• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Laekon

So it seems the Huawei P10 is going to be a 5.5" phone. I'm disappointed as I think this means the Honor 9 will then be the same.

reKon

Banned
Did you mean launchers?

This article is saying Nougat reduces the battery life of the S7 phones. This seems kind of odd but it did happen on my Nexus 5X for a few weeks before going back to normal.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge_android_7_nougat-review-1564.php

I think I've noticed a slight dip when not using any power saving mode. I've started playing around with power saving modes now because of how customizable they are and they are to setup. I think that it does wonders and I can definitely tell that it works quickly. Shows how forward thinking Sony and Huawei were when it came to this. One reason is because I kept losing GPS connection within 30 seconds of the screen being off when I was using Google navigation. Turns out it was because of the MID power saving setting where I set it to turn off mobile data, which I guess affected Google navigation.

Laekon

The curved screen obviously. Samsung did the same with the GS6.

I'm saying they are 2 different phones with the exact same spec. The Mate 9 Pro has a 5.5" curved screen and the P10 Plus is rumored to have a 5.5" curved screen. They both have a flat screen version but with different size screens like Samsung did with the S7 phones.

The disappearance of Google Launcher is yet more evidence Google is continuing to close off Android.

The worst thing Google has done with Android is implement SafetyNet to crush root users. If that shit spreads I might actually consider quitting Android, because Google refuses to add extension support to Chrome and I don't plan to ever let them shove ads down my throat on mobile.

I'm saying they are 2 different phones with the exact same spec. The Mate 9 Pro has a 5.5" curved screen and the P10 Plus is rumored to have a 5.5" curved screen. They both have a flat screen version but with different size screens like Samsung did with the S7 phones.

Oh yea I dunno. P10 Plus will be more accessible?

Gonna order a Oneplus 3T. since Google is going to discontinue the Google now launcher should I be worried? I'm tired of iPhone officially. I haven't seen any real innovation in the last two models and Siri has become daft.

In fact I waste more time trying to get it to work than using it before I switch to Google anyway.

Groof

Play Music just booted me to the free tier even though all my payments have gone through. What's up with that?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gonna order a Oneplus 3T. since Google is going to discontinue the Google now launcher should I be worried? I'm tired of iPhone officially. I haven't seen any real innovation in the last two models and Siri has become daft.

In fact I waste more time trying to get it to work than using it before I switch to Google anyway.
Siri is just as good as Google in my experience. It is actually better because of the way it displays content. Google is better at context, though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Twitter Beef'n

screenshot_2017-02-050zydk.png

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I need to get rid of this shit LG G5 I have that has reception issues and screen burn problems... just fucking sick of it.

ZTE Axon 7 or OnePlus 3t

..or something else? I don't want to spend more than $500. I'm on AT&T in Portland.

Lunar FC

Having some issues with my fingerprint scanner on my Pixel. Has been less and less relaible recently so I tried to reset my scans as I read that helped others who werr experiancing similair issues. But as I try to register a new finger it's only sensing the first touch and nothing else after.

Probably busted?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's less slippery but that's not a phone you use naked anyway. Too many smudges and scratches easily.
No point of buying it if you won't use naked. I'd buy it and put it in my pocket with car keys IDGAF

Paganmoon

So I'm just about to drop Windows Mobile, and was looking to get an Android Flagship, and figured, hell why not the one that Google themselves are making, but holy fucking shit the pixel is expensive (~10'000 sek in Sweden).

So, what would be the "next best thing"? S7 (edge), or wait for S8? LG? Sony? There are so many different "flavours" of both hardware and software, I'm totally lost.

I wanted to get away from most bugs, and the app gap (Both in actual apps, and features within apps that are available), but I'm getting overwhelmed with too much choice instead.

HALP.

So I'm just about to drop Windows Mobile, and was looking to get an Android Flagship, and figured, hell why not the one that Google themselves are making, but holy fucking shit the pixel is expensive (~10'000 sek in Sweden).

