• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Anyone know what are some best Quick Chargers for smartphones in general (3.0 Quick Chargers)?

Best Quick Chargers for wall chargers, car chargers, etc?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Is the YouTube app stuttery as shit for anyone else?

I don't know if it's the new update that's causing this, but it's pretty much impossible to watch videos because it just stutters or freezes at a single frame every few seconds :/

I'm not experiencing any problems, but I have a Google Music/ Youtube Red subscription.

Jacir

Why does Youtube/YT Gaming continue to be such memory leakers? Its so bad. It doesn't matter if I have 100mb or 1gb of storage memory after a decent or prolonged use of these apps, I would have to restart my phone to regain all the megs that somehow dissappear. Is this an android problem? This happened on my moto g and still happening on my current galaxy S5 on the latest firmware.

Is the YouTube app stuttery as shit for anyone else?

I don't know if it's the new update that's causing this, but it's pretty much impossible to watch videos because it just stutters or freezes at a single frame every few seconds :/
It's a buffering bug, it's so hit or miss when it triggers but the app will refuse to buffer leading. Putting the app in the background with background play on forces it to audio only and will keep playing but that's a bad solution as it will fail to buffer once brought back to foreground

Seems like the quick FF and RW feature is now live in the YouTube app. Or I'm in one of the a/b tests or something. Double tap on the left side of the video to go back 10 seconds and on the right to go forward 10 seconds.

ty_hot

Last week I and my gf got a Nexus 6P and ordered a OP3T (as I said here), mostly because we couldnt deal with our shit phones, specially their cameras lately.

Today she comes to her job and gets a free Samsung galaxy A5 (2016). Even though we are happy with our purchases, we can't not think that we could have bought only one phone if we new this before hand. The A5 is a decent device, right? She does like the more saturated colors from the Samsung panels so its possible that she would want to keep it (she definitely wont want to have 2 phones at once).

Let's see how this unfolds, I can even return the OP3T, or resell the Nexus (I believe I can resell it more expensive than I got).

Last week I and my gf got a Nexus 6P and ordered a OP3T (as I said here), mostly because we couldnt deal with our shit phones, specially their cameras lately.

Today she comes to her job and gets a free Samsung galaxy A5 (2016). Even though we are happy with our purchases, we can't not think that we could have bought only one phone if we new this before hand. The A5 is a decent device, right? She does like the more saturated colors from the Samsung panels so its possible that she would want to keep it (she definitely wont want to have 2 phones at once).

Let's see how this unfolds, I can even return the OP3T, or resell the Nexus (I believe I can resell it more expensive than I got).
depends what your definition of decent is. It's 720P, only 2GB of ram (on a samsung phone), has a really low end cpu, etc... but I mean if she's not a power user at least it's free and probably serviceable.

It's nowhere near the level of the 6P and the 3T.

ana

I bought a new tablet. Lenovo yoga tab 3 plus. Thankfully the syncing bug has been fixed with the latest update.. main reason why I bought it is the battery life and decent specs.

Milchjon

Just got my OnePlus 3T, and while I guess coming from a cheapo Lumia with WP8.1 it should be a huge step up, some of the annoyances more than make up for it.

3 things in particular I noticed where I guess there should be a simple solution, but the discoverability is ass:

1.: The keyboard: Even disregarding the weirdass autocorrect and apparent inability to quickly add words to the library without having to dig deep into the settings: Do I really need a 3rd party keyboard if I type roughly equal amounts in 2 languages and want to toggle quickly?

2.: Where the fuck do I keep toast notifications from appearing over my apps when I'm in Do Not Disturb mode? The silent mode in WP kept those off my screen. Neither Do Not Disturb nor the night mode (which does nothing but turn the screen pee yellow) seem to be able to do this, and I can't find another option. I've spent 4 days and some googling on this phone and I'm still not trusting it to shut up when I tell it to. I shouldn't need a tutorial for the notification settings.

3.: I guess this is more of a fundamental design choice but damn do I miss the ability of quickly getting an overview over things with tiles. And no, widgets are not a viable replacement.

Setting this thing up is much more of a hassle than I expected it to be, even disregarding the fact that I can't update it to N without it crashing completely and needing a factory reset, which is why I still haven't done it after two misfires.

Just got my OnePlus 3T, and while I guess coming from a cheapo Lumia with WP8.1 it should be a huge step up, some of the annoyances more than make up for it.

3 things in particular I noticed where I guess there should be a simple solution, but the discoverability is ass:

1.: The keyboard: Even disregarding the weirdass autocorrect and apparent inability to quickly add words to the library without having to dig deep into the settings: Do I really need a 3rd party keyboard if I type roughly equal amounts in 2 languages and want to toggle quickly?

