• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I picked up a Chromecast ultra in hopes of getting better quality than my TV's built in android apps. Why can't I get this thing to use HDR? It's infuriating

What TV?

Honestly most newer TVs all have great built in apps. No reason to use anything else on a Vizio, Samsung, Sony, LG ect...

Dobsie

Yo, Nexus 6P people who have their phone shut off at like 20-30%. I'm currently posting this at 5%, so I'm just wondering if you guys got your phone at launch or not since I got mine about 4 months after the fact, so wondering if I should just look out for it as my battery ages.
My first one had a newer build date than the rma'd one I've got now. Google are great with rma's (at least in the UK) so just send it in if the battery goes to shit.

Vanillalite

Gosh damn companies want you to buy a phone now vs waiting. Best Buy still has the $200 gift card with the purchase of S7/E.

Now Target giving $300 if you buy an iPhone 7/+. Fuck.

I got it to work. It's a Sony 55X850D. Also yeah, no better result than I had before minus youtube HDR working. I'll probably take it back.

Yeah Chromecast use cast has become less and less.

It's basically for shady apps you want to localcast to your TV and Play Movies if your TV doesn't have an app.

Wish I didn't do this crappy iPhone 6 > iPhone 7 upgrade through AT&T. There have been a lot of iPhone 7 deals and I'd rather have gotten one of those instead of having to sit in what is essentially a two year contract.

Vanillalite

Wish I didn't do this crappy iPhone 6 > iPhone 7 upgrade through AT&T. There have been a lot of iPhone 7 deals and I'd rather have gotten one of those instead of having to sit in what is essentially a two year contract.

As crazy as this sounds you almost might make out better somehow paying off your iPhone 7. Selling it on the 2nd hand market. Then buying another one and pocketing the gift card.

It's a few hoops to jump through tho.

IronRaven

Gosh damn companies want you to buy a phone now vs waiting. Best Buy still has the $200 gift card with the purchase of S7/E.

With the announcement of the S8/S8+ coming very soon, it doesn't surprise me that retailers want to get rid of as much stock of the S7/E as possible.

As for the iPhone 7, that's a little bit more surprising considering that Apple doesn't exactly seem ready to announce the next iPhone just yet.

reKon

Banned

It's basically for shady apps you want to localcast to your TV and Play Movies if your TV doesn't have an app.

My set up of my gaming/HTPC + 55 inch Plasma + K830 Logitech keyboard has been brilliant so far. Streamers like chromecast/fire stick have been worthless to me because of this setup. It's just so convenient for me to just pick up the keyboard and just start using it on a big screen. I was supposed to be using my Galaxy Tab Pro S for casual browsing because using a Plasma as a monitor can be bad due to constant image retention (luckily I won't have a work around this anymore with my 65 inch KS8000 coming in!). I barely use the tablet except when I'm traveling for work or visiting somewhere...

I'm slowly realizing that an high-end Android tablet is really the perfect device for what I need, but it's so fucking niche, lol. The 2 in 1 chromebook would have been my perfect device, but my issues with is there's no PS4 Remote Play app for it. I don't think you can sideload apps on these either...

Husker86

What TV?

Honestly most newer TVs all have great built in apps. No reason to use anything else on a Vizio, Samsung, Sony, LG ect...
I'd be very surprised if any TV app is as easy to browse as browsing on my phone. Though the most recent I've used is a 2015 or maybe early 2016 Sony 4K.

Asgaro

What are y'all's current homescreen?
3XO50JN.jpg

A lot of Icon packs going free these days so I've been playing around with them all. Liking these.

Jeffrey

That's what I'm saying! LoL

Still though. Not sure what the 7 plus brings over the 6s for me lol.

I like headphone jack still and I don't drop my phone in water.

Think I can wait 5 months.

Anyways enough about ios.

Samsung week begins. Hopefully xda writes an article about performance.

IronRaven

Samsung week begins. Hopefully xda writes an article about performance.

I think it's going to conclude what most of us already know: the Exynos is faster than the Snapdragon. In everyday use however, most people won't tell the difference, etc.

The results surprise no one.

I sound very cynical.

demented

New oneplus is expected in summer? The current flagship prices for me are insane, s8 will be like 1000 here until it drops a bit in summer sigh. I use the cheapest package because I don't talk much and just use internet so I can't get better price that way lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
iPhone 7 makes no sense. Wait for the 8 if you want to switch. Not only is 7 an incremental update, headphone jack loss sucks and you only "get used to it" because you don't have a choice, not because you wake up magically thinking it's better one day.

Also it shipped with flaws like the lens flare issue similar to the pixel and mine basically went bad yesterday and I had to do a restore through iTunes. You know how wack that is? Have any of you used iTunes on PC lately? Straight trash.

New oneplus is expected in summer? The current flagship prices for me are insane, s8 will be like 1000 here until it drops a bit in summer sigh. I use the cheapest package because I don't talk much and just use internet so I can't get better price that way lol

Probably. I'd guess it will release in June-August. That is their traditional time frame. It might be later depending on snapdragon 835 availability. Look for another price increase as they continue to increase price with each model released. Hopefully no more than $429 like the 3T.

iPhone 7 makes no sense. Wait for the 8 if you want to switch. Not only is 7 an incremental update, headphone jack loss sucks and you only "get used to it" because you don't have a choice, not because you wake up magically thinking it's better one day.

Also it shipped with flaws like the lens flare issue similar to the pixel and mine basically went bad yesterday and I had to do a restore through iTunes. You know how wack that is? Have any of you used iTunes on PC lately? Straight trash.

It's been trash since the beginning of time.

Quasar

On the other hand if the 8 is substantial redesign you have the whole v1 issue.

Noema

Purchased or Rented Play Movies can be watched on the YouTube app so it's not even necessary to have the Play Movies app.

Quixzlizx

I know this is slightly OT, but could I use something like this to charge my phone/tablet/vita/3ds/ds4 without frying them?

Do I have to be as paranoid about usb-A cables as I do with usb-C?

Jeffrey

I think it's going to conclude what most of us already know: the Exynos is faster than the Snapdragon. In everyday use however, most people won't tell the difference, etc.

The results surprise no one.

I sound very cynical.

I'm more curious about how smooth it's gonna be compared with 2016 top dogs like op3t and pixel.

S7edge had notable performance hitching when things are updating and there is lag if you type too quickly lol.

I don't get how Samsung can't figure out performance. Huawei and other Chinese companies have heavy skins but those run fine on their flagships.

Vanillalite

That's not my experience. Which probably explains why I have both a ShieldTV and a ATV attached to my TV.

How old is your TV? I've got a newer Samsung and the apps run perfectly fine. My friend has one of OLED LGs and those apps run fine too.

Plus your guaranteed compatibility in terms of getting 4K and HDR to work.

IronRaven

I'm more curious about how smooth it's gonna be compared with 2016 top dogs like op3t and pixel.

S7edge had notable performance hitching when things are updating and there is lag if you type too quickly lol.

I don't get how Samsung can't figure out performance. Huawei and other Chinese companies have heavy skins but those run fine on their flagships.

Sounds like an optimization thing, but I'm curious if Samsung is really trying to optimize performance or if they just don't care.

reKon

Banned

That's why you use the Exynos version of this. I'll just keep on repeating it in this thread because some of you still don't get it.

Jeffrey

honestly the only reason im looking at s8 is because of fucking at&t only doing wifi calling for a carrier phone and my new job has no cellular signal in the office, and s8 is the new hotness until iphone I guess.

IronRaven

No Samsung pay. No warranty. No WiFi calling. Seems like a hassle for folks in the US.

Yeah, these are strongest reasons not to. I'd love to get a Samsung phone almost exclusively for Samsung Pay. The ability to use my phone to pay for stuff at ANY store is just so damn enticing. I had my first taste of mobile payments with Android Pay about a week ago and I want more.

Plus, the whole no warranty/having to deal DIRECTLY with a company like Samsung sound s like a giant hassle.

Haven't gotten a survey all month. WTF Google.
I got a few, but they were all the "hey, which of these places did you visit recently" and I hadn't visted any of the places they were listing, so I only got like $0.10-15 for them. :/

I still need about $3 more credit and I can get Super Mario Run.

reKon

Banned
No Samsung pay. No warranty. No WiFi calling. Seems like a hassle for folks in the US.

