• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

If they do, it would probably be because they're scared Whatsapp will eat their lunch in the US (their last stronghold since basically no one outside the US uses iMessage) so they figure they have to go multiplatform or face irrelevancy.

sounds ridiculous.

why would they do that when they can continue to make consumers believe that they are missing conversations after switching because iOS just works.

that's just another part of the lock-in.

Supposedly it would be coming to Android because Apple is going to use iMessage as the backbone of the peer to peer payment service they are going to launch. More potential users would be more potential revenue from fees they could charge.

Guys, just got some extra money, and I have been without a cellphone for about a week. So, I can grab these phones now:

ZTE Axon Mini 32gb. Xiaomi REDMI Note 3 Pro 32gb, Xperia Z3, Lenovo ZUK 1 (from what I've seen, this phone is really good), LG G4 and LG Nexus 5X.

NomarTyme

why no htc nexus

Its there, but I don't if I want to wait till Nov to get the phone. My contracts ends this month.

Guys, just got some extra money, and I have been without a cellphone for about a week. So, I can grab these phones now:

ZTE Axon Mini 32gb. Xiaomi REDMI Note 3 Pro 32gb, Xperia Z3, Lenovo ZUK 1 (from what I've seen, this phone is really good), LG G4 and LG Nexus 5X.

I would go with Xiami phones, it has awesome battery life.

It was so dumb of them to remove it and I hope it comes back. Made browsing chrome on a larger screened device easier instead of having to reach my thumb up to the top of the screen to switch tabs. I get that some people didn't like it, but flat out removing it instead of just making it optional is dumb.

Sky Chief

It was so dumb of them to remove it and I hope it comes back. Made browsing chrome on a larger screened device easier instead of having to reach my thumb up to the top of the screen to switch tabs. I get that some people didn't like it, but flat out removing it instead of just making it optional is dumb.

It used to be optional though, if people didn't like it they didn't have to use it. Fuck, I am so angry right now!

Toki767

Supposedly it would be coming to Android because Apple is going to use iMessage as the backbone of the peer to peer payment service they are going to launch. More potential users would be more potential revenue from fees they could charge.
Aren't they going to use Apple Pay though?

Wait I get to pay extra to send friends money when I can do it with Google wallet for free? Lol

Sky Chief

What in the fucking fuck!?!?! Why can't I merge tabs with apps anymore!?!? Fuck you Google!!!!!!!!!!!

It used to be optional though, if people didn't like it they didn't have to use it. Fuck, I am so angry right now!

I gave Chrome a 1 star review on the Store, how else / where else can we complain to get this bullshit fixed? This was hands down the best Android feature, now I may as well just get a fucking iPhone and use Chrome on that.

Quasar

I gave Chrome a 1 star review on the Store, how else / where else can we complain to get this bullshit fixed? This was hands down the best Android feature, now I may as well just get a fucking iPhone and use Chrome on that.

Its funny, all I ever saw was people complaining about how it worked. Then google changed it back and now there's a different set of people complaining.

Sky Chief

Its funny, all I ever saw was people complaining about how it worked. Then google changed it back and now there's a different set of people complaining.

Yeah but before those dumbasses who were complaining had an option to turn it off. They could have just changed the default setting if people were too fucking stupid to do it themselves. This is why we can't have nice things, because of stupid fucking lazy people.

Soodanim

What's going on with the tablet market? My requirement list:

~10", 1080p minimum
32gb + SD card
Not missing basic things like light sensors
Not a shitty no-name brand that I could never get support from
Not super high end expensive

The closest I can find is a Lenovo tablet, but I think that's the one I saw that is missing a light sensor. It's either that, Samsung (but I hate their cartoony looking AI when stock Android is so clean in comparison) or go to the other side and get an iPad. I tried to look up the Sony tablet but that seems to have been discontinued.

My Nexus 7 still works fine for the most part (screen rotation sensors give up and it needs a restart to fix) but I want something bigger for all this browsing, and I want a better comic reader screen.

Yeah but before those dumbasses who were complaining had an option to turn it off. They could have just changed the default setting if people were too fucking stupid to do it themselves. This is why we can't have nice things, because of stupid fucking lazy people.

