• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

LeleSocho

Banned
I wanna start posting in this thread, I'll mostly or exclusively post on Huawei matters, I just want people to not find that weird and understand why, so I guess I'll share that I'm Huawei's brand keeper in Portugal's possibly biggest retail store in the country. Not a huge country, but quite interestingly where Huawei is having a resounding success, by far the best performing European market. My job is to sell and promote this brand and as such as I love Neogaf I just wanna get in on the discussion and possibly help with some questions anyone has and obviously give my opinion on some discussion, always keeping an imparcial tone on them. So feel free to ask anything, and I'll try and answer within what I know and can say.
I don't understand, are you paid by Huawei?
Also wasn't Italy the biggest European market for them (and the second worldwide)?

Honor 8 coming tomorrow. Can't wait. Hope EMUI 4.1 isn't as bad as I think it is. Even if it is though, 5.0 should be just around the corner.

Also I played around with the Mate 9 at Best Buy today. Fucking beautiful phone. It's just too damn big for my liking. The software was really nice. EMUI definitely has fixed a lot of 4.1 issues.

I don't understand, are you paid by Huawei?
Also wasn't Italy the biggest European market for them (and the second worldwide)?

TL:DR, they don't pay me, but I do work for Huawei technically, no doubt about that.

I work for and within Huawei, not someone else. I sell phones in retail and promote the brand and maintain it at various levels at retail level. I'm the base pyramid guy, but I have the coolest job, which is selling our phones. The way things work in Portugal right now with the economic crisis though, means that I'm contracted by a middle man company. Huawei pays them for HR services and they pay us, the brand promotors/sellers.

Everything I do, report and everyone I talk and work with works at Huawei Portugal and Huawei Europe. I have no contact with the middle man except payments.

So as I said yes I work for them. I was kinda reluctant about revealing this but I'd rather people know because I wanna help out and I'd rather people on the thread know rather than thinking I'm a lunatic that posts dozens of posts all about the same brand just because I'm a fanboy xD so you can all know where my posts come from and what my opinions are based on.

____________/____________

In Portugal we're outdoing all other big or small europeans markets by far this year. By far. IT is second in Europe behind us. UK is going very, veryyy strong as well, which is important.

Edit: We're in a curious position right now as a brand globally (China excluded), just inches away from Samsung and Apple, yet at the same time so far away from reaching them. Kinda paradoxal, but true regardless.

CronoShot

LG is about to release the ideal smartphone apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-N5cZBcl0

LG-G6-water-resistant-01.jpg

If you look on the bottom in tiny letters it says "BOOT LOOPS"

Jeffrey

Edit: oh I see it comes included, good then. When you mean import it, you import it from like Amazon UK or something?

2nd edit: if anyone got any question about Mate 9 I can try and help, been using one for 2 months now.

Yeah there is zero listing of the mate 9 supercharger anywhere on US resellers of mate 9 (bnh, newegg, amazon, bestbuy).

Is there anyway to get the lockscreen music playback notification controls for 3rd party apps, like pocketcast or amazon music?

Google music works but i've not successfully gotten music controls to appear for other apps.

Is there anyway to double tap the screen to wake like many other android skins?

madmook

Also worth noting that if you have access to a student email you can get a 10% discount code that should drop it to $360, but for some reason (Not sure if somebody else can replicate) it is dropped to $323 in my cart after adding the student discount.
Damn, I would buy at that price, but it appears there's no student discount in the US. Wanna get a cheap (relatively speaking) Android I could dabble around with (currently an iPhone user).

I'm kind of impressed the year old OS is so high. I thought everyone would still be on Lollipop.

On Android, most users "upgrade" their OS when they buy a new phone. Look at the way Android version marketshare breaks down, each major revision going back about 3 years has around 20-25% share. From this, we can surmise that on average 20-25% of Android phone owners replace their phone every year. Those people who bought a phone in 2016 currently have MM. People will be buying phones with Nougat in force during 2017, so by January of 2018 we should expect Nougat to be at 20-25% share. Past 3 years or so, you're either holding onto your phone until they pry it from your cold, dead hands (the tiny but persistent shares of older Android versions) or you have upgraded. This creates the distinctive fragmentation pattern of tiny share of the newest version, then around 20-25% of the previous 3 versions, and then a remaining 20-25% of users on older versions.

Damn, I would buy at that price, but it appears there's no student discount in the US. Wanna get a cheap (relatively speaking) Android I could dabble around with (currently an iPhone user).
I'm in the US and they do have a student discount, but you have to go through UNiDAYS to get a code.

TTOOLL

Samsung started rolling out Nougat for the S7, beta users getting it first. It's 7.0 not 7.1.

Btw, what are the differences between them?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
On Android, most users "upgrade" their OS when they buy a new phone. Look at the way Android version marketshare breaks down, each major revision going back about 3 years has around 20-25% share. From this, we can surmise that on average 20-25% of Android phone owners replace their phone every year. Those people who bought a phone in 2016 currently have MM. People will be buying phones with Nougat in force during 2017, so by January of 2018 we should expect Nougat to be at 20-25% share. Past 3 years or so, you're either holding onto your phone until they pry it from your cold, dead hands (the tiny but persistent shares of older Android versions) or you have upgraded. This creates the distinctive fragmentation pattern of tiny share of the newest version, then around 20-25% of the previous 3 versions, and then a remaining 20-25% of users on older versions.
That actually makes sense.

tzare

Honor 8 coming tomorrow. Can't wait. Hope EMUI 4.1 isn't as bad as I think it is. Even if it is though, 5.0 should be just around the corner.

