• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

hmmm lets see. current plans of 2017. needing at&t wifi calling limits my phone options.

S8+ this week.

iphone 8 when that comes out sept (or nov?), sell the s8.

keep the pixel for google fi for my international trips later this year.

not sure what else can change my plans, unless at&t gets around to supporting more stuff on wifi calling that are unlocked.

No Love

Banned
iPhone SE 32 GB for $179 is the best phone you can buy for under $600. Totally see why Bboy AJ was raving. Don't sleep on it, for the money it's an amazing supplement to your Android primary phone.

Quasar

iPhone SE 32 GB for $179 is the best phone you can buy for under $600. Totally see why Bboy AJ was raving. Don't sleep on it, for the money it's an amazing supplement to your Android primary phone.

179$?

Man...they are like $679 here in Australia.

Does the SE support Applepay and the Apple watch?

Quasar

yes it does

Fair enough. I had the impression it lacked some things as its based on the 5. Like using a watch for ApplePay or even using the watch. Or maybe I was getting confused with the ipod Touch.

That's making me more interested then. as even at 679 thats an affordable iPhone If processing power (and RAM), screen and camera are the only differences it certainly is something to consider.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is really a fantastic phone. I really recommend it to the phone enthusiasts here. It's super refreshing after years of big Android phones. The SE has such a nice feel to it and iOS has come a long way. It's not perfect and Android does many things better but iOS also does many things better than Android. The SE is fantastic and it'll make you recognize the brilliance of smaller phones. Sure, the big Android phones fit in your pocket but that's not the main difference between smaller and bigger phones. I can't say enough good things about the SE. It's the perfect time to try one out.

hmmm lets see. current plans of 2017. needing at&t wifi calling limits my phone options.

S8+ this week.

iphone 8 when that comes out sept (or nov?), sell the s8.

keep the pixel for google fi for my international trips later this year.

not sure what else can change my plans, unless at&t gets around to supporting more stuff on wifi calling that are unlocked.
I use my iPhone with Google Fi when I travel abroad. Works fine because I've already activated that SIM with a Nexus 6P. You don't need a Google phone anymore once you've activated the SIM with a Google phone.

Jeffrey

It is really a fantastic phone. I really recommend it to the phone enthusiasts here. It's super refreshing after years of big Android phones. The SE has such a nice feel to it and iOS has come a long way. It's not perfect and Android does many things better but iOS also does many things better than Android. The SE is fantastic and it'll make you recognize the brilliance of smaller phones. Sure, the big Android phones fit in your pocket but that's not the main difference between smaller and bigger phones. I can't say enough good things about the SE. It's the perfect time to try one out.

I use my iPhone with Google Fi when I travel abroad. Works fine because I've already activated that SIM with a Nexus 6P. You don't need a Google phone anymore once you've activated the SIM with a Google phone.

Woah. First I've heard of this. I assume I still need to keep a Google phone around? Im not gonna use Google fi much anyhow.

Quasar

Being a longtime iPad user (I'd say its my most used device aside from my PC) I'm certainly familiar with how iOS has progressed.

So how has it been going back to a 4" screen?

reKon

Banned

I played with one the other day. I know that it has God-like battery life for an iOS device - definitely better than 7. Great performance too and lastly the design is aesthetically pleasing with exception of the big ass bezels.

For me though my issue is the screen size. 4 inches is just too small! I think 4.5 should be the bare minimum. You can still design small phones with that screen size. I wish they would have push their design further on their small phones and created something similar to the Xperia Z3 Compact in terms of sizing. That truly is the best small phone I've ever used and it's on Nougat now:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...e3=0&sSearch2=xperia+compact+z3&idPhone2=6538

No Love

Banned

https://slickdeals.net/f/10026504-3...ray-200-free-shipping?page=40#commentsSection

Cliff's notes: go to ATT corporate store. Get iPhone SE Gophone with plan (ask for $20 off.) Do not open phone or activate it with SIM!!!

Next go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Enter it as a nonATT customer. Enter info. They will email you an email to confirm. Confirm it. In a few hours they will approve the unlock.

Now you have a 32GB unlocked iPhone SE for $179 (+$30plan) that can be used on any carrier.

No Love

Banned
I played with one the other day. I know that it has God-like battery life for an iOS device - definitely better than 7. Great performance too and lastly the design is aesthetically pleasing with exception of the big ass bezels.

For me though my issue is the screen size. 4 inches is just too small! I think 4.5 should be the bare minimum. You can still design small phones with that screen size. I wish they would have push their design further on their small phones and created something similar to the Xperia Z3 Compact in terms of sizing. That truly is the best small phone I've ever used and it's on Nougat now:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...e3=0&sSearch2=xperia+compact+z3&idPhone2=6538

It is too small but once you get used to it you will appreciate how nimble and compact it is. And the quality of the hardware is so high in such a small package.

Quasar

Does make me wish for a bezel-less phone in that form factor.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Woah. First I've heard of this. I assume I still need to keep a Google phone around? Im not gonna use Google fi much anyhow.
You don't need a Google phone anymore. Just use the Fi website to pause and resume service. That's what I do.

Being a longtime iPad user (I'd say its my most used device aside from my PC) I'm certainly familiar with how iOS has progressed.

So how has it been going back to a 4" screen?
I actually prefer a smaller screen, I think. I'm likely in the minority. I mainly use it to web browser and read. Videos are the biggest downgrade. Still, though. Worth it. I like the smaller form factor.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moto G5 Plus soo good. Battery life is insane while having solid day to day performance. It almost makes the cheap flagship obsolete.

