• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

zewone

My work phone is an iPhone and the OS is a mess.

I could use an iPhone as my daily, but I'd rather not. Hardware isn't worth the price either.

Jesus that's stupid. I think the fact that Samsung has basically an app for every single thing that Google has put out makes no goddamn sense. It's not going to make you more money if we use your apps. I find that having so many clones is just a waste of time for Samsung.

Kinda surprised at this point that they don't make you use a Samsung Play Store over Google's.

reKon

Banned
Jesus that's stupid. I think the fact that Samsung has basically an app for every single thing that Google has put out makes no goddamn sense. It's not going to make you more money if we use your apps. I find that having so many clones is just a waste of time for Samsung.

It's likely for when they ditch Google and do their own thing

Lol

IronRaven

Wait. Let me get this straight.

Samsung touts Bixby as their next big thing for the new generation of smartphones. Then, they say it won't be active when the phone is shipped out to customers. THEN, they update the phone so the dedicated button for a feature that won't ship with the phone is now unremappable. Now, people will have a button on their device that literally does nothing until Samsung decide to turn on Bixby.

My head hurts.

snacknuts

we all knew her
New iPhone renders look decent.

Hope they aren't doing the curved shit.

Honestly the only thing that looks bad about iphones these days is... Ios.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I do feel like Jon ive ruined ios lol.

And you can't skin ios at all so you are stuck with that.

iPhones have always been pretty nice-looking, but I hate using iOS way too much to ever go back.

CronoShot

Ugh. Bixby is just gonna be S-Voice Part II. And now they won't even let you use the button (that apparently won't do anything at launch?) for something actually useful.

I hate Samsung's never ending quest to duplicate every Google function and app in Android with their own (worse) implementation.

I guess it's to build their "Samsung ecosystem" and eventually separate from Android. We'll see if that ever even happens.

Ugh. Bixby is just gonna be S-Voice Part II. And now they won't even let you use the button (that apparently won't do anything at launch?) for something actually useful.

I hate Samsung's never ending quest to duplicate every Google function and app in Android with their own (worse) implementation.

I guess it's to build their "Samsung ecosystem" and eventually separate from Android. We'll see if that ever even happens.

And it's going to backfire pretty fucking hard if they try to be their own ecosystem and basically shun anything Google. And I think they need something like that to realize how futile their attempts are at doing their own thing.

Not surprised. Stuff like this is why I decided to wait on the Pixel 2 or iPhone J8sus (or maybe the OP4 if they fix some shit).

Can't deal with Sammy.

Same. I really really don't want to deal with their software bullshit. Waiting for the Pixel 2 XL as well (or maybe the OP4/5 will be CDMA capable and go for that as well).

Samsung Pay is like the only thing they do software-wise that's miles better than what Apple and Google do. Stuff like Bixby is just a waste of time and storage space.

IronRaven

Samsung Pay is like the only thing they do software-wise that's miles better than what Apple and Google do. Stuff like Bixby is just a waste of time and storage space.

I really wish that their standard for NFC payments were the industry-wide standard. Can be used literally anywhere there's a card reader.

EmiPrime

I like the way my Sony Smartwatch 3 has an NFC module which would have worked for Android Pay but Sony decided to not port Android Wear 2.0 to it.

That was pretty cool.

Cool. How is it? I know zero about smartwatches so far.

Jumping in here, but I've loved mine since I got it about a month ago. I mostly just use it for notifications, but I've had good luck taking calls on it and sending quick text responses (wish it'd handle group texts though). The fitness stuff can be good, but isn't always, so I wouldn't buy it for that.

Edit - Oh, and the Samsung pay is pretty sweet.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Cool. How is it? I know zero about smartwatches so far.

While with a Samsung phone you'll have two separate apps Samsung Gear and Samsung Pay. The Pixel had only the Samsung Gear app, which contained Samsung Pay within it. It worked well, except you had to resync with the Gear app after 5 purchases. Both NFC and MST worked.

kaiyo

I have flirted with the idea of getting a sony phone. Just never knew which were the most recent with all the X,Z, ect names out there.

Not much different than other OEM. Z was the old flagship model. X is midrange, XA is lower range, XZ is the flag ship. Premium is the larger screen. Compact is the smaller screen. Just have to look at the XZ line for the flagship.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like the way my Sony Smartwatch 3 has an NFC module which would have worked for Android Pay but Sony decided to not port Android Wear 2.0 to it.

That was pretty cool.
Yep. We paid for hardware never to be used. I'm annoyed at it, too.

Never trust future release promises. You buy what's being sold today and not tomorrow.

VoxPop

Not much different than other OEM. Z was the old flagship. X is midrange, XA is lower range, XZ is the flag ship. Premium is the larger screen. Compact is the smaller screen. Just have to look at the XZ line for the flagship.

If anything you made him even more confused D:

Never trust future release promises. You buy what's being sold today and not tomorrow.

