• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Talon

Samsung using Apple designs in a patent filing is the most chaebol shit. Clown shoes.

I guess when your Chairman gets caught with a room full of briefcases of cash expressly for bribing politicians but then eventually get pardoned since your high school buddy is the President, you think you can get away with literally everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Kun-hee

Prosecutors requested Lee be sentenced to seven years in prison and fined 350 billion won (approx $312 million USD). The court fined him just 110 billion won (approx $98 million USD) and sentenced him to three years' suspended jail time. Lee has not responded to the verdict. Months later, South Korean president Lee Myung-bak pardoned Lee so he could remain on the International Olympic Committee.

Oh, there's a new prostitution scandal now, too.
On July 21, 2016, NewsTapa, an independent news organization, released video clips containing Lee allegedly engaging in illegal prostitution. The videos document five separate occasions between December 2011 and June 2013 where Lee appears to have sex with 3 to 5 young women and provide financial compensation at two different locations in Seoul. One of the locations, a luxury apartment in Nonhyeon-dong district of Seoul, was apparently rented by a former Samsung group executive, raising suspicion of the company's involvement in Lee's illicit activities. NewsTapa reported that two individuals, together with one of the young women appearing in the videos, were responsible for recording the videos which they had planned to blackmail Lee with.

Asgaro

How viable is using a smartphone and Google Chromecast as media center for 1080p content?

I've been thinking of going that route to give my parents access to some series. (They currently only watch TV and sporadically follow some series that are currently broadcasting.)

Other option is to plug in a hard drive in the TV, but wondering if using a Chromecast works as well.

Jeffrey

Samsung using Apple designs in a patent filing is the most chaebol shit. Clown shoes.

I guess when your Chairman gets caught with a room full of briefcases of cash expressly for bribing politicians but then eventually get pardoned since your high school buddy is the President, you think you can get away with literally everything.

just so he can remain on the IOC is the best part lolol.

this_guy

How viable is using a smartphone and Google Chromecast as media center for 1080p content?

I've been thinking of going that route to give my parents access to some series. (They currently only watch TV and sporadically follow some series that are currently broadcasting.)

Other option is to plug in a hard drive in the TV, but wondering if using a Chromecast works as well.

I use Chromecast for Vudu and YouTube - works fine. If they don't want to use their phone to control the content I'd go with a Roku box.

Nesotenso

ok I need some help. My phone has the latest version of marshmallow. I bought a screen protector but now my screen goes dark during a call. Turns out the proximity sensor turns off and this was an issue with lollipop as well. Any one know how to fix this issue (besides not using a screen protector)?

Agent

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/05/yep-verizon-will-probably-sell-the-2016-nexus-phones/

My interest in getting a new Nexus this year has a splash of cold water thrown on it with this news. I have no interest in getting one if Verizon is going to do their usual tactics with control over software/logos on phone, etc. It was wonderful to just pop a Verizon SIM into the 6p and not have to worry about any of the Verizon non-sense.

I had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus back in the day, which makes me suddenly cringe at this news given how poorly that was handled. Hopefully it will be handled like the iPhone, but that is probably just being optimistic. I understand why Google would try to do this for more mass market appeal, but seems like it could be two steps backwards depending on how everything pans out.

Jeffrey

We have been informed that the original version of the hero image for this post did not contain enough Verizon branding. It has since been corrected. We regret the error.

lol.

how is verizon these days? I feel like every news item about them has been negative.

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/08/05...axy-note-7-with-6gb-of-ram-and-128gb-storage/

6gb note 7 might be coming to china? Wonder what the marketplace is like in china for a note 7 anyways, $850+ for an android device when the competition is half the price or less.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/05/yep-verizon-will-probably-sell-the-2016-nexus-phones/

My interest in getting a new Nexus this year has a splash of cold water thrown on it with this news. I have no interest in getting one if Verizon is going to do their usual tactics with control over software/logos on phone, etc. It was wonderful to just pop a Verizon SIM into the 6p and not have to worry about any of the Verizon non-sense.

I had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus back in the day, which makes me suddenly cringe at this news given how poorly that was handled. Hopefully it will be handled like the iPhone, but that is probably just being optimistic. I understand why Google would try to do this for more mass market appeal, but seems like it could be two steps backwards depending on how everything pans out.

Didn't Verizon have a branded Moto Nexus 6? I'm sure the unlocked version will work on Verizon. VZW just needs a branded one to get people on that payment plan.

VoxPop

oh fuck off verizon.

I had a vzw Galaxy Nexus back in the day and it was a joke. Completely went against what the Nexus stood for.

I'm in the market for a phone for right now since giving my iPhone 6 away.

