• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know if HMX stated that they will be shipping standalone instruments along side the game on sept. 14th. Amazon says stand alone 360 instruments will be shipping on the 14th.

Struct09

BigBlackGamer said:
anyone know if HMX stated that they will be shipping standalone instruments along side the game on sept. 14th. Amazon says stand alone 360 instruments will be shipping on the 14th.

I don't think they've even "officially" announced the release date for the game. It would be pretty crappy if they released the game and standalone instruments on the same day, but held the whole bundle for later.

So very sorry PS3 owners, I'm being a spoiled 360 owner

Struct09 said:
I don't think they've even "officially" announced the release date for the game. It would be pretty crappy if they released the game and standalone instruments on the same day, but held the whole bundle for later.

So very sorry PS3 owners, I'm being a spoiled 360 owner

yea the whole thing seems weird.

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the new drums. My red pad goes berserk if I try to do fast rolls and the little bit of rebound I used to have has disappeared completely.

Guess I'll learn how to play Hard guitar in the meantime.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
sneaky77 said:
They had the wrong date on their own website? :lol

They actually always had the correct date before, but for some reason it suddenly jumped a week for no reason.

Being that we were at like 3 weeks til release date it scared quite a few of us. :lol

This is still one of the reasons why I still won't beleive the 360 bundle is releasing in Oct.

Man, I hope the bundle launches the same day as the stand-alone. I really want the new instruments, especially since I didn't actually buy the first Rock Band. And I don't want to wait an entire month for the awesome new setlist, either. Ah well.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Just listening to the OXM Podcast this week (Rock Band 2 episode http://www.oxmpodcast.com/?p=154) Some confirmed things.

A) Judis Preist - PainKiller is probably going to be the last song on drums.
B) Possibility of all 58 RB1 songs will be avalible for a fee "Under $5"
C) Merchindise creator will be out "around the release of RB2".
D) Endless setlist can be played by yourself on any instrument.

EDIT: E) Endless setlist will only be the 84 songs on disk.

Struct09

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone who has ever cared about the video game Rock Band 2 MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO.

HUGE thanks to BigBlackGamer.

I think Gametrailers has that all in HD if you wanted: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/9023.html (E3 2008: Developer Walkthrough, broken up into 3 parts) It might not be exactly the same thing, but I've seen that video somewhere before.

Good stuff, can't wait for the damn game

Sp3eD said:
D) Endless setlist can be played by yourself on any instrument.

EDIT: E) Endless setlist will only be the 84 songs on disk.

Jesus Christ. I...I guess I'll do it, but wow.

I've watched all the Gametrailers footage ages ago, I don't remember anything too crazy in it. I'm downloading BBG's link now.

DuckRacer

That GameTrailers HD walkthrough only has like 6 minutes worth of footage, even when you include all parts. The SD walkthrough BB originally posted is 23 minutes long.

tl;dr GameTrailers doesn't have the whole walkthrough.

Duck said:
That GameTrailers HD walkthrough only has like 6 minutes worth of footage, even when you include all parts. The SD walkthrough BB originally posted is 23 minutes long.

tl;dr GameTrailers doesn't have the whole walkthrough.

They're best seen complimentarily. The longer video has everything, but the HD one offers tons of great detail. One of the nicest features of the new guitar that I don't think anyone even mentioned is the fact that the Select button is unguarded but the Start button IS guarded, which is really great for people who use Select for Star Power and end up pausing the game all the damn time.

BenjaminBirdie said:
They're best seen complimentarily. The longer video has everything, but the HD one offers tons of great detail. One of the nicest features of the new guitar that I don't think anyone even mentioned is the fact that the Select button is unguarded but the Start button IS guarded, which is really great for people who use Select for Star Power and end up pausing the game all the damn time.
awesome news for me then. Broken tilt = select = select 50% of the time, start the other 50% = :(

I can't stand their justification for not having 8 player online. "lolz, the competition may say two bands is a battle, but we have the whole world maaan!". There's no reason not to have both options.

I do love the sound of their online challenges though. It's the sort of thing I've wanted for awhile.

