• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Expecting new Huawei watch soon as well.

Wonder how the LG sport compares to the gear s3?

Also Giant.

well, the Gear S3 makes the Huawei look small, but not tiny.

N9r49lC.jpg

ceGXBxv.jpg

Laekon

Love these companies always trying to be the first instead of the best. Ars has a good picture for size reference and talks about it not lasting a day if LTE and GPS is used. That is a 2nd gen Moto360 on the bottom.

no, the Frontier and Classic are the same size, just different designs.
ah that sucks.

I'd actually love it if a truly great android wear watch came out now that it supports iOS as well. The only reason I don't own an apple watch is because it only works with iphones and I go back and forth too much. I just find not a single one of them to be good looking or not bulky or not gimped in some way.

I put in some money to get my sister the Huawei watch last Christmas and she loves it. Looks slick as hell.
The huawei watch is definitely the best looking, if only it were less bulky. Their next one should be interesting but it worries me that the rumour said they will be sportier. To me that's another word for uglier for some reason. Though I also dislike smartwatches that try too hard to look like elegant timepieces. I still think apple hit the best note of style/function.

GTI Guy

Holy shit that sport watch is HUGE. I was gonna get one of those but not anymore! Jeesh!

What's the best android watch that will support android wear 2.0 that isn't a boulder on a wrist?

These apparently will update to 2.0.

ASUS ZenWatch 2
ASUS ZenWatch 3
Casio Smart Outdoor Watch
Casio PRO TREK Smart
Fossil Q Founder
Fossil Q Marshal
Fossil Q Wander
Huawei Watch
LG G Watch R
LG Watch Urbane
LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE
Michael Kors Access Smartwatches (Dylan and Bradshaw)
Moto 360 2nd Gen
Moto 360 for Women
Moto 360 Sport
New Balance RunIQ
Nixon Mission
Polar M600
Tag Heuer Connected

RoKKeR

Man that new LG watch is hideous, lol.

I'm still unconvinced on wearables. I quite enjoy my Gear Fit S2 for what it is - fitness companion, notification hub, sleep tracker/alarm clock - but outside of this functionality I'm not digging through menus or doing serious tasks on it. (I also think it's one of the better looking wearables...Curved screen is sweet)

So far Android Wear 2 has done nothing to convince me I need more than that.

I think android wear 2 did a good job in simplifying the OS and making it a standalone line of products with its own apps now but I think the hardware is the less appealing part of the equation.

ah that sucks.

I'd actually love it if a truly great android wear watch came out now that it supports iOS as well. The only reason I don't own an apple watch is because it only works with iphones and I go back and forth too much. I just find not a single one of them to be good looking or not bulky or not gimped in some way.

The huawei watch is definitely the best looking, if only it were less bulky. Their next one should be interesting but it worries me that the rumour said they will be sportier. To me that's another word for uglier for some reason. Though I also dislike smartwatches that try too hard to look like elegant timepieces. I still think apple hit the best note of style/function.
the Huawei Watch really isn't that bulky, it's about the size of the typical 'bulky' fashion watch that's been in style for decades. it looks fine even on very slim women's wrists.

i am really thinking about getting a Gear S3 (1) because the Gear Fit 2 is so awesome and (2) because of Samsung Pay

it would also mean just wearing the S3 solo instead of the Fit 2 on one wrist and Huawei Watch on the other...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Huawei watch is stunning irl and looks better than Apple watch, no doubt about it. It actually looks like a timepiece and its not as bulky as some of the pictures make it look. I have small wrists and it looks great.

the Huawei Watch really isn't that bulky, it's about the size of the typical 'bulky' fashion watch that's been in style for decades. it looks fine even on very slim women's wrists.

i am really thinking about getting a Gear S3 (1) because the Gear Fit 2 is so awesome and (2) because of Samsung Pay

it would also mean just wearing the S3 solo instead of the Fit 2 on one wrist and Huawei Watch on the other...
I don't know if bulky is the right word because it's only 11.3 mm thick and my current normal swiss watch is 11mm thick, but there's something about the design, the fact that it doesn't look layered from the side that makes it seem bulkier.

Huawei watch is stunning irl and looks better than Apple watch, no doubt about it. It actually looks like a timepiece and its not as bulky as some of the pictures make it look. I have small wrists and it looks great.
that's what I kind of dislike though, that it tries too hard to look like a normal watch. I just find it odd. I don't know.

