• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

But yeah not many small phones with top specs these days. Has there been any 5in or less phones with 820?

Galaxy S7.

Also the Huawei Honor 8 should be announced next week for the US market. It's 5.2 inches and is basically the P9 but cheaper (glass body vs metal of the P9). It uses their own Kirin chip in the international markets but who knows what it'll use here in the US.

Mindwipe

besides being stock android (which... might be going away with google talking about nexus exclusive features), I can't imagine the new nexus being that much better, or even as good as the OP3 and axon 7.

Nexus have definitely had more misses than hits, and the HTC ones in the past were misses.

"Besides stock Android" is a pretty big deal, and the cameras are likely to be better, plus Daydream support.

The smaller Nexus will also have the benefit of being smaller, though not small enough.

"Besides stock Android" is a pretty big deal, and the cameras are likely to be better, plus Daydream support.

The smaller Nexus will also have the benefit of being smaller, though not small enough.

Camera is better based on what? One year of a decent camera? Nexus phones are notorious for below average cameras.

Jeffrey

OP3 is pretty much stock android with a few little things. Axon is, less so, but workflow is similar enough. Both have unlock bootloader so you can do w/e.

Axon7 has daydream support.

Only real benefit of nexus these days is quick updates from google, security and features.

rc213

Any chance they go Quick Charge 3.0 instead of their own fast charging. Would be so much easier to find car chargers/battery packs/wall chargers.

OP3 is pretty much stock android with a few little things. Axon is, less so, but workflow is similar enough. Both have unlock bootloader so you can do w/e.

Axon7 has daydream support.

Only real benefit of nexus these days is quick updates from google, security and features.

Are the new nexus phones rumored to have micro SD card support? If not, it's a nonstarter for me. I love music and I like to store lots of albums on my phone. The Axon 7 is a true audiophiles phone.

Asgaro

Anyone ever had their countdown in Google Clock not going off? (I've had this for a while now.)
The countdown doesn't go off until I turn on the screen.
Then it beeps as expected, but the notification also completely disappeared.

I've disabled Clock from getting dozed. Also made sure Greenify doesn't have Clock in the list of apps to get hibernated.

Jeffrey

I love how marshmallow added SD card as internal (adaptable) storage option, yet no one could even test it until months later when the first device with sdcard got marshmallow update.

Noema

Anyone ever had their countdown in Google Clock not going off? (I've had this for a while now.)
The countdown doesn't go off until I turn on the screen.
Then it beeps as expected, but the notification also completely disappeared.

I've disabled Clock from getting dozed. Also made sure Greenify doesn't have Clock in the list of apps to get hibernated.

Happens to me all the time. Haven't found a way to solve it.

Hey guys, need some help here with my Nexus 7.

It's starting to get a little long in the tooth, I'm hoping that updating it to Marshmallow will give it a performance boost, even if it is tiny.

Thing is, I'm running Cyanogenmod on it. 5.1.1

I'm on a Mac, and want to go from Cyanogenmod, to Google Stock Android. I'm not able to find any walkthroughs for how to install stock Marshmallow, with a Mac.

Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Noema

Hey guys, need some help here with my Nexus 7.

It's starting to get a little long in the tooth, I'm hoping that updating it to Marshmallow will give it a performance boost, even if it is tiny.

Thing is, I'm running Cyanogenmod on it. 5.1.1

I'm on a Mac, and want to go from Cyanogenmod, to Google Stock Android. I'm not able to find any walkthroughs for how to install stock Marshmallow, with a Mac.

Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There's really not much of a difference whether your are doing it from a Mac, Windows or Linux.

First of all, you need to make sure that ADB and Fastboot are setup on your computer, as well as your device's drivers.

Here are some guides on how to do it:

http://techbeasts.com/how-install-android-adb-fastboot-mac-guide/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1917237

I'm assuming your bootloader is unlocked since you flashed CM.

Once all this is done and properly set up, you should be able to run adb and fastboot commands from your terminal. Reboot into fastboot mode by holding volume down + power.

Type "./fastboot devices" while your phone is plugged to your Mac make sure your Mac can see your tablet while in fastboot mode.

You are now ready to flash the OS. Usually there's a flash all script in the zip files that can do it automatically for you, but I can never get those to work.

If you need to manually flash every component of the OS, you can use this guide. .

Just make sure to add

./

before every command (./fastboot flash system.img instead of fastboot flash system.img) since you are working from a UNIX terminal.

It's really a simple process which should take less than 10 minutes.

Can I just upload the OTA Marshmallow file onto the Tablet, and install it from within the tablet with TWRP?

Seriously, it may seem simple enough to you, but the instructions you listed, or the ones you linked to, are like.... annoying just to look at. I really wish Google would make updating Android actually simple.

Noema

Can I just upload the OTA Marshmallow file onto the Tablet, and install it from within the tablet?

Nope, since you are running CM. You can't flash a stock OTA over a custom ROM.

Do you have custom Recovery like TWRP? Because then it might be easier just to flash the Cyanogenmod 13 ROM over the one you are running now.

If you have Custom Recovery you don't even need your computer for that. Just download the zip, reboot into recovery and flash away.

Seriously, it may seem simple enough to you, but the instructions you listed, or the ones you linked to, are like.... annoying just to look at. I really wish Google would make updating Android actually simple.

It's as simple as it gets with OTA updates. It's not Google's fault you decided to install a custom ROM.

If you have Custom Recovery you don't even need your computer for that. Just download the zip, reboot into recovery and flash away.

It's as simple as it gets with OTA updates. It's not Google's fault you decided to install a custom ROM.

I bought the tablet this way, so technically it's not my fault, but I get your point.

Any how, I've tried this method, and installed CM13, but once Google Play Services gets updated, it all goes to shit. I'm constantly barraged with "Google Play Services has stopped working" error every few seconds, even when I give it full permissions, and turn off the notifications for it.

Seems to be a common problem.

Any suggestions? I appreciate the advice.

Noema

I bought the tablet this way, so technically it's not my fault, but I get your point.

Any how, I've tried this method, and installed CM13, but once Google Play Services gets updated, it all goes to shit. I'm constantly barraged with "Google Play Services has stopped working" error every few seconds, even when I give it full permissions, and turn off the notifications for it.

Seems to be a common problem.

Any suggestions? I appreciate the advice.

You need to flash a newer versin of Google Apps.

Flash CM, wipe cache and data, flash Google Apps.

If this doesn't work, then you'll have to do a clean flash, that is, you'll have to wipe everything, system, data, etc, then flash CM

ag-my001

How do I get rid of this Peel Smart Remote on stock Android (s6 active)? The little notifications were bad enough as I don't use the app, but now it's giving me pop ups with Olympic pictures and stories. All unwanted and unasked for.

Saiyan-Rox

OP released an update and it killed Android Pay....it really bugs me that the software team is the old PA guys cause they either have gotten very lax or they hired the weak parts of the team.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
How do I get rid of this Peel Smart Remote on stock Android (s6 active)? The little notifications were bad enough as I don't use the app, but now it's giving me pop ups with Olympic pictures and stories. All unwanted and unasked for.

I just uninstalled it on my S6 Edge, at least I assume I did bexause it's not there anymore.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC Desire 10 Pro:

HTC-Desire-10-Pro-leak.jpg

why do the desire variants always look better than the flagships?

tzare

It's labeled as a system app, so I assume removing all updates well just make it bug me to update more.
You can disable it. At least on my note 4.
You can also check settings to disable notifications. I'be never seen any unless i had the notification widget turned on

kmfdmpig

they haven't released a high end tablet since the Tab S in 2014.

It's a shame that they went sideways (or even backwards) with the S2. I got a Tab S a while ago and love it, but it would be nice to know that there is a clear upgrade coming or already out. Frankly, I don't see any newer tablets that are a clear step forward in everything I'd want (the CPU/GPU are getting dated, but they're still good enough and the screen is so good).

hodgy100

So my nexus 5 has finally crapped it after 2.5 years the power button still ks and makes the phone go into a boot loop. So I'm in the market for a mid-high end phone that's around £200

The Nexus 5x is tempting be made I love the stok experience but I'll be sacrificed in hardware quality. The huawei 9p lite seems like a good deal at £200 too.

Any recommendations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This 6P is starting to feel slow af when using multi-window.

Noema

So my nexus 5 has finally crapped it after 2.5 years the power button still ks and makes the phone go into a boot loop. So I'm in the market for a mid-high end phone that's around £200

The Nexus 5x is tempting be made I love the stok experience but I'll be sacrificed in hardware quality. The huawei 9p lite seems like a good deal at £200 too.

Any recommendations?

The Huawei 9p lite has good hardware. If you are fine with it never getting any updates ever, go for it.

weird, i swear LG/samsung's implementation of multiwindow was fine years ago.

Works pretty well on my Nexus 6 unless I completely run out of memory, which practically never happens.

Is it me or does the front of the Desire 10 Pro look pretty much identical to the Sailfish/Marlin render Android Police put out? I wonder if this is a possible first look at what they will end up being. If you look at them side by side it looks like exactly the same phone except the Nexus does not have the capacitive buttons on the bottom just empty bezel. Even the antenna lines on the back kind of look similar except whereas the Desire 10 has one going across the top on, the Nexus has that plastic/glass area in the way. With this in mind I wonder if Marlin/Sailfish will use a speaker setup like the HTC 10 since the Desire 10 Pro/10 Lifestyle are expected to use the same setup.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it me or does the front of the Desire 10 Pro look pretty much identical to the Sailfish/Marlin render Android Police put out? I wonder if this is a possible first look at what they will end up being. If you look at them side by side it looks like exactly the same phone except the Nexus does not have the capacitive buttons on the bottom just empty bezel. Even the antenna lines on the back kind of look similar except whereas the Desire 10 has one going across the top on, the Nexus has that plastic/glass area in the way. With this in mind I wonder if Marlin/Sailfish will use a speaker setup like the HTC 10 since the Desire 10 Pro/10 Lifestyle are expected to use the same setup.
Good catch. Looks similar. I'm hoping I have no need to upgrade my 6P but frankly, I hope they give me a reason. Progress tech faster!

Top Bottom