Also, I just read the first page

BenjaminBirdie said:
What sucks, and what sucks HARD is that Rock Band's 2008 launch investment will cost the same amount as last year's because I'm going to DEFINITELY have to buy a fucking Hard Drive for the 360.

DANG.

Do you not have any DLC?!

TheGreatDave said:
Do you not have any DLC?!

I have like four gigs of it. I ended up buying the HDD this week after all. So I am hell bent for leather for whenever and whatever Harmonix wants to release. Albums, all of Rock Band 1, whatever.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I have like four gigs of it. I ended up buying the HDD this week after all. So I am hell bent for leather for whenever and whatever Harmonix wants to release. Albums, all of Rock Band 1, whatever.

Ahh, funky.

I'm concerned about my hard drive. I've got pretty much all the Rock Band 1 stuff, but if there's 500 songs by the end of the year (plus I'll TOTALLY install RB2 to the hard drive) I'm gonna need a 120gb hard drive. And I die a little thinking about giving Microsoft that kind of money.

TheGreatDave said:
Ahh, funky.

I'm concerned about my hard drive. I've got pretty much all the Rock Band 1 stuff, but if there's 500 songs by the end of the year (plus I'll TOTALLY install RB2 to the hard drive) I'm gonna need a 120gb hard drive. And I die a little thinking about giving Microsoft that kind of money.

I was thinking of starting a new thread about it, because it's fucking criminal that they've saddled users with a 20 gig for like three years now. After just two days or whatever of having a 120 it's like a completely new machine. I can play whatever demos I want, I can download whatever RB tracks I want, Arcade Auto Downloads are fine, I'm getting fucking Venture Brothers episodes in HD every week. It's ridiculous. This is what the 360 Experience is supposed to be and there's just no way to maintain it on just 20 gigs. And to have to pay what I paid, even with an open box discount and recouping money from selling the 20 gig on Amazonk that night is still just obscene.

sneaky77

TheGreatDave said:
Ahh, funky.

You and me both lol.. also GH:WT will have dlc, and installing the games I will play all the time into the HDD is so appealing.. ugh..

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was thinking of starting a new thread about it, because it's fucking criminal that they've saddled users with a 20 gig for like three years now. After just two days or whatever of having a 120 it's like a completely new machine. I can play whatever demos I want, I can download whatever RB tracks I want, Arcade Auto Downloads are fine, I'm getting fucking Venture Brothers episodes in HD every week. It's ridiculous. This is what the 360 Experience is supposed to be and there's just no way to maintain it on just 20 gigs. And to have to pay what I paid, even with an open box discount and recouping money from selling the 20 gig on Amazonk that night is still just obscene.

The really annoying thing is that I think 20GB would probably be alright for me for quite some time. But you don't get 20GB, you get 12. So 4.4GB of Rock Band stuff + 1GB of GH:3 stuff and 0.25GB of GH:2 = nearly half my hard drive gone already.

I know people have posted guides on opening up your 20GB casing and putting a 120GBer in there, which costs a lot less, but I really don't want to risk losing all my precious data...

sneaky77 said:
You and me both lol.. also GH:WT will have dlc, and installing the games I will play all the time into the HDD is so appealing.. ugh..

I'm sure they've done game installing just to make people buy those fucking hard drive. Damn Microsoft.

Okin

I already own RB1, so RB2 is really just a $60 purchase for me, but I become more and more disappointed with the lack of any big redeeming features that make this worthy of an entire new installment number. Almost every gameplay addition seems extremely thin, like it had to be programmed and polished in two months, and most additions were obviously needed by anyone who played Rock Band for more than two weeks.

The game is cheaper than if you had to buy all the songs on DLC, for sure, but I can't help but feel that the majority of things on the disc have been held back from DLC in a rushed attempt at getting some store shelf space before Guitar Hero WT launches.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the GHWT drums on 360 work with RB1 and 2?

Okin said:
I already own RB1, so RB2 is really just a $60 purchase for me, but I become more and more disappointed with the lack of any big redeeming features that make this worthy of an entire new installment number. Almost every gameplay addition seems extremely thin, like it had to be programmed and polished in two months, and most additions were obviously needed by anyone who played Rock Band for more than two weeks.