Been looking at the OP3, G7E, and of course the Note 7.

Just trying to decide if a home button and that general sexiness of the edge is worth the $400 premium over the OP3.

You usually get what you paid for in tech so I'm afraid to go with a budget phone.

I'm actually going to HK/Korea/Japan next week and they don't seem to even sell unlocked G7Es via their website. Is it relatively easy to get unlocked if I picked up a T-Mobile one?

Saiyan-Rox

I see action launcher added the new nougat launcher style but has that white transparent background to it but the apk didn't have that on my phone....did this only appear if you flashed it as a system app?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Oh, there's a new prostitution scandal now, too.
The USA has these same problems, too, and it's sickening. Fuck these guys.

taco543

oh fuck off verizon.

I had a vzw Galaxy Nexus back in the day and it was a joke. Completely went against what the Nexus stood for.

I'm in the market for a phone for right now since giving my iPhone 6 away.

Been looking at the OP3, G7E, and of course the Note 7.

Just trying to decide if a home button and that general sexiness of the edge is worth the $400 premium over the OP3.

You usually get what you paid for in tech so I'm afraid to go with a budget phone.

I'm actually going to HK/Korea/Japan next week and they don't seem to even sell unlocked G7Es via their website. Is it relatively easy to get unlocked if I picked up a T-Mobile one?
I sold a T-Mobile phone to someone on gaf who used att and to unlock it because I had leased it I called and told them I gifted it to a cousin who lives out of the country what's the unlock code and they gave it to me for free. But I believe if you buy the phone outright, you're entitled to the unlock code you just have to ask for it.

EDIT: So I just called customer service the rep informed if you buy the phone outright they WILL NOT unlock it if you're not a T-Mobile customer, it has to be on a T-Mobile line for 40days before unlocking. She said if you buy the phone outright you'd then have to go through a third party solution to unlock the phone.

Limit

Should we be expecting the 6GB RAM note 7 that got certified for Chinese market to come to US anytime soon? Surprised that they aren't already bringing that version to U.S. in the first place but I'm guessing if it's delayed, it will be a mid cycle release. I don't follow phone hardware news that much so don't know how common of a thing this style of hardware release is.

Should we be expecting the 6GB RAM note 7 that got certified for Chinese market to come to US anytime soon? Surprised that they aren't already bringing that version to U.S. in the first place but I'm guessing if it's delayed, it will be a mid cycle release. I don't follow phone hardware news that much so don't know how common of a thing this style of hardware release is.

Carriers it will be 0%. Unlocked I would give it like 20% at best.

Quasar

iPhone SE is doing pretty well, no? I bought one, at least :p

Quite well. But maybe iPhone users are special people, having been on tiny phones for so long some don't want to change.

Certainly I'm not into big phones, though I'm not sure I'd want to go that small 4.7-5 s fine for me. For when I want a big screen I have a tablet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want a Harambe edition Nexus. The Nexus 6 was our last bastion of hope.

longdi

Banned
Just handson the note 7, yeah the symmetrical curved front+black glass and slightly thicker metal frame makes the phone felt more comfortable and substantial/classy than s7e.

And btw here is a photo of oled burn-in of the s7e on display. Faint in photo but fairly obvious in the actual set. ;)

aaCXGQm.jpg

Jeffrey

Just handson the note 7, yeah the symmetrical curved front+black glass and slightly thicker metal frame makes the phone felt more comfortable and substantial/classy than s7e.

And btw here is a photo of oled burn-in of the s7e on display. Faint in photo but fairly obvious in the actual set. ;)

aaCXGQm.jpg

Ah so it's usable without a case.

LeleSocho

Banned

aaCXGQm.jpg

"It's ok, oled is a totally safe technology nowadays, it's not like 5 years ago burn-ins and ir are a thing of the past!" - lots of people everytime a debate on oled screen appears.

MUnited83

For you.
Whats the best phone in a 180-230€ budget? Looking at a elephone p9000 right now and wondering if there's anything better for a similar price.

Whats the best phone in a 180-230€ budget? Looking at a elephone p9000 right now and wondering if there's anything better for a similar price.

Although it launched last year, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (with Snapdragon) is probably still a good buy in that price range.

Asgaro

Found a cool use case for the scrolling dock on Nova Launcher: hide and show certain apps with a swipe.
itssomething.jpg

4EhObM4.gif

Does anyone have an image of what the edge screen actually looks like on the Note 7?

I hate the edge screens on the S Edge line but supposedly the N7 screen has got almost no actual screen curve and the purpose of the edge on the N7 is just to make it possible to have no bezel. I'll upgrade if the screen isn't an abomination like on the S Edge phones.

