• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jzero

Currently downloading Namey McNameface preview 4. Hope it fixes some jank.

Edit: Whoa! New update screen. Reminds me of Siri colors

JYWk3hP.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems to be running smooth so far. Not noticing anything new right away.

Audible finally stopped throwing up a gray box with missing library files whem you boot it, so yay for that.

There's small niche market for 5" and less devices. I like small devices, but I am adapting to somewhat bigger ones. I am fine with 5.2" ones.
the highest selling phone on the entire planet by a massive margin is a 4.7 inch phone lol.

oneplus just sells low ass numbers in general. Most people who prefer a smaller device are NOT the type of customers that would purchase a phone from oneplus. Oneplus buyers are usually hardcore android users or those buying for somebody else.

Saiyan-Rox

Seems to be running smooth so far. Not noticing anything new right away.

Audible finally stopped throwing up a gray box with missing library files whem you boot it, so yay for that.

Tbh most of the new stuff is probably already there and it's just bugs and optimizations now

the highest selling phone on the entire planet by a massive margin is a 4.7 inch phone lol.

oneplus just sells low ass numbers in general. Most people who prefer a smaller device are NOT the type of customers that would purchase a phone from oneplus. Oneplus buyers are usually hardcore android users or those buying for somebody else.

if they made one model and it was 6.4" or 3.2" it would still be the highest selling phone on the entire planet that year.

people aren't buying other phones that size at a rate high enough to be financially viable

Currently downloading Namey McNameface preview 4. Hope it fixes some jank.

Edit: Whoa! New update screen. Reminds me of Siri colors

Funny that was in the last beta but maybe it was only for factory resets.

BTW beta is running great. Fixed a bug i had too. This shit is mainstream ready.

if they made one model and it was 6.4" or 3.2" it would still be the highest selling phone on the entire planet that year.

people aren't buying other phones that size at a rate high enough to be financially viable
that's just speculation. I'm bringing facts son. I don't believe that's true at all. The reason iphones are so popular is because they are what they are. Look at the SE, apparently demand was so high for that they couldn't keep up until recently.

As well, the 4.7 inch model outpaces the 5.5 inch not by a small percentage, it's signficant. But let me guess, now you'll say it's because the 5.5 is too expensive. As if that has ever stopped apple buyers lol. Now I'm not saying big phones shouldn't exist but some of these releases are idiotic, specifically the companies that release normal phones AND phablets yet they're all huge. I'm not even including oneplus because I concede that most people buying those are nerds who don't care if their phone is 7 inches.

Also the whole small = gimped is an android thing I never understood. Anyway I think every major OEM should cater to both markets. 5" or smaller and 5.5" or higher as the two models. Too bad almost none of them do it, if any.

Maybe google will do it this year. Then again the nexus 5x is 5.2 inches yet it's huge for some reason.

that's just speculation. I'm bringing facts son. I don't believe that's true at all. The reason iphones are so popular is because they are what they are. Look at the SE, apparently demand was so high for that they couldn't keep up until recently.

As well, the 4.7 inch model outpaces the 5.5 inch not by a small percentage, it's signficant. But let me guess, now you'll say it's because the 5.5 is too expensive. As if that has ever stopped apple buyers lol. Now I'm not saying big phones shouldn't exist but some of these releases are idiotic, specifically the companies that release normal phones AND phablets yet they're all huge. I'm not even including oneplus because I concede that most people buying those are nerds who don't care if their phone is 7 inches.

Also the whole small = gimped is an android thing I never understood. Anyway I think every major OEM should cater to both markets. 5" or smaller and 5.5" or higher as the two models. Too bad almost none of them do it, if any.

Maybe google will do it this year. Then again the nexus 5x is 5.2 inches yet it's huge for some reason.
fact is people aren't buying small Android flagships.

there is no market for small smartphones.

there is a market for iPhones regardless of size though.

also, the 4.7" iPhone is around the same total physical size as a 5" Android flagship.

#dembezels

Isn't the S7 the best selling Android phone right now? I think it's about the same size as an iPhone 6s unless you guys are talking about even smaller phones.

Honestly, something like the S7 would probably be the perfect screen size for my hand. I just want a phone that lets me pull the notification shade down using one hand and also reach the whole keyboard without stretching. Thus far all of the 5.2" phones I have used don't give me that kind of flexibility, although the MotoX 2014 is the exception in the sense that I can pull the notification shade down one handed, but I cannot use the keyboard all the way and it is a stretch to reach the Q/A/Z side. Even that being said I'm still willing to give larger-screened phones a try, but I don't want to be using something like the Nexus 5X that forces me to use two hands if I don't get the benefit of a larger screen over something like the MotoX which is serviceable for me to use one-handed.

I think the argument that the iPhone 6 is selling so well and is a smaller screened phone is dumb, because I honestly think if it was a larger size like 5"-5.2" it would still sell well. I see a lot of comments online from iPhone 6 owners who say they'd like a larger screen size, just one not as large as the Plus phone.

fact is people aren't buying small Android flagships.

there is no market for small smartphones.

there is a market for iPhones regardless of size though.

also, the 4.7" iPhone is around the same total physical size as a 5" Android flagship.

