• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

Zoe

When I had my Nexus 5, any time I connected to a WiFi hotspot that required browser authentication, the system notified me and opened a browser-like window. Now that I'm on a Nexus 6, I no longer get that notification and have to go onto random sites in Chrome until I hit one that isn't cached so the authentication page will load.

Was this a function of the OS before, or is there some app on the Nexus 5 that I forgot to install on the Nexus 6?

Yikes at that fingerprint sensor location LOLLLLLLLL

and the screen size is increasing that much and the battery size is still the same for the smaller one?

So if I have a choice between oneplus three and p9, which one should opt for? I really value photography and the p9 seems to be really unique in that regard with the monochrome lens and fake bokeh. Everything else on the spec sheet points to oneplus three though. Is the monochrome lens and fake bokeh good enough to offset all the spec differences?

Anyone had any experience with both?

I don't play games on my phone. I only browse, chat and take pictures.

I'm as partial as it gets, I have the P9 as a daily driver, and I usually see and mess around with a O+3 quite a few times per week. I mean these are top devices. They are both fast as hell, P9 is a bit faster, but you won't notice a difference. If you did it would be 2 years down the line only and even then I have my doubts you'd see a difference.

For me the P9 is top top class during day photos, the best, at night it's not the best though, but pretty good. Monochrome images are beautiful, but really, the bokeh is just amazing. Fake or not, the end results are a lot of the times incredibly convincing. For an unkeen eye and a lot of regular costumers, and even some trained eyes and photographers actually, they pass off as 100% equal as the result you get on a DSLR in terms of bokeh. We know it's not as good as a DSLR here at Neogaf of course, but when I demonstrate the P9 and showoff the photos to costumers (and that's why I'm partial, my job is to sell P9s and more Huawei phones), I get all sorts of awesome and ego-increasing reactions. I get accused of having edited the photos, accused of taking them with a DSLR, or having gotten them on the Internet somewhere.

That really speaks to me about the end result Huawei got. Software based, hardware based, or hybrid based, the fact it can leave actual photographers in awe just gives me a confirmation that in that regard, it really is something else. I have my opinion, but having costumers confirm my opinion is the best confirmation I can have about the results we achieve.

The best thing is it takes incredible photos in automatic mode, by simply pressing the button.

I have a lot of bokeh examples, drop me a Pm if you want samples, or I can post them here if more people want some examples. I can also give you a quick demo of the bokeh mode and editing if you want!

If photography is fundamental to you, in that case I'd go P9 over O+3.

Futureman

Regarding S8, Isn't there a new tech where they can add the finger print scanner under the glass screen on the front? I know there was an article on the Verge about this and how it would show up in some phones this year.

The back of the leaked S8 looks exactly like the S7. Not sure if they could also add in a scanner in the flash/heart rate monitor thing.

Regarding S8, Isn't there a new tech where they can add the finger print scanner under the glass screen on the front? I know there was an article on the Verge about this and how it would show up in some phones this year.

The back of the leaked S8 looks exactly like the S7. Not sure if they could also add in a scanner in the flash/heart rate monitor thing.
there is. We will see who will be the first to use it on the popular android side. Might be Apple who does it first but we'll see. I say popular because for all I know some chinese company will do it or has done it.

Avixph

S8? S8

galaxy_s8-930x775.jpg

The two models, with 5.8- and 6.2-inch QHD Super AMOLED screens which cover 83% of their front panels, were first detailed by The Guardian. Because of their unusual size, their aspect ratio — at 18.5:9 — deviates slightly from the industry-standard 16:9. As The Guardian noted, both models sport Samsung’s “edge” display, which curves downward on both sides of the handset.

While the Android Nougat-powered phones may include different systems-on-chip depending on sales region — Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 in some and Samsung Exynos in others — all will have processors made using 10-nanometer fabrication methods. Performance-wise, this is said to make them 11% faster than the Galaxy S7 overall, with 23% faster graphics processing, but still 20% more energy efficient.

That improved power consumption will be critical, because despite the vastly-increased display sizes, battery capacity is said to be a relatively conservative 3000mAh and 3500mAh for the 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch designs, respectively. And while internally the 4GB of RAM remains unchanged from the past few models, 64GB is the new baseline when it comes to internal storage (supplemented by a 256GB-capable microSD slot).

Charging is accomplished via a USB-C port, which is located on the bottom of the handsets next to — as Samsung will no doubt highlight in its presentation — an Apple-scorned 3.5-millimeter jack. Stereo speakers flank the two connectors.

Another difference between this year and last: the price. In Europe, the two Galaxy S8 models will each cost €100 more than last year’s models — the 5.8-inch model will retail for €799 and the 6.2-inch model at €899. Both go on sale April 21.

tons more details at link

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/26/this-is-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-launching-march-29/

Looks good, except for the placement of the fingerprint scanner.

yogloo

I'm as partial as it gets, I have the P9 as a daily driver, and I usually see and mess around with a O+3 quite a few times per week. I mean these are top devices. They are both fast as hell, P9 is a bit faster, but you won't notice a difference. If you did it would be 2 years down the line only and even then I have my doubts you'd see a difference.

For me the P9 is top top class during day photos, the best, at night it's not the best though, but pretty good. Monochrome images are beautiful, but really, the bokeh is just amazing. Fake or not, the end results are a lot of the times incredibly convincing. For an unkeen eye and a lot of regular costumers, and even some trained eyes and photographers actually, they pass off as 100% equal as the result you get on a DSLR in terms of bokeh. We know it's not as good as a DSLR here at Neogaf of course, but when I demonstrate the P9 and showoff the photos to costumers (and that's why I'm partial, my job is to sell P9s and more Huawei phones), I get all sorts of awesome and ego-increasing reactions. I get accused of having edited the photos, accused of taking them with a DSLR, or having gotten them on the Internet somewhere.

That really speaks to me about the end result Huawei got. Software based, hardware based, or hybrid based, the fact it can leave actual photographers in awe just gives me a confirmation that in that regard, it really is something else. I have my opinion, but having costumers confirm my opinion is the best confirmation I can have about the results we achieve.

The best thing is it takes incredible photos in automatic mode, by simply pressing the button.

I have a lot of bokeh examples, drop me a Pm if you want samples, or I can post them here if more people want some examples. I can also give you a quick demo of the bokeh mode and editing if you want!

If photography is fundamental to you, in that case I'd go P9 over O+3.
Sold!!! Thanks!!!!

When I had my Nexus 5, any time I connected to a WiFi hotspot that required browser authentication, the system notified me and opened a browser-like window. Now that I'm on a Nexus 6, I no longer get that notification and have to go onto random sites in Chrome until I hit one that isn't cached so the authentication page will load.

Was this a function of the OS before, or is there some app on the Nexus 5 that I forgot to install on the Nexus 6?
I had that on my Nexus 6, and have it now on my Pixel XL. Did you maybe disable it in Settings?

vivftp

As much as I want to believe that info, it seems to have originally come from a well known idiot who roams another forum I visit. He posted it on his site/blog and the same info is being posted elsewhere. He's known for just calling out random specs and making random predictions and pretty much nothing seems to pan out of it AFAIK.

It would be great if another source could independently confirm these details, but until then I won't bother getting excited over this "leak" :(

looks like my oneplus 3 is the chinese model somehow and that's the reaosn i can't access lte via tmobile.

well fuck

or the sim card is fucked idk

edit: in better news, Looks like the 3t shipping times are good now. So i'll return the OP3 to amazon. and order a 3t through oneplus.

I didn't get my OP3T yesterday as scheduled. Turns out my phone went on a little holiday. Bear in mind, I'm in London...

SZCZECIN - POLAND
POZNAN - POLAND
HANNOVER - GERMANY
BRUSSELS - BELGIUM
GATWICK - UK (hooray, it's in London!)
LONDON-HEATHROW - UK (wait, DHL, what r u doing...)
EXETER - UK (wut) <--- this was yesterday
LONDON-HEATHROW - UK

Now, out for delivery by end of day, but I'm not in London after lunch and I'm not back until next week. Great...

longdi

Banned
oh y'all wanted a rear FP sensor?

HOLDAT L

real talk.... why the rear FP sensor look like a 90 degree rotated Samsung Home button?

Apple is so going to rekt them with their embedded onscreen sensor!

Well the S8 seems like a small upgrade over S7, bleh, 4GB ram, yucks. Android phones have been working on a 2 year performance cycle. LG G6 sounds even worse with S821, lolwut?!

Yep iPhone8 is going to rekt all this year...

And yes, fp sensor on the back is terrible, and Samsung placement makes it looks badder!

kaiyo

As much as I want to believe that info, it seems to have originally come from a well known idiot who roams another forum I visit. He posted it on his site/blog and the same info is being posted elsewhere. He's known for just calling out random specs and making random predictions and pretty much nothing seems to pan out of it AFAIK.

It would be great if another source could independently confirm these details, but until then I won't bother getting excited over this "leak" :(
Hopefully Sony announces something good.
But judging from history is mostly going to be mid range devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yoooo lmao at 90 degrees adjusted, finger print sensor home buttons slapped on the rear.

ty_hot

After getting a Nexus 6P earlier this week, using it for a few days, I decided to get a Oneplus 3T. Not because it is bad - the opposite actually. Just ordered the white/gold 64gb version (haters gonna hate). I planned to keep the 6P for a few months and then get a new phone and give the 6P to my girlfriend... but the system is so good, I cant leave her with a shit Zenfone Go that Asus updated and now cant even PLAY or RECORD videos without lagging every 3 seconds lol. I had a Lumia 640, so it was also a big jump.

