• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
does apple pay work on the new macbooks?
Yep. The touch ID on the touch bar makes it incredibly simple. I'm hoping that approach to web purchasing becomes standard. Sounds perfect for a new Pixelbook.

ty_hot

My Nexus 6P just arrived! Omg, its so beautiful, much better than on photos! The size is big but still feels good on my hand!

I am coming from a Windows Phone (argh) Lumia 640. Huge step ofc. Oh boy, how I missed Android! I can finally have those almost useless apps like Burkger King/Mc Donalds that give some discounts every now and then... and ofc, were not available on the WP. Feels good to have a phone that actually give a wide range of apps to do those things that you never thought you needed. And I will finally have Inbox app to manage my emails! it was a pain in the ass to use the shitty WP mail app, I would delete emails from there and after one hour they would still be there because god knows when the app syncs.

One question, how do I know which places support android pay? I'd like to use it here in Spain if possible. Will it work anywhere that supports contactless payments?

My Nexus 6P just arrived! Omg, its so beautiful, much better than on photos! The size is big but still feels good on my hand!

I am coming from a Windows Phone (argh) Lumia 640. Huge step ofc. Oh boy, how I missed Android! I can finally have those almost useless apps like Burkger King/Mc Donalds that give some discounts every now and then... and ofc, were not available on the WP. Feels good to have a phone that actually give a wide range of apps to do those things that you never thought you needed. And I will finally have Inbox app to manage my emails! it was a pain in the ass to use the shitty WP mail app, I would delete emails from there and after one hour they would still be there because god knows when the app syncs.

One question, how do I know which places support android pay? I'd like to use it here in Spain if possible. Will it work anywhere that supports contactless payments?
leaving the windows phone ghetto must be a glorious experience.

Google is slow AF at signing deals with banks for Android Pay. Don't think there's anything for spain. Even Canada which is right next door has very little support.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I have $150 to burn and wouldn't mind a new phone to replace my 1GBRam Moto G3. What's the best one for that (really low) price?

Any way you can wait? Mobile World Congress is in February and a bunch of new phones are gonna be announced.

As of right now I'd just tell you to get a Moto G4, but the G5 is rumored to launch at MWC. Even if it's out of your $150 price range at launch it might mean the G4 gets even cheaper.

ty_hot

So I have $150 to burn and wouldn't mind a new phone to replace my 1GBRam Moto G3. What's the best one for that (really low) price?

Isnt the Nextbit Robin around that price? There was a good deal on Amazon a few weeks back, worth checking.

leaving the windows phone ghetto must be a glorious experience.

Google is slow AF at signing deals with banks for Android Pay. Don't think there's anything for spain. Even Canada which is right next door has very little support.

You have no idea how bad my phone was hahahaha It could only do the basic things (internet/messaging/photos/maps), but none of them at a decent quality bug free. The system UI was the best one though... shame Microsoft couldnt make their apps great to begin with.

I didnt know Google had to deal with the banks... guess I am not using it then.

--

I downloaded the PhotoScan app from google. Impressed by its quality. used it to scan my ID and not a old photo, and the result is as good as a scanned one.
I can finally have netflix, google music, a Spotify app that is not slow as fuck, etc. My life quality is already 100% better.

Ahasverus

Any way you can wait? Mobile World Congress is in February and a bunch of new phones are gonna be announced.

As of right now I'd just tell you to get a Moto G4, but the G5 is rumored to launch at MWC. Even if it's out of your $150 price range at launch it might mean the G4 gets even cheaper.
well I can kinda wait until feb 10 when I leave the states :p Thanks for your suggestions!

ty_hot

My bank has its own NFC payment app, I downloaded it and will and set it up. Gonna try later. I dont like walking with my card so having it on the phone will be a huge plus.

I have my fingerprint set on the phone, and a pin code as well - I couldnt find the option of only having the fingerprint, does it exist? As I will have my card assigned for NFC payments I am worried about the security, but this seems safe enough, no? Does the phone lock itself after some wrong PIN attempts? Anything else I should do with the phone?

Saiyan-Rox

Only found out today you don't need to unlock your phone for android pay to work

I swear you did need too unlock for it to work due to needing a secure lockscreen :S

Bit of an odd one this... I have a stock Nexus 5 and for some reason one of the apps I have installed has disappeared. I noticed it was missing from my home screen, so I went looking for it in the apps folder thing ("O" button) and it's gone from there too.

