seen it a battery drain before.
Its keeping my device CPU awake, cause of 20% drain so far today.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my iPhone SE up and running. There's a lot of Apple bloat and it's a huge shame you can't change default apps. Also, password managers are severely crippled since you need to switch to them to copy and paste passwords. Android just autofills. Additionally, having to physically click the home button to switch apps is annoying. It's a quick on screen key press in Android. Heck, a double tap will get you to your last app instantly.

After this experience with iOS, not sure if I can do the game changing iPhone 8. But I'm still giving it a try. My iPhone 7+ comes soon. I liked the idea of a small screen with my SE but in use, man, I missed my 6P screen size. Again, I'm still giving it a shot. These are just my first impressions while setting up iOS again.

Noema

Might be a coincidence but today my battery was way lower than it should be by lunch time, and both Facebook and Messenger were guilty with almost 15% of use each. I restarted the phone and now it's charging, let's see how it behaves.

There's something up with the latest update to Facebook. Today it used almost as much battery as Screen and I barely used the up.

seems like that htc has no headphone jack.

So it begins.

Sounds like I'll be needing to find a pair of bluetooth headphones in the next year if I want a new phone this year. :(
My S7 is still going strong, so hopefully I can avoid the temptation of shiny new phones through 2017.

With all the deals the S7 got last summer with bundling huge SD cards, Gear VRs, or smart watches, maybe this year companies will start offering bluetooth headphones as an option.

Hasney

Already deleted it. It had never given me any issues. They must've done something to it in the latest update.

Yeah, I was on CPU Spy all afternoon and I had 2 hours solid at 1.5Ghz even after leaving it. As soon as I uninstalled FB, it clocked back down instantly so that app has just gone bananas.

Problem with android. Rogue app can get you at any time. My dad's leeco 3 having battery issues for some reason too.

You just said FB on iOS was doing shit too!

Top Bottom