• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelter

Banned
I decided to go retail when I heard about the save file protection they put into the eShop version. I've had enough SD cards corrupt on me to make me uncomfortable about having my Animal Crossing town on an SD card I can't back up.

Wat?

Could someone assplain to me?

8BitKO

Neo Member
Omg... YES! I remember you! And Shadow Link, right?! I had a look at your profile and saw Newfoundland and I was thinking... no... it couldn't be. How long has it been now? 7 years? Lol.

Pretty much yeah, greetings from Newfoundland, it seems we've all changed usernames since haha.

Stoof

Castlevania. That game felt like it was just about getting to something good, and then it ends.
100% for a cutscene that shows basic logic wasn't worth it either. >=[
Awww :( If NOA would stop being a butt I would've been able to get AC because of LM2, DKCR, and FE. D:

Darkgran

I decided to go retail when I heard about the save file protection they put into the eShop version. I've had enough SD cards corrupt on me to make me uncomfortable about having my Animal Crossing town on an SD card I can't back up.

Save file protection? Please explain.

LOCK

Why am I so excited for this game...?

This has never happened with an AC game. I've played them all, but this seems different.

Aaaaaah, so that's how they're going to solve SD Card item/pokemon duping in digital versions of Pokémon X/Y.

Fortunately, the only SD Cards that have ever crapped out on me have been when I first received them and had to immediately exchange them.

Pharros

Omg... YES! I remember you! And Shadow Link, right?! I had a look at your profile and saw Newfoundland and I was thinking... no... it couldn't be. How long has it been now? 7 years? Lol.

I'm sure we'll all be in touch during the launch and hopefully play a good bit as well :D Send me a PM sometime as well so we don't spam the thread with old friend posts haha.

Back on topic once again. Even though digital has the majority of the benefits, I'll be going physical. Something about owning the boxes for games I love just makes me happy.

Drago

3dsxlanimalcrossing619pxhedimg.jpg

Buy it and love it

Stoof

Well unfortunately, my DKCR3D code is going to my mum.
My second Luigi's Mansion 2 code went to my brother-in-law. =/
Did you ever get to play the games? D:

This has never happened with an AC game. I've played them all, but this seems different.
I've played all but the first one and I have a feeling that I'm going to get that magical first time feeling again from this game :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I like how the shop upgrades are on day timers as well as based on money spent.

Be easy to spot time travelers as it will be a while before you can get the department store nook upgrade.

Seems day 10 is the lucky day.

BooJoh

Wat?

Could someone assplain to me?

From what I gathered earlier in the thread:

Every time you save your game it generates a new, random "Save ID" and stores that ID in both the SD/Savgame and the 3DS's system memory. Trying to load a save with mismatched IDs will result in being forced to wipe the save.

This prevents two things:

1) Having two towns with one copy of the game by using two SD cards.
2) Reverting to an older backed up save to undo changes you aren't happy with.

Unfortunately, there's a third, collateral damage situation.

3) You back up your SD card, play AC, your SD card dies. You now cannot restore from your backup because the IDs don't match anymore. Your town is gone forever.

So I like how the shop upgrades are on day timers as well as based on money spent.

Be easy to spot time travelers as it will be a while before you can get the department store nook upgrade.

Seems day 10 is the lucky day.

Yeah.. Speaking of time travelling and the store upgrades... One of the main reasons I would see people time travel (I did too for this reason) was so they could avoid the day where Nook was closed. It really sucked since then you were locked out of a lot of the game. Nowhere to sell your fish, bugs, fossils, fruit, etc.

But with Re-Tail this time, that problem is solved. You can just sell everything to them and they don't close for upgrades!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah.. Speaking of time travelling and the store upgrades... One of the main reasons I would see people time travel (I did too for this reason) was so they could avoid the day where Nook was closed. It really sucked since then you were locked out of a lot of the game. No fishing and bug catching to sell...

But with Re-Tail this time, that problem is solved. You can just sell everything to them!

Yup. Day 10 is also when the first nook upgrade will happen (assuming you've spent enough, which you almost certainly have), they were closed today, but I still made a ton of bells farming on the Island and sold at re-tail.

Near as I can tell, re-tail pays more than the nook kids. But I've only tested a few things.

I'm the same way, I've always enjoyed playing AC games, but I've never been legitimately hyped for one before. Well, I got close with WW but I didn't have a DS until way way later so that might have been why I wasn't as excited for that.

Yup. Day 10 is also when the first nook upgrade will happen (assuming you've spent enough, which you almost certainly have), they were closed today, but I still made a ton of bells farming on the Island and sold at re-tail.

Near as I can tell, re-tail pays more than the nook kids. But I've only tested a few things.

Yeah, you want to sell nearly everything to Re-Tail in this version. The only exception is that Re-Tail charges you for them to take away trash and other non-sellable items, while Nooklings don't care. I assume you've noticed that?

XaosWolf

Did you ever get to play the games? D:

I've played all but the first one and I have a feeling that I'm going to get that magical first time feeling again from this game :D

Oh, yeah. Enjoyed the hell out of Luigi's Mansion 2, and I'm playing DKCR as we speak.
Gave away the LM2 code because I got 2 in one box, and the DKCR code because I don't need it and my mum wouldn't mind trying Fire Emblem. (She'll have AC and LM2 so she'll only need one more code)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, you want to sell nearly everything to Re-Tail in this version. The only exception is that Re-Tail charges you for them to take away trash and other non-sellable items, while Nooklings don't care. I assume you've noticed that?

I haven't tried because the nooklings told me at one point that they don't accept the stuff...

Lying little brats...

Elija2

My question wasn't answered earlier so I figured I'll just ask it again.

How big are the towns in this game relative to previous AC games? I can't really tell just by looking at the layouts.

I haven't tried because the nooklings told me at one point that they don't accept the stuff...

Lying little brats...

Wait, really? It's possible that they don't either. But they definitely did in the past games, so with Re-Tail charging, I assumed that would be the one upside to selling at Nooklings... Test for us!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wait, really? It's possible that they don't either. But they definitely did in the past games, so with Re-Tail charging, I assumed that would be the one upside to selling at Nooklings... Test for us!

Yeah, I'll check it out when the store opens tomorrow.

Though now I'm guaranteed to not catch any trash...

My question wasn't answered earlier so I figured I'll just ask it again.

How big are the towns in this game relative to previous AC games? I can't really tell just by looking at the layouts.

I found this for you on another site:

The 3DS version has 20 acres (five across by four down), plus Resort Island, Shopping District, and Happy Home Exhibition. It may seem smaller because of the cliff on two sides of town that cuts through the middle of ocean acres.

The Wii version has 25 acres (five across by five down), plus the City.

The DS version has 16 acres (four across by four down).

The GameCube versions have 30 acres (five across by six down), plus Animal/Private Island.

The Nintendo 64 version has 30 acres (five across by six down).

Kinda funny how the oldest versions are the largest.

Gabeking

I'm probably gonna get this game looks like the best AC yet! Does anybody know if there are a lot of new villagers than the previous iterations? And what about the fish and bugs, are there any new ones or just the same ones as the previous versions?

Still gotta pick up a 3ds though, lol.. Anyone know of any good NA deals on any regular (no special edition stuff) 3ds XLs or can point to me to the direction of one? Would like to get one ASAP so I can get this game andonster hunter, thanks!

RagnarokX

Lying little brats...

Could it have been that they meant that they won't pay for trash? In past games Tom Nook would say that he wouldn't pay for it, but he'd dispose of it for you.

The Alpacas should pay you for trash; that's dinner for them!

Elija2

Thanks! Yeah, that is weird how the older ones have a larger town. You'd think City Folk would at least match them. Maybe there's a reason for it, like they want the towns to be denser.

I'm probably gonna get this game looks like the best AC yet! Does anybody know if there are a lot of new villagers than the previous iterations?

There are new villagers! I don't have a number for you but there are some new types like
Deer and Hamsters.

While we're on the topic of villagers, one of the nice small additions to New Leaf is how the villagers are a bit more... interactive I guess? (Not really a spoiler but just in case I guess!)
They can show up inside buildings like shops, shake trees, and even fish! Before they would just kind of walk around in town and do nothing else.

And the best part...
Villagers which have moved out of your village can show up in Main Street to say hi sometimes. They're not gone forever!

Stoof

By the way FearMyWrench, I've always like your avatar. :D

Oh, yeah. Enjoyed the hell out of Luigi's Mansion 2, and I'm playing DKCR as we speak.
Gave away the LM2 code because I got 2 in one box, and the DKCR code because I don't need it and my mum wouldn't mind trying Fire Emblem. (She'll have AC and LM2 so she'll only need one more code)
Oh sweet! And that's pretty cool that your mom likes those kinda games, mine only liked Animal Crossing and smart phone games. :p

BooJoh

I'm curious how the acres are sized in each. While laying out my perfect town in AC:CF I painstakingly mapped my town and created this image, which shows that towns were 80x80 tiles (with some taken up by ocean.)

map.png

I have a feeling the GCN acres probably had fewer tiles, but I really don't know.

RagnarokX

I'm curious how the acres are sized in each. While laying out my perfect town in AC:CF I painstakingly mapped my town and created this image, which shows that towns were 80x80 tiles (with some taken up by ocean.)

map.png

I have a feeling the GCN acres probably had fewer tiles, but I really don't know.

I'm just happy acres don't matter anymore. It was so annoying having to measure them out.

pariah164

That moment when you're watching an Animal Crossing video and you yell "You just passed a digging spot! What are you doing?! GO BACK!"

... yeah. This guy. *points to self*

Gabeking

There are new villagers! I don't have a number for you but there are some new types like
Deer and Hamsters.

While we're on the topic of villagers, one of the nice small additions to New Leaf is how the villagers are a bit more... interactive I guess? (Not really a spoiler but just in case I guess!)
They can show up inside buildings like shops, shake trees, and even fish! Before they would just kind of walk around in town and do nothing else.

And the best part...
Villagers which have moved out of your village can show up in Main Street to say hi sometimes. They're not gone forever!

Not bad! Do you know anything about the fish and bugs question? (Or does anyone else, for that matter?)

XaosWolf

By the way FearMyWrench, I've always like your avatar. :D

Oh sweet! And that's pretty cool that your mom likes those kinda games, mine only liked Animal Crossing and smart phone games. :p

Man, my mum beat the Baldurs Gate games. Trying to keep her away from the "seek and find" games because she's too hardcore for that. =P

On topic: It sucks that the town is smaller. Especially now that we have more to do in it and more control over the land itself. =/

Probably measured differently though.

Not bad! Do you know anything about the fish and bugs question? (Or does anyone else, for that matter?)

I know there are some new ones but I don't think it's a substantial amount of anything. Just like 5 more or something of each. Although there is the new category with swimming and everything. But some of those are moved over from the Fish category I think? Someone else could probably do a better job of answering this one.

Gabeking

I know there are some new ones but I don't think it's a substantial amount of anything. Just like 5 more or something of each. Although there is the new category with swimming and everything. But some of those are moved over from the Fish category I think? Someone else could probably do a better job of answering this one.

Ahh ok I see, thanks anyways! I'm excited to see all that new furniture as well and when I get the 3ds I can just post my FC in the spreadsheet form right?

ohlawd

Anyone telling another person to get a 3DS and does not even mention SMTIV as a title worth looking forward to needs to rethink their life decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom