• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT2| You Can Stack Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

I didn't even know Japan had 7-11s. Also, you guys need to stop posting pictures of the 7-11 stuff. It makes me want it, and I know I'll never get it. :(
7-11 has been around in Japan for a long time. And yeah, I want the items too. :(

I hope to get a lot of AC StreetPasses when I go to Tokyo this summer.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Almost none of those things are spelled out in the game though. There are still things that even the Japanese players can't agree on.

I know, and that's why I would have preferred a lot of the stuff like that be in spoiler tags, so it's a surprise when it happens! A lot of the joy in the game is those moments where you go "Oh wow, that's a thing in this game?" like yesterday when
a town member asked me to play hide and seek and there was a cool searching mini game.

It was completely unexpected, and really fun and exciting because I was not expecting it in the slightest.

Salsa

we need some Doritos/Mountain Dew exclusive furniture

c'mon man this is where all the hardcore peeps eating gamer grub are now

Salsa

I know, and that's why I would have preferred a lot of the stuff like that be in spoiler tags, so it's a surprise when it happens! A lot of the joy in the game is those moments where you go "Oh wow, that's a thing in this game?" like yesterday when
a town member asked me to play hide and seek and there was a cool searching mini game.

It was completely unexpected, and really fun and exciting because I was not expecting it in the slightest.

I dont disagree with you but I just accept it cause its impossible to set those limits dude. I mean where do you draw the line? I did stuff like spoiler tagging the golden furniture set and I think that's fair, but some people might get upset at a picture of the fuckin.. latest upgraded mall, how can I know?

the only thing we can do in this thread is share what's happening on a day to day basis, and since no one has FINISHED the game, how would someone be able to highlight a spoiler knowing for sure they've already seen that?

spoiler tags in this thread cant be done

Filth

Can someone explain quickly how to play this game. I have fishing rid net snd shovel. My house is going to take a day to build. I shoveled all the spots. I fished a little. I sold some stuff. I made a penis flag. I don't know what to do to get the game to move on. Do I have to wait until tomorrow?

Oxx

I just set my town to early-mornings.

I probably should have checked what times this entailed before dropping 20k bells.

Gvaz

Banned
Can someone explain quickly how to play this game. I have fishing rid net snd shovel. My house is going to take a day to build. I shoveled all the spots. I fished a little. I sold some stuff. I made a penis flag. I don't know what to do to get the game to move on. Do I have to wait until tomorrow?

yup.

Whenever one of the "athletic" animals asks me to change their catch phrase, I always make it something along the lines of "roid rage."

Am I a bad person, GAF?

hey, if I pick up furniture on the island scavenger hunt, can I purchase it from the inventory in the upgraded tom nook's store?

Edit: crap, I've been farming bugs on the island too much because I just asked this an hour ago and had no idea that i posted the same question. lol

edit 2: I also hate bugs in real life so I get creeped out when I catch them in this game. I wish i could just get by farming fruit.

Salsa

It's not a game where you plow through. It's a game you play for an hour or two at most

not necessarely, you just play however long you want

you can easily play fuckin 10 hours if you want. Between always being able to go to the island to catch bugs and play minigames, play with randoms, visit other towns, etc etc

this is the most active AC yet

Gvaz

Banned
not necessarely, you just play however long you want

you can easily play fuckin 10 hours if you want. Between always being able to go to the island to catch bugs and play minigames, play with randoms, visit other towns, etc etc

this is the most active AC yet

Of course, i mean you can spend all day on the island doing things, but that doesn't mean you'd be having fun.

I mean shit, I just do one island trip a day, otherwise I'd get reallllly bored.

I didn't even know Japan had 7-11s. Also, you guys need to stop posting pictures of the 7-11 stuff. It makes me want it, and I know I'll never get it. :(

7-11 is a viable super-giant of a corporation over here in Taiwan that even has it's own baseball team.

7-11's are a way of life here in Taipei. I can pay my bills, buy train and concert tickets, send packages...pretty much anything that requires you to live can be done/got at 7-11 here.

I highly doubt the Animal Crossing 7-11 promotion is available here...but it totally should be! It's really quite a bummer that it isn't.

How are people in Japan retrieving these 7-11 items? By spot/streetpassing in one of the stores or do they need to actually buy something or get a promotional code?

Mik2121

Fun-fact:

The 7-Eleven chain is actually owned by the parent company Seven & I Holdings, which is Japanese. Also Japan is the country with the most 7-Eleven stores available, with over 15,000 stores (compared to 8,200 in the US).

I have to get the new stuff too, but I don't have space to put it all in my house.

7-11 is a viable super-giant of a corporation over here in Taiwan that even has it's own baseball team.

7-11's are a way of life here in Taipei. I can pay my bills, buy train and concert tickets, send packages...pretty much anything that requires you to live can be done/got at 7-11 here.

I highly doubt the Animal Crossing 7-11 promotion is available here...but it totally should be! It's really quite a bummer that it isn't.

How are people in Japan retrieving these 7-11 items? By spot/streetpassing in one of the stores or do they need to actually buy something or get a promotional code?
You get the 7-11 items by going to a 7-Eleven and connecting to their Wi-Fi network. As soon as you do that, you just go to the post office and you can download whatever it is they have available. Not all 7-Eleven have Wi-Fi though, but many do (I know 5 7-Eleven around my house and office, and 3 of them have Wi-Fi so it's fine for me).

Lissar

Reluctant Member

It's not a game where there is a path you need to follow to get to a goal. It's a game where you make your own fun, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I think it does take a bit more effort to get the most out of the game than other games. For example, yesterday I put down roads around my town. It's not necessary, you can go the whole game without doing it. But it might be fun (or not). I love designing/creating things, so creating the town is a lot of fun (... even if villagers can fuck up your plans). The game is surprisingly deep with a ton of extra stuff if you're willing to look for it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I dont disagree with you but I just accept it cause its impossible to set those limits dude. I mean where do you draw the line? I did stuff like spoiler tagging the golden furniture set and I think that's fair, but some people might get upset at a picture of the fuckin.. latest upgraded mall, how can I know?

the only thing we can do in this thread is share what's happening on a day to day basis, and since no one has FINISHED the game, how would someone be able to highlight a spoiler knowing for sure they've already seen that?

spoiler tags in this thread cant be done

I'm not saying that it has to be regulated or any limits need be set, but just when people can to do it as courtesy.

Like if someone asks a question about something like "Do gem stones have uses or should I just sell them?" An answer of "Yes they have uses,
you can decorate furniture
" would be appreciated. I guess spoilers with context given.

I don't expect everyone to spoiler everything, but when it would be reasonable, it would be appreciated.

zroid

Banned
So, after about a week, I'm starting to appreciate which of my townsfolk I like and which I simply tolerate or feel indifferent towards.

I started off with: Biff, Cookie, Miranda, Skye, and Wart Jr. Phoebe, Joey, and Ed moved in later.

I would say the ones I really like are Phoebe, Skye, and Biff. Didn't expect to like the stereotypical jock Biff at first, but he ended up being a pretty cool dude. Miranda has her moments too -- she has some adorable animations when she's trying to show off her dance moves. Ed and Joey I haven't gotten to know too well yet. But Cookie and Wart Jr. are just okay. Cookie's nice but I just find her personality kind of boring, and Wart Jr. is just whatever. He's fine, I guess, but his house's exterior looks like a dump and that has entirely coloured my impression of him. His voice is annoying too.

After another couple weeks, I might look into seeing if I can get some of the townsfolk I'm less fond of to move along.

Filth

It's not a game where there is a path you need to follow to get to a goal. It's a game where you make your own fun, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I think it does take a bit more effort to get the most out of the game than other games. For example, yesterday I put down roads around my town. It's not necessary, you can go the whole game without doing it. But it might be fun (or not). I love designing/creating things, so creating the town is a lot of fun (... even if villagers can fuck up your plans). The game is surprisingly deep with a ton of extra stuff if you're willing to look for it.

Ok cool. 2 questions though. How do you put down roads? And how do you go to the island? I'm connected to wifi but the train ticket guy didn't show anything for an island

a few highlights from the last amazing and at times strange week
of getting used to being an AC GAF nerd
(with special thanks to dash, soul, jeff, greg, seven, mila, march, and Misha
and the others I'm forgetting for being my crew):

chillin with my new bro on that incredible first night. What energy there was the night of the 9th!

coming over to find you asleep

me and my crew

a quiet moment

we roll . . .