Yeah, these are strongest reasons not to. I'd love to get a Samsung phone almost exclusively for Samsung Pay. The ability to use my phone to pay for stuff at ANY store is just so damn enticing. I had my first taste of mobile payments with Android Pay about a week ago and I want more.

Plus, the whole no warranty/having to deal DIRECTLY with a company like Samsung sound s like a giant hassle.

BTW, if you know how to upgrade firmware via PC then it is possible...

Technically today, you can download the firmware for a country that supports Samsung Pay and flash it through Odin.

I wouldn't expect anyone in this thread to know this, but this has been an option for months. If there is any hassle, it's probably the fact that OP's in XDA threads can't fucking organize information and that sometimes it's hard finding a website that has all the latest Samsung firmware that doesn't cap at some obscure slow speed.

I'm pretty sure that I read that India is getting Samsung Pay support, so this may indicate other countries may start seeing this rollout. Regarding Wi Fi calling, I think there was a country firmware that supported that too, but I don't care about that because I get full service everywhere with T-Mobile.

The reason I haven't bothered with changing my firmware for Samsung Pay is that Android has Chase support and it's just as easy to use (Samsung is obviously superior though).

The only thing I'm unsure about is the warranty, BUT I have faced an actual issue before with a phone I've bought internationally.

My Xperia Z3 Compact magnetic charging port detached. This was an obvious defect. I read online about some people actually having issues on getting this fixed for free. I reached out to Xperia US support and they said that I would need to send it the UK since I bought it from there. But, they ended up fixing it in the US at their Texas center and I got the phone back only 5 business days after mailing it in for repair.

EDIT: well after doing some research, maybe there legitimately ANY warranty for the Int'l version (as in you can send it overseas for repair?). Well, there's always square trade...

Anyways, I've been using the Exynos version for many months now and it's been flawless. I can understand though why people wouldn't want to go that route.

Vanillalite

You'd be doing it as an intermittent device anyways. If you really were gonna spend the gift card anyways then the upgrade could be a wash depending upon how much you could flip your old iPhone for.

Plus you'd have the newest iPhone to trade in when the 8 comes out.

Granted their are hoops to to jump through, but it's a good deal in theory.

NeOak

BTW, if you know how to upgrade firmware via PC then it is possible...

Technically today, you can download the firmware for a country that supports Samsung Pay and flash it through Odin.

I wouldn't expect anyone in this thread to know this, but this has been an option for months. If there is any hassle, it's probably the fact that OP's in XDA threads can't fucking organize information and that sometimes it's hard finding a website that has all the latest Samsung firmware that doesn't cap at some obscure slow speed.

I'm pretty sure that I read that India is getting Samsung Pay support, so this may indicate other countries may start seeing this rollout. Regarding Wi Fi calling, I think there was a country firmware that supported that too, but I don't care about that because I get full service everywhere with T-Mobile.

The reason I haven't bothered with changing my firmware for Samsung Pay is that Android has Chase support and it's just as easy to use (Samsung is obviously superior though).

The only thing I'm unsure about is the warranty, BUT I have faced an actual issue before with a phone I've bought internationally.

My Xperia Z3 Compact magnetic charging port detached. This was an obvious defect. I read online about some people actually having issues on getting this fixed for free. I reached out to Xperia US support and they said that I would need to send it the UK since I bought it from there. But, they ended up fixing it in the US at their Texas center and I got the phone back only 5 business days after mailing it in for repair.

EDIT: well after doing some research, maybe there legitimately ANY warranty for the Int'l version (as in you can send it overseas for repair?). Well, there's always square trade...

Anyways, I've been using the Exynos version for many months now and it's been flawless. I can understand though why people wouldn't want to go that route.

Right. Next thing you will tell us is that we can bypass the IMEI whitelisting and flash the custom firmware of the SD820 carrier versions onto the Exynos one to get Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

honestly the only reason im looking at s8 is because of fucking at&t only doing wifi calling for a carrier phone and my new job has no cellular signal in the office, and s8 is the new hotness until iphone I guess.

Only carrier unlocked device that does Wi-Fi calling is the iPhone. You need to get the carrier version for Wi-Fi calling for Android and WP phones.

Top Bottom