"It's ok, oled is a totally safe technology nowadays, it's not like 5 years ago burn-ins and ir are a thing of the past!" - lots of people everytime a debate on oled screen appears.
Weird, I've had 4 OLED screened phones over the past 5 years (Samsung Infuse, Note 2, Note 4, and S7e) and none of them had any issues with burn-in.

I've played a lot of games for hours at a time that have static HUD elements that should have caused burn-in.

Pretty sure even if you do get burn-in on an OLED screen it goes away after some time.

Weird, I've had 4 OLED screened phones over the past 5 years (Samsung Infuse, Note 2, Note 4, and S7e) and none of them had any issues with burn-in.

I've played a lot of games for hours at a time that have static HUD elements that should have caused burn-in.

Pretty sure even if you do get burn-in on an OLED screen it goes away after some time.

My old Galaxy Nexus and Note 2 both developed burn-in of the notifications bar and on the Nexus the software buttons area after a year or two of use. Not that big a deal on a phone screen, but I've never trusted OLED TVs after my experience with phone OLED screens.

Zafir

Come on, a display device is going to be on for a long time with the same stuff on the screen.

No shit stuff is going to burn in. :p

You can't really compare it to normal use, which yes after a year or two you might notice some burn in of stuff which is on the screen a lot of the time(notification bar, edge screen panels thing etc) but it's not going to happen that quickly. Especially if you set the screen to turn off after minutes of no use.

Edit: Oh right, as for my experience I had an S4 for 3 years, and noticed no burn in.
My old Galaxy Nexus and Note 2 both developed burn-in of the notifications bar and on the Nexus the software buttons area after a year or two of use. Not that big a deal on a phone screen, but I've never trusted OLED TVs after my experience with phone OLED screens.
To be honest I've had burn in on LCD tv's never mind anything else. Admittedly it wasn't permanent burn in, it was burn in which lasted for 3 or 4 months and then disappeared (until another game I played a lot came along and that UI got burned instead)

display model

those things run screen on like 16hrs a day

their battery life is TERRIBLE too, battery on a display model is probably at 40% after a year

Asgaro

Holy shit, this latest Google Photos ad that shits on iPhone 16GB configuration.👌
https://youtu.be/Fi2MUL0hNNs

I literally had to use this feature on my sister's iPhone last week so she could have some more space. Couldn't arrive at a better time.

LeleSocho

Banned

Burn in is permanent, image retention is temporary.
Come on, a display device is going to be on for a long time with the same stuff on the screen.

No shit stuff is going to burn in. :p

You can't really compare it to normal use, which yes after a year or two you might notice some burn in of stuff which is on the screen a lot of the time(notification bar, edge screen panels thing etc) but it's not going to happen that quickly. Especially if you set the screen to turn off after minutes of no use.

Edit: Oh right, as for my experience I had an S4 for 3 years, and noticed no burn in.

To be honest I've had burn in on LCD tv's never mind anything else. Admittedly it wasn't permanent burn in, it was burn in which lasted for 3 or 4 months and then disappeared (until another game I played a lot came along and that UI got burned instead)

display model

those things run screen on like 16hrs a day

their battery life is TERRIBLE too, battery on a display model is probably at 40% after a year

I've seen a couple of modern non-display devices (GS5 and another of that era) destroyed by burn in while other even newer with other typical problems.
If you want to have your phone for more than 1-2 years OLED phones are still risky.
Now apparently Sharp/Foxconn/Apple are going to do some stuff with OLED next year, hopefully there's a breakthrough around the corner.

OLED/AMOLED the same thing?
Yes the core principle is the same, AMOLED is Samsung's while OLED is everybody else's... just marketing.

Groof

yo for real i have 1h 10m SoT and my 6p is running out of juice. how can my standby time be so bad i don't even have that many apps installed

Noema

i know right! could my battery be dying? too scared to send it in because they'll probably just tell me it's because i dropped it

Is that on DP5? My battery life is similar to Marshmallow. Not bad, but I am not seeing the benefits of the purported improved Doze. Idle battery drain is still to high if the phone is on my pocket when on the go.

Also, background data usage is ludicrous on Nougat. It's about 33% of my total data usage. Unless they changed the way it reports data usage it's significantly higher than Marshmallow.

Groof

Is that on DP5? My battery life is similar to Marshmallow. Not bad, but I am not seeing the benefits of the purported improved Doze. Idle battery drain is still to high if the phone is on my pocket when on the go.

Also, background data usage is ludicrous on Nougat. It's about 33% of my total data usage. Unless they changed the way it reports data usage it's significantly higher than Marshmallow.

yea dp5. it's ridiculous. i always seem to consistently have worse battery life than everybody else.

Top Bottom