. . . and roll (though sorry i haven't been on as much; other shit in my life got my down this week

. . . and roll

. . . and roll

no homo

what soul and i had failed to notice was the presence of the shovel-wielding butcher . . .

me and my lady

still my favorite pic
from day 1
proves how a game can approach the aesthetic precision and power of art

pardon if i screwed any of that up and half to edit
it's my first time posting from dumblr and i'm on ambien.

--JER FROM BYWATER

EDIT: what am i doin wrong here dudes??? come on

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's not a game where you plow through. It's a game you play for an hour or two at most

Until you unlock the island. Then you make progress for 2 hours, and farm beetles for 8 hours.

Gvaz

Banned
Ok cool. 2 questions though. How do you put down roads? And how do you go to the island? I'm connected to wifi but the train ticket guy didn't show anything for an island

People are making custom road textures and dropping them on the ground (things stay where you dropped them)

To get the island, you have to pay off your tent loan. The day after, Tortimer shows up (you can't miss it, because the game introduces you to him before you load in). Go talk to him on the docks.
The day after THAT, kappa shows up for you to talk to him. Now you can go to the island.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Animal Crossing is basically The Sims with more to do, but less of a point. But the stuff you can do is usually time-locked, meaning you can only do X amount per day, and have to days/weeks/months for certain events and stuff.

When you first start New Leaf, the game REAAAALLLLY tries to get you in the habit of only playing a few hours a day. It locks you out of a lot of stuff. Once you get to the island, you can at least farm beetles, which will be super useful later on in the game.

But once you've been playing for about a month, you'll likely get bored of playing for more than a few hours a day, anyway. That's when the beauty of the game really settles in, and you start to understand what Animal Crossing is all about. It's about steady daily progress, and checking into your AC life once a day for an hour or two, just to do whatever there is to do that day.

This is not a game you're supposed to play for 4-8 hours at a time (even though you'll probably want to do that in the first month). It's designed around daily check-ins, which is why the eShop version is perfect.

Until you unlock the island. Then you make progress for 2 hours, and farm beetles for 8 hours.

If you have the axe. I farmed for an hour, and I don't have the axe, so all the beetles were not worth that much since they kept spawning on the trees in the center....

last time i ask: does furniture you pick up during a scavenger hunt on the island appear in nook's furniture catalogue?

CoolS

Quick questio: when will I be able to activate streetpass?

So excited, I'll finally be able to go to the island tomorrow!

Dacvak

If you have the axe. I farmed for an hour, and I don't have the axe, so all the beetles were not worth that much since they kept spawning on the trees in the center....

last time i ask: does furniture you pick up during a scavenger hunt on the island appear in nook's furniture catalogue?

You can borrow an axe in the island....

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Go to the pencil icon on the bottom screen and it will show you textured tiles. When you click on one you can choose to set it on the ground. It will be displayed on the tile you're standing on. If you want to erase a tile you press Y while standing next to it.

I made mine look like this:

BM72nKiCUAE-QBP.jpg

edit: You can change the tile textures to whatever you want.

Gvaz

Banned
Quick questio: when will I be able to activate streetpass?

So excited, I'll finally be able to go to the island tomorrow!

I forget when it unlocks but when it does, there will be a guy standing near the arches in the Market, talk to him.

Dacvak

I got this game 6 days ago, and I already have 30 hours into it. It's my second-most played 3DS game. Holy shit, Nintendo. Good work.

I seriously can't remember the last game I put 30 hours into. Let alone is less than a fucking week.

Make a path, I thought. It will be fun, I thought.

3 hours later

50360e401d41c87726000130.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's something.

20NgILd.jpg

Still need an axe to get the trees out of the way.

Dacvak

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Make a path, I thought. It will be fun, I thought.

3 hours later

50360e401d41c87726000130.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's something.

20NgILd.jpg

That looks really nice!

Also, as I've been harping on about all day, be prepared to have to alter your path. Villagers just set down their houses without any thought to your city planning.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Did i miss the BB clock? PHyllis gave me a rainbow screen

Rainbow Screen is for the Month of June (1-30)

Palm Tree Lamp is for the Month of July (1-31)

The clock is this week only. Maybe try it again?

Did you do "BestBuy" or "Bestbuy" as the WiFi SSID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom