• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Talon

There is no bezel influence. Whenever this redesigned iPhone arrives, it will be Apple catching up to everyone else. Samsung, LG, Motorola, Sony and the myriad of other OEMs already make phones, including flagships, that don't have an iPhone look.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Lol

Nobody in history has had to catch up to LG's designs. The Kia of tech vendors.

Agent

How are you getting the hourly to show in the notification? I can get the main forecast but not that bit.

In the Weather Timeline settings, go to Notifications, then under advanced uncheck the Use days instead of hours box. That should make the notification show the next few hours instead of days.

Edit: Ooops, didn't see the reply right above mine with the same info.

Settings > Notification > disable second last option.

In the Weather Timeline settings, go to Notifications, then under advanced uncheck the Use days instead of hours box. That should make the notification show the next few hours instead of days.

Edit: Ooops, didn't see the reply right above mine with the same info.

Cheers guys, I'm going to assume MIUI doesn't allow expanded notifications. as that's not working for me.

4jpzRNM.png

After a little Googling it seems they won't automatically expand and I have to pinch outwards with two fingers on the notification

http://en.miui.com/thread-86455-1-1.html

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
6P stays winning. I'm not upgrading. Doesn't seem worth it. Yet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
seems expensive, but if you want a 7" phone, not that many options?

Didn't the zenphone 2 have an insane amount of bloatware that took a while to clean up?

Asus recently removed all that crapware in the 6.0 upgrade, so yeah

Geist-

So, my G3 has a bad sim card reader and needs to be replaced. I have insurance, so I could spend $100 to get a new G3 (actually, I'm pretty sure they'll send me a G4 since the G3 is a bit old). Or I could put that money towards a new phone.

I was planning on upgrading to the G5, but reading the G5 OT makes me think that's not such a good idea (also pissed they got rid of the rear volume buttons). The LG V10 looks like a great alternative though.

But what I'd like to ask is, what's the best Android phone on the market currently? Any recommendations?

Ty4on

The original iPhone was just an LG Prada with a capacitive touch screen and home button.
I think the LG Prada had a capacitive touch screen.

It probably had an OS from hell if it was anything like my KC910...
I only bought it because it has 120fps slow-mo :p

So, my G3 has a bad sim card reader and needs to be replaced. I have insurance, so I could spend $100 to get a new G3 (actually, I'm pretty sure they'll send me a G4 since the G3 is a bit old). Or I could put that money towards a new phone.

I was planning on upgrading to the G5, but reading the G5 OT makes me think that's not such a good idea (also pissed they got rid of the rear volume buttons). The LG V10 looks like a great alternative though.

But what I'd like to ask is, what's the best Android phone on the market currently? Any recommendations?

I recently switched to the V10 myself after my G3 got boot loop issues (insurance sent me the V10), and I love it.The camera is some kind of wonderful, and second screen is really cool. Been an LG owner exclusively since the G2, as I love the rear volume button, and the tap to unlock lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The amount of people that don't know how to fix an app by either force closing or app data clearing in the Poke Go thread is fucking maddening.

Pyrokai

Not sure where else to ask this so I apologize! Google Photos is closely related to Android these days so I thought I'd try here since I couldn't find a Google Photos OT. I've tried this multiple times and the same thing happens:

If I have a folder of about 445 pictures and I drag it into Google Photos (web browser version) and it only uploads 426 of those, does that mean the 19 that weren't uploaded were duplicates of photos I already had in there?

Noema

I wish they would move the Google Now button back to the center.

I wish they'd bring back the swipe up from home gesture they had pre-6.0. Hold down for now on tap, swipe up for Google now.

Not sure where else to ask this so I apologize! Google Photos is closely related to Android these days so I thought I'd try here since I couldn't find a Google Photos OT. I've tried this multiple times and the same thing happens:

If I have a folder of about 445 pictures and I drag it into Google Photos (web browser version) and it only uploads 426 of those, does that mean the 19 that weren't uploaded were duplicates of photos I already had in there?

Possibly. It also won't upload PNG files from the Web browser AFAIK.

Pyrokai

I wish they'd bring back the swipe up from home gesture they had pre-6.0. Hold down for now on tap, swipe up for Google now.

Possibly. It also won't upload PNG files from the Web browser AFAIK.

Interesting. I don't think these are. But how quick is it to find duplicates? What's even STRANGER to me is that when I went to upload them, it skipped to photo 207 of 445 almost immediately like they were either unable to be uploaded or they were duplicates. Is that a clue that it's one or the other? It was almost instant.

HOWEVER, when it was done uploading, it said 426 were uploaded (I grouped them into an album at this point). So what I think is that 207 of these were already uploaded. That doesn't explain the missing 19 though.....hmmmm.....

Edit: I'm asking from some place else at the current moment and cannot check to see if 207 of those are png files, but I'm guessing not simply because it was able to say that 426 were uploaded and grouped into my album when I made a new album of it. I DO think those missing 19 might be, though. I will keep you updated!

Jeffrey

I still don't get why google calendar can't figure out how to parse phone numbers with the pauses and stuff.

aka

777-777-7777,,1234#

It only highlights the first part, so I have to clumsily copy paste the whole thing and paste it in the phone app, or make a contact.

iOS figured this shit out years ago.

Also don't get why android can't read the battery of my BT headset when my iphone could.

I still don't get why google calendar can't figure out how to parse phone numbers with the pauses and stuff.

aka

777-777-7777,,1234#

It only highlights the first part, so I have to clumsily copy paste the whole thing and paste it in the phone app, or make a contact.

iOS figured this shit out years ago.

Also don't get why android can't read the battery of my BT headset when my iphone could.
There was a Google Calendar update a month or two ago that completely fixed this. It's great now.

Jeffrey

There was a Google Calendar update a month or two ago that completely fixed this. It's great now.

i just tried creating a Event right now and putting in a phone number in 'notes' and it only hyperlinked the first part of the number and not past the ',,'.

Wonder if im doing something wrong.

zewone

Seriously? It looks pretty much like any black slab of a phone. No uglier or prettier than anything else.

There's a giant piece of glass or plastic that takes up half the phone and the ugly Google 'G". Huge bezels.

It's not an attractive design. Actually makes me want to pick up the OP3 even though that has a boring design, it's not ugly.

TTOOLL

I love my Gear S2 despite running on Tizen. TBH it is much polished than Android Wear. I dont care about the extra apps. Notifications and navigation is much easier for me.

Could you tell me more about your Gear S2? I want a smartwatch with GPS for my runs but the options are limited. I know nothing about Tizen but I am in love with my Galaxy Tab S2 and maybe I could invest more in Samsung products.

yyzjohn

Banned
There's a giant piece of glass or plastic that takes up half the phone and the ugly Google 'G". Huge bezels.

It's not an attractive design. Actually makes me want to pick up the OP3 even though that has a boring design, it's not ugly.

That's not even an official picture it's just a guess by Android Police based on what they've heard

Saiyan-Rox

Zzz.

I have given smart watches multiple tries now, and they are just too overpriced for the (minimal) functionality that they provide. While I expect Google Assistant to be amazing, I cannot imagine getting yet-another watch for it.

The only thing i constantly use my Android wear for is for pausing, skipping and changing the volume when listening to things (and as a watch of course). I'd never use the voice controls tbh as most of my text messages aren't 2 word replies.

However is this Google Assistant gonna be in Android Wear or in these two watches just? my G watch R is beginning to lag a bit as it is.

Quasar

Sorry Google, I love my Pebble Time way too much to ever go back to Android wear.

I'm still waiting for a smart watch to have what I want. Using a fitness gps watch with limited smart functions instead.

Maybe one day smart watches will catch up. Or garmin will adopt androidwear.

Top Bottom