• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

longdi

Banned
The are only two things I want from Touchwiz

1) The Android N style of multi window where you can actually exactly see where it will be resized.

2) Fast experience in navigating the OS. For me (SD820), it always seems a step slower than my Xperia Z3 Compact whenever I enter menus. Not sure if it's the dark material theme that's slowing things down?

I have used the Huawei Mate8 and navigating the heavily skinned OS is still very snappy, has an edge over S7e...

I think it is just Samsung having more animations or reducing the CPU speeds for such tasks.

Anandtech have tests on such matters
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review/2
82099.png

82100.png

Mate8 has slower CPU and disk access yet...
81999.png

82000.png

81976.png

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but want to download Terra Battle. It's not in the Play Store on my phone, and on the web store it says it's unavailable for my device (OnePlus 3)

I remember it wasn't available for me on iOS as well, so is it just not available in Ireland?

If it's a regional issue, are there any easy ways to get around region issues on Android?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but want to download Terra Battle. It's not in the Play Store on my phone, and on the web store it says it's unavailable for my device (OnePlus 3)

I remember it wasn't available for me on iOS as well, so is it just not available in Ireland?

If it's a regional issue, are there any easy ways to get around region issues on Android?
try downloading the apk from the internets and installing it? Not sure if it will work once you load the game though

Jeffrey

how is Samsung support?

Really the only reason not to get a flagship android phone under $400 these days is support imo.

Hear nightmare stuff about oneplus.

Zapages

how is Samsung support?

Really the only reason not to get a flagship android phone under $400 these days is support imo.

Samsung E-Commerce support is worst support ever. I ordered from them about 3+ weeks ago (June 8th) and my order is still processing for USB drive and a surge protector.

You have to email them and they never reply back. Seriously the worst service ever.

https://samsungusa.response.lithium.com/portal/conversation/14861946

Sorry to barge in and ask, but I need a new phone. May I please ask for some recommendations? Here's a list of what I need:

Mandatory:
SD Card slot
OpenGL ES 3 (this is pretty much supported by all phones within the last few years)
Unlockable bootloader

Near mandatory:
Removable battery
64 bit

Nice-to-haves:
Vulkan (this is mostly supported by the newest Snapdragon chips)
Stylus for occasional drawing
Micro USB 3 B or USB 3 C
Easily repairable

I have a cracked Note 3 as my phone, and a Note 2 as my "backup phone" for when I don't feel like cutting myself on my Note 3's glass, lol. Is the best option for me really the two-year-old Note 4? Or is there anything more modern that would fit?

Or should I wait until the Note 6... er, Note 7 and deal with the "Edge" screen?

Also, re: Touchwiz, it seems to introduce a lot of latency on the touch screen. Super Hexagon is unplayable to me on Note 2 and 3 using stock Touchwiz, but when I play it on the same devices using Cyanogenmod, it plays like a dream.

Sorry to barge in and ask, but I need a new phone. May I please ask for some recommendations? Here's a list of what I need:

Mandatory:
SD Card slot
OpenGL ES 3 (this is pretty much supported by all phones within the last few years)
Unlockable bootloader

Near mandatory:
Removable battery
64 bit

Nice-to-haves:
Vulkan (this is mostly supported by the newest Snapdragon chips)
Stylus for occasional drawing
Micro USB 3 B or USB 3 C
Easily repairable

I have a cracked Note 3 as my phone, and a Note 2 as my "backup phone" for when I don't feel like cutting myself on my Note 3's glass, lol. Is the best option for me really the two-year-old Note 4? Or is there anything more modern that would fit?

Or should I wait until the Note 6... er, Note 7 and deal with the "Edge" screen?

Also, re: Touchwiz, it seems to introduce a lot of latency on the touch screen. Super Hexagon is unplayable to me on Note 2 and 3 using stock Touchwiz, but when I play it on the same devices using Cyanogenmod, it plays like a dream.

Note 7 would be best for you. lg g5 also has removable battery and all those things as well.

Hasney

how is Samsung support?

What country are you in? In the UK, it's god awful and outsourced. Wouldn't replace my S4 in warranty once the USB port was fucked because the logo on the back was slightly scuffed.

I got my OnePlus 3, and it really is awesome. I don't understand people who need more than 1080p from their phone screen - I can't even see the pixels on OP3's 5.5" screen.

All I want now is dash charging to work on Cyanogenmod (it is apparently coming), but I'll be fine with stock until a CM snapshot for Nougat is out, and that'll be a while.

