• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Looks like Amazon is trying to branch off their services onto other phones with their new "Prime Exclusive" phone offerings. They will be offering a discount on select unlocked Android phones and in return they are loaded with Amazon apps and also have ads on the lock screen similar to what they do with their Kindles.

They are starting out with two phones the Blu R1 HD for $50/$60 which is a $50 discount and the Moto G 4th generation available at $150/$180 which is also discounted $50 and they are also taking off another $25 at checkout for the MotoG.

Looks like Amazon is trying to branch off their services onto other phones with their new "Prime Exclusive" phone offerings. They will be offering a discount on select unlocked Android phones and in return they are loaded with Amazon apps and also have ads on the lock screen similar to what they do with their Kindles.

They are starting out with two phones the Blu R1 HD for $50/$60 which is a $50 discount and the Moto G 4th generation available at $150/$180 which is also discounted $50 and they are also taking off another $25 at checkout for the MotoG.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...in-exchange-for-giving-you-bloatware-and-ads/

Saiyan-Rox

Do you have Doze enabled? I noticed WiFi was sometimes not connected when turning the phone on after a bit and there was some performance lag when comming out of lock, but after disabling doze I haven't noticed those issues anymore, and battery life hasn't been impacted from what I can tell either.

Doze is enabled by default sure but it's not always Doze sometimes it doesn't connect at all when i'm using it or loose connection when using the phone.

ElNino

Doze is enabled by default sure but it's not always Doze sometimes it doesn't connect at all when i'm using it or loose connection when using the phone.
Ok, I haven't noticed it while in use yet but I'll keep a look out. I disabled doze according to some threads from the OnePlus forums and it helped with my lock screen lag at least. I wouldn't expect it to make any difference while in use though.

Saiyan-Rox

Ok, I haven't noticed it while in use yet but I'll keep a look out. I disabled doze according to some threads from the OnePlus forums and it helped with my lock screen lag at least. I wouldn't expect it to make any difference while in use though.

It's weird the way it happens it's not every time I wake it up from sleep and happens more often when I'm using it....I just see the LTE label appear and then the Wi-Fi symbol with an "!" beside it after and sometimes I need to manually connect it

LeleSocho

Banned
P9 Lite or Moto X Play?

The P9 Lite seems better performance-wise but I don't know about the camera.

P9 Lite camera is plenty good, design is much better, the processor is less power hungry and it's cheaper too.
P9 Lite seems like a no brainer to me.

FFP2

P9 Lite camera is plenty good, design is much better, the processor is less power hungry and it's cheaper too.
P9 Lite seems like a no brainer to me.

They're both the same price over here and I'm hearing that Huawei is really bad with updates. No ROM support either so I'd probably be stuck on MM for 2 years.

Noema

P9 Lite or Moto X Play?

The P9 Lite seems better performance-wise but I don't know about the camera.

I'd get the Moto x play for the larger battery, closer to stock interface and possibility of actually getting updates.

You could also wait for the Moto G4 which is similarly specced but cheaper than either.

Ty4on

My guess is that many of those are still being tested, as well as not wanting to overwhelm the user with options in the menus.
Developmental features I understand, but options to disable features like pull to refresh?

You can also segment the settings menus like adding an advanced tab. Right now the options menu is deserted and hiding options this far away is not user-friendly.

ElNino

It's weird the way it happens it's not every time I wake it up from sleep and happens more often when I'm using it....I just see the LTE label appear and then the Wi-Fi symbol with an "!" beside it after and sometimes I need to manually connect it
I think you jinxed me, as I've now noticed this happen a couple of times tonight. To be fair though, I think it only happens for me when I'm further away from my router and it switches from the 5GHz band to the 2.4GHz band. My other devices do that as well, but they don't always display the no internet connection when they do it since it is usually seamless, but I guess it sometimes takes a few seconds for the OP3 to switch.

IMO, someone needs to get in & make an alternate to LoopPay for it to work on both the latest Android & iOS devices besides Samsung's (in which Samsung had acquired LoopPay & turned it into Samsung Pay).

Have it work across all MST, NFC & EMV terminals. That way, there would be no need for either Android Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay one bit. All you'll need is just one best mobile payment system! :)

IMO, someone needs to get in & make an alternate to LoopPay for it to work on both the latest Android & iOS devices besides Samsung's (in which Samsung had acquired LoopPay & turned it into Samsung Pay).

Have it work across all MST, NFC & EMV terminals. That way, there would be no need for either Android Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay one bit. All you'll need is just one best mobile payment system! :)

Samsung's usage hasn't been higher due to loop pay. It seems like people are scared to do it unless it's NFC. In due time the loop pay acquisition won't even matter. NFC will get there. People are getting REALLY annoyed with he chip cards and it's only a matter of time until more retailers invest in NFC.

Mom and pops on the other hand... They like cash anyway :)

Samsung's usage hasn't been higher due to loop pay. It seems like people are scared to do it unless it's NFC. In due time the loop pay acquisition won't even matter. NFC will get there. People are getting REALLY annoyed with the chip cards and it's only a matter of time until more retailers invest in NFC.

Mom and pops on the other hand...They like cash anyway :)

Good point. I suspect that over time, both Android Pay & Apple Pay (as well as with NFC terminals) would become hugely popular over Samsung Pay within a few years from now while Samsung Pay would just become another Android/Apple Pay clone (as it also supports NFC besides MST, but both Android & Apple Pay supports NFC as well & not only supports the majority of recent Android Phones (besides Samsung's) & iPhones, but also with better security to boot).

