• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple does it
Yeah, Google does eventually come around to the Apple way. After all the Android users say why Google's different way is better. Then Google finally sees the light, changes course, and no one acts like the old way was a thing. For example, shitty 16:9 tablets.

So maybe you're right.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah, Google does eventually come around to the Apple way. After all the Android users say why Google's different way is better. Then Google finally sees the light, changes course, and no one acts like the old way was a thing. For example, shitty 16:9 tablets.

So maybe you're right.

You seem to always hate on Google/Android I don't understand why you continue to use it.

Jeffrey

Ios and Android just trade features and philosophies every year these days.

Still find it hilarious how ios basically stole androids multitasking carrisol but horizontal which is way worse than their old thing lol. And now they are doing a Google now thing.

While android is stealing spit screen from... Who did that first, note?

Some Marlin information coming out. Source is the guy who distributed the Nexus Launcher APK and also a developer on Pure Nexus ROM (According to Reddit). Some of the less technical stuff since I do not quite understand all that mumbo jumbo is below.

-The screen is a Samsung AMOLED panel and the model number matches what the Axon 7 is using (Possibly the same display?).
-The rear camera sensor model number makes it sound like a new/reworked version of the sensor that the Nexus 5X/6P/HTC 10 used.
-Said "Guaranteed" that it will be available in carrier stores.
-It has APK's for propriety SystemUI and Settings which may further confirms the exclusive features like "Night Mode".

Gotta say...I'm a little antsy about the carrier store thing. If that ends up meaning carrier's have any control over the updates it will really ruin the whole point of Nexus phones. Also, the last time a Nexus was sold by carriers it was expensive as hell.

Some Marlin information coming out. Source is the guy who distributed the Nexus Launcher APK and also a developer on Pure Nexus ROM (According to Reddit). Some of the less technical stuff since I do not quite understand all that mumbo jumbo is below.

-The screen is a Samsung AMOLED panel and the model number matches what the Axon 7 is using (Possibly the same display?).
-The rear camera sensor model number makes it sound like a new/reworked version of the sensor that the Nexus 5X/6P/HTC 10 used.
-Said "Guaranteed" that it will be available in carrier stores.
-It has APK's for propriety SystemUI and Settings which may further confirms the exclusive features like "Night Mode".

Gotta say...I'm a little antsy about the carrier store thing. If that ends up meaning carrier's have any control over the updates it will really ruin the whole point of Nexus phones. Also, the last time a Nexus was sold by carriers it was expensive as hell.

I think it may mean that you can still buy the phones outright at carrier stores. Maybe they got something like Apple where they can sell basically the same iPhone to all carriers, in their stores and also have all the same builds/software/etc (no bloatware)? Also, reworking the current camera to be better and using the Axon 7's 1440p screen (which is Samsung's) I find is a good thing. Cost effective for things that are out now, but both are known to perform very well. I'm sure the 6P camera is still up there with the best.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You seem to always hate on Google/Android I don't understand why you continue to use it.
You think criticism is hate. Somehow, and I've owned an Android phone since the G1, they've come to agree with me on many things. Again, tablet aspect ratio.

Cake Boss

Banned
I wish this was real

fi9NyPa.jpg

and supported wireless charging.

I'd probably sell my S7 immediately, and I haven't even received it yet.

I just ordered this last week. Can't wait for it. Got it mostly for its design and was very comfortable to hold my coworkers version. Also its only $299.

nextbit-robin-ember-press-render-combined.jpg

eerik9000

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain from the 9th of this month will not be able to buy OnePlus3 until September 12th

http://9to5google.com/2016/08/03/oneplus-3-sales-halt-europe/

A bit strange selection of countries. Only UK, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland remain unrestricted. I can understand the first two being major markets, but the three relatively small Nordics over France, Italy, and Spain? Though it's nice to see poor Estonian peasants treated the same as the French. Anyways, I got mine over three weeks ago and they even shipped it a week earlier than their initial projected date.

delirium

I spilled some water on my Nexus 6 (I got it for $200 9 months ago) and now its not able to receive a signal from T-mobile. WiFi works fine but I can't call or text anyone.

What do you guys recommend, buy a cheap phone and wait for the new Nexus?

I spilled some water on my Nexus 6 (I got it for $200 9 months ago) and now its not able to receive a signal from T-mobile. WiFi works fine but I can't call or text anyone.

This thread has been about the ZTE AXON 7 for awhile. I'm not sure how to answer with any other phone recommendation. Lol

So maybe you're right.

I'm just surprised you cared since you consider iPhones often.

What's funny is you are full on ranting when we don't even know the truth.

When google acts like apple you people bitch. When google doesn't act like apple you bitch.

Read the news. It's not the water.