It's easily the nicest android wear watch so I'm interested in the 2 for sure. Been wanting to replace my watch forever but none of the smartwatches do it for me.

Jeffrey

Seems like performance and battery life are the main cons for new LG.

I don't get how gear s3 can get 2+ days while this new LG watch needs a charge after a workout.

Seems like performance and battery life are the main cons for new LG.

I don't get how gear s3 can get 2+ days while this new LG watch needs a charge after a workout.
it's 2017 and people are still wondering why Google doesn't have good battery life like Samsung?

it's because they don't give a shit about consumer products while Samsung has to actually make money selling the things to real people.

Jeffrey

it's 2017 and people are still wondering why Google doesn't have good battery life like Samsung?

it's because they don't give a shit about consumer products while Samsung has to actually make money selling the things to real people.

Could also be Qualcomm chips are shit. Also maybe tizen is actually good?

Hmmm. Might just order a gear s3. I wonder if there is any real limitations using it on a normal android phone vs Galaxy

citation needed
Most good estimates like https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/me...nd-takes-nearly-80-total-smartwatch-revenue-q

and this

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2017/1/30/apple-1q17-expectations

along with tims comments seem to line up. Obv it was a holiday quarter so slash some mils but still pretty good and he said best quarter ever and there have been hints that it has sold millions in previous quarters before they bundled it with beats and AirPod sales.

Smart watches can sell if they are good. Or it's just another iPad vs rest of the market similarity.

I actually like the gear s2 hardware but not crazy about the software. It's not bad but not my thing.

Mindwipe

The Huawei watch is still too big because of the tapered back in person. But it's not actively offensive and dog ugly, so it's way ahead of these new ones.

Samsung went backwards in watch design this year too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol Apple Watch selling millions a quarter. Just because the rest are bombing doesn't mean they have to be bad 😞

citation needed

Yeah quarterlies try and tell at least Apple Watch is selling, but I don't see anyone caring about that shit either. LoL

I mean a new one was just announced. We will get back to talking about phone bullshit when mobile world Congress starts.

Can we talk about tablets now too then? That space is as dead as the watch space.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;229990675 said:

You must be new around here. LoL

We could go back to talking about iOS.

That'll happen again like always. Android GAF has a hard-on for iOS. It's their bedroom secret.

Nikodemos

New shots of the Xperia XA2 show pretty much what we saw before

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa2_spy_shots_show_off_its_square_design-news-23281.php

Not too bad for a mid range device. Still waiting for anything about the new flagship.
I'm not a fan of mid-end MediaTek SoCs because of their tradition of gimping GPUs and using bad memory controllers. The Helio P20 has a dual-core Mali T880 and a 16-bit DDR4 controller (though at least it's a dual-channel one, unlike the previous P10). The X10 used in the Xperia M5 had a similarly low-performance dual-core PowerVR 6. The only thing the P20 has over the competing SD652 is lower power consumption, otherwise it's inferior in every performance marker.

LeleSocho

Banned
New shots of the Xperia XA2 show pretty much what we saw before

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa2_spy_shots_show_off_its_square_design-news-23281.php

Not too bad for a mid range device. Still waiting for anything about the new flagship.

Mediatek P20? Pass.
Why don't they just put a Snap625? I would have bought it for my father if it was so.

Edit: and before everyone mention it... yes i know that they have the same cpu and gpu cores but Qualcomm stuff is way more supported than MediaTek that's why it's a dealbreaker.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Low end phones have to be super cheap for me to perk up with what you can find on sale now that has better internals.

Mindwipe

Mediatek P20? Pass.
Why don't they just put a Snap625? I would have bought it for my father if it was so.

Edit: and before everyone mention it... yes i know that they have the same cpu and gpu cores but Qualcomm stuff is way more supported than MediaTek that's why it's a dealbreaker.

Meh, the previous XA (with a MediaTek chip) will get exactly the same level of support as the flagship Z3 did with a Qualcomm chip.

I don't think that's really true any more. MediaTek are getting slightly better, Sony are a good OEM for updates and Qualcomm are shitting the bed more and more.

I really like the XA I got to last me until the S8. I wish it had a gyroscope, but that's about it.

JCX

My Nexus 5X suddenly won't turn on. It was working, put it in my pocket, and an hour later it won't fully boot. Sometimes it'll load the google logo, but it always turns off. Any ideas?

Top Bottom