• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Oh thank god, for a second i thought we arrived to a point were 5,5 inched were considered small...
Still, i would consider sub 3000mah a gimped battery for a 5 inches phone.

The Xperia X is supposed to have really good battery, life at 2600mah. Probably the only good thing about that phone.

LeleSocho

Banned
The Xperia X is supposed to have really good battery, life at 2600mah. Probably the only good thing about that phone.

Xperia X SoC lacks 2 high performance cores that's why it can get away with less battery, Sailfish will probably have 4 Kryo cores that are all high performance.

Android Police supposedly has the specs for the larger (Marlin) of the HTC Nexus phones.

Manufactured by HTC
Quad-core Qualcomm processor
5.5" QHD (2560x1440) AMOLED display
USB-C port
12MP rear camera, 8MP front
Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
4GB RAM
3450mAh battery
Bottom-firing speakers
32/128GB of storage
Bluetooth 4.2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/30/exclusive-specs-for-marlin-the-larger-of-two-upcoming-htc-built-nexus-phones/

What a bummer. I was hoping to upgrade from my Nexus 6 to the new Nexus device, but smaller display, only slightly larger battery, and rear speakers make me pause. That processor better be killer.

Matush

I've been using OnePlus 3 for the past week and I'm impressed. This is pretty much my first phone from ''non-premium'' manufacturer (my last 5 phones were iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5) and so far everything works like charm.

Credit goes to battery life and Dash Charging. I don't use phone every minute so it usually last me for the whole day (8-12 hours), when I have a time to charge it, it is up to 100% (from my 30-40%) in about 30 minutes. It makes huuuuuge difference, since I dont have to bring my power bank or cable with me everywhere (like with abysmal S5 battery life). Also system is fast and snappy, even with 20 apps running in background. I wonder what happens in year or two, but after one week this is probably one of the best phone Ive used in years.

Also I dont get complaints about display quality. But Im not that hardcore/well educated on that matter to even care.

Furyous

How is it performance wise?

It's universally panned as complete shit relative to the cost of the device. They're charging S7 prices for something that is an overpriced HTC 10 with less bang for your buck. No quick charge, no high quality DAC, and poor camera relative to the price.

Am I the only person here spends an exorbitant amount of time justifying my purchase? Any smartphone I buy over $500 gets used a minimum of 18 hours a day because I need my psychic benefit. The saving grace about Android is you can literally do anything as far as games, "content", and productivity. It gets hard as shit to justify $500 on an iphone when I can't do 25 percent of what I want without jailbreak. Not that I jailbreak of course. Only saving grace there is the fact that my device, *shoots at the sky*, gets updates after two years.

If I buy a OP3 then I won't have to use it for 18 hours a day but I will feel left out in November when the Daydream devices come out, hopefully.

I'm glad they're finally copying the iphone model and not gimping the smaller one but again about the sailfish/marlin. They look good on paper. Most flagship phones look good on paper. All about execution.

Keys will be efficient design when it comes to screen/bezel ratio and software optimization for battery and no glaring fuck ups. Oh and pricing of course.

Noema

I'm sad that we might not get a new Huawei Nexus.

I was looking forward to a refreshed 6p. 5.7" is also my sweet spot when it comes to screen size.

Quasar

Let's go Nerds.

Nerds_(candy).jpg

Even though I knew it wouldnt happen it was my vote.

What a bummer. I was hoping to upgrade from my Nexus 6 to the new Nexus device, but smaller display, only slightly larger battery, and rear speakers make me pause. That processor better be killer.

I agree. The only reason for getting this, is for Android N & for SnapDragon 820/821 (& because that I haven't had a new smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S III).

I just hope that the 128 GB model isn't too expensive if there's no option for 64 GB's of storage. Otherwise, I think that I'll be going for the 5" model or another phone.

Jeels

I have a 4.6 inch Xperia Z3C. :( Specs of the regular Z3 in an actually useable and portable form factor. That's never happening again is it.

Noema

Can anyone running Nougat DP4 check something for me? In cellular settings > cellular data usage, can you turn off Android System background cellular data? Mine crashes everytime I try to disable it.

It sucks because it's using up more data in the background than all my other apps put together.

I agree. The only reason for getting this, is for Android N & for SnapDragon 820/821 (& because that I haven't had a new smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S III).

I just hope that the 128 GB model isn't too expensive if there's no option for 64 GB's of storage. Otherwise, I think that I'll be going for the 5" model or another phone.

Calling it right now.

Sailfish:

$450 - 32GB
$550 - 128GB

Marlin:

$500 - 32GB
$600 - 128GB

If there is a 64GB it will fall in between.

rc213

Sad panda, Why!!! 5.7 is pretty much perfect for me as far as biggest device while still comfortable.