Also I played around with the Mate 9 at Best Buy today. Fucking beautiful phone. It's just too damn big for my liking. The software was really nice. EMUI definitely has fixed a lot of 4.1 issues.

android 7.1 guidelines for oems seems to adress some issues, especially for chinese manufacturers, at least lock screen and notification behaviour, so if honor 8 and future huawei smartphones using android reach 7.1 or further the worst of emui may be gone forever

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...and-notification-bundling-features-mandatory/

Yeah there is zero listing of the mate 9 supercharger anywhere on US resellers of mate 9 (bnh, newegg, amazon, bestbuy).

Is there anyway to get the lockscreen music playback notification controls for 3rd party apps, like pocketcast or amazon music?

Google music works but i've not successfully gotten music controls to appear for other apps.

Is there anyway to double tap the screen to wake like many other android skins?

I don't think you can get the notifications controls for the default lockscreen, I've looked into it myself when I first got the Mate 9 and never found a solution that didn't require either root or installing another lockscreen app.

As for the double tap to wake, you can't either. Only by rooting, once again.

Replacing my old Nexus 5 battery tomorrow. I have had my Nexus 5 just sitting in my backpack forever (battery was dying within hours and gradually got worse, so I got a new phone back then).

I ordered a battery (not OEM unfortunately) and the prying tools. The replacement looks rather easy compared to other phones.

I'm not planning on using this as a daily driver, just as a backup if something happens and I felt like messing with Android again (been using an iPhone for about 2 years now).

notifications and widgets are so much better on android it's not even funny

I've never rooted any phone but I'm interested in getting Nougat on there.

Any ideas? I just plan on playing with this for a bit. Any recommendations?

I unfortunately forgot the pattern I had set and when my phone was last dying, it would never bring up the "forgot password?" to send me an email to unlock my phone. Anyone know how to go about that? If not I don't mind formatting it, but I'm just curious!

Looks like the U Ultra is the flagship and no HTC 11 is coming

nah it's definitely coming, probably going to announce it later in the year. I'd be shocked if a phone running an 821 is their flagship for the year.

Also I just realized that HTC is officially obsolete considering Huawei is basically a better more successful version of them. Even if the HTC 11 is good the P10 series of phones is probably better.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
eh I dunno:

David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 9m9 minutes ago

By the way, HTC strongly implied when presenting U Ultra that this phone means there will be no real HTC 11. U is the flagship now.

HTC was hesitant to commit to this on record, but the message seemed clear: U is where our investment is now. U Ultra is the flagship.

Given no carrier deals in the US for these phones, HTC bowing out of the US market seems like an eventuality at this point.

of course, things might change

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 2m2 minutes ago

Btw, on a more positive note: HTC U Ultra is the first non-Pixel phone announced with Google Assistant.

lol, HTC couldn't be bothered to mention this?

Jeffrey

You liking EMUI 5.0? I was only able to play with it for about 5 minutes so I don't have a big history of it.

It's ok. More stockish in functionality than before, but still a lot of 'chinese' bits, like no music playback on lockscreen (weirdly google music and their stock app works?), no double tap to wake, always bugging you about 'THIS APP USES BATTERY'. Have to basically manually tell it that its good for every app.

notifications are basically a themed out stock 7.0 notifications though instead of the weird split thing in 4.

App drawer is vertical scroll again.

Besides that though, I slapped Nova launcher on it, and its pretty much been the same experience as my OP3.

It's ok. More stockish in functionality than before, but still a lot of 'chinese' bits, like no music playback on lockscreen (weirdly google music and their stock app works?)

Google guidelines for Android probably make it so Huawei has to support their music player appearing on the lockscreen.

Jeffrey

Google guidelines for Android probably make it so Huawei has to support their music player appearing on the lockscreen.

probably, but the lack of double tap to wake makes the lockscreen ultimately pointless for me lol.

Huawei's fingerprint sensor is stupid fast as always, but it being on the back makes it slightly more annoying when i have my phone on the desk.

It's ok. More stockish in functionality than before, but still a lot of 'chinese' bits, like no music playback on lockscreen (weirdly google music and their stock app works?), no double tap to wake, always bugging you about 'THIS APP USES BATTERY'. Have to basically manually tell it that its good for every app.

notifications are basically a themed out stock 7.0 notifications though instead of the weird split thing in 4.

App drawer is vertical scroll again.

Besides that though, I slapped Nova launcher on it, and its pretty much been the same experience as my OP3.

Wait so Spotify won't have music player on the lockscreen? Oh man that's a big deal to me.

Jeffrey

i can try spotify, is free without ads still a thing? never used the service before.

Doesn't seem so for me. Maybe that Huawei not employee can help?

Top Bottom