• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Let's be honest the phone was not going to review poorly. Still it is good for Samsung from what little time I had with the phone it was impressive.

I can't wait for Samsung and Synaptics to get their shit together end embed the fingerprint sensor in the screen. That thing on the back is such a half-step, it's not even funny. Total downgrade from the S7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I mean we could have written these.

Screen and camera great

Fingerprint reader rushed out the door

Bixby half baked

Software not terrible but ehhh

Bottom speaker sucks but included headphones nice

Waterproofing legit

Jeffrey

Screen and camera great

Bixby half baked

Waterproofing legit

Seems like the included headphones aren't amazing lol. Better than your typical free buds but definitely not worth the $100 MSRP.

I do agree though, at this point I can easily write an accurate review for a phone from just looking at a spec sheet and pictures of the phone lol.

reKon

Banned

Screen and camera great

Bixby half baked

Waterproofing legit

Pretty much. The aesthetic is amazing, but not worth the upgrade if you have an Exynos S7 edge. The S9 should fix all these issues and Bixby would be probably more useful.

Jeffrey

So common bullet points of s8 reviews.

- must mention or joke about exploding note 7.
- show last Jedi trailer on the phone.
- show mario run
- phone is finger print magnet

reKon

Banned
Very good considering the massive bump in screen size. This is for the Exynos version though. I can see the SD835 version hitting 80 hours at least with probably an hour less web browsing and video playback. I think the biggest improvement for the Qualcomm chip was battery efficiency. At best it will probably achieve same battery efficiency and be a bit behind in performance.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Pretty much. The aesthetic is amazing, but not worth the upgrade if you have an Exynos S7 edge. The S9 should fix all these issues and Bixby would be probably more useful.

I think the fact that they are pushing Bixby so hard is awful. Seriously, why make your own thing when Google Assistant works just fucking fine?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I commented here once that whatsapp was the most popular app for messages and some users said I was crazy...hmm

aplicativos_mais_baixados_facebook4_00.jpg

I think the fact that they are pushing Bixby so hard is awful. Seriously, why make your own thing when Google Assistant works just fucking fine?
Does it really? Unless I am mistaken Google Assistant is still pretty half-baked at the moment. It is still lacking in what app support it and what features it offers. I see no reason why Samsung and other manufacturers shouldn't be releasing apps similar to what Google offers when time and time again Google has shown they half-ass things. While Samsung does have a lot of bloat, I feel like it can't be denied that many of their apps offer a vastly better experience than what Google offers.

IronRaven

I commented here once that whatsapp was the most popular app for messages and some users said I was crazy...hmm

I'm really not surprised by those figures. WhatsApp is absolutely massive outside the US. It's like everyone not in the US and some parts of Asia uses it. South Korea prefers KakoTalk and I think in Japan, LINE is preferred.

Toki767

Been thinking about buying my mom an iPhone SE since she currently has an iPhone 5.

We're currently on AT&T but will probably switch to T-Mobile in a month or two. Is Swappa probably the best place outside of Craigslist to get a fairly cheap unlocked one?

Been thinking about buying my mom an iPhone SE since she currently has an iPhone 5.

We're currently on AT&T but will probably switch to T-Mobile in a month or two. Is Swappa probably the best place outside of Craigslist to get a fairly cheap unlocked one?
AT&T Stores should still have them available for $199. They are selling it as a GoPhone, but so long as you make sure they don't turn on the device you can take it home and request an unlock code on their website then get it unlocked. You have to buy a $30 Prepaid card with it, but you also get a $20 discount on the bundle so it should be around $210 plus tax.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I hate this as it doesn't count what's already preinstalled.

Nothing against WhatsApp and I know it's one of a small handful of top message apps.

That being said iMessage won't even ever be on this list by virtue of how Apple handles the app.

Jeffrey

People bitching Bixby isn't finished upon release turning a blind eye when Assistant suffered (and still suffering) from being a beta product.

The valid complaint I see is that it's unfinished and also positioned near the volume buttons so you might accidentally hit that instead.

Wonder if you can completely disable Bixby?

People bitching Bixby isn't finished upon release turning a blind eye when Assistant suffered (and still suffering) from being a beta product.

None of the assistants or apps that are trying to be assistants are worth a damn. I set a timer or an alarm. I have a highly developed voice command timer for when my kid has to go to timeout.

I am waiting for better uses.

The bixby button should be mapped to open up a website. I would make it my NeoGAF button.

The upgrade to Nougat seemed to help with my Note 5's terrible battery life.

Now, I think I just need to backup my contacts/images/videos and then do a factory reset and hopefully that'll make the battery life even better.

Otherwise, the S8 seems really enticing other than the silly fingerprint being wonky and having infinity mode cut off top and bottom of videos. If it weren't for those 2 things, I'd definitely just take the plunge and pre-order.

If it's not the S8 then it'll most likely be the Pixel 2.

People who dismiss WhatsApp are most likely from the US, which isn't surprising, because WhatsApp is not popular in the US and this a US-centric forum. It can definitely be annoying, though.

The upgrade to Nougat seemed to help with my Note 5's terrible battery life.

Now, I think I just need to backup my contacts/images/videos and then do a factory reset and hopefully that'll make the battery life even better.

Otherwise, the S8 seems really enticing other than the silly fingerprint being wonky and having infinity mode cut off top and bottom of videos. If it weren't for those 2 things, I'd definitely just take the plunge and pre-order.

If it's not the S8 then it'll most likely be the Pixel 2.

I factory reset mine yesterday, so far so good. Lasted the day on mostly mobile data, and that was without using power saving mode or data saver.

Still way off what I want for battery life though :/

Top Bottom