It'll render Samsung Pay completely useless in the long run, as the main reason Samsung even bought LoopPay in the first place is because of the MST technology behind them.

Groof

Developmental features I understand, but options to disable features like pull to refresh?

You can also segment the settings menus like adding an advanced tab. Right now the options menu is deserted and hiding options this far away is not user-friendly.

What's your reason for disabling it?

FFP2

I'd get the Moto x play for the larger battery, closer to stock interface and possibility of actually getting updates.

You could also wait for the Moto G4 which is similarly specced but cheaper than either.

G4P has no gyroscope so Maps will be harder to use, smaller battery and a worse camera. It has MM though and is guaranteed to get N/O so that's a big plus.

Hey Android GAF!

My OnePlus 3 is arriving today. Dabbling with Android after 4 years of iOS.

Other than the usual social apps, any must have apps and games?

Also, if someone could recommend a great twitter app that'd be awesome. I'm used to Tweetbot on iOS which is the god twitter app, so anything close in quality would be great. Will pay for a good one.

Cheers!

Hey Android GAF!

Also, if someone could recommend a great twitter app that'd be awesome. I'm used to Tweetbot on iOS which is the god twitter app, so anything close in quality would be great. Will pay for a good one.

Cheers!

Nova Launcher (Great launcher with lots of customization, gestures, unread counts etc)
Weather Timeline (best weather app/widget out there)
Google Rewards (surveys from time to time rewarding free Google play credit)
Today Calendar (Good agenda widget support now APW no longer works)
Textra (SMS/MMS messaging with good options)

PGasDlV.png

NQgg9Um.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even beyond the Amazon thing Blu seems to be redefining what you can get in the Smartphone world for at or around 100 bucks. They seem to be besting Moto in this category.

Saiyan-Rox

Have any of you been getting "you've got a virus" pop-ups when on mobile gaf? It's happened 4 times on me now (on both my Nexus and OP3) makes my phone vibrate says my phone's is critical damaged etc

Fatalah

How do you change the default circle in which Google+ shares?

Super annoying! Every time I share something using G+, the same circle is preselected.

Not sure. Or rather...cant remember as I just use collections now. I thought the client just defaults to whatever I used last be it collection or circle

Unfortunately, the app always defaults to the same circle, rather than the last entity I've shared to.

This has been happening to me over various phones for like 2 years!

Have any of you been getting "you've got a virus" pop-ups when on mobile gaf? It's happened 4 times on me now (on both my Nexus and OP3) makes my phone vibrate says my phone's is critical damaged etc

Yep it's a PITA but I'm loathed to install popup blockers so kind of suffer, I assume it's to do with the ad agreement Neogaf have, possibly unaware that they have intrusive ads on the mobile site though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Yeah, it's from the bullshit ads on mobile gaf. Happens a lot with chrome
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can finally buy an unlocked S7/S7e in the US

$669/$769

Asgaro

Hey Android GAF!

Cheers!

edit: Well shit, works way better than I expected! App that auto-generates this at bottom of list.

These are all my installed apps. I read /r/Android, /r/AndroidApps, Android Policy and Android Authority so I've accumulated some decent apps over the last year. Recommend them all since I uninstall any shit app after a few days of testing.
(Only exception being the VR viewer apps: those are still experimental/wonky.)

List made using List My Apps

Saiyan-Rox

Yep it's a PITA but I'm loathed to install popup blockers so kind of suffer, I assume it's to do with the ad agreement Neogaf have, possibly unaware that they have intrusive ads on the mobile site though.

Yeah, it's from the bullshit ads on mobile gaf. Happens a lot with chrome
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can finally buy an unlocked S7/S7e in the US

$669/$769

Are they aware of these ads? It's seriously annoying :/

Hey Android GAF!

Cheers!

Fenix and Flamingo seem to be the best of the third-party Twitter apps these day. I love Fenix.

Also, Pocket Casts for podcasts.

reKon

Banned
Why Talon get overlooked? It's easily one of the best Twitter apps as well. Most importantly for me, it has nice home screen widget options. I did like Fenix, but logging into my Google account from the left menu kept crashing the app.

Saiyan-Rox

Why Talon get overlooked? It's easily one of the best Twitter apps as well. Most importantly for me, it has nice home screen widget options. I did like Fenix, but logging into my Google account from the left menu kept crashing the app.

Talon does get overlooked quite a bit but I think I saw the price for it on the UK store was £3 something which when looking at the others is a bit high.

Also HTC are testing their launcher on other phones

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/30/htc-secretely-testing-sense-home-launcher-non-htc-devices/

Have it installed on my OP3 and it's not bad, I like the animations anyway and it's themeable too which is nice.

I used Talon before I switched over to Fenix. I should go back and check it out for a comparison.

wilflare

anyone using a Pebble with their Android phones?

I've used Talon on my Note3... now I'm just using the official Twitter app on my Nexus 6P. I'm glad it got the Night Mode toggle. it's serviceable. probably would try Fenix or Flamingo some day (do they still have to use a listener/streaming service to check for notifications)?

Asgaro

Ok, I thought I was going insane, but it's the app: anyone have their Today Calendar notifications disappearing after a while?

Like you have an event reminder occuring, so notifs for both Google Calendar and Today Calendar get shown, but after a while *poof* the Today Calendar one disappears.
Google Calendar one is still there.

Top Bottom