• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

It's not because developers are incompetent. It is significantly more challenging to support Android compared to iOS.

There's literally hundreds of devices to test and troubleshoot, but only a handful of iOS devices.

iOS games run native code and hook into very specific APIs optimized specifically for the device and the platform; many Android games run on Java over OpenGL taking huge performance hits. Once Vulkan is ready and deployed on a majority of devices being shipped, performance should improve across the board, though.

Finally, there's probably more resources being poured into iOS development since it's generally more profitable for developers (or at least it's perceived as such). So Android versions are often delayed and probable subject to less bug testing and less stringent QA. I bet that most games have twice as many people working on the iOS version than the Android version, which is probably ported over by just a handful of developers.

True, but at this point, the amount of games out there that a SD820 can't brute force to a decent framerate gotta be REALLY limited right?

And I really doubt the games that i'm struggling with will get vulkan lol.

Noema

True, but at this point, the amount of games out there that a SD820 can't brute force to a decent framerate gotta be REALLY limited right?

Resolution has increased geometrically in the past 4 years but GPU speeds have only increased linearly (or in the case of the SD810, barely at all).

Jeffrey

Resolution has increased geometrically in the past 4 years but GPU speeds have only increased linearly (or in the case of the SD810, barely at all).

The games I have issue are all 2d with resolution targeting iphone 5. Think the issue is they are single threaded on Android.

Saiyan-Rox

Synapse of what;s been happening since the other day

Both my Pixel C and OP3 are no longer showing up on ADM and the Pixel C isn't showing up on the N Beta opt in site. Factory reset both, delete backups and still nothing.

Have my GF sign into my Pixel and it shows up on her ADM and the beta opt in site. remove her account and add mine without reseting and it stops showing on hers and doesn't show up on my account. while I wait for Google to ring me back I decide to put my Pixel C back a few builds to see if I can still at least get OTA.

Sign in load it up and get an OTA message....for the N Beta...and it's still not showing up on the beta opt in site and it didn't want to go to the N beta from the August build.

Just to check I also signed into my GF's old Nexus 4 and it also too doesn't appear in ADM at all.

I'm so fucked off

I see mostly reviews of the S model. Spec wise its about the same as last year's with a smaller... battery.

It's only coming to the US on cricket wireless though. Guess the 4S is there main push.

Man is it fucking annoying that phones need to get whitelisted to get 60fps/1440p+ video on youtube. At least for one plus 3, you can root it and spoof it to think its a galaxy s7 or something.

Not sure who to blame, google or ZTE. Really should have got this shit together before launching the phone.
meh, will not upgrade this year then

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nexus2cee_lg-v20-play-more-668x668.png

don't flub this LG

thuway

The ZTE Axon 7 is literally mind boggling. How the hell did this thing come out of no where and manage to one up pretty much all the major manufacturers ? I am normally a guy who buys the Note line, but even this year's Note feels like a damn rip off compared to the Axon 7/ OP3 / Redmi Note.

It has the best audio on ANY device under MULTIPLE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.
It has a Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB of RAM - with a 6 GB of RAM option for only 50 bucks more.
It comes with a 2 year accidental warranty, a case, AND a screen protector PreINSTALLED.

FUCK ZTE FUCK O_O

Jeffrey

The ZTE Axon 7 is literally mind boggling. How the hell did this thing come out of no where and manage to one up pretty much all the major manufacturers ? I am normally a guy who buys the Note line, but even this year's Note feels like a damn rip off compared to the Axon 7/ OP3 / Redmi Note.

It has a Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB of RAM - with a 6 GB of RAM option for only 50 bucks more.
It comes with a 2 year accidental warranty, a case, AND a screen protector PreINSTALLED.

FUCK ZTE FUCK O_O

can't get the 6gb version internationally. the warranty is nice, but you still have to pay a deductible for accidental stuff I think.

Mine didn't come with a screen protector preinstalled? It had some shitty film on it that I took off.

can't get the 6gb version internationally. the warranty is nice, but you still have to pay a deductible for accidental stuff I think.

Mine didn't come with a screen protector preinstalled? It had some shitty film on it that I took off.

I believe that is the aforementioned screen protector. The Oneplus 3 came with it too but it's shit so I took it off.

FUCK ZTE FUCK O_O

I like my phones to be cheap and Chinese. I'm a total convert now. I also won't buy anything without a metal body because of ZTE.

tzare

is the axon available in Euroland??