Hitta93

Banned
I got my OnePlus 3, and it really is awesome. I don't understand people who need more than 1080p from their phone screen - I can't even see the pixels on OP3's 5.5" screen.

All I want now is dash charging to work on Cyanogenmod (it is apparently coming), but I'll be fine with stock until a CM snapshot for Nougat is out, and that'll be a while.

I really been thinking about going back to a 1080p phone. Get like 8 hours of life with heavy usage on the G4, need something that can easily get me 12 or more.

reKon

Banned

VR. That's literally the only reason. And I'm OK with that on Samsung phones because the G7 series still beats the Oneplus 3 in battery tests due to their efficiency.

Llyranor

Does Doze mode still allow Calendar/Keep events as usual?

I'm thinking of getting a Doze-forcing app so that it activated when the phone is just dormant in my pocket. Any app recommendation?

is the 820 actually any good?
seems like a definite improvement from the 810 but how does it compare to Samsung's?

It's definitely an improvement over the SnapDragon 810 (especially that the SnapDragon 810 has had quite a bad reputation for overheating phones). As a matter of fact, SnapDragon 820 is on all newer Android phones nowadays, not just on Samsung's phones.

Google is the only one that has yet to get on board for it, though it'll definitely happen on these upcoming Nexus phones.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just saw a video of the new TouchWiz UI that's supposed to be on the Note 7 and it looks really good. I'm liking it a lot.

is the 820 actually any good?
seems like a definite improvement from the 810 but how does it compare to Samsung's?

Certainly seems better, had the 810 in the Z3+ and Nexus 6P and they both had heat issues. 6P not so much, Z3+ was horrific (1 minute of AR camera filters and it would shut the app).

Got the 820 in my Mi5 and the thing has been faultless, only really gaining heat on the initial setup and installation of about 100 apps.

So... Is 3D Touch actually coming with Android N or what?

Probably not at launch.

Google won't include native support for its 3D Touch-like software feature in Android N's first release. The feature, which has been coined Force Touch and 3D Touch by other manufacturers, was referenced in the Android N Developer Preview 2 documentation, but sources have said that the final version would appear in a maintenance update following Android N’s initial release.

https://www.androidpit.com/3d-touch-force-touch-android-n-release

Lnkn52

I just recently had to switch from a Nexus 6 to a Galaxy S6 edge. I immediately downloaded the Google Launcher. Is there (Samsung) launcher any good?

Reckoner

Probably not at launch.

Google won't include native support for its 3D Touch-like software feature in Android N's first release. The feature, which has been coined Force Touch and 3D Touch by other manufacturers, was referenced in the Android N Developer Preview 2 documentation, but sources have said that the final version would appear in a maintenance update following Android N’s initial release.

https://www.androidpit.com/3d-touch-force-touch-android-n-release

Oh well. Hoping it finally gets to Android. It's one of those things that only you're used to, you love it.

Saiyan-Rox

- Reviewers complain about the OP3 screen colours being inaccurate

- OP release an sRGB mode that is totally optional and hidden

- Reviewers like Anandtech love it says it makes the phone much better

- OP releases the option for everyone

- OP community hates it says it looks dull and why did they do this

I really hate the community for OP it's the one biggest problem (apart from the CS aspect) that company has as a good 80% are stupid and haven't a clue. and none of them know how to read either.

Jigolo

I really hate the community for OP it's the one biggest problem (apart from the CS aspect) that company has as a good 80% are stupid and haven't a clue. and none of them know how to read either.
They're a bunch of idiots. Most people like the saturated look because they think it looks *better*. That's why Samsung uses it to catch consumers eyes and it works. I prefer my screen to be slightly saturated as well but I understand the people that want a display that matches the sRGB target. Those guys complained about the shipping for the free fucking headset. What a bunch of cheap ass people, jeezus

Saiyan-Rox

They're a bunch of idiots. Most people like the saturated look because they think it looks *better*. That's why Samsung uses it to catch consumers eyes and it works. I prefer my screen to be slightly saturated as well but I understand the people that want a display that matches the sRGB target. Those guys complained about the shipping for the free fucking headset. What a bunch of cheap ass people, jeezus

They really really are they must have the worst fanbase i've ever seen of just complete idiots and entitled twats. I mean I am a fan of the company but at least I have a knowledge of what i'm doing and how to fricken read! I do like the over saturation swell if i'm honest as switching on the sRGB mode gave the display a yellow kinda tint (heh OP and yellow tints) but i'm gonna give it a proper go first since it could be me just being used to AMOLED. Yeah that complaing about shipping for a free headset just killed me inside.