But yes new nexus when ready.

Bboy AJ

I just ordered this last week. Can't wait for it. Got it mostly for its design and was very comfortable to hold my coworkers version. Also its only $299.

nextbit-robin-ember-press-render-combined.jpg
I'm jealous. That's a great phone.

I'm just surprised you cared since you consider iPhones often.

What's funny is you are full on ranting when we don't even know the truth.

When google acts like apple you people bitch. When google doesn't act like apple you bitch.
I'm not ranting. No one is, actually.

Noema

Wait for the new Nexus. They are less than two months away. You can do it.

Also...

VoxPop

Is the OP3 still a good value? Thinking of ordering one tomorrow. Reviews seem pretty favorable. Just need a good battery and camera.

reKon

Banned
If I had to buy a cheap flagship phone... and didn't already own an S7.... I'd still wait for that Slickdeal to come back just buy the Int'l Galaxy S7 for $430, lol...

Worth the $30-$80 price difference over the Axon/ One Plus 3 (I assume that by that the S7 is regularly at $430, there will be sales for the other phones at $350)

Quasar

Yeah, Google does eventually come around to the Apple way. After all the Android users say why Google's different way is better. Then Google finally sees the light, changes course, and no one acts like the old way was a thing.

I see that more on the Apple side. Which for some I guess makes the desire to switch to android less.

Bboy AJ

I see that more on the Apple side. Which for some I guess makes the desire to switch to android less.
They're both ridiculous. Both OSes do great things while having other things absolutely wrong.

MANUELF

Banned
Hopefully this damn Moto 4G Plus is worth it because the darned thing is making too many problems and I dont even have it yet

Quasar

They're both ridiculous. Both OSes do great things while having other things absolutely wrong.

Certainly. Refusing to accept better methods just because its not developed in house or its a foreign idea has always seemed dumb to me going right back to the 1 button mouse. So I was happy seeing things like all the notification stuff finally turning up on iOS. The whole 'start your photocopies' antagonism was always dumb.

Asgaro

I like my phones to be cheap and Chinese. I'm a total convert now. I also won't buy anything without a metal body because of ZTE.

My mom's old clamshell Samsung phone died (finally) a month ago.

I was expecting her to choose either a Samsung or an iPhone since those are the two most well known manufacturers.

But nope, she wanted a Huawei. She heard good things about it from her colleagues.
China is coming in hot. And I support this as long as it's quality.

I'm eyeing towards Xiaomi if they ever make a 5" device that fully supports the LTE bands in Europe, with a 4000+ mAh battery.

I'd love a red nexus like the 5. Shame they didn't do it with the 5X.

I love my red Nexus 5. They were pretty lazy with the 5X. I was shocked when I found out that the mint and white versions only had a different colored back, with a regular black frame. Such a low effort.

Groof

So I check Google fit and it tells me I've been running for 19 hours straight.

I think they need to work on their activity detection

My mom's old clamshell Samsung phone died (finally) a month ago.

I was expecting her to choose either a Samsung or an iPhone since those are the two most well known manufacturers.

But nope, she wanted a Huawei. She heard good things about it from her colleagues.
China is coming in hot. And I support this as long as it's quality.

I'm eyeing towards Xiaomi if they ever make a 5" device that fully supports the LTE bands in Europe, with a 4000+ mAh battery.

Its gotta be the EMUI

Bboy AJ

I wonder why no one has copied Apple Watch band compatibility. Maybe it's patented.

Samsung files patent for interchangeable smartwatch bands using Apple Watch sketches
Samsung-Apple-Watch-patent-3.png

Isn't this a very stupid thing to do after fighting all these lawsuits by Apple, some of which they lost?

Unless of course they plan on making interchangeable bands for the Apple Watch.

Did you look how those cases turned out? They took forever and did not go very well for apple. Samsung invalidated a bunch of Apples patents too.

Who knows if apples interchangeable watch patent is even valid.

Jeffrey

My friend makes so much cash doing patent law lol. Sounds like the most dull thing ever, but it pays the bills quite well.

Rafy

Did you look how those cases turned out? They took forever and did not go very well for apple. Samsung invalidated a bunch of Apples patents too.

Who knows if apples interchangeable watch patent is even valid.

Yes, I did know how the cases turned out. My point wasn't about who lost and who won, but how long those cases took to resolve, which you also brought up.

My question would be, why risk provoking Apple by using one of their devices in a patent design, especially if it is a patent similar to one Apple has already.

Yes, I did know how the cases turned out. My point wasn't about who lost and who won, but how long those cases took to resolve, which you also brought up.

My question would be, why risk provoking Apple by using one of their devices in a patent design, especially if it is a patent similar to one Apple has already.

because they think they can win?

Top Bottom