Jeffrey

You don't need a Google phone anymore. Just use the Fi website to pause and resume service. That's what I do.

I actually prefer a smaller screen, I think. I'm likely in the minority. I mainly use it to web browser and read. Videos are the biggest downgrade. Still, though. Worth it. I like the smaller form factor.

lol are you still carrying a SE around as your daily phone, while wielding a 7 plus for the camera?

Bboy AJ

lol are you still carrying a SE around as your daily phone, while wielding a 7 plus for the camera?
I wish. I changed over to the 7+ full time because it's a pain to pair my Apple Watch. You have to reset the whole thing. Plus, I'm traveling a lot lately. Miss the SE. A lot.

Jeffrey

I wish. I changed over to the 7+ full time because it's a pain to pair my Apple Watch. You have to reset the whole thing. Plus, I'm traveling a lot lately. Miss the SE. A lot.

apple watch can't handle multiple iphones?

Isn't the whole apple thing right now is continuity or something?

kaiyo

Went mid range budget for the Honor 8 but I miss a legit Android experience and better supported rooting scene. Since I'm getting a new job with better pay figure I'd go for a premium to hold me over the next few updates post Nougat.

Debating getting a Pixel XL based on a co-workers experience with the phone and how nice it looks, but it sounds like Pixel 2 could be coming soon.

HTC has been a wash the last few phones but I miss how great the M series was and like some of the features they push even if they are half baked or undersupported.

Been looking at Samsung but I hate how shit the OS tends to be after a few months.

Never really a fan of LG.

Should I just stick it out for a few months until a few more releases are out of should I jump for the S8 or XL? These are the two biggest phones in my sight at the moment but would love suggestions.

Xperia XZ Premium?

Bboy AJ

apple watch can't handle multiple iphones?

Isn't the whole apple thing right now is continuity or something?
Nope. You can't switch phones without the watch resetting. A phone can have multiple watches, though. Super annoying.

Bboy AJ

Trying to wait for the Pixel 2/iPhone J8sus vs jumping on the S8 cause fuck TouchWiz. Needed something cause my G3 battery had gone to shit.

Seriously though it's amazing how much better phone performance is compared to last year's model.

If you'd consider jumping to J8sus, you should have gotten an iPhone SE for $180. Why didn't you? SE is too small?

Vanillalite

If you'd consider jumping to J8sus, you should have gotten an iPhone SE for $180. Why didn't you? SE is too small?

I don't have tiny hands. Can't go back to tiny phone.

My mom is still rocking her old ass iPhone 5C, and whenever I have to use that shit I hate it. Keyboard is soooo cramped.

Jeffrey

Well, I've pulled the trigger and preordered an S8 Plus, coming from an IPhone 6 Plus.

I can't resist the screen on the S8+.
Why not wait for the iPhone lol. All rumors point to it basically being similar to the s8 xD

Even uses Samsung curve panels!

cilonen

Why not wait for the iPhone lol. All rumors point to it basically being similar to the s8 xD

Even uses Samsung curve panels!

It's not radical enough for me. If the rumours are true there's still a 4mm bezel around the sides. I have an imported Sharp Aquos from Docomo that's a couple of years old and has similar side and top bezel dimensions.

I want that "curved right out to the edges" look.

RoKKeR

That iPhone 8 is hawt, damn. I still feel like it will end up looking like the S8 for the most part, unless they've made some serious magic happen with the camera and touch sensor in the front. (which I wouldn't rule out)

Jeffrey

That iPhone 8 is hawt, damn. I still feel like it will end up looking like the S8 for the most part, unless they've made some serious magic happen with the camera and touch sensor in the front. (which I wouldn't rule out)
I'll wait for some Foxconn leaks first before judging its hawtness xD

Vanillalite

Idk I feel like the iPhone will still sorta look like an iPhone. It's gonna be done hybrid look between the S8/i7/G6 in my mind.

IronRaven

Trying to wait for the Pixel 2/iPhone J8sus vs jumping on the S8 cause fuck TouchWiz. Needed something cause my G3 battery had gone to shit.

Seriously though it's amazing how much better phone performance is compared to last year's model.

Ah. Well, I'm glad you're enjoying the phone. I basically heard nothing but good things about it.

For some reason Android OS is using up battery and data when I'm connected on mobile data network. No issues when I'm on wifi. Any ideas, or do I just proceed to factory reset?

Fucking Samsung.... Or possibly Android. Or both. 😧

Jeffrey

New iPhone renders look decent.

Hope they aren't doing the curved shit.

Honestly the only thing that looks bad about iphones these days is... Ios.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I do feel like Jon ive ruined ios lol.

And you can't skin ios at all so you are stuck with that.

IronRaven

New iPhone renders look decent.

Hope they aren't doing the curved shit.

Honestly the only thing that looks bad about iphones these days is... Ios.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I do feel like Jon ive ruined ios lol.

And you can't skin ios at all so you are stuck with that.

I will always give Apple kudos when it comes to hardware design (minus the removal of the headphone jack) and packaging. Beyond that, not a whole lot to love.

That said, I look at the iPhone these days and wonder what life is like on the other side. Sometimes I feel like switching just to see what it's like. Maybe one day I will. The only real problem is getting my music on the phone.

Jeffrey

I will always give Apple kudos when it comes to hardware design (minus the removal of the headphone jack) and packaging. Beyond that, not a whole lot to love.

That said, I look at the iPhone these days and wonder what life is like on the other side. Sometimes I feel like switching just to see what it's like. Maybe one day I will. The only real problem is getting my music on the phone.

Easiest option is to dump it all onto Google play music.

Lose quality but you get convenience.

Top Bottom