This better have some really thin bezels and amazeballs battery life Google!

Assuming there are 64GB models I think $400/$450/$550 is a better price for Sailfish and $450/$500/$600 for Marlin. Having the base price of Sailfish be $450 seems kind of high if you compare it to phones like the OnePlus 3, or the Axon 7 and I feel like they'll be more lenient with the pricing this year given how badly overpriced the Nexus 5X was last year.

Assuming there are 64GB models I think $400/$450/$550 is a better price for Sailfish and $450/$500/$600 for Marlin. Having the base price of Sailfish be $450 seems kind of high if you compare it to phones like the OnePlus 3, or the Axon 7 and I feel like they'll be more lenient with the pricing this year given how badly overpriced the Nexus 5X was last year.

Same processor makes it pretty much 1 to 1 minus screen size and resolution. I'd be willing to bet that there is a max of $75 difference in price between the 2 with the same storage.

Same processor makes it pretty much 1 to 1 minus screen size and resolution. I'd be willing to bet that there is a max of $75 difference in price between the 2 with the same storage.

The processor may not be the same. AP said the 5 in is clocked at 2.0 which is less than the current 820.

I could see the smaller phone slightly under clocked with a cheaper GPU with the larger phone being slightly overclocked.

Quick quéstion

Got an used note 3 and the Task Manager is using 27% of the battery

Is it normal and how do i kill it without resetting the phone? I unlocked via app and i don't want to lose the unlock

Thanks.

Yo, just migrated from Windows Phone to Android with the OP3. If anyone has any questions about it let me know.

In return, I need:

Can't Live Without Apps (the ones you could never do without anymore after finding them.)

and

Icon Packs (And a good launcher to go with them too.)

Open to any suggestions, because I hate not having a common style to all my apps right now, unlike WP.

Sawneeks

Banned
Hey AndroidGAF, got a question for you all.

This past week on vacation my Xperia Z3v finally kicked the bucket and I went in to Verizon hoping for a fix but was told it was out of warranty and would essentially have to get a new phone. :(

So, in a split decision choice, I picked up the LG V10 and I'm regretting my choice a bit. I have terrible luck when it comes to phones and after hearing about the bootloop issue also affecting V10's I don't really want to risk it. Not to mention the one I picked up is already having heating problems even though I haven't used it other than updating it. Probably going to go back in tomorrow and exchange it which leads me to my question:

What phone should I pick up instead?

I don't really game on my phone and mostly use it for music, podcasts, and social media. My main worry is longevity and battery life, something that I have had issues with in the past. I have heard good things about the Galaxy 7's but after having issues with Samsung in the past ( Galaxy S4 user here ) I'm not eager to really go back.

I'm tempted to get a Note 4 but I'm unsure if I should get that or spring for the Note 5 instead. Maybe even a different phone entirely? No idea, but any help would be appreciated.

Hey AndroidGAF, got a question for you all.

This past week on vacation my Xperia Z3v finally kicked the bucket and I went in to Verizon hoping for a fix but was told it was out of warranty and would essentially have to get a new phone. :(

So, in a split decision choice, I picked up the LG V10 and I'm regretting my choice a bit. I have terrible luck when it comes to phones and after hearing about the bootloop issue also affecting V10's I don't really want to risk it. Not to mention the one I picked up is already having heating problems even though I haven't used it other than updating it. Probably going to go back in tomorrow and exchange it which leads me to my question:

What phone should I pick up instead?

I don't really game on my phone and mostly use it for music, podcasts, and social media. My main worry is longevity and battery life, something that I have had issues with in the past. I have heard good things about the Galaxy 7's but after having issues with Samsung in the past ( Galaxy S4 user here ) I'm not eager to really go back.

I'm tempted to get a Note 4 but I'm unsure if I should get that or spring for the Note 5 instead. Maybe even a different phone entirely? No idea, but any help would be appreciated.

Slightly outdated, but Droid Turbo 2? It has a huge battery and the screen is shatterproof. If you want to be more future proof then prob GS7e.

Sawneeks

Banned
Slightly outdated, but Droid Turbo 2? It has a huge battery and the screen is shatterproof. If you want to be more future proof then prob GS7e.

How is the longevity on it? I loved my Galaxy S4 when I had it up until 10 months after purchasing it suddenly lagged on everything, crashed multiple times, and had a battery that wouldn't hold its' charge.

My rejected OnePlus Three has been received back two days ago, heard nothing from them so far so contacted support *shudder* been given a ticket number and a 48 hour time frame.... yeah lets see when I get my refund from them.