2.: Where the fuck do I keep toast notifications from appearing over my apps when I'm in Do Not Disturb mode? The silent mode in WP kept those off my screen. Neither Do Not Disturb nor the night mode (which does nothing but turn the screen pee yellow) seem to be able to do this, and I can't find another option. I've spent 4 days and some googling on this phone and I'm still not trusting it to shut up when I tell it to. I shouldn't need a tutorial for the notification settings.

3.: I guess this is more of a fundamental design choice but damn do I miss the ability of quickly getting an overview over things with tiles. And no, widgets are not a viable replacement.

Setting this thing up is much more of a hassle than I expected it to be, even disregarding the fact that I can't update it to N without it crashing completely and needing a factory reset, which is why I still haven't done it after two misfires.

1. SwiftKey

2. You don't

3. Nothing is important enough that always needs a glance

You bought a One Plus.

Groof

Google Keyboard can now do 2 languages at the same time, Swiftkey is also good for that.

Milchjon

1. SwiftKey

Will try. Thanks!

2. You don't

I don't need a tutorial (don't underestimate my stupidity) or I am not able to block toasts?

How am I supposed Netflix without being interrupted all the time?

3. Nothing is important enough that always needs a glance

I loved having a general idea of what I needed to do just from the mail/messenger/calendar tiles. Not only do you underestimate my stupidity, but also my lack of focus and memory.

Edit: SwiftKey seems to be pretty good. Now where do I find a non-uggo theme for it?

ty_hot

You can download themes from within the app. Check the settings.

I didn't know Google keyboard could have 2 languages at the same time. I will try it.

---

Just came to a Samsung store to try the Galaxy A5. What the fuck? Haha such a crappie system. Soooo slow. It's freezing frames everytime you want to change the screen. Even after you change to the next it gets unresponsive for a while so you press to enter an app and the system just... Do nothing. Lol

It costs near 300, unbelievable.

VoxPop

What is this? A Samsung phone without an ugly logo on the front? :p

There is zero chance there is no logo. Wasn't there a rumor about them coding it to display on the top of the screen at all times?

Love the bezels tho. Hoping Apple follows suit with the 8 Plus.

this_guy

There is zero chance there is no logo. Wasn't there a rumor about them coding it to display on the top of the screen at all times?

Love the bezels tho. Hoping Apple follows suit with the 8 Plus.

Really? That's innovation. I hope that's true just for the absurdity of it.

Joe

Is there a good Twitter app that correctly displays a user's Tweet thread?

I have Talon and it's great but it doesn't show Tweet threads at all, it just shows all replies in chronological order. The official app does displays threads but it never holds your place in the timeline after refreshing, it just snaps to the top.

Edit: never mind, opening the tweet in the web from the app is good enough.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just got the oneplus 3t after have the galaxy s5 since launch. Man this thing is cool and fast. That fast charge wasnt BS too lol, now I need to buy the car charger version to make my charging set complete.

Gonna take a bit to being use to not being in the samsung ui anymore but Ill survive lol.

yagal

Just came to a Samsung store to try the Galaxy A5. What the fuck? Haha such a crappie system. Soooo slow. It's freezing frames everytime you want to change the screen. Even after you change to the next it gets unresponsive for a while so you press to enter an app and the system just... Do nothing. Lol

It costs near 300, unbelievable.

The Galaxy A5 (2016) is 1080p, and is a solid phone check the update or something, mine is snappy, 0 freeze, very good battery life but the sound from the jack is crap

LeleSocho

Banned
It doesn't.
The naming is so similar i got them confused...

Nextbit is done, the Robin is dead and they're selling to Razer.
http://www.recode.net/2017/1/30/14445060/nextbit-sells-assets-razer

Hardware support for another 6 months, software support for 12 more months.

Another Kickstarter down the shitter.

That's too bad, Robin was a beautiful device but people really didn't really care about the "cloud storage" quirk and they were unlucky to ship a device the year that Qualcomm SoC were pure trash... i know i would recommend the Robin a lot more if they didn't have the Snap 808.

openrob

Hey, can anyone help me with this fuckwit of a problem with the Factory Reset Protection?
I have a generic cheap android phone (Landvo) that I tried to fix for my mum. Did a factory reset, now I can't log in as my mum doesn't even know what account was used on it.

Tried all the 'hacks'. I can get into the settings menu, but stuck after that
Cheers

CronoShot

Shame about Nextbit, but probably inevitable, since the Robin clearly didn't do so hot (went from $399 to ~$150 in around 9 months).