However, it's most definitely still installed, as I can go to the app store page for it and launch it from there. Stranger still, it's not showing in the apps list in the settings screen.

I know the simple answer is uninstalling / reinstalling it, but it's got about two years of workout data in it that I wont be able to get back.

Detox

Bit of an odd one this... I have a stock Nexus 5 and for some reason one of the apps I have installed has disappeared. I noticed it was missing from my home screen, so I went looking for it in the apps folder thing ("O" button) and it's gone from there too.

However, it's most definitely still installed, as I can go to the app store page for it and launch it from there. Stranger still, it's not showing in the apps list in the settings screen.

I know the simple answer is uninstalling / reinstalling it, but it's got about two years of workout data in it that I wont be able to get back.
Connect it via USB to your PC and you might find the data otherwise email the Dev to figure out if it's possible to pull the data.

One of the backup solutions may also work.

tzare

maybe you booted in safe mode?

No, it's literally just this one app amongst 50 others, and it's clear they've updated it recently so I'm guessing something went wrong at that point. Plus the issue persisted after a reboot.

What's more bullshit is Samsung already makes their own chips. They just need the Qualcomm chips for Na due to all the licensing bullshit.

I hope Apples takes Qualcomm to the fucking cleaners in their lawsuit.

Also I hope Huawei brings their 970 to the west ASAP. We need more competition.

As long as Verizon and Sprint are still using 3G networks with CDMA2000, Qualcomm isn't going anywhere. This is an unfortunate fact of life. It's also why Verizon is pushing so aggressively to get everyone on VoLTE, because once the 3G network is no longer necessary it can be shut down and that will finally put an end to Qualcomm's stranglehold on Verizon's networks. Nobody wants to be on a fully global standards compliant network more than Verizon does but network transitions are an agonizingly slow process.

Qualcomm has been stifling innovation for far too long at this point, I hope Apple eats them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

kaiyo

Sony announcing 5 phones at MWC?

At the very top is the “Yoshino”, which will run on a Snapdragon 835, with 4 or 6 GB of LPDDR4 RAM, Sony IMX 400 camera, and a 5.5-inch 3840×2160 4K screen. These specs would make it a perfect fit for the Xperia XZ’s successor. Two years ago, the 4K screen might be an eccentricity, but with mobile VR these days, it could become a necessity.

The “BlancBright” is a bit of an ambiguous one, in that it could get either a Snapdragon 835 or a lower 635. Either way, it gets 4 GB of RAM, the same IMX 400 sensor as “Yoshino”, and a 5.5-inch 2560×1440 WQHD display. Sounds almost like an Xperia X2 Performance.

From there, we start going down into mid-range territory with the “Keyaki” and the “Hinoki”. Both are powered by a MediaTek Helio P20 processor. That, however, is their only similarity. “Keyaki” gets a 5.2-inch Full HD screen, 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of storage, a 23 megapixel main camera and 16 megapixel front cam. The “Hinoki”, on the other hand, goes with a 5-inch HD screen, 3 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, 16 megapixel rear camera, and 8 megapixel front shooter.

Curiously, there is no detail for the “Mineo” aside from a probably $350 price tag. That could mean it will be one of Sony’s lower mid-range models, like an Xperia M for 2017

https://www.slashgear.com/sony-to-reveal-not-one-but-five-xperia-models-at-mwc-2017-26472977/

Vanillalite

In today's double sided WTF you doing Google news...

9to5 Google

Source: Google’s Pixel 2 to feature improved camera, CPU, higher price, but ‘budget’ Pixel also in works

It feels like the first Google Pixel was just announced, but now we’re hearing more about the next-generation ‘Pixel 2’ from a source that has been reliable in the past. I mentioned yesterday that we previously heard Google Pixel would bring ‘waterproofing,’ a feature we’re now told is “still on the table.”

We’re also now being told, however, that Google is once again focusing intensely on the camera with Pixel 2, that the device is currently being tested with improved chipsets from two different manufacturers, and that it will bring a higher price. Finally, the same source says Google has lately been testing lower-end Pixel devices which would bring lesser specs and a much lower price tag.

So Waterproofing isn't a given. The real deal Pixel getting a price hike even though the current Pixel already expensive.

Google might be exploring a cheaper option, but what does that even mean if the real deal Pixel 2 is gonna be more expensive? Cheaper than a more expensive Pixel 2 could just mean current Pixel 1 pricing?