Stuff like this is exactly why I think Google is turning into the new Microsoft.

"Hey, some users didn't like that one features"
"Take it out! Take it all out! Nuke it from the orbit and remove it from existence!"
"How about making it optio-"
"Nuke it, I said!"

Next thing you know they're opening an user voice page, so users can vote for popular features.

Mindwipe

If they do, it would probably be because they're scared Whatsapp will eat their lunch in the US (their last stronghold since basically no one outside the US uses iMessage) so they figure they have to go multiplatform or face irrelevancy.

Yup, also strangling Allo at birth would probably be seen as a win.

Which it would.

Finally got Google to agree to refund me for the Pixel C, was already on a replacement and again was getting the "waiting fastboot command" error, don't really want to be dealing with that every few days and they were adamant they could only offer another replacement. After pointing out that if a replacement fails due to same issues then i'm entitled by law for a refund they could suddenly escalate my issue and process the refund as a favour to me.

Ideas for 9-10" tablets, considering the Samsung S2 9.7?

Hasney

Finally got Google to agree to refund me for the Pixel C, was already on a replacement and again was getting the "waiting fastboot command" error, don't really want to be dealing with that every few days and they were adamant they could only offer another replacement. After pointing out that if a replacement fails due to same issues then i'm entitled by law for a refund they could suddenly escalate my issue and process the refund as a favour to me.

Ideas for 9-10" tablets, considering the Samsung S2 9.7?

Even a Nexus 9 would be better than that Samsung.

Honestly, the whole market feels like if you're not getting a Pixel C, get a Surface or an iPad, especially on the bigger tablets. If 8" is doable, hopefully the next NVidia Shield is good.

Hasney

I mean, for the last year I had my iPhone 4S I had iMessage turned off with all the problems I had. I doubt I'd use it, certainly not as an early adopter.

Quasar

I mean, for the last year I had my iPhone 4S I had iMessage turned off with all the problems I had. I doubt I'd use it, certainly not as an early adopter.

I've not used it because of its single platform-ness, but I'd really only heard issues related to lost messages with switchers and stories about the whole green versus blue bubbles thing.

Aren't they going to use Apple Pay though?

Wait I get to pay extra to send friends money when I can do it with Google wallet for free? Lol

They are going to use Apple Pay it sounds like, but people who supposedly have sources in Apple say that it will somehow work on the Android version of iMessage and that is the motivation for an Android version of iMessage.

Also I wouldn't assume that it's fees charged to the end user, more likely it's the same type of cut they take from banks and credit card companies like when someone pays with Apple Pay. It's sounds like it's just a numbers game for Apple. Launch iMessage on Android with the intention of having peer to peer payments in it and they've expanded the possible user base for their payment system by potentially hundreds of millions of people which then increases their potential revenue. I feel like that is just following the trend of Apple Music on Android. Apple keeps the things exclusive to iOS that aren't revenue producing like the Photos app and they develop Android versions of the apps that they know they'll make money with.

They are going to use Apple Pay it sounds like, but people who supposedly have sources in Apple say that it will somehow work on the Android version of iMessage and that is the motivation for an Android version of iMessage.

Also I wouldn't assume that it's fees charged to the end user, more likely it's the same type of cut they take from banks and credit card companies like when someone pays with Apple Pay. It's sounds like it's just a numbers game for Apple. Launch iMessage on Android with the intention of having peer to peer payments in it and they've expanded the possible user base for their payment system by potentially hundreds of millions of people which then increases their potential revenue. I feel like that is just following the trend of Apple Music on Android. Apple keeps the things exclusive to iOS that aren't revenue producing like the Photos app and they develop Android versions of the apps that they know they'll make money with.

Yeah but if I do peer to peer payments the users will pay. There's no retailer to offset the credit card transaction cost to. ACH is the way to go for this kind of stuff. Not credit cards.

The flamingo Twitter app went down in price here os I went for it.

It's pretty damn good and there's a Nexus scolou pallet lol

I downloaded this app and started using it a few days ago. It's ok. My only gripe is I don't see any option for it to refresh in the background.

im_dany

Small bump. I came to three possible choices:
- LG G3 for 230€
- LG Nexus 5X for 250€
- LG G4 for 300€

I'd go for the Nexus but the 2GB RAM scares me. The G4 also has an higher resolution, microSD compatibility and looks more premium, but it doesn't run stock Android and if I "modded" it that would void my warranty. Can I stay safe buying a Nexus 5X without hating it before 2-3 years?

Moving from a 128GB Galaxy S6 to a Galaxy S7 Edge with a 200GB sd card. Should I leave it as is or convert the sd card to adoptable storage?

NeOak

I second the Life One X. Great device.

If they don't mind a Phablet style device you can get a ZTE Zmax 2 for $70. Pretty great phone for the price and it is definitely better than a MotoE since it has 2GB RAM and a 720p screen.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-go...lack/4421800.p?id=1219745390060&skuId=4421800

How about the *gasp* Samsung GoPhones AT&T has? They have 6.0.

So my Alcatel Idol 3 got Marshmallow a couple nights ago OTA. Really awesome surprise, I was expecting a bug fix Lollipop.

6.0 fixed my phones bugs, so Im super happy. Performance seems a tiny bit slower but the phone is still decently zippy, You can see slowdown when you lock and turn the screen back on fast.

Alcatel's new ROM is pretty great. Cleaner, I can't seem to find Doze though.

Quixzlizx

I like my Blue Life One X, but it's kind of annoying it hasn't gotten MM. I knew their Q1 estimate was probably BS, so I didn't get my hopes too high. Great phone for the price otherwise.

Noema

So my Alcatel Idol 3 got Marshmallow a couple nights ago OTA. Really awesome surprise, I was expecting a bug fix Lollipop.

6.0 fixed my phones bugs, so Im super happy. Performance seems a tiny bit slower but the phone is still decently zippy, You can see slowdown when you lock and turn the screen back on fast.

Alcatel's new ROM is pretty great. Cleaner, I can't seem to find Doze though.

Doze isn't a setting. It activates automatically after it detects that the phone has been stationary for about 30 minutes.

Not every phone can get Doze even if it's running Marshmallow, since it requires certain sensors to detect if the phone is lying flat, like a gyroscope. I don't know if the Idol 3 has a gyroscope but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't since a lot of mid range phones don't.

EDIT: Apparently it does not. So Doze won't work.

There are ways of tweaking the settings values that are needed for Doze to activate so that it kicks off as soon as you turn off the screen or regardless of what the sensors detect, but you need root for that.

What's going on with the tablet market? My requirement list:

~10", 1080p minimum
32gb + SD card
Not missing basic things like light sensors
Not a shitty no-name brand that I could never get support from
Not super high end expensive

The closest I can find is a Lenovo tablet, but I think that's the one I saw that is missing a light sensor. It's either that, Samsung (but I hate their cartoony looking AI when stock Android is so clean in comparison) or go to the other side and get an iPad. I tried to look up the Sony tablet but that seems to have been discontinued.

My Nexus 7 still works fine for the most part (screen rotation sensors give up and it needs a restart to fix) but I want something bigger for all this browsing, and I want a better comic reader screen.

wait till the fall

Sou Da

- LG G3 for 230€
- LG Nexus 5X for 250€
- LG G4 for 300€

I'd go for the Nexus but the 2GB RAM scares me. The G4 also has an higher resolution, microSD compatibility and looks more premium, but it doesn't run stock Android and if I "modded" it that would void my warranty. Can I stay safe buying a Nexus 5X without hating it before 2-3 years?

I'm interested in this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
- LG G3 for 230€
- LG Nexus 5X for 250€
- LG G4 for 300€

2GB of RAM is fine with 1080p screens. Your not pushing near the pixels of 2k screens.

I'd go 5X personally. G3 is too old. G4 more expensive and you have to deal with the 810. So just save the $50.

Toki767

Flamingo Twitter app is really slick. Even though it's in beta I'll probably replace Fenix with it.

If only they used a different notification icon. Or there were a way to change it to something nicer looking.

Top Bottom