• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Leaked-images-purportedly-showing-off-the-LG-G6.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G6-leaks-from-multiple-angles_id90693

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That looks fucking ugly. Like it doesn't look flagship at all.

Instead it looks like one of those random LG models you've never heard of that they only sell at Cricket or Boost mobile for like $20 as a burner phone.

Kaiken

Banned
Looks great except for that top headphone port. Fumbling my Pixel in and out of my pocket while on the bus/train is incredibly annoying.

Jeffrey

Does anybody know how to make it so an app is a tab on a home screen? I saw this at BestBuy on a demo. The tablet has multiple homescreens like mine but one of the screens is just an app(it was Flipboard, a news app) so when you swipe left, the app is there instead of another homescreen.

Think you might have been looking at a Samsung phone in which flip board is swipe to the left for their default launcher.

Laekon

quoting for new page

This is sad news =( I only use google now launcher, I hope other launchers will be as good as it is now.
Does Google Now exist on other launchers as a swipe to the right? Google Now is one of the main reasons I got and kept getting Nexus phones. Might as well as get an iPhone if they keep going this.

Saiyan-Rox

Finding myself using Hangouts for SMS again for the single reason that when you reply using the nougat quick reply it dismisses the notification which the stock SMS app doesn't...

It's a small thing but one that's annoys me to no end.

LG G6 serves no purpose. Who is gonna want to pay flagship prices for a phone that has a snapdragon 821? Flop.
I've said it before but LG is in this super weird no mans land where samsung is clearly better if you want an OEM experience, and pixel is the alternative if you want a premium stock experience. I can't imagine a scenario where someone chooses the LG phone.

I think if this phone flops like the G5 they're in serious danger.

Finding myself using Hangouts for SMS again for the single reason that when you reply using the nougat quick reply it dismisses the notification which the stock SMS app doesn't...

It's a small thing but one that's annoys me to no end.
no matter which messaging app I use, I always go back to hangouts on android phones.

Laekon

I'll stick with my Garmin Vivoactive HR. Until smart watches catch up to what that does, I see no reason to look elsewhere.
I got one of those recently and was surprised I liked the smart watch features. I was even more surprised it didn't effect the already shitty battery life of my 5X.

I've said it before but LG is in this super weird no mans land where samsung is clearly better if you want an OEM experience, and pixel is the alternative if you want a premium stock experience. I can't imagine a scenario where someone chooses the LG phone.

no matter which messaging app I use, I always go back to hangouts on android phones.

It's definitely going to flop. Noone buys a LG if they are looking at flagship phones. Most people with LG phones I know have the shitty free ones you get when you join carriers.

Quasar

I got one of those recently and was surprised I liked the smart watch features. I was even more surprised it didn't effect the already shitty battery life of my 5X.

Yeah. I had no interest in smart watches and thought watch notifications unnecessary. Hell I was a non watch person. But health reasons caused me to buy the vivoactive. Totally won me over.

Noema

Does anybody know how to make it so an app is a tab on a home screen? I saw this at BestBuy on a demo. The tablet has multiple homescreens like mine but one of the screens is just an app(it was Flipboard, a news app) so when you swipe left, the app is there instead of another homescreen.

Was it a Samsung tablet? Because Samsung's launcher has this very feature baked in, but just with Flipboard.

longdi

Banned
LG has a boot loop reputation for couple of years now. With G6 looking generic as hell, makes it an easy bomb. LG should stick with making OLED cheaper.

IMO Samsung > Google > Huawei > Sony atm. I hope Sony comes back with a bang this year, they had pretty good Xperia till Z3.

I have a Xiaomi Mi Band. It cost $26. It does everything I need a fitness band to do.

People who spend $300+ on Apple Watch are doing a great job of funding my retirement though, so keep it up people! I need Apple's stock to go up more!

Toki767

LG has a boot loop reputation for couple of years now. With G6 looking generic as hell, makes it an easy bomb. LG should stick with making OLED cheaper.

IMO Samsung > Google > Huawei > Sony atm. I hope Sony comes back with a bang this year, they had pretty good Xperia till Z3.

Hilariously no one even mentions HTC anymore.

acm2000

G6 won't be flagship priced like overpriced Samsung phones you can bet on it, but it will have a huge battery as one of it's main selling points judging by it's girth.

