• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Noema

yea dp5. it's ridiculous. i always seem to consistently have worse battery life than everybody else.

Biggest problem with battery issues like these is that they are so hard to troubleshoot unless you use apps like Better battery stats which require root.

My old Galaxy Nexus and Note 2 both developed burn-in of the notifications bar and on the Nexus the software buttons area after a year or two of use. Not that big a deal on a phone screen, but I've never trusted OLED TVs after my experience with phone OLED screens.

This kills me. I hate it when phones use software buttons with OLED, it's the one thing I hate about the Nexus 6/6P.

After about a year, the part where the bar is stays slightly lighter and you can see it when you watch a video or play a game.

It's not super noticeable, but it's one of those things I start to obsess over and get irritated with.

Groof

Biggest problem with battery issues like these is that they are so hard to troubleshoot unless you use apps like Better battery stats which require root.

yep, and i don't feel like rooting just for one thing anymore. fucking annoying, this phone shouldn't require 3 charges a day if i was using it like i usually do.

TheWorst

Quite well. But maybe iPhone users are special people, having been on tiny phones for so long some don't want to change.

Certainly I'm not into big phones, though I'm not sure I'd want to go that small 4.7-5 s fine for me. For when I want a big screen I have a tablet.

I actually went from a Nexus 5 to an SE and prefer the latter. Better specs obviously help, but the size is a big part of that as well. I realize that I'm part of a relatively small market, but I'm glad at least one company is catering to it. I'd love it if Google would make a new Nexus 4.

there's a market for cheap iPhones.

Fair.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Harambe sized phones are great.

I want another Veer to compliment my Harambe Nexus. I miss that phone so much. No one else even knows about that Palm OS life.

My Iphone is approaching 4 years old now and the battery is a mess. Spotify manages to use up 70% of a full battery by lunch. Then my phone will die before it hits 30%. I think i'm gonna make the jump back to android but I have a few questions. I currently have an out of contract plan with Verizon. If I buy a used unlocked android phone should I be able to switch it to Verizon? Also, What should I be looking for in the used $150-$200 range? Any input would be appreciated.

My Iphone is approaching 4 years old now and the battery is a mess. Spotify manages to use up 70% of a full battery by lunch. Then my phone will die before it hits 30%. I think i'm gonna make the jump back to android but I have a few questions. I currently have an out of contract plan with Verizon. If I buy a used unlocked android phone should I be able to switch it to Verizon? Also, What should I be looking for in the used $150-$200 range? Any input would be appreciated.

all phones from last gen are around 200 bucks used. I.E lg g4, moto phones , xiomi phones. honestly you can get phones powered by 808 or 650 for around that price.

Jeffrey

yep.

SD808 with 3 gb of ram is great for most people still. Android is gonna keep getting lighter, while midrange processors get quicker.

nexus 5p is often on sale for $250. Something worth looking at.

Jeffrey

I read the Zenfone 2 was one of the worst phones off all time along with G4. I would never trust Asus with my phone affter that shitty Nexus 7-1.

think it was due to the intel chip? 2016's are standard snapdragon stuff.

Never been a big fan of their phones, but Zen UI is still probably my second favorite launcher outside of nova. Really cool they just let any device use their stuff unlike all other OEM.

edit: LG G5 new on ebay for $410 if anyone cares anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG-G5-H...32GB-Dual-SIM-16MP-Module-phone-/322111160832

longdi

Banned
Seeing the Pokemon Go craze and that IP68 will be a big thing once Ip7 launches, it sure is fml for sony mobile.

My z2 have AR and IP ratings, sony was ahead of the rest.

thuway

Just handson the note 7, yeah the symmetrical curved front+black glass and slightly thicker metal frame makes the phone felt more comfortable and substantial/classy than s7e.

And btw here is a photo of oled burn-in of the s7e on display. Faint in photo but fairly obvious in the actual set. ;)

Could this be a Samsung thing?

http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

Edit: Yeah something to that effect. LG's OLED panels offer a pretty healthy lifeline when it comes to burn-in. I wish Samsung's Panels were higher quality because the Mura effect I have on my OLED Vita and the image retention on my Galaxy Note 3 - really make me upset sometimes.

thuway

Palmos is so slick and smooth that Apple and Android both cribbing that corpse these days.

Axon7 vs zenfone 3.

https://youtu.be/6YPwnLwh3pk

We really are at the point where midrange cpu are good enough for 99% of people.

Honestly the only reason I keep buying flagships is in the vein hopes that there is a developer community behind the phone that gives it years of life ahead of it's intended schedule. My Galaxy Note 3 running Marshmallow is pure joy. Thanks to the "removable" battery it's always been on the up and up.

OK, believe it or not, I got some deodorant on my Axon 7's phone speaker. There is a little bit dabbed in two holes. Is there something I can rub in there to dissolve it? I don't want to tear my phone up.

Speaking of image retention...my LG v10 just started doing that. Whatever Quantum screen theyre using is really...killing my vibe. So I picked up a Moto z and what surprised me is how much of a difference two generations after my v10s processor feels.

But back to the point...Man ive tried all the tricks and apps to get rid of it..just doesnt work.

thuway

I really want to see LG's OLED panels in their new phones. The number 1 television OLED manufacturer has been using LED/LCD for the majority of their flagship lines :/. I can really appreciate their ethos with the removable battery. Most modern phones are forgoing it, and it is a killer feature for me.

Ty4on

there's no market for small smartphones.

This frustrates me so much.

I tried helping my brother's GF find an Android replacement because her 5S was getting slow and the battery life + 16GB bothered her.
Looked at OnePlus 3, the next Nexus, Huawei for value etc.
Hmm, she has a 5S and I forgot to ask about size.
The iPhone 6 is too big for you?...
...iPhone SE? The 64GB version isn't a total ripoff...

The Xperia compacts show that small phones can be fast and have great battery life.

Ty4on

I don't want phones wider than 70mm. I don't wanna use them two handed all the time.

If I could choose the screen I'd get a ~4.7 720p calibrated IPS display. I can't see the pixels and want as much performance as possible.

vivftp

Apparently more pics of the Xperia XR courtesy of OnLeaks
https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/762346671422443522

Sony_Xperia_XR_1.jpg

Sony_Xperia_XR_2.jpg

Sony_Xperia_XR_3.jpg

Sony_Xperia_XR_4.jpg

If it can keep the temps down, have a damn good camera, good internals and an overall good battery, and hopefully an affordable price, they may be good again? Who knows haha.

vivftp

Is that supposed to be Sony's new flagship?

Apparently.

There are rumored to be at least 2 units coming - a flagship and a compact. One of them passed through the FCC

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unknown-Sony-Xperia-handset-receives-FCC-certification_id83921

Its codename is Kugo, and apparently the other ones code name is Kagura.

I must say I really like the colour shown in the pics. If a new flagship Ultra came out in that colour option I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

LeleSocho

Banned
I still don't understand how can Sony struggle so much with the smartphone department... After Apple and Samsung they are the ones that can make the most cohesive experience in the industry.
I mean... they make the best camera sensors for phones along with Samsung, they are part of Japan Display so they commission the best display they can produce, the SoC choice is monopolized by Snapdragons so you are on par with everyone that doesn't make custom stuff, they are frigging Sony so great audio should never be a problem.
They just have to spend some money on software optimization for their hardware and bring their best team of designers to do their flagships.

It's mind blowing.

Blitzhex

I want to get a note7 just because the form factor is so much better than my Nexus 6p. Narrower phone and curved edges (bezeless-like) are so much better to hold than the chamfered squarish edges of the 6p.

It's been out for a few days here and it's awesome. The one con it has and the only thing stopping me from buying it is that shitty TouchWiz. The design language is incoherent. Different fonts and font sizes everywhere. Generic looking icons can be fixed with launchers, but you can't get rid of all of the TouchWiz elements and a lot of the bloat that depend on each other and can't be uninstalled.

The hardware is just so good though. Are there any good stock-like roms that come out for exynos galaxy phones?

manakel

So with the news that the iPhone 7 will most likely be dropping the headphone jack, I've been eyeing the Samsung Note 7 and I'm seriously contemplating getting the phone. I have until September to decide, but I'm going to go to Best Buy soon and mess with it a bit to see how I like it.

For those of you that have made the switch from iPhone to Android before, how hard is the transition? How does messaging on Android compare to iMessage on the iPhone? And how are apps like instagram and snapchat on Android compared to the iPhone?

Jeffrey

So with the news that the iPhone 7 will most likely be dropping the headphone jack, I've been eyeing the Samsung Note 7 and I'm seriously contemplating getting the phone. I have until September to decide, but I'm going to go to Best Buy soon and mess with it a bit to see how I like it.

For those of you that have made the switch from iPhone to Android before, how hard is the transition? How does messaging on Android compare to iMessage on the iPhone? And how are apps like instagram and snapchat on Android compared to the iPhone?

took me roughly, a day to figure out android, its not that different.

messaging is fine, but make sure to disable imessage so your friends won't be sending stuff to a notexisting thing.

most apps are fine. snapchat is pure garbage though.

Top Bottom