Google Plz don't fuck this all up.

yogloo

So if I have a choice between oneplus three and p9, which one should opt for? I really value photography and the p9 seems to be really unique in that regard with the monochrome lens and fake bokeh. Everything else on the spec sheet points to oneplus three though. Is the monochrome lens and fake bokeh good enough to offset all the spec differences?

Anyone had any experience with both?

I don't play games on my phone. I only browse, chat and take pictures.

LeleSocho

Banned
So if I have a choice between oneplus three and p9, which one should opt for? I really value photography and the p9 seems to be really unique in that regard with the monochrome lens and fake bokeh. Everything else on the spec sheet points to oneplus three though. Is the monochrome lens and fake bokeh good enough to offset all the spec differences?

Kirin 950 is better than Snap820 so P9 is better there
Screen is subjective... 1+3 has a 1080p amoled that is pentile so actually the true resolution is lower while the P9 has a true 1080p lcd display, 1+3 is more color accurate though.

Between the two i would sincerely choose the P9.

Vanillalite

How much is the Honor 8 where you live? If you aren't getting the Mate 9 I'd prefer you just get the Honor 8 instead over the P9.

P9 is definitely better for photography.

Noema

P9 for sure given your desire to have the better camera.

yogloo

Kirin 950 is better than Snap820 so P9 is better there
Screen is subjective... 1+3 has a 1080p amoled that is pentile so actually the true resolution is lower while the P9 has a true 1080p lcd display, 1+3 is more color accurate though.

Between the two i would sincerely choose the P9.

Kirin is better than snap820? For real?

How much is the Honor 8 where you live? If you aren't getting the Mate 9 I'd prefer you just get the Honor 8 instead over the P9.

Honor 8 is about $30-40 cheaper here. Not much difference. Is honor 8 better than the p9?

P9 is definitely better for photography.

P9 for sure given your desire to have the better camera.

Thanks for you input!!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
S8? S8

galaxy_s8-930x775.jpg

The two models, with 5.8- and 6.2-inch QHD Super AMOLED screens which cover 83% of their front panels, were first detailed by The Guardian. Because of their unusual size, their aspect ratio — at 18.5:9 — deviates slightly from the industry-standard 16:9. As The Guardian noted, both models sport Samsung's ”edge" display, which curves downward on both sides of the handset.

While the Android Nougat-powered phones may include different systems-on-chip depending on sales region — Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 in some and Samsung Exynos in others — all will have processors made using 10-nanometer fabrication methods. Performance-wise, this is said to make them 11% faster than the Galaxy S7 overall, with 23% faster graphics processing, but still 20% more energy efficient.

That improved power consumption will be critical, because despite the vastly-increased display sizes, battery capacity is said to be a relatively conservative 3000mAh and 3500mAh for the 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch designs, respectively. And while internally the 4GB of RAM remains unchanged from the past few models, 64GB is the new baseline when it comes to internal storage (supplemented by a 256GB-capable microSD slot).

Charging is accomplished via a USB-C port, which is located on the bottom of the handsets next to — as Samsung will no doubt highlight in its presentation — an Apple-scorned 3.5-millimeter jack. Stereo speakers flank the two connectors.

Another difference between this year and last: the price. In Europe, the two Galaxy S8 models will each cost €100 more than last year's models — the 5.8-inch model will retail for €799 and the 6.2-inch model at €899. Both go on sale April 21.

tons more details at link

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/26/this-is-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-launching-march-29/

LeleSocho

Banned
Kirin is better than snap820? For real?
Yep yep, only the GPU is worse but sincerely unless you are interested in VR it's plenty powerful for everything else.
Honor8 is the cheap-o version of the P9, if you can afford it go with P9 between the two.

Woah no logo on the front? What a miracle!
Edit: wait... 100€ more? Are they fucking insane? How the heck they think to compete? Here high end Chinese alternatives have a much bigger presence than the US.
Fuck them they deserve not selling shit... 100€ more what a bunch of idiots.

Maybe it's just the picture, but finally a Samsung phone with no logo on the front?

Hope the battery life is good. The S7 non edge was meh
What affects battery life more--the size of the display or resolution? If the former, and given the reported battery sizes (3000mAh, 3500mAh) and how big those displays are, I could see battery life being somewhat average.

Toki767

Maybe it's just the picture, but finally a Samsung phone with no logo in the front?

What affects battery life more--the size of the display or resolution? If the former, and given the reported battery sizes (3000mAh, 3500mAh) and how big those displays are, I could see battery life being somewhat average.

The resolution.

Pushing pixels definitely takes more power than lighting up a screen.

Top Bottom