• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Ty4on

at that point, with any os, just hard reboot.

Just give me a warning popup or something though.
I dunno why it can't be like Windows where I open task manager, find the app from its high CPU usage and force quit it. Even if I find it on Android the force quitting often doesn't work.

It feels like on Android when something breaks, everything breaks.

Jeffrey

also with how much 'better android is than ios at being open and shit'

There is a big asterisk as in you can't do shit in modern androids without root.

Heck I think marshmallow completely busted storage viewer. It seems to combine app storage that uses SD as.. internal? idk.

thing is a mess.

Android police posted their axon 7 review.

Some of their complaints had me scratching my head, namely how "bloated" the phone is with apps...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/10/zte-axon-7-review/

I agree that the buttons should be backlit but I have never felt as if they are too close together. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the software and happen to like the messaging and email apps. I thought of it as light in the bloatware department. Heck, I prefer it's UI to my old LG G3, I can tell you that. I just don't get the UI and software complaints overall. The only complaint I have is the notification bell. Other than that, it's excellent and I see these reviewers as weird.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
also with how much 'better android is than ios at being open and shit'

There is a big asterisk as in you can't do shit in modern androids without root.

Heck I think marshmallow completely busted storage viewer. It seems to combine app storage that uses SD as.. internal? idk.

thing is a mess.
Strange comment. I used to root but don't anymore because there's no reason.

I would have expected a futuristic motherfucker to not put up with looking at ads though.

That's the only reason I still root my phone, for that sweet delicious whole-device ad-blocking.

Unfortunately there isn't really any other good simple way to accomplish this besides rooting, since this is done by modifying the Hosts file to redirect a couple hundred thousand ad server domains to null and you need root to see the Hosts file in Android.

Let me know how that works out for you when you flash a bad aboot, tz, ta or sblx partition.

No one should be flashing that kind of stuff to their phones, and if they are, it's because they are trying an unauthorized bootloader unlock anyways and it's dumb to expect your warranty will be honored if you're doing that and screw it up.

Jeffrey

the buttons aren't backlit? that's so budget.

one plus has backlit buttons but 1080p screen and smaller battery.

Samsung galaxy s7 edge has everything but is $800~

Clearly those backlights aren't cheap!

I remember complaining about getting a 16gb moto x pure and lamenting about how it was giving full memory warnings when I clearly was dling stuff to sd card and the storage setting was useless. Had no way to figure out the issue without rooting for more details in the memory.

I would have expected a futuristic motherfucker to not put up with looking at ads though.

That's the only reason I still root my phone, for that sweet delicious whole-device ad-blocking.

Why not just use one of the many chromium forks like

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/tugapower.codeaurora.browser

Thats doesnt block inapp adds though.

Which would be nice, but at this stage I cant be bothered esp if rooting leads to other apps having issues, like banking apps.

All my financial apps work fine. They don't care about root.

However say goodbye to any payment apps. I don't care about those anyways but if you do, you can't root.

$235 USD for me to upgrade my literally deteriorating Z3 (adhesive holding screen to device is wearing off, top of screen no longer connected to device and headphone jack no longer works) to a Nexus 6P, LG G5, or Galaxy S6.

The 6P is worth buying even with Sailfish on the horizon, right? How is battery life?

Mindwipe

Well, there are still a few obvious root functions that need sorting out -
  • Full backup, rather than the mess that is the Marshmallow Drive backup API.
  • A functional and useful battery diagnostic API.
  • Being able to insert new Bluetooth HID device profile (I understand the security implications of not being able to overwrite the ones that exist, but inserting a *new* profile should not require root. It would be trivial to code in Dual Shock 4 support with this...).
  • A full LED control API (let me turn the damned thing off, or put it in stock settings! And yes, OEMs SHOULD do this, but they don't.)
  • All launchers haivng access to Google Now as a -1 page.

wilflare

$235 USD for me to upgrade my literally deteriorating Z3 (adhesive holding screen to device is wearing off, top of screen no longer connected to device and headphone jack no longer works) to a Nexus 6P, LG G5, or Galaxy S6.

The 6P is worth buying even with Sailfish on the horizon, right? How is battery life?

I love my Nexus 6P.
Battery life isn't like super awesome but serviceable

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

G5

You'd be getting a Snapdragon 820 device for dirt cheap.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Why can't you wait? I'd wait.

Well, there are still a few obvious root functions that need sorting out -
  • Full backup, rather than the mess that is the Marshmallow Drive backup API.
  • A functional and useful battery diagnostic API.
  • Being able to insert new Bluetooth HID device profile (I understand the security implications of not being able to overwrite the ones that exist, but inserting a *new* profile should not require root. It would be trivial to code in Dual Shock 4 support with this...).
  • A full LED control API (let me turn the damned thing off, or put it in stock settings! And yes, OEMs SHOULD do this, but they don't.)
  • All launchers haivng access to Google Now as a -1 page.
Good points. You could use Light Flow for LED control.

Hitta93

Banned
When did Android start building their own "Facetime"?

There's no official name, but I've noticed I can video call from between 3 different OEMs no problem.

When did Android start building their own "Facetime"?

There's no official name, but I've noticed I can video call from between 3 different OEMs no problem.

I know LG and Samsung have a video calling thing built right into the dialer for T-Mo. My HTC for some reason doesn't.

I have a Nexus 6 that's updated to the most current operating system. Can someone tell me what's happening when I hold the home button? It seems like a Google card appears and it looks a bit like Google Now.

It scans the screen for text or dates or w/e and give you relevant links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6593OcEtds

doesn't work half the time for me though.

Works much better if you select the text you are interested in and then hold down Home. So you might want a directions to a place, select its name on screen, then activate On Tap rather than let it scan the whole screen for all sorts of other info.

Thanks guys. I remember reading about this awhile back but I completely forgot about it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Weird problem here, I can't get out of silent mode anymore. I mean, technically I am, but the icon is still showing in the status bar, and when I touch it in the tray, nothing happens. I still hear everything fine and can adjust the volume, but if I want my phone to be silent I have to turn the volume all the way down, which is annoying. When I adjust the volume I see the "Silent" and "End Now" info, but nothing happens when I touch that either. Android 6.0.1, Xperia Z5C. Anyone heard about this or know what to do?

I really hope the new Nexus phones deliver. Every other week I go back to re-watching reviews on the OnePlus 3 or Axon 7 and I'm like "Hey I can order a OP3 right now!" and then I remind myself that I really need to wait until the new Nexus phones come out. Really gonna suck if all this waiting is for naught.

Jeffrey

I really hope the new Nexus phones deliver. Every other week I go back to re-watching reviews on the OnePlus 3 or Axon 7 and I'm like "Hey I can order a OP3 right now!" and then I remind myself that I really need to wait until the new Nexus phones come out. Really gonna suck if all this waiting is for naught.

besides being stock android (which... might be going away with google talking about nexus exclusive features), I can't imagine the new nexus being that much better, or even as good as the OP3 and axon 7.

Nexus have definitely had more misses than hits, and the HTC ones in the past were misses.

Jeffrey

https://community.zteusa.com/thread/11614

Since their is a lack of any good cases currently I contacted some manufactureres about if they plan on releasing any products. Here's what I've heard so far:
SPIGEN: In the works
"We are currently discussing with our developers to get some cases out for this device! Please continue to check our facebook page and website for updates. Thank you!"
POETIC: In the works
via miltstgo "Thanks Milton. After seeing the review, we decided to change the project to Revolution instead Affinity since the box already came with a clear TPU back case with film screen protector. The Poetic Revolution offers more protection and gives a more rugged look. Thank you for what you do for the community, we are so lucky to have a tech ambassador like you to point us to the right direction. Cheers! "
RINGKE: Possibly
"Thank you for contacting Ringke store, we are planning on releasing a lot of new products , however , i will past this idea to our development team."
Incipio: None Planned
"Unfortunately at this time we have not recieved word from our product development team regarding if or when we will be releasing cases for the ZTE Axon 7."
VRS Design: None Planned
"Hi, thanks for reaching out! We apologize but we do not have any current plans to produce any cases for the ZTE Axon 7 "
Ballistic: None Planned
via oldirtyewok"Thank you for your interest in our Ballistic cases. Unfortunately, we will not be producing a Ballistic case for the ZTE Axon 7 at this time. However, I will forward your request to our Engineering and Design Team for future considerations."
Other:
dBrand (skins): Currently Available
Skinomi (skins and screen protector) : Currently Available
Waiting for responses: Ringke, Supcase

seems like cases are coming now that manufacturers are seeing the hype for the axon 7.

I'll get the poetic affinity. Love that line.

RuGalz

besides being stock android (which... might be going away with google talking about nexus exclusive features), I can't imagine the new nexus being that much better, or even as good as the OP3 and axon 7.

Nexus have definitely had more misses than hits, and the HTC ones in the past were misses.

Having guaranteed 3 years security update is why I'm waiting for this year's Nexus besides the fact that there's no reasonably priced 5" flagship is in the market currently.

Jeffrey

Having guaranteed 3 years security update is why I'm waiting for this year's Nexus besides the fact that there's no reasonably priced 5" flagship is in the market currently.
I'd argue the batteries on nexus are dead in like 1.5 years ;)

But yeah not many small phones with top specs these days. Has there been any 5in or less phones with 820?

edit: fuck can't find the $75 gift card from B&H. i swore i saw it somewhere a week ago, but been moving stuff around. should have redeemed it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So that new Nvidia Shield Tablet got scrapped.

That means unless you want the Pixel C there hasn't been a tablet released in like over 12 months to buy.

Android Tablets are deader than dead.

Hasney

So that new Nvidia Shield Tablet got scrapped.

That means unless you want the Pixel C there hasn't been a tablet released in like over 12 months to buy.

Android Tablets are deader than dead.

Eh, they left it too late. If they do another tablet, they'll just wait for the Pascal based one.

Top Bottom