#dembezels
the most popular single android flagship in the world is actually one of the smallest flagships available. It's samsungs 5.1" galaxy s and edge phones. Keyword is flagship.

Boom another fact there. The public like smaller. Women with purses and nerds like bigger :p

the most popular single android flagship in the world is actually one of the smallest flagships available. It's samsungs 5.1" galaxy s and edge phones. Keyword is flagship.

Boom another fact there. The public like smaller. Women with purses and nerds like bigger :p

I think you're wrong. The S7 Edge looks to be doing better than the S7.

Edit: Crap you said world.

I'd consider those about the same size and easily one-handable by most people. I wouldn't call the S7 a "big" phone at all.

people aren't buying small Android flagships.

keyword 1 small. keyword 2 Android.

the 5" phone is a "normal" sized smartphone.

the Galaxy S7 is a normal sized phone.

not a big phone. not a small phone. normal.

the ~4.7"~ iPhone is the same size as a "normal" sized phone.

it is a normal sized phone with an undersized screen and oversized bezels.

"small phones" aka "Sony mini" Android phones do not sell well.

the iPhone SE sells well, however it doesn't run Android.

it's all relative. In the android world, 5 inches is small. I think that's part of the problem overall but what can you do.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This right here.

Real Talk Faceless

Novocaine

So Chrome got updated and new tabs are all consolidated into one screen and aren't completely new windows any more. Does anybody know if I can put it back to how it was? I can't see any options in the app.

or Apple dont produce much to make it seem it a hot seller ....

Tmobile is giving the SE away and stores have plenty in stock so uhhhh not sure if this article is right.

Just checked AT&T and Verizon and both have at least a 12 day wait for the SE to ship. Could be T-Mobile got all of the stock in the U.S., Apple is purposely constraining supply to make it look like it's way more popular than it is to stockholders, or they actually have a ton of demand. No real way to know if/when they would announce sales figures.

Edit: Also 7-14 on T-Mobile's website http://explore.t-mobile.com/shipping-dates

vivftp

Friggin' hell! I broke the digitizer on my Xperia Z Ultra :( *sigh* it had a good 2.5 year run for me at least. Looks like I have options to replace the screen, but am a bit hesitant. Plenty of Youtube videos showing how to do it at least. It looks like replacing the digitizer on its own is a pain in the ass, so replacing the LCD + digitizer would be my best option.

I'm also considering my other options. I'm in Canada and with Rogers as my carrier. I see they're coming out with the Xperia X Performance, taking pre-orders next week and having them available in a month. Does anyone happen to know if the Xperia X's we're getting in Canada will lack the fingerprint sensor like the US variants?

EmiPrime

Up until about a month ago my Nexus 7 had amazing standby battery life; I only needed to charge it every 2-3 weeks depending on my use. Now I need to charge it every 3 days. No new apps, June update installed.

Android.

WoodWERD

That reminds me. How is ZUK with the OS updates? The ZUK 2 (non Pro) still sounds like my dream phone, but I know the lack of updates would annoy me a lot.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I haven't read much about ZUI 2.0, but they're calling it their flagship phone so hopefully that'll mean updates for a while. There is some ZUK discussion on the xda forums, maybe it'll attract some dev support.

Vanillalite

Does the SE really sell that well? I doubt it. Outside of the initial rush when it was released I havent heard squat about it.

Biggest reason for the SE is it got the entry level price point down which really matters in places like China. Every little bit counts in markets like China and India.

Mindwipe

Biggest reason for the SE is it got the entry level price point down which really matters in places like China. Every little bit counts in markets like China and India.

Not really, the Chinese market likes larger handsets. It the European one that heavily favours smaller phones.

Vanillalite

Not really, the Chinese market likes larger handsets. It the European one that heavily favours smaller phones.

China and India are both full of billion + people and many are extremely price sensitive.

I'm not saying they don't prefer larger phones, but there is a reason there are a fuck ton of handsets in those two countries of varrying degrees of pricing.

Every dollar matters to a shit ton of people over there.

Whether that actually plays out or people just opt for Android instead is another matter.

This was Apple's play though.

Honestly, something like the S7 would probably be the perfect screen size for my hand. I just want a phone that lets me pull the notification shade down using one hand and also reach the whole keyboard without stretching.
With Nova Launcher you can set a down swipe gesture anywhere on the screen to bring the notification window down without having to start from the top. One of the few gesture abilities I use.

And you do have the option of shrinking the keyboard (or the entire screen) so that it's more easily one handable.

Chris R

Is there a way to revert back to a previous version of Chrome without undoing ALL of the updates? I don't want to go back to whatever stock version was with the phone when I click "Undo Updates" I just want to go back to 50 or whatever the previous version was from 51.

Top Bottom