• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Awesome bezel to screen ratio. Terrible ass fingerprint sensor location lol. Can't believe someone thought it would be ok to put it there. WTF. Maybe it's not the fingerprint scanner or something.

Awesome bezel to screen ratio. Terrible ass fingerprint sensor location lol. Can't believe someone thought it would be ok to put it there. WTF. Maybe it's not the fingerprint scanner or something.
It's def the scanner lol. It looks exactly like the home button flipped on its side. It really makes no sense having it up that high on the phone.

All you need is screen. So much screen that there isn't even room for the Samsung logo in front anymore lol.

I just wish Samsung would make non-Edge versions of the devices. I hate the Edge screens.

Groof

That fingerprint sensor loooord
charlie-murphy.gif

you'll only have to adjust your hand literally every.single.time you unlock the phone. Minor inconvenience!!!
Ha, Seriously. I really can't believe they put it there.

All you need is screen. So much screen that there isn't even room for the Samsung logo in front anymore lol.

I just wish Samsung would make non-Edge versions of the devices. I hate the Edge screens.
Same. I've played around with the Edge versions of their phones and I just don't get the appeal. They look cool, but that's about it. All the Edge software features could be done with the regular displays.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why is there such a huge Pixel chin on it

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
specs will get better, but with how similar the camera app is on the mate 9 compare to honor 8, not expecting huge changes on the layout front.

Huawei in a weird release chipset spot.

Idk what the Honor 9 (?) will model itself off of.

The Mate 9 is going on 4 months old now, and last year's Honor 8 was more of a P9.

Yet they were lttp in launching the Mate 9 in America that I don't see how they just turn around and release a better P9 and an Honor 9 with the Mate 9 being out there.

this_guy

Huawei in a weird release chipset spot.

Idk what the Honor 9 (?) will model itself off of.

The Mate 9 is going on 4 months old now, and last year's Honor 8 was more of a P9.

Yet they were lttp in launching the Mate 9 in America that I don't see how they just turn around and release a better P9 and an Honor 9 with the Mate 9 being out there.

Their P series comes out spring - summer (at least internationally). Last year's Honor 8 was based on the P9 and was unveiled late August. So maybe P10 somewhere before summer and then the Honor based off of that 3-5 months down the line.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
you'll only have to adjust your hand literally every.single.time you unlock the phone. Minor inconvenience!!!

I think they'll just want people to use the iris scanner instead. Overall this looks like a skip year for galaxy, very underwhelming, especially if the rumors about the camera not being much better hold true.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Their P series comes out spring - summer (at least internationally). Last year's Honor 8 was based on the P9 and was unveiled late August. So maybe P10 somewhere before summer and then the Honor based off of that 3-5 months down the line.

I think what fucks with them at least in Na is different phones have different lag times in terms of when they release here.

Quixzlizx

Are iris scanners less accurate, slower, or less secure than fingerprint sensors? Seems like it would be way more convenient to just glance at your phone to unlock it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Are iris scanners less accurate, slower, or less secure than fingerprint sensors? Seems like it would be way more convenient to just glance at your phone to unlock it.

They can be fast and accurate, and iirc more secure than fingerprints. However the angles means you can't use it in every situation, like if its laying on a desk in front of you. And you don't always want to hold up your phone to your face, you may want to keep it at hip level and iris scanning doesn't work well like that either. Also really bright days could make it harder to pick up your iris.

Quixzlizx

They can be fast and accurate, and iirc more secure than fingerprints. However the angles means you can't use it in every situation, like if its laying on a desk in front of you. And you don't always want to hold up your phone to your face, you may want to keep it at hip level and iris scanning doesn't work well like that either. Also really bright days could make it harder to pick up your iris.

Thanks for the explanation. Although desks also stymie rear fingerprint scanners.

AFAIK, and this is in no way any confirmation, but we're looking at a March release, ASAP. ASAP as in if we can do it March 1st, we'll do it. We're most likely to launch before the S8, which is nice for a change.

Edit: Global release, not sure about the USA release though.

Laekon

So I have a 5X (16GB) that is great for me most of the time. The only thing I don't like is those few days a month when I'm out and using the phone alot to get directions, finding places to eat, or waste time web surfing, and the battery life just disappears. Now today I saw the Honor 8 32GB for sale at $290. I've never thought of the phone before but at that price it seems like a good deal. I've been watching the S7 for price drops but it's still about $500. There aren't a lot of reviews on sites I like for the 8 so is there any reason to avoid it?

I'm not a power user. My main things I use are the camera(no video), maps, Facebook/instagram, and chrome. I don't think android 7.? added a single useful feature. I also don't want to spend more then $500 on a phone, which is why I wouldn't consider a Pixel.

ty_hot

So I have a 5X (16GB) that is great for me most of the time. The only thing I don't like is those few days a month when I'm out and using the phone alot to get directions, finding places to eat, or waste time web surfing, and the battery life just disappears. Now today I saw the Honor 8 32GB for sale at $290. I've never thought of the phone before but at that price it seems like a good deal. I've been watching the S7 for price drops but it's still about $500. There aren't a lot of reviews on sites I like for the 8 so is there any reason to avoid it?

I'm not a power user. My main things I use are the camera(no video), maps, Facebook/instagram, and chrome. I don't think android 7.? added a single useful feature. I also don't want to spend more then $500 on a phone, which is why I wouldn't consider a Pixel.

For that price the Honor is a great deal. Under 500 you could also get the more powerful OnePlus 3T or the ZTE Axon 7. They are bigger phones though, which can be good/bad.

I got myself a OP3T because it has lots of power and I hope it will last a long time, but if I had the option of getting an Honor 8 for that price I would take it for sure. I live in Spain and there arent many discounts for the Honor (normal price is 400, and if you are lucky it goes down to 380 or 370. Last week there was the S7 Edge for 500 euros in here though.

Futureman

still not getting the S8 fingerprint scanner complaints. Holding my S7, that's naturally where my index finger goes.

if it was below the camera in the middle, I would need to bend my index finger down.

I think either would be fine honestly. I guess people just like to be REALLY opinionated when it comes to phones.

also... looks like 4 side buttons. Maybe one is a dedicated camera button?

still not getting the S8 fingerprint scanner complaints. Holding my S7, that's naturally where my index finger goes.

if it was below the camera in the middle, I would need to bend my index finger down.

I think either would be fine honestly. I guess people just like to be REALLY opinionated when it comes to phones.

or a dedicated Bixby button!

Jzero

Same, these guys must have tiny trump hands

reKon

Banned

I was just going to make this post when I got home today. I was taking an Uber and suddenly just realized that my finger placement at the time was just a few centimeters below and to the right of where they would be placing the finger sensor on the S8. Looking back at all the reactions is pretty funny. We'll have to see if this works for most people. I don't think it's a deal breaker though based on how I hold my S7 Edge

sooooooooooooooo

remember my rotated home button comment?

It makes far more sense that he created the S8 render himself, based on the previous renders he had already completed, than obtaining a legitimate press image out of the blue. And as the old saying goes, "you can tell from the pixels," his S8 image doesn't hold up under closer inspection:

C3PIYtXXUAE8Fap.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...specially-twitter-accounts-like-venyageskin1/

Jzero

Does Samsung give shit away when ever their new phones come out like they did with the Gear VR? I might jump on the deal if they do it again.

Edit: Just realized they sell their phones for $800+, fuck that.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Is the YouTube app stuttery as shit for anyone else?

I don't know if it's the new update that's causing this, but it's pretty much impossible to watch videos because it just stutters or freezes at a single frame every few seconds :/

Top Bottom