The game is cheaper than if you had to buy all the songs on DLC, for sure, but I can't help but feel that the majority of things on the disc have been held back from DLC in a rushed attempt at getting some store shelf space before Guitar Hero WT launches.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the GHWT drums on 360 work with RB1 and 2?

They work on RB1, apparently, which means they should work with RB2. We're not sure how the layout will work, or if Harmonix will do any work to make them match up.

The game is basically Rock Band 1.5, but it doesn't really bother me. I like having a new disc and new career, features etc. I don't really understand where the "OMG look how much they've done!" is coming from, but I'm happy with the stuff they've added. I think it's a little thin compared to what they've added to Guitar Hero in a year, but as far as most music game sequels go it adds more than I expect.

DuckRacer

With the whole 120GB hard drive thing, I did some research and saw that you could buy a brand new one in packaging on eBay for like a hundred bucks with the live.com discount and whatever 10% off discount eBay usually runs. But I didn't bite. :x

macewank

Okin said:

I'm not so sure that's the case.. I believe it was Sony who, in response to the announcement of Singstar 2 for PS3, stated that securing licensing for the music in a video game is different based on whether or not it will be "disc based" or "download based" .. more or less saying they have to go through 2 completely different processes to get the rights to release a song depending on the format it's released on.

If I had to guess, RockBand 2 is less about "Sequel" and more about "Fix mistakes" .. They need new instruments. Hands down, without a doubt. The RB1 peripherals, aside from the Mic, are garbage. The USB hub, Guitar, Drums.. All junk. There's a reason they decided to extend the product warranty to 1 year without proof of purchase "as a friendly gesture" ... And I almost fully expect them to extend it further or start replacing Rb1 instruments with RB2 instruments.

Now, I am excited for RB2.. But it does kinda piss me off that some of the new "features" were things that were supposedly going to be patched into the original game (Online Band World Tour for example)

Either way, I'm a sucker, and I'm sure come September I'll be dropping around $200 for RockBand2 and the new instruments

macewank said:
Now, I am excited for RB2.. But it does kinda piss me off that some of the new "features" were things that were supposedly going to be patched into the original game (Online Band World Tour for example)

Anybody who believed that was going to happen was kind of a sucker though. I love how when the music store came out people thought it was going to be some wonderful new world of patching in new features, rather than just an easier way for them to make more money.

macewank

TheGreatDave said:
Anybody who believed that was going to happen was kind of a sucker though. I love how when the music store came out people thought it was going to be some wonderful new world of patching in new features, rather than just an easier way for them to make more money.

Totally agree there.. Well, aside from the sucker thing. I'm pretty niave and trust the devs when they say stuff will happen.

But yeah, the Music Store i totally agree on.. In fact, they should make it even MORE convenient and let me BG DL while I'm using it!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just about the last time my red drum pad stopped responding reliably, the ION drum set was announced. I decided then and there not to repair it for the umpteenth time, and I've since been on a drum sabbatical, which with the release of The Who pack was driving me a little crazy. I've just been running on Expert Guitar since then, waiting as patiently as I can for the new drums.

Then, some friends unexpectedly came over last night, so I did a quick tape fix on the drum, and after they all played around, they asked me to come back, and god damn did it feel good to rip through The Perfect Drug on drums again. They need to bump up this release date or something. I'm jonesing again.

Work faster Harmonix!
I love you

Struct09 said:
They always just said that they would bring it to us in the future (like they said in this article)

I think people assumed they meant a patch.

IGN: And does the inclusion of DLC make it so the BWT can sort of be endless (assuming you buy a lot of DLC)?

Teasdale: Definitely - it means you could even go on a "reunion tour" and play a whole different set of songs to gain more fans!

NOT SO MUCH.

TheGreatDave said:
NOT SO MUCH.

I don't know, the more I see of RB2 in relation to DLC and general song management, the first one is really just a prequel.

a) I can play Band World Tour by myself (EPIC)
b) All new DLC centric, Band centric, Era centric, Everything centric solo challenges (see: EDGE interview last year hinting at how Albums will have a new and unique way to play through and enjoy them)
c) The Merch-O-Matic (anyone got any pictures of the stuff they had at E3 by the way? I read they had band t-shirts and figures and I'm dying to see what they look like.)

It's basically everything they promised before launch.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's basically everything they promised before launch.

That much is true. We'll have to get our hands on the game to know for sure, I'm still worried about exactly how World Tour is going to work, and whether it'll prevent me having to play the same songs numerous times. I'm quite apprehensive of the move to just a BWT style progression. The stuff they're doing outside of BWT is fantastic though.

TheGreatDave said:
That much is true. We'll have to get our hands on the game to know for sure, I'm still worried about exactly how World Tour is going to work, and whether it'll prevent me having to play the same songs numerous times. I'm quite apprehensive of the move to just a BWT style progression. The stuff they're doing outside of BWT is fantastic though.

Do you mean like the Solo Challenge stuff?

As far as I know, BWT is exactly the same, just with more cities and more robust staffing options. Also now capable of being played by a solo person or an online band team.

The Solo Tours are gone, replaced by Solo Challenges that are more similar to BWT but still a totally different thing.

The main gameplay addition seems to be Battle Of The Bands, which is basically like a Forza 2 tournament system.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Do you mean like the Solo Challenge stuff?

As far as I know, BWT is exactly the same, just with more cities and more robust staffing options. Also now capable of being played by a solo person or an online band team.

The Solo Tours are gone, replaced by Solo Challenges that are more similar to BWT but still a totally different thing.

The main gameplay addition seems to be Battle Of The Bands, which is basically like a Forza 2 tournament system.

It's my understanding that the setlists in BWT are now more dynamic in incorporating DLC, so I'm not going to go to cities and having the exact same list of songs to play as somebody that doesn't own any DLC. So London's local favourites doesn't just include the one Who song on the disc, but maybe a Who song I have on my hard drive instead.

I guess I won't mind BWT so much when I'm playing the songs for the first time, but coming from playing the PS2 version of Rock Band for 6 months to playing BWT in the 360 version, I just didn't want to touch any of those on-disc songs.

TheGreatDave said:
It's my understanding that the setlists in BWT are now more dynamic in incorporating DLC, so I'm not going to go to cities and having the exact same list of songs to play as somebody that doesn't own any DLC. So London's local favourites doesn't just include the one Who song on the disc, but maybe a Who song I have on my hard drive instead.

I guess I won't mind BWT so much when I'm playing the songs for the first time, but coming from playing the PS2 version of Rock Band for 6 months to playing BWT in the 360 version, I just didn't want to touch any of those on-disc songs.

Yeah. I do remember them saying the whole way BWT chooses songs is completely revamped, although I'm sure a lot of it by nature focuses on the disc-based tracks, like in the first one. I think most people's beef was with the difficulty of random songs, which I believe they've addressed.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah. I do remember them saying the whole way BWT chooses songs is completely revamped, although I'm sure a lot of it by nature focuses on the disc-based tracks, like in the first one. I think most people's beef was with the difficulty of random songs, which I believe they've addressed.

That was a problem too. Ain't nothing like doing a big setlist and getting RTTH as the final song.

TheGreatDave said:
That was a problem too. Ain't nothing like doing a big setlist and getting RTTH as the final song.

Yeah. Hopefully they've figured out some kind of iTunsian algorithm that will allow them to slightly derandomize the random setlists, especially if we'll be dealing with 500 songs by year's end. Hopefully difficulty will be taken into account.

Belgand

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah. Hopefully they've figured out some kind of iTunsian algorithm that will allow them to slightly derandomize the random setlists, especially if we'll be dealing with 500 songs by year's end. Hopefully difficulty will be taken into account.

Would it really be that hard? Just select as your pool song with a difficulty between X and Y for instrument foo (including "band" as an instrument). This difficulty is already in the game making this almost trivially simple.

McBradders said:
This is why I can't do the Endless Set List, even on hard :(

I don't bother with endless setlist for this reason. I'm fine with pretty much everything on expert guitar bar two or three songs. My girlfriend is fine on expert bass bar one or two songs. I'm fine on hard drums bar one or two songs. So we're always going to be forced to play 95% of the songs on a difficulty level we don't want to play. Endless Setlist makes me sad, cos I'd love to do it, but it's literally an impossible task. I'm glad it's available as single player now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom