• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

rc213

'fast charging' is about 0.5C charging which is within the maximum which is about 0.75C.

Shouldn't have any noticeable impact on battery life over anything else that affects battery life.

Also don't listen to people swear by 'have to do full discharges to save battery life' or really any other myths.

my not fast-charging iphone has shit battery life around when the 1 year warranty expired lol.

QC gotten better each iteration with power and efficiency.

Does nexus even use snapdragon QC though? Thought it was just normal usb-c.

It has fast charging whatever google created just for the 6P/5X. Which sucks cause trying to get 3rd party chargers or battery packs is a crapshoot.

Asgaro

I wonder what Pokémon Go will do with people's batteries?
- Device in a heated state (*)
- Fast discharge
- Continuous simultaneous charge if you use powerbank

(*) In the winter this will actually be nice: you can warm your hands anywhere in a wimp!

'fast charging' is about 0.5C charging which is within the maximum which is about 0.75C.

Shouldn't have any noticeable impact on battery life over anything else that affects battery life.

Also don't listen to people swear by 'have to do full discharges to save battery life' or really any other myths.

my not fast-charging iphone has shit battery life around when the 1 year warranty expired lol.

QC gotten better each iteration with power and efficiency.

Does nexus even use snapdragon QC though? Thought it was just normal usb-c.

Not according to the latest list of devices

Groof

I just replaced my note 4 battery for a new one a few days ago. Did the same thing. I took some screen shots of the battery screen but the guy at the Samsung stand i went just believed me and replaced it at no cost. I love having two year warranty here in Spain. So my almost two years old phone feels like new:)

Maybe fast charging harms batteries faster than standard charging.

Blessed EU I also have 2 year warranty. Nice to hear that it went so smooth for you :)

I'm thinking it might be a combination of fast charging as well as the 810 chip. I'm quite a heavy user and my phone tends to heat up a lot. Can't be too good for the battery.

g0tm1lk

Looks like bootloader unlock for Axon 7 is available, but it voids your warranty.. that is kind of shitty.

Why? you know what you get when you buy it. If you unlock the bootloader you lose the minimum security you can have and you can cause damage to your device because you probably have no idea what you're actually doing to your device when you "root" it.

mackattk

Why? you know what you get when you buy it. If you unlock the bootloader you lose the minimum security you can have and you can cause damage to your device because you probably have no idea what you're actually doing to your device when you "root" it.

Well, it should still cover the hardware on the phone. If something happens to the camera, display, buttons, etc., that is a hardware issue and not software, so it shouldn't have anything to do with unlocking the bootloader. The other point is that the Axon 7 comes with the Passport 2.0 warranty, which offers unlimited out of warranty repairs, so if you throw your phone in the toilet or drop and shatter the screen ,it is just a $79 deductible. You should AT LEAST have the passport 2.0 warranty, but it looks like unlocking the bootloader voids everything.

Software wise, it is almost impossible to brick your device, you can always go back to the ZTE stock rom image, and more than likely even unroot the device. I have rooted and played around with custom roms for almost every android device I have owned, so I kind of do have an idea of what I am doing.

Talon

Bro, I'm not giving up my Fidelio X1's.

Also I actually do have a pair of Bluetooth sports headphones I use for running, a $10 Bluetooth speaker I picked up at Best Buy to blast random tunes at work, and I have tried streaming to the built-in Bluetooth receiver on my Denon X4200W receiver. My parents have a recent model Toyota Sienna minivan which has Bluetooth and I've played some music over that too. I'm no wireless Luddite.

The reality is that Bluetooth audio quality is pretty shit, the connection cuts out all the time on both the expensive receiver and the moderately priced minivan pretty much whenever it feels like it resulting in music skipping, and it fucking kills my phone's battery. I'm sorry, I'll take a decades-old reliable connection from the headphone jack in my phone to my headphones, speakers, or receivers any day of the week over Bluetooth for any serious listening.

I do love running with my Bluetooth sports headphones though, the wire does get in the way during that one single scenario and let's face it, I'm not listening seriously to anything when I'm putting the miles in on my treadmill or the pavement so the audio quality is meaningless during that one activity.

Everything else, Bluetooth can go fuck itself. I'll use that 3.5mm AUX port until the day I die. You'll pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Kills your phone battery? What are you smoking? BLE hardly uses anything.

If you care about hifi, you'll find a USB-C/lightning converter. If you care about convenience, you'll use bluetooth.

I find that I have less and less time to sit down and just listen to the highest quality music. I mostly use headphones now when a) traveling or b) working, in which case a) I can't use open ear cans because I'm not an asshole and b) noise cancelling has a much greater value to me than quality.

Got the QC35s recently. Sennheiser cans obviously sound better (Bose is always so weak up top and down low), but the noise cancelling and wireless convenience is baller as hell on flights or in a noisy open office.

And, yes, I pay more for headphones than most of the Android devices talked about here. Burn me at a stake if you must.

Sidenote - just checked the price of Fidelio X2s. Damn, the bottom has really dropped on open ear cans. X2s started at $399 and it's only $230 now. o_o

RuGalz

Software wise, it is almost impossible to brick your device, you can always go back to the ZTE stock rom image, and more than likely even unroot the device. I have rooted and played around with custom roms for almost every android device I have owned, so I kind of do have an idea of what I am doing.

Technically you could overclock the phone too much and destroy the hardware for example. There's no guarantee that user doesn't do stupid things once the bootloader is unlocked. Is there anyone else beside HTC that honors warranty after bootloader unlock?

mackattk

Technically you could overclock the phone too much and destroy the hardware for example. There's no guarantee that user doesn't do stupid things once the bootloader is unlocked. Is there anyone else beside HTC that honors warranty after bootloader unlock?

I guess that is true. The Axon 7 is a pretty niche smartphone, I don't think most of the general public are even aware of its existence. Even then, anyone who wants to unlock the bootloader would probably know what they are doing anyway.

My main issue is nullifying the passport program. If it covers cracked screens, water damage, etc, why wouldn't it cover unlocking the bootloader, especially if you have to pay the deductible? If it wasn't for the passport program I wouldn't have much of a problem with it.

OnePlus, Huawei, Motorola (with dev editions), and Google honor warranties, I believe.

Jeffrey

Do remember this is pretty much the first time ZTE into the unlocked bootloader business. They seem to be open with listening to customer feedback, but even then, reworking some of the warranty stuff will require lawyers and time and what not.

It's a good start though.

Definitely not worth being an early bird, but its worth keeping an ear on the scene. It's good that it basically guarantees a future down the road when your warranty expires and ZTE eventually abandons it software wise.

Axon 7 will still be a kickass phone 2 years from now.

this_guy

I don't think anyone trusts OnePlus with their warranty in the first place. And Motorola is being sued for not honoring warranties/having replacements.

JoeFu

Banned
So is it safe to get an Axon 7? Really tempted lol

Would be coming from a 6P. Probably not worth, but I'm kinda tired of my phone.

Jeffrey

Hardware wise its the best bang for your buck. They seem to be up on updates and are listening to feedback on software improvements.

Long term support no one knows, but if you get tired of a phone in a year, that shouldn't matter.

tzare

Kills your phone battery? What are you smoking? BLE hardly uses anything.

If you care about hifi, you'll find a USB-C/lightning converter. If you care about convenience, you'll use bluetooth.

I find that I have less and less time to sit down and just listen to the highest quality music. I mostly use headphones now when a) traveling or b) working, in which case a) I can't use open ear cans because I'm not an asshole and b) noise cancelling has a much greater value to me than quality.

Got the QC35s recently. Sennheiser cans obviously sound better (Bose is always so weak up top and down low), but the noise cancelling and wireless convenience is baller as hell on flights or in a noisy open office.

And, yes, I pay more for headphones than most of the Android devices talked about here. Burn me at a stake if you must.

Sidenote - just checked the price of Fidelio X2s. Damn, the bottom has really dropped on open ear cans. X2s started at $399 and it's only $230 now. o_o
Do Bluetooth headphones use ble? I thought that was meant for low data usage like smart bands and watches

It's more than safe. I love this phone. None of the concerns have really panned out. It's just hard to purchase at the moment because of the high demand.

Hitta93

Banned

anigif_enhanced-23522-1413260756-5.gif

There's really no need to, but it you can afford it, why not?

JoeFu

Banned
Well I ordered from Newegg. Have no idea how those Monster(lol) headphones are, but I could probably sell them to someone if I don't like.

Noema

Too bad about the voided warranty, but at least they're unlocking the bootloader. The Axon 7 just got much more appealing. I suspect I'll be very popular among the custom ROM community, like the Nexuses and OP phones.

g0tm1lk

Let me know how that works out for you when you flash a bad aboot, tz, ta or sblx partition.

Talon

That's... nowhere near true.

Heavy use of Bluetooth headphones even with BLE is a significant battery life hit, more in an area of heavy wi-fi congestion.
I use bluetooth buds for 2 hours every day commuting to work/at the gym and use my QC35s at my desk about 4 hours every day.

No noticeable impact to my phone. Maybe 5%?

tzare

Supposedly very well in good light. Axon not well in dark/low light. From other reviews. And I think comparisons are with S7.
Yes, they compare with s7 and can't reach similar levels, but that is to be expected for the price.
However i wonder if at least can match previous flagships since i am considering replacing my note 4 and camera is important

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yes, they compare with s7 and can't reach similar levels, but that is to be expected for the price.
However i wonder if at least can match previous flagships since i am considering replacing my note 4 and camera is important

I think your best bet is to juxtapose a S6/S7 review with a Axon/Oppo/S7 review and eyeball sample shots yourself. The only way I can see a S6 comparison is if we see some "same price bracket" approach which is very rare to span generations.

All I can tell you is the Axon 7 camera is a very noticeable leap in quality over the LG G3 camera of two years ago. That camera was supposed to be great at the time.

There's like 4 apps? They must have it good over there if this is bloat.

He listed seven. Most being duplicate apps. They're not a big deal if you can disable them and it's probably not even at the level of Asus's devices. His beef with the nav buttons is warranted though. Just looking at the capactive buttons, I know it would be hard getting used to (and not backlit wtf?)

Jeffrey

He listed seven. Most being duplicate apps. They're not a big deal if you can disable them and it's probably not even at the level of Asus's devices. His beef with the nav buttons is warranted though. Just looking at the capactive buttons, I know it would be hard getting used to (and not backlit wtf?)

theres even a setting in the options to turn on backlit for the buttons so they probably were planning that at some point.

Honestly just wish they were spaced out more. Otherwise I gotten used to them in like 2 days. Can navigate them in the dark easily enough.

I still wish they move the terribly placed 'clear apps' button. I hit that by accident twice now.

Why do phones even need that lol. 4gb of ram. modern OS.

theres even a setting in the options to turn on backlit for the buttons so they probably were planning that at some point.

Honestly just wish they were spaced out more. Otherwise I gotten used to them in like 2 days. Can navigate them in the dark easily enough.

I still wish they move the terribly placed 'clear apps' button. I hit that by accident twice now.

Why do phones even need that lol. 4gb of ram. modern OS.

Sometimes there's a rogue app that can fuck you over and clearing them all makes it easier then trying to figure out what is causing the issue.

Top Bottom