• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Looks like OnePlus have sorted out some of the issues with the OP2 (NFC and charging speed to name the two obvious ones). Still have reservations over the speed of their software updates, and customer service being close to non-existent.

But.... Thats a lot of phone for the money.

They released the sources today so CM13 and all other custom ROMS should be available as soon as the device gets in your hand. CM13 is being built as we speak.

They released the sources today so CM13 and all other custom ROMS should be available as soon as the device gets in your hand. CM13 is being built as we speak.

That's good to hear, I've heard nothing about negative stuff about Oxygen OS (I only ran CyanogenOS on my OPO). If CM is available from day one then that's one issue solved.

Now, I've only got one decision. OP3 or Galaxy Note 5....?

Holy shit OnePlus 3 looks amazing, I might jump off the Nexus train for this. They're not even fucking over Europe as hard as Google did. €399 is an awesome price - the cheapest 6P I can find is still €570.

Saiyan-Rox

That's good to hear, I've heard nothing about negative stuff about Oxygen OS (I only ran CyanogenOS on my OPO). If CM is available from day one then that's one issue solved.

Now, I've only got one decision. OP3 or Galaxy Note 5....?

CM is being built now and Paranoid Android is on the way already swell

Furyous

I've watched almost an hour of reviews and the early returns are the camera is okay. It's somewhere in the middle of the Xperia X on the low end and the S7/G5 on the high end. It's in the HTC mid tier level where you have the weigh shots against each other to discover the true situation.

Can someone add a reviews section to this thread with three reviews for each flagship or is that a separate thread?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've watched almost an hour of reviews and the early returns are the camera is okay. It's somewhere in the middle of the Xperia X on the low end and the S7/G5 on the high end. It's in the HTC mid tier level where you have the weigh shots against each other to discover the true situation.

Can someone add a reviews section to this thread with three reviews for each flagship or is that a separate thread?

Ain't nobody got time for that lol

One Plus does one thing right. As soon as they announce their device they open its availability. You still have companies like ZTE's Axon 7 still not available and the Alcatel 4 which was announced at MWC and still hasn't seen the light of day.

Goodbye Obamaberry, hello Obamadroid
The mobile device for the secure government set is now a "hardened" Samsung Galaxy S4.

When President Barack Obama took office in 2009, he pushed to keep his BlackBerry. Instead, he was issued another BlackBerry device—a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition with extra crypto—for unclassified calls and e-mail. Until recently, Obama continued to carry a BlackBerry handset, but mobile device technology shifts have finally caught up with the White House. Sadly, the Obamaberry is no more.

So if no current phones are daydream capable pefformance are we looking at the possibility of the new Nexus not having daydream support..?

So if no current phones are daydream capable pefformance are we looking at the possibility of the new Nexus not having daydream support..?
I'm sure they will have it. I'm curious what makes the current sleuth of phones (Minus the OP3) incompatible with Daydream. The Axon 7 is going to be a "Daydream ready" phone and that appears to have specs inline with what the S7/HTC10/G5 have which makes me wonder what the difference is supposed to be. Right now it feels like a reason to get people to buy new phones because I don't quite understand what would make the Axon 7 much different than the S7 on paper.

I'm sure they will have it. I'm curious what makes the current sleuth of phones (Minus the OP3) incompatible with Daydream. The Axon 7 is going to be a "Daydream ready" phone and that appears to have specs inline with what the S7/HTC10/G5 have which makes me wonder what the difference is supposed to be. Right now it feels like a reason to get people to buy new phones because I don't quite understand what would make the Axon 7 much different than the S7 on paper.

Ah I didn't know the axon 7 has it. Maybe it's ram size/speed related. Glad to hear snapdragon 820 makes the cut.

Vanillalite

I'm tempted to go to the 1+3 from my 6P....................

Don't

While I wouldn't recommend the 6P now to most people if you already have one you still have a fantastic phone. Swapping for the 3 is a bunch of hoops for small gain at best.

Just wait for this year's Nexus.

WoodWERD

Welp, just ordered a ZUK Z2 Pro from Taobao. 6gb/128gb for just over $400...I wanted the 4gb/64gb version but it was almost the same price. Looking forward to ditching my mi3.

That reminds me. How is ZUK with the OS updates? The ZUK 2 (non Pro) still sounds like my dream phone, but I know the lack of updates would annoy me a lot.

Don't

While I wouldn't recommend the 6P now to most people if you already have one you still have a fantastic phone. Swapping for the 3 is a bunch of hoops for small gain at best.

Just wait for this year's Nexus.

But what if the Nexus phones are shit for a third year in a row?

I'm expecting Google to fuck over Europe again with like a +50% premium on the prices and giving Americans Play credit that Europe won't get just to add salt to the wounds. I hope GAF impressions of OP3 will be good - I will jump off the Nexus train if it is actually a good phone.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think they do.

Fairly certain the 6P was pretty much the recommended Android phone for at least six months straight after it came out. The only reason I wouldn't recommend one right now is that it's going to get updated in a couple of months, though I still think that if you can get a good deal it's the Android-phone to get if you really can't wait for the hardware update.

I can imagine the screen size of the 6P is a deal breaker for people though, and the 5X disappointed on the spec end, so I reckon that's the major gripe.

People really think the 6P is a shit phone? Crazy.
it's not "shit" but it's definitely a niche phone

like it's MASSIVE. 5X suffers a similar issue. It's way bigger than it has any right to be given that screen size and it also was a bit of a mess for a little while performance wise.

Asgaro

I'm mainly looking for battery life, above average performance, timely updates (at least N and maybe O) and a really good camera.

I was looking around on Reddit and the G Flex 2 is still having overheating issues apparently and it still only has Lollipop. Also the price seems extremely cheap for the specs it has even if you take overheating into account so I'm a little cautious.

The price difference with the Z3 and Z3C is around 37$. I think my choice is probably going to be between these 2 and the G4 Plus.

Yeah, don't buy the Z3 or Z3C if you want a good camera... It's pretty shit.

Vanillalite

But what if the Nexus phones are shit for a third year in a row?

The 6P is fine as it is.

The main hurdle it has is the same hurdle all non Samsung phones had last year aka the Snap 810.

Put the 820 in the 6P as currently and it's auto buy again.

So it can't be shit for a 3rd year in a row. Not that I thought the two years before last were shit either .

Pachimari

As I currently don't own a phone - broke my iPhone 6 while on vacation - I'm kind of looking for a new one. I had my eyes set on an iPhone SE but now I see this OnePlus 3 delivers. Which one would be wise to get? I am familiar with both OSes.

The 6P is fine as it is.

The main hurdle it has is the same hurdle all non Samsung phones had last year aka the Snap 810.

Put the 820 in the 6P as currently and it's auto buy again.

So it can't be shit for a 3rd year in a row. Not that I thought the two years before last were shit either .
6P is fine if you already own it. The price makes it hard to recommend any phone with a Snap 810 though purely due to thermal issues.

First of all, I definitely made a broad statement based on my weird personal opinion that barely anyone shares.

But the thermal and throttling issues already make the 6P a non-recommendation, unless you can get it for a really good price. Even when the phone came out, I wasn't sure if it was worth the price they were asking for, simply due to the SoC and how it's going to age.

And then there's what Pyro already mentioned, the size of both devices. I really wouldn't mind the 6P as it is (options are great!), if the 5X hadn't been so disappointing for me. I'm not going to list my issues again, because I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it's definitely not a good follow-up to the 2013 Nexus 5. At all.

I don't know, I might remember things wrong, but I feel like 6-8 months after launch, you could still recommend the Nexus phones to people, if that's what they were looking for. Even the Moto Nexus 6 was still a good recommendation in June 2015, if people were okay with the size (which I wasn't).

That's why I think the previous two Nexus generations have been a shit. The Moto Nexus 6 in 2014 was just massive, with an average screen (at best), and both phones last year were a big no-no for various reasons (mainly size and SoC for both).

I suppose it's time for me to let go of things I really want in a phone, accept that I'm not getting them and be more open-minded to other options. No more wireless charging or no 5" phone or no more Google "Stock" Android and no more timely OS updates.

Aiii

So not worth it
As I currently don't own a phone - broke my iPhone 6 while on vacation - I'm kind of looking for a new one. I had my eyes set on an iPhone SE but now I see this OnePlus 3 delivers. Which one would be wise to get? I am familiar with both OSes.

The OP3 for the amoled screen alone would be the choice between those two. But (even as an iOS dev) I couldn't recommend iOS over Android especially once N hits, to anyone really. Whenever I pick up my iPhone or iPad, I feel like I'm moving backwards in time.

Vanillalite

That's why I think the previous two Nexus generations have been a shit. The Moto Nexus 6 in 2014 was just massive, with an average screen (at best), and both phones last year were a big no-no for various reasons (mainly size and SoC for both).