I hope more people follow that moto. I agree with that. you are not buying for future. Other than security update nothing should be expected. More often then not updates breaks stuff. I like what I have. Unless it comes from official sources I do not mess around with my phone and they last long time without issues. I have yet a phone to fail. I have dumb phone ( sony ) first gen windows phone ( nokia), original gen android, lg g3 and new once ( Mi5) they all work good.

EmiPrime

Oh I know, I think I bought it without knowing about the NFC anyway but I still can't help but feel shortchanged however. The SW3 is still being sold despite Sony having abandoned it which is pretty scummy.

Quasar

I think Apple would rather postpone the phone one year rather than do an half assed solution like Samsung.

Well there's that wacky rumour of Apple removing touchID completely because under the glass is too hard. Which is insane to me, especially given I think rear fingerprint readers are best (well aside from samsungs wacky position).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh I know, I think I bought it without knowing about the NFC anyway but I still can't help but feel shortchanged however. The SW3 is still being sold despite Sony having abandoned it which is pretty scummy.
Agree. It's the best for my needs at the time. I agree completely with you. Still feel shortchanged. Pretty weak of Sony to abandon it.

Mindwipe

Samsung touts Bixby as their next big thing for the new generation of smartphones. Then, they say it won't be active when the phone is shipped out to customers. THEN, they update the phone so the dedicated button for a feature that won't ship with the phone is now unremappable. Now, people will have a button on their device that literally does nothing until Samsung decide to turn on Bixby.

My head hurts.

"Bixby" works, just not spoken voice support.

So in practice the button takes you to a Google Now-esque feed of "recommended" spammy crap.

Thing is accessibility services is not designed for this and does turn the phone into a lag fest. But now Samsung have actually made the phone less useful for disabled users and created a bad news story on launch day to get people to try a feature that barely works and will feel really crap. Slow clap, Samsung, slow clap.

Also that PR guy on Twitter will be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Quasar

So in practice the button takes you to a Google Now-esque feed of "recommended" spammy crap.

Thing is accessibility services is not designed for this and does turn the phone into a lag fest. But now Samsung have actually made the phone less useful for disabled users and created a bad news story on launch day to get people to try a feature that barely works and will feel really crap. Slow clap, Samsung, slow clap.

I though bixby even in this state only works in a few countries anyway. So most of us dont even get that, probably just US, UK and South Korea.

IronRaven

I feel like the whole point of having an AI assistant is the ability to speak to it and use a keyboard to communicate with it when it's not possible or inconvenient to do so. I've used Google Assistant a few time now, but it's SUPER useful when I'm feeling lazy.

Mindwipe

I feel like the whole point of having an AI assistant is the ability to speak to it and use a keyboard to communicate with it when it's not possible or inconvenient to do so. I've used Google Assistant a few time now, but it's SUPER useful when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm not defending it. I actually think loading a spammy feed is worse than just not working.

IronRaven

I'm not defending it. I actually think loading a spammy feed is worse than just not working.

I used to like HTC's Blinkfeed for the first few months I had my M8, then I stopped using it. I started to learn to hate those kinds of feeds. It does make me wonder if Samsung's market researchers came to the conclusion that the majority of their customers want a feed like that or if this is them just wanting to gather more data about their users. Most likely both now that I think about it.

Quixzlizx

Jumping in here, but I've loved mine since I got it about a month ago. I mostly just use it for notifications, but I've had good luck taking calls on it and sending quick text responses (wish it'd handle group texts though). The fitness stuff can be good, but isn't always, so I wouldn't buy it for that.

Edit - Oh, and the Samsung pay is pretty sweet.

While with a Samsung phone you'll have two separate apps Samsung Gear and Samsung Pay. The Pixel had only the Samsung Gear app, which contained Samsung Pay within it. It worked well, except you had to resync with the Gear app after 5 purchases. Both NFC and MST worked.

Thanks for the impressions.

My head hurts.
???

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
But it says that it is launching with Bixby. In the demo, they showed a lot more than just the voice part...

I guess their intentionally misleading headline confused some of you.

I mean the whole point of the button is for the voice part. You don't need the button to swipe left to get their version of Google Now.

Shit is shipping half baked on something not needed in the first place.

Jeffrey

A user, who wishes to remain anonymous, has DMed us on Twitter stating that his Samsung Galaxy S8 review device is still able to remap the Bixby button. Furthermore, he states that his unit is up to date.

lol.

Thanks fragmented updates for samsung phones!

Bboy AJ

That button should be the new Push to Talk.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll say this about the iPhone J8sus. The current 7 Plus has the GOAT battery life, but Apple needs to fucking hurry it up in terms of charging speed.

Hard to go back to a trickle charge when even cheap Android phones can charge like 50% in 30 mins or less.

Jeffrey

I'll say this about the iPhone J8sus. The current 7 Plus has the GOAT battery life, but Apple needs to fucking hurry it up in terms of charging speed.

Hard to go back to a trickle charge when even cheap Android phones can charge like 50% in 30 mins or less.
Magic charge

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So the S8 will cost R$3.999 in Brazil. That's almost $1.300.
And the S8+ will cost R$4.399, $1.415.

Fuck Brazil.

Top Bottom