BTW, i saw a review, but it has one thing i can't stand: no notifications on lock screen (needs to touch an icon on the top lef, stupid imo). Reminds me of huawei's EMUI. Can this be disabled somehow. The point of notifications on lock screen is to see them fast.

I still plan to buy a Note 7, but only if it is cheaper on my carrier.

tzare

same as in spain, unavailable.
Any serious camera review for the Axon?
Despite the samsung hate, and overpricing, must say it is really more appealing: waterproof , excellent camera and samsung pay already available in Spain is really interesting for me.
And my note 4 still rocks.... maybe should wait for note 8?

Any real improvement on SoC department for next year? seems everything has slowed down since 820 and samsung's own exynos powering S7 were released.Even the nexus will probably be using 820 7 months later.

Jeffrey

is the axon available in Euroland??

BTW, i saw a review, but it has one thing i can't stand: no notifications on lock screen (needs to touch an icon on the top lef, stupid imo). Reminds me of huawei's EMUI. Can this be disabled somehow. The point of notifications on lock screen is to see them fast.

I still plan to buy a Note 7, but only if it is cheaper on my carrier.

Nope. it's dumb. You can just use a 3rd party lock screen though. I still rarely see the lock screen anyways because I just use the fingerprint scanner to automatically go from black screen to homepage.

tzare

Nope. it's dumb. You can just use a 3rd party lock screen though. I still rarely see the lock screen anyways because I just use the fingerprint scanner to automatically go from black screen to homepage.

do 3rd parties lock screens work decently these days? i couldn't use any on my huawei but haven't tried any for a while. Are those compatible with fingerprint scanner??

Jeffrey

do 3rd parties lock screens work decently these days? i couldn't use any on my huawei but haven't tried any for a while. Are those compatible with fingerprint scanner??

ive been using microsoft's. It works with the fingerprint scanner kinda. It really is just a lockscreen on the normal lockscreen lol, so fingerprint is a bit slower because it goes from MS lockscreen -> normal lockscreen -> unlocked.

A bit clunky but fine.

Asgaro

It's 2016 and PayPal still doesn't support 2FA outside of the US...
On top of that, even in the US the feature is quite weirdly executed, so I've read.

Elon Musk, bruh... I like what you're doing with SpaceX and Tesla, but it's time to fix this major flaw.

tzare

I wish this was real

fi9NyPa.jpg

and supported wireless charging.

I'd probably sell my S7 immediately, and I haven't even received it yet.

Both the S7 and Note 7 support wireless charging don't they? I guess S8 will too.

I'd rather choose waterproofing over wireless charging though

ANd also google should setp up their game with battery capacity. At least 3000mAh for the 5 inch one please.

Jeels

Well, I jumped in on an HTC 10 despite not liking this new wave of larger screens. :(

At least it's a super pretty looking phone.

Anyone have any good case recommendations? Mine is nekkid right now...!

tzare

Well, I jumped in on an HTC 10 despite not liking this new wave of larger screens. :(

i will never understand why people care so much about how good a phone looks and then hide it with a case.
I mean, i understand trying to keep it safe from accidental drops but then why care about how it looks like.

Just a question i ask myself every now and then, I use my note 4 without any case btw

Quixzlizx

It's 2016 and PayPal still doesn't support 2FA outside of the US...
On top of that, even in the US the feature is quite weirdly executed, so I've read.

Elon Musk, bruh... I like what you're doing with SpaceX and Tesla, but it's time to fix this major flaw.

There's no way to whitelist individual computers/ip addresses, from what I can tell. You need to enter in a texted code every time you log in.

My Note 5 has been annoying me as of the past few weeks.

1) My widgets all disappeared. I found a solution to reset icons and that fixed it but I would have rather put the widgets back in since literally everything got reset.

1.1) My widgets disappeared again after about a week from resetting the icons!!!!!!

2) My phone doesn't charge in "Fast Charge" so many times unless I turn it off or restart it. A pretty big annoyance.

i will never understand why people care so much about how good a phone looks and then hide it with a case.
I mean, i understand trying to keep it safe from accidental drops but then why care about how it looks like.

Just a question i usually ask myself, since i use my note 4 without any case.

I just use a case for protection, I've never really cared about how a phone looks so I definitely prioritize protecting my expensive gadget that I use more than any other device I own.