Once they software fixed the 5X I think it's a great recommendation due to the phone always being on sale in some form or fashion. You can routinely find the phone for sub $300.

My problem with the 6P is it's still rather expensive. Your paying 820 level pricing for an 810 based phone.

it's not "shit" but it's definitely a niche phone

like it's MASSIVE. 5X suffers a similar issue. It's way bigger than it has any right to be given that screen size and it also was a bit of a mess for a little while performance wise.
The size is hardly something that would make the Nexus 6P a "Niche" phone. We get it you don't like big phones, but that doesn't mean everybody hates them as well. That's pretty easy to see given how well larger phones have been selling over the years and at a time the "Plus" iPhone was selling better than the regular model and it probably still is selling super well.

Honestly, I hate OnePlus for their customer service and slow OS updates, but even then I don't know why you'd want to pick the iPhone SE. Unless you really want a tiny phone it just seems like a bad buy in comparison to the OP3.

Once they software fixed the 5X I think it's a great recommendation due to the phone always being on sale in some form or fashion. You can routinely find the phone for sub $300.

My problem with the 6P is it's still rather expensive. Your paying 820 level pricing for an 810 based phone.

The 5X is good value for under 300 bucks. But for someone with a Nexus 5 or any flagship of that era, the 5X it's a sidegrade at best, even for cheap. Similar performing SoC, same amount of RAM, same resolution. If I'd buy a 5X today, I'd only gain a fingerprint sensor, USB-C and longer OS support (not even sure if the 5 is getting N).

No one thinks the 6p is a shit phone. They just know its stupid to waste that much money on a phone with a processor that was dead on arrival a year and a half ago.

The 5x is worth it if its cheap. Performance was fixed months ago but it lost battery life with that fix. Standby battery is not that great on the 5x.

Vanillalite

The 5X is good value for under 300 bucks. But for someone with a Nexus 5 or any flagship of that era, the 5X it's a sidegrade at best, even for cheap. Similar performing SoC, same amount of RAM, same resolution. If I'd buy a 5X today, I'd only gain a fingerprint sensor, USB-C and longer OS support (not even sure if the 5 is getting N).

Well yeah, but usually people looking for a cheap phone aren't coming from say the GS5 or LG G3.

No one thinks the 6p is a shit phone. They just know its stupid to waste that much money on a phone with a processor that was dead on arrival a year and a half ago.

The 5x is worth it if its cheap. Performance was fixed months ago but it lost battery life with that fix. Standby battery is not that great on the 5x.

Basically this.

Okay, I'm losing my mind. I restarted my phone not even an hour ago. My phone was working perfectly fine before this restart.

Now, it runs like shit. Apps constantly crashing, Home screen crashing, settings crashing, name it and its fucking crashing. Phone is taking forever to react, doesn't acknowledge me tapping the screen on my lock screen half the time.

WTF is going on, and what can I do to fix this?

LG G3 btw

Edit: scanning phone to make sure there isn't a virus

Edit 2: nothing, so wtf?

Unless OnePlus is just BS'ing it sounds like the OPX isn't getting a sequel and it looks like they've ended production given it is out of stock. Shame, Android could certainly use more small-sized options and a sequel to the OnePlus X could have improved upon the (Few) flaws the original had.

Unless OnePlus is just BS'ing it sounds like the OPX isn't getting a sequel and it looks like they've ended production given it is out of stock. Shame, Android could certainly use more small-sized options and a sequel to the OnePlus X could have improved upon the (Few) flaws the original had.

is there even a demand for these devices?

A lot of Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 users are still hanging strong on those devices because they do not want to switch to any larger phones and Sony's Xperia Compact series has quite the following. It might be a "small niche", but I believe that is more due to the fact that there aren't enough compelling smaller-sized phones out there and not that there aren't enough people interested in them.

A lot of Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 users are still hanging strong on those devices because they do not want to switch to any larger phones and Sony's Xperia Compact series has quite the following. It might be a "small niche", but I believe that is more due to the fact that there aren't enough compelling smaller-sized phones out there and not that there aren't enough people interested in them.

All I ever want is for Google to take the Nexus 5 and just update the insides. Keep the size and design and just make a faster and longer lasting device with that size and screen resolution.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
All I ever want is for Google to take the Nexus 5 and just update the insides. Keep the size and design and just make a faster and longer lasting device with that size and screen resolution.

You would have to bump up the resolution. It's so cramped compared to other displays.

Top Bottom