Nexus 6p is still the best looking phone out there IMO, love the Robocop visor, everything else is just a bland copy of each other.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6p is still the best looking phone out there IMO, love the Robocop visor, everything else is just a bland copy of each other.
Certainly better than the Pixel but doesn't beat the Nextbit Robin.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
IPhone 7 in glossy black is the sleekest piece of tech I've ever held. Gorgeous and the deep black makes the whole thing feel like one piece when the screen is off.

Edit: on Android, I'd say the Note 7 looked the best. Blackberry slider looked slick too, the one released last year I think.

Saiyan-Rox

Think I might get the GF using it also. As a hangouts noob all she needs is my email in my contact information and the same for me right?

FoxSpirit

Okay, okay, I need help. Seriously.

So, my sis has an older Samsung phone. And she wants to migrate to a newer LG phone. But as it seems the /%&)(/!!! google account is tied all to your data on the phone? So, you remove the account, all your SMS and contacts get deleted? You can't just setup a new account for backing up with google because what?? I don't get it.She has forgotten the old account password because she doesn't really use apps. Mostly only stock. We only made an account to install Opera. But now when I delete it it goes nuclear it takes all your contacts and SMS with it?

So apparently we can't migrate via google drive so how to migrate from an old Samsung to a new LG offline without getting scammed.

Think I might get the GF using it also. As a hangouts noob all she needs is my email in my contact information and the same for me right?
yeah pretty much, though if you want to sms she will need the actual number too but yeah. Hangouts is one of the simpler ones.

So, my sis has an older Samsung phone. And she wants to migrate to a newer LG phone. But as it seems the /%&)(/!!! google account is tied all to your data on the phone? So, you remove the account, all your SMS and contacts get deleted? You can't just setup a new account for backing up with google because what?? I don't get it.She has forgotten the old account password because she doesn't really use apps. Mostly only stock. We only made an account to install Opera. But now when I delete it it goes nuclear it takes all your contacts and SMS with it?

So apparently we can't migrate via google drive so how to migrate from an old Samsung to a new LG offline without getting scammed.
well SMS you can save. Just download the app SMS backup and Restore and use that. It's a good one.

FoxSpirit

yeah pretty much, though if you want to sms she will need the actual number too but yeah. Hangouts is one of the simpler ones.

well SMS you can save. Just download the app SMS backup and Restore and use that. It's a good one.
Thanks. Also did a manual import/export of contacts first, now installing.

FoxSpirit

My sis is seriously bummed about the look of the new Android... all white and colours instead of the more muted black from before. Any way to reskin that?

Can't she just do an account recovery on the old device to change the password?

I'm really enjoying my 7+, another week or so if I decide to jump for good. There are some things I miss, but much less than I thought I would. The out of app experience isn't as good, but I think the in app experience is better. Plus the hardware to me feels better.

I'm thinking about selling my 6P, 7 and Moto 360 1st gen as a bundle.

ty_hot

Does Google Now exist on other launchers as a swipe to the right? Google Now is one of the main reasons I got and kept getting Nexus phones. Might as well as get an iPhone if they keep going this.

I like the Google Now dedicated page in the GN launcher. :/

All browsers can now have the dediated Google Now page, they just need to implement, Google released it for everybody. A few days/weeks and the most popular launchers should get an updated version with it.

Laekon

All browsers can now have the dediated Google Now page, they just need to implement, Google released it for everybody. A few days/weeks and the most popular launchers should get an updated version with it.

Did you mean launchers?

This article is saying Nougat reduces the battery life of the S7 phones. This seems kind of odd but it did happen on my Nexus 5X for a few weeks before going back to normal.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge_android_7_nougat-review-1564.php

ArchAngel

Just OEM Launcher, NOT others like Nova etc.!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The disappearance of Google Launcher is yet more evidence Google is continuing to close off Android.

Unplugged iPhone SE at 10 am. Used it for about an hour today total, max. Mostly just left it on my living room table. Go to bed at 10 pm and it's at 80% battery. Outstanding.

I used my 6P yesterday for a bit. It feels better than my iPhone 7+. The 7+ feels so slippery and unwieldy. I plain do not like holding it. The 6P has a nice, solid heft with a secure feel the 7+ doesn't have. Obviously, the 7+ is way way better built, though.

Do you use a Jet Black iPhone AJ?

Can't speak for him but the Matte is slippy too. I quite liked the 6P edges, gave a pretty good grip point, particularly with a skin. I hope the 8/Pixel 2 go for more of a 6P/iPhone 4 edge treatment. Rounded edges are comfy, but dangerous.

Top Bottom