But my S7 Edge I actually needed a case so that I could hold it comfortably. The sides are so tiny that the edges of my fingers and my palm would touch the screen slightly when I hold it. My Spigen case made it much more comfortable to use.

tzare

I just use a case for protection, I've never really cared about how a phone looks so I definitely prioritize protecting my expensive gadget that I use more than any other device I own.

But my S7 Edge I actually needed a case so that I could hold it comfortably. The sides are so tiny that the edges of my fingers and my palm would touch the screen slightly when I hold it. My Spigen case made it much more comfortable to use.

That is my point, sometimes people care so much about the design, metal, glass etc etc but then need a case that hides all that. Or even may help with the grip, i really love how my note 4 is not a slippery phone.
In fact i can see myself buying a case if i end purchasing the note 7, those edge screens and the glass back seem to be the perfect design for accidental drops

Jeels

Just a question i ask myself every now and then, I use my note 4 without any case btw

Well, if it ends up providing some harmony to my decision, the case I ended up finding and going with is completely transparent.

The reason I want a case is that it does help absorb some damage from things like the phone getting knicked in my pocket and when I drop it. I dropped by Xperia X3c several times which necessitated buying this phone...

I'm looking to upgrade this month, I'm still on contract pricing with Verizon so the phones are subsidized still. What is my best bet this month? Is it the Note 7? Wait for the V20? My wife as the V10 and its been problematic thus far.

demented

Fucking phone lost me big post ffs.
So I'll just sum it up: axon 7 VS oneplus 3 vs New nexus vs s7edge.
Problem with first 3 is they likely won't ship here plus possible customs and taxes if they do but could use forwarding company to ship from USA for a fee. Really curious about new nexus but won't know much for at least a month or more. Axon seems like best option spec wise but not sure about resale later and current phone is pissing me off and only gonna go down in value from here, still worth around 150E tho.

That is my point, sometimes people care so much about the design, metal, glass etc etc but then need a case that hides all that. Or even may help with the grip, i really love how my note 4 is not a slippery phone.
In fact i can see myself buying a case if i end purchasing the note 7, those edge screens and the glass back seem to be the perfect design for accidental drops

There's a ton of cases that are clear and you can still see the phone.

Priz

Been using this one and been really happy with it - http://www.spigen.com/products/htc-10-case-neo-hybrid?variant=17254899905

Bought it on amazon for $15 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAN1XPE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also bought this car charger w/QC3.0 and have been really happy with how quickly it works compared to the one I bought on sale at Fry's for my OPO -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DEUUUG6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Picked up this screen protector and so far it's worked good for me - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0UW44V2686

Mrg8523-

Did they change some settings in Google Play Music recently? It won't stream when I'm on my data network. It'll only play downloaded music. I have a subscription and all the "only stream on wifi" stuff is turned off. I haven't made any changes in the settings and it's worked fine for years until earlier this week.

Jeels

Been using this one and been really happy with it - http://www.spigen.com/products/htc-10-case-neo-hybrid?variant=17254899905

Bought it on amazon for $15 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAN1XPE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also bought this car charger w/QC3.0 and have been really happy with how quickly it works compared to the one I bought on sale at Fry's for my OPO -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DEUUUG6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Picked up this screen protector and so far it's worked good for me - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0UW44V2686

Hey Priz! Thanks. Picking up that car charger since I'll need one now (didn't realize 3.0 ports were not backwards compatible with old USB cables...)

This is the case I ended up going with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DK40VHO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 since I wanted something that would show off the back/sides.

Blitzhex

If the nexus 6p doesn't get fingerprint swipe, night mode, double tap ambient, I'm going to be mad. I don't know why it wouldn't be available to everyone as android n features anyway? AP keeps saying they are new nexus exclusive features.

My Note 5 has been annoying me as of the past few weeks.

1) My widgets all disappeared. I found a solution to reset icons and that fixed it but I would have rather put the widgets back in since literally everything got reset.

1.1) My widgets disappeared again after about a week from resetting the icons!!!!!!

2) My phone doesn't charge in "Fast Charge" so many times unless I turn it off or restart it. A pretty big annoyance.

sounds like you need to RMA it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the nexus 6p doesn't get fingerprint swipe, night mode, double tap ambient, I'm going to be mad. I don't know why it wouldn't be available to everyone as android n features anyway? AP keeps saying they are new nexus exclusive features.
I wouldn't understand, either. Doesn't seem like a hardware issue, so the OS should enable it on compatible hardware phones just fine.

Top Bottom