Decided to get the nextbit Robin yesterday, but they dont sell it in Spain and all Amazon stores cant shit it to me. On ebay the price is so much higher than amazon (180 and 250). So I just understood it as a signal to get the OP3T. It has the best hardware, loadsof RAM and space (for me at least), the best available SoC (until summer maybe?), the screen is 1080p which is great enough for image quality and not high enough to drain your battery (and this will also keep the hardware strong in the long term), best fast charging technology as well. And on top of that, Lineage OS official support, so hopefuly it will have a few years of support. I am also counting that it will have a 7.1 update from Oneplus themselves before I need to move to Lineage OS.

450 euros is a lot but seems reasonable enough. Cant wait for it to arrive (and my girlfriend as well). Got a cheap plastic cover because the official ones cost 25, which is absolutely crazy - I like how the phone looks and I rprefer to have a cristal case for protection that doesnt hide its body.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anandtech Mate 9 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10871/the-huawei-mate-9-review

result:
good ass phone

The bigger take away is they finally fixed their shit GPU problem the Kirin 950 was hobbled with. CPU in the 950 was fine and on par with the Snap 820, but the GPU was a generation or two behind.

So now you aren't gimping yourself even if you aren't a big gamer or really into VR or shit.

If anything the CPU is benchmark is a marginal upgrade while the GPU is an order of magnitude better.

PS: OnePlus better bring it cause the Honor 9 won't be a spec downgrade in anyway now if it uses the 960 let alone the 970.

RdN

Guys,

What do you think about going from a Moto X 2014 to a Moto Z Play?

Would it be worth it?

I know battery life is incredible with the Z Play, but what about performance? WOuld I see the benefits? Or is the Snapdragon 625 on it slower than de 801 that my Moto X has?

Jeffrey

Guys,

Would it be worth it?

I know battery life is incredible with the Z Play, but what about performance? WOuld I see the benefits? Or is the Snapdragon 625 on it slower than de 801 that my Moto X has?

Should be comparable. It's not something people ding it much.

Vanillalite

Yes no point. People with old 800/1 devices are so basically sol on getting anything with a 6XX chip even if those are newer phones.

LeleSocho

Banned
Considering that the Mate 9 was actually released in 2016 this device is a beast.
2017 flagship performance in a 2016 phone essentially.

Bullet points of AnandTech's review are:

- 1080p Display with superb contrast and brightness but poor color calibration and viewing angles
- Debut of the A73 core in the CPU, it outperforms the best that was available on Android phones while having major gains in efficiency.
- Debut of Bifrost core in the GPU, finally on par with the competition without using an insane amounts of clusters like the GS7 did.
- Performance is great in opening/closing apps and general usage but this new EMUI seems to have a bug that doesn't let the phone achieve 60fps when scrolling, Huawei probably working on it.
- Camera is on par with GS7 and Pixel overall aside for the meh HDR, bonus point for the monochrome sensor.
- Best battery life of all the flagship phones

Vanillalite

So, if I'm looking for a performance improvement, I've nowhere to go but the flagship phone route?

If you are on GSM, look at Chinese options. Flagship specs for $400 or lower.

This.

You have to go with a nicer phone, but you don't have to pay $700 for a Pixel or a Samaung.

You can get a phone like the Axon 7, OnePlus 3T, or Honor 8 for far less than your typical LG or Samsung flagship.

this_guy

Guys,

Would it be worth it?

Performance should be about the same but it's a huuuuge upgrade in battery life and a big upgrade in camera.

So, if I'm looking for a performance improvement, I've nowhere to go but the flagship phone route?

As already has been mentioned, the $400 segment of Honor 8, ZTE Axon 7, and OnePlus 3 are all good phones. You can probably find the Honor 8 and Axon 7 for closer to $300 as they get close to that when on sale.

Vanillalite

As already has been mentioned, the $400 segment of Honor 8, ZTE Axon 7, and OnePlus 3 are all good phones. You can probably find the Honor 8 and Axon 7 for closer to $300 as they get close to that when on sale.

Yeah I think the Honor 8 is still sub $350 on Amazon like eternally.

Jeffrey

And honestly I don't think performance jump is huge regardless. A 800 series snapdragon will be about as smooth as anything recent on a lightly skinned OS.

Was playing around with my old OPO. Still slick, running cm14

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just tried to exchange my Nexus 6P with Huawei for the battery issue. They were accepting it in December but I didn't get my iPhone until recently, so I didn't want to send in my 6P for repair until I had a replacement phone to use. I called back today and followed up. They said they're not taking it anymore because their policy changed in January. Apparently, devices taken in from Huawei and being sent back after exchange didn't fix the battery issue. So now they refuse to take it and said to wait for the next Android update. I said OK because it makes sense for it to be a firmware issue.

The Huawei representative Lydia was kind of rude. I asked to follow up on my December ticket and she was like, yeah, we're not taking it back. Only after I pressed her and mentioned my December emails and acceptance of repair did she offer the explanation above.

Simple customer service made more difficult by people who hate their jobs.

this_guy

Just read the anandtech Mate 9 review. It really is a nice phone and a competitor to the Samsung Galaxy.

Hopefully this year's Honor 8 sequel will be a similar improvement.

Top Bottom