So, what would be the "next best thing"? S7 (edge), or wait for S8? LG? Sony? There are so many different "flavours" of both hardware and software, I'm totally lost.

I wanted to get away from most bugs, and the app gap (Both in actual apps, and features within apps that are available), but I'm getting overwhelmed with too much choice instead.

HALP.

About time that you leave the already sunken ship. Anyone who's still using Windows Phone/Mobile is actively hindering themselves and making their everyday life harder than it needs to be.

The S7 is average to good. You can't really go wrong with it. It got wireless charging and an always-on display as well, if that's interesting to you. Battery life is okay, but not great. Software updates are slow to roll out, but Samsung provides timely security updates, which is just as important. The S8 will most likely be better on all accounts (except for the curved display edges, which is a matter of preference), but it's also going to launch at a higher price. The S7 can be had for under €500 these days.

LG and Sony should be ignored at this point. LG struck gold with the G2, but they haven't been able to replicate the success yet. There's always been something weird or wrong with their flagships since then. They're currently mostly known for their bootloop hardware issues.

Sony is always too expensive for what they offer.

If you just want a good performing phone, you should look into phones from OnePlus or Huawei. They're Chinese manufacturers and offer (close to) high end specs at a lower price (around €400, I think). The SoC and amount of RAM in those phones is usually on par with the high end offerings from Samsung and others, but their displays and/or cameras are not as good. It's always a trade-off anyway, so you have to decide what's more important to you. It should be noted that the customer support isn't always great either, but Samsung might be shit, too, so who knows. I can't say anything about the software support on these phones either, but OnePlus should have a good custom rom community.

Paganmoon

About time that you leave the already sunken ship. Anyone who's still using Windows Phone/Mobile is actively hindering themselves and making their everyday life harder than it needs to be.

The S7 is average to good. You can't really go wrong with it. It got wireless charging and an always-on display as well, if that's interesting to you. Battery life is okay, but not great. Software updates are slow to roll out, but Samsung provides timely security updates, which is just as important. The S8 will most likely be better on all accounts (except for the curved display edges, which is a matter of preference), but it's also going to launch at a higher price. The S7 can be had for under €500 these days.

LG and Sony should be ignored at this point. LG struck gold with the G2, but they haven't been able to replicate the success yet. There's always been something weird or wrong with their flagships since then. They're currently mostly known for their bootloop hardware issues.

Sony is always too expensive for what they offer.

If you just want a good performing phone, you should look into phones from OnePlus or Huawei. They're Chinese manufacturers and offer (close to) high end specs at a lower price (around €400, I think). The SoC and amount of RAM in those phones is usually on par with the high end offerings from Samsung and others, but their displays and/or cameras are not as good. It's always a trade-off anyway, so you have to decide what's more important to you. It should be noted that the customer support isn't always great either, but Samsung might be shit, too, so who knows. I can't say anything about the software support on these phones either, but OnePlus should have a good custom rom community.

Ok, so no Sony or LG, will look into OnePlus and Huawei. A few things I want to keep (of what I can keep, damnit I'm going to miss Metro), are:
* Glance (Always on Screen)
* Double Tap to wake
* A good camera (compareable to Lumia 950),
* Living images while not a must, has been a pretty fun addition I'd still like to keep.
* USB Type C is a big plus as well.

guessing there's no real comparision to continuum either, although I don't use it much, it was a good option for checking pictures and Netflix on a TV while on vacation. Does Chromecast offer the same basic features, and can I use the same adapter (Microsoft dongle, and / or built in adapters in TV's)

clav

HALP.

MWC is this month.

Moto Gs are due for a refresh next month.

Bboy AJ

So you have to activate the watch before tapping it on a terminal to pay? Isn't Apple Watch just straight up tap your watch and it's done? Wonder why Android Pay needs the activation.

Shame only the Sport has the ability to pay via NFC. It's a huge thing imo. Hopefully my Sony Smartwatch 3 gets the ability to tap to pay. It has NFC and I've not used it once for years.

Top Bottom