In other news that just pissed me off turns out the really old (and my first ever chromebook) the HP 11 is getting Android App support this year while the 3 year old Pixel isn't....that angers me inside. I really liked that old HP11 when I had it but it became really damn laggy after a while. If only Google allowed us to put Chrome OS on the Pixel C...

Futureman

Weather app on the S7 asks for permission to use my location every time I use it even though I always say no.

So I'm looking at alternatives. Any suggestions? Is "Weather Timeline" worth it for a buck? Looks nice to me.

Weather app on the S7 asks for permission to use my location every time I use it even though I always say no.

So I'm looking at alternatives. Any suggestions? Is "Weather Timeline" worth it for a buck? Looks nice to me.

my suggestion is to say yes.

you are aware that the weather is different in different locations right?

So... Is 3D Touch actually coming with Android N or what?
Apple worked on and developed the 3D touch technology for literally years. With that said I don't expect it to take as long for android OEMs since they can just buy an iphone and desconstruct the technology and figure it out but it's definitely something that is more difficult than they thought I bet.

I honestly think only samsung is advanced enough to do it next year for android. Possibly google in the next nexus and that's it. Even this is a maybe though.

this wouldn't be a problem if they had the option available by default like Samsung has done for half a decade.

Jeffrey

So how is multitasking managed in android? Not sure if my moto x 2015 is especially conservative, but I feel like things reopen a bit more than i'd like for something with 3 gb of ram.

I rarely am outside of my city so I find enabling location to be unnecessary. Unless it's like the most insignificant battery drain ever. I find the S7 battery to be pretty average.

I don't understand how allowing permission to location is a battery drain unless you have location off by default?

I use accuweather app. I only once had to say no and it never asked. Plus if you are on MM you can go to app permission and change it to no as well.

Managed to get £280 for my 32GB 6P in the end which works out that I paid £50 for the 128GB Mi5 which I'm more than happy with for the upgrade.

They really really are they must have the worst fanbase i've ever seen of just complete idiots and entitled twats. I mean I am a fan of the company but at least I have a knowledge of what i'm doing and how to fricken read! I do like the over saturation swell if i'm honest as switching on the sRGB mode gave the display a yellow kinda tint (heh OP and yellow tints) but i'm gonna give it a proper go first since it could be me just being used to AMOLED. Yeah that complaing about shipping for a free headset just killed me inside.

The thing is it became polluted, in the start (I'm forum member 4022 so was there early before launch) when they weren't so big it was a very helpful community. As time grew so did the fan base and the percentage of fucktards.

Weather timeline is great and well worth the money, but most apps will ask for permission for location as they like to update the weather for where you actually are.

Saiyan-Rox

Managed to get £280 for my 32GB 6P in the end which works out that I paid £50 for the 128GB Mi5 which I'm more than happy with for the upgrade.

The thing is it became polluted, in the start (I'm forum member 4022 so was there early before launch) when they weren't so big it was a very helpful community. As time grew so did the fan base and the percentage of fucktards.

Weather timeline is great and well worth the money, but most apps will ask for permission for location as they like to update the weather for where you actually are.

How'd you manage to get 280? i'm still only getting offers of 240 :( geting fed up as I need to sell it to fund my PC upgrade ><

Also it's not just the OP forums anymore theyve all migrated to XDA and now there's a high percentage of fucktards there too.

How'd you manage to get 280? i'm still only getting offers of 240 :( geting fed up as I need to sell it to fund my PC upgrade ><

Maybe geographical location, I'm in Essex, the guy was offering me £240 for it (was advertised at £310) but I told him I had an offer of £285 collecting on the Sunday, but if he could get close to that it was his. Picked it up on the Saturday for £280. (I didn't have an offer)

Quasar

Depends on if the app is requesting coarse or precise data.

Plenty of ways for bad devs to fuck it up.

And certainly for me when I started using fitness apps on my phone my battery life crashed. Its actually got me thinking about trading up within a year, something I'd think ludicrous 6 months ago.

Keyouta

The battery life of the S7 edge (exynos) is really impressive, I hope other manufacturers will work to ensure their devices do as well. I'm not too huge of a fan of the edge screen through because my fingers and palm keep getting recognized as touches.

Asgaro

Bought it recently and I have no complaints. Though I'm no 'weather expert'.
I especially like the notification implementation and that you can show the forecasts of the next few hours, instead of the next few days.

Futureman

I don't understand how allowing permission to location is a battery drain unless you have location off by default?

I do have location services enabled. So you are saying if you have location on, it doesn't matter if you have one app with location enabled or one-hundred apps... the battery drain would be the same?

Top Bottom