Now I just need to work out how to flash this Mi5 off the buggy/hacked firmware the supplier sent it with.

Saiyan-Rox

My rejected OnePlus Three has been received back two days ago, heard nothing from them so far so contacted support *shudder* been given a ticket number and a 48 hour time frame.... yeah lets see when I get my refund from them.

Now I just need to work out how to flash this Mi5 off the buggy/hacked firmware the supplier sent it with.

If it's spotless it'll take a week or so that's how long it took me for my op2

If it's spotless it'll take a week or so that's how long it took me for my op2

It should be spotless, I never even accepted the parcel, I had a card through the door and went to the post office and told them to return to sender. Been about £700 down for the last couple of weeks due to this order and the other Mi5 I ordered then cancelled due to coming from China and not wanting to risk import charges.

Just need to sell the 6P now, seen them going around £310 on eBay, but getting £240 offers on Gumtree which I'm not really wanting to accept.

Saiyan-Rox

It should be spotless, I never even accepted the parcel, I had a card through the door and went to the post office and told them to return to sender. Been about £700 down for the last couple of weeks due to this order and the other Mi5 I ordered then cancelled due to coming from China and not wanting to risk import charges.

Just need to sell the 6P now, seen them going around £310 on eBay, but getting £240 offers on Gumtree which I'm not really wanting to accept.

I feel your pain selling the Nexus that's all i'm getting on Gumtree for offers swell even though I have it up for a very generous 260...People just love to chance their arm ffs

for not accepting a package i've no idea how long it'll take :S

Is there any browser out there that syncs with Chrome, but doesn't eat through the battery in 10 minutes?

Or if that's asking too much, best browser for battery life? Or should I use the Samsung built-in browser?

Chorazin

Is there any browser out there that syncs with Chrome, but doesn't eat through the battery in 10 minutes?

Or if that's asking too much, best browser for battery life? Or should I use the Samsung built-in browser?

Samsung's browser is pretty much god-tier. Doesn't sync with Chrome, and doesn't have pull down refresh, but other than that it's fantastic.

Saiyan-Rox

I think you jinxed me, as I've now noticed this happen a couple of times tonight. To be fair though, I think it only happens for me when I'm further away from my router and it switches from the 5GHz band to the 2.4GHz band. My other devices do that as well, but they don't always display the no internet connection when they do it since it is usually seamless, but I guess it sometimes takes a few seconds for the OP3 to switch.

Little update ever since connecting to my 2.5Ghz Signal over the 5Ghz its been fine :O

Sky Chief

Android Police supposedly has the specs for the larger (Marlin) of the HTC Nexus phones.

Manufactured by HTC
Quad-core Qualcomm processor
5.5" QHD (2560x1440) AMOLED display
USB-C port
12MP rear camera, 8MP front
Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
4GB RAM
3450mAh battery
Bottom-firing speakers
32/128GB of storage
Bluetooth 4.2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/30/exclusive-specs-for-marlin-the-larger-of-two-upcoming-htc-built-nexus-phones/

5.5" is too small, fuck this

The Nexus 6 size was amazing, 6P is a little on the small side for my tastes. Why can't they offer a 5" and a 6"? What's the point of even offering two sizes if they're both within 0.5" of each other?

5.5" is too small, fuck this

The Nexus 6 size was amazing, 6P is a little on the small side for my tastes. Why can't they offer a 5" and a 6"? What's the point of even offering two sizes if they're both within 0.5" of each other?

A 0.5 difference is pretty substantial. Pick up a Sony Xperia X then go pick up a One Plus 3.

Do Android devices still support USB mice, or did that feature go away? I broke the touch screen on my Nexus 7 2013, and want to copy the files off, but I can't enable file transferring, or add BlueTooth devices or anything without touch input.

Jeffrey

Do Android devices still support USB mice, or did that feature go away? I broke the touch screen on my Nexus 7 2013, and want to copy the files off, but I can't enable file transferring, or add BlueTooth devices or anything without touch input.

get a microusb to usb2.0 adapter off amazon/monoprice and connect a mouse.

it's on their support page, And searching youtube shows quite a few videos of people doing just that on nexus 7.

Probably will work? I've not read that they removed usb support in android yet.

Well, giving it a shot, thanks. At first glance, many of the top YT videos doing it had the old Nexus model, but I see some now with the newer one. I'd heard at some point USB Mouse support went away, but I guess it just depends on your Android device.

Jeffrey

So what is the reasoning why Samsung is about the only company (besides apple) that can sell flagship phones at $600+ these days well?

Is it purely brute force marketing?

Top Bottom