Oh well. I still have one that I bought from Amazon for super cheap. I really like the design, although performance can be sketchy at times. It's a nice backup phone, if nothing else.

ty_hot

Nextbit is done, the Robin is dead and they're selling to Razer.
http://www.recode.net/2017/1/30/14445060/nextbit-sells-assets-razer

Hardware support for another 6 months, software support for 12 more months.

Another Kickstarter down the shitter.

That's sad. I almost got one :(
Interesting design but there was no software advantage for them. At least there will be one more year of software updates for the phone, people that bought it will end up happy with it.

The Galaxy A5 (2016) is 1080p, and is a solid phone check the update or something, mine is snappy, 0 freeze, very good battery life but the sound from the jack is crap

Yes, we came home and I set it up, it's much better than the one in the store. Probably the "retail demonstration" plus the Flipboard and many homescreens were screwing it up.

The display is very very bright and vivid, we found that nice at first but tiring after few minutes. Seems like a decent package once you set it up properly. And I believe it's getting the nougat update soon, isn't it?

openrob

Hey, can anyone help me with this fuckwit of a problem with the Factory Reset Protection?
I have a generic cheap android phone (Landvo) that I tried to fix for my mum. Did a factory reset, now I can't log in as my mum doesn't even know what account was used on it.

Tried all the 'hacks'. I can get into the settings menu, but stuck after that
Cheers

I know no one commented, but I DID IT!!!

For anyone that wants to know, it involves worming your way into the settings menu, allowing apps from external sources, launching the browser from the app settings, and downloading a certain app through your browser that allows you to add an account before going through the Google verification.

Can expand by PM if anyone wants.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I mean I guess they are old in terms of release, but Android is such a cluster fuck.

A ton of less powerful 6XX and 4XX phones will get the latest version just cause they are newer devices.

It's much easier for Apple to phase out devices when shit has a linear power progression.

Plus it's not even like they just want to phase out 32 bit Android as the Nexus 9 is 64 bit.

I mean I guess they are old in terms of release, but Android is such a cluster fuck.

A ton of less powerful 6XX and 4XX phones will get the latest version just cause they are newer devices.

It's much easier for Apple to phase out devices when shit has a linear power progression.

Plus it's not even like they just want to phase out 32 bit Android as the Nexus 9 is 64 bit.

It's all Qualcomm's fault, because they don't release new drivers for newer versions of Android. Even with the Nexus 9 it's their fault.

Milchjon

How much of my settings get backed up?

Meaning, how much of a hassle will it be if my 3T hard resets once again after another failed update to Nougat?

Saiyan-Rox

This whole background installing updates on the pixel is good and all but it's slow as fuck and doesn't there doesn't seem to be a notification to tell you when it's done and to reboot.

EDIT: yeah there's a notification it's still really slow though.

Quasar

It's all Qualcomm's fault, because they don't release new drivers for newer versions of Android. Even with the Nexus 9 it's their fault.

Google should shop elsewhere then. Has to be some way to force Qualcomm to not be anti consumer. Guess another reason for Google to follow Apple on this and do their own chips.

jambo

So I was originally thinking of waiting until March/April to look at getting an LG G6 or Samsung S8 Edge, but the Huawei Mate 9 has got me really interested.

My LG G4 currently struggles to make it through a day with my usage style and I often find myself with less than 20% battery just before I leave work, which means I can't web browse or stream music on the 45 minute trip home.

The Mate 9 looks to have a fantastic battery and the main downside most people seem to mention is the camera for movies and in low light, and I mainly use to take pictures of my toddler doing dumb things, so ehh.

I also have been wanting a bigger screen for a while and a 5.9" sounds great. Don't really care that it's 1080, I never watch 4k content and don't really play any games outside of Desert Golfing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honor 8 on sale for $289 again with a free Dr Strange case from B&H

Also Allo? Aaalllllloo? Anyone there? No? Guess nobody cares?

App just dropped off the top 500 list cause nobody gives a fuck about it.

Honor 8 on sale for $289 again with a free Dr Strange case from B&H

Also Allo? Aaalllllloo? Anyone there? No? Guess nobody cares?

App just dropped off the top 500 list cause nobody gives a fuck about it.
allo....smh. What a fail. If google's plan is to build this out in stages to eventually be a much more refined hangouts, they should have just waited until it was done. They effectively killed mainstream adoption by doing it too fast. Shit doesn't sms without being weird about it.

not too late to go back to hangouts and perfect it. Too bad they're writing it off as enterprise only.

Top Bottom