• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any games you haven't played for moral reasons, or because they simply make you uncomfortable?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven't played Hatred, it was too extreme to me, playing as a lonely loser psychopath killing innocent people.
I don't have problems with GTA V on the other hand.
I bought it and I haven’t played it since it launched. Hatred was not that engaging. I never found Postal 1 or 2 to be fun either. I know they’re iconic for their extreme traits, but they’re just boring to play. I do enjoy GTA. I’ve owned them all since GTA3 came out.

If the game is good, I have no objection. Stuff can just suck and it’s triggering someone for no reason. If it’s good then 99% of the time it’s worth investing your time in.

Last edited:
A game that I really wanted to play but was ruined by woke shit is Wargroove. Similar to one of my favorite 2d phone games - like ancient empires (mid 2000s j2me cell phone game) and mixed with advanced wars. I was hyped as the advanced wars reboot game was put on hold due to ukraine or some bs. Anyway the game came out and all the characters had that woke ass look to them.
All leaders were girl boss women, ugly feminist looking faces, with red noses. The only male leader was an old black man who took orders from the blue haired lady. All men regulated to cannon fodder, or non leader troops.

This game had woke written all over it and people were defending it saying just ignore it. Sorry but you can't ignore half the game when every cut scene reminds you of the things you can't stand about modern gaming and that ideology that is ruining everything (video games, film, tv, websites, companies, etc)

I just wanted an awesome 2d war game that was reminiscent of Ancient empires but no.

I mean, those characters look peak feminist-woke like they hired Brianna wu and big Red lady from youtube meme fame as their inspiration.

400px-Commanders_Photo.jpg

That's supposed to be a women, looks like dudes to me:
Wargroove-cinematic-550x309.jpg

This is ancient empires btw:

ancient_empires.gif

It really sucked as you can see by the gameplay shots it is very similar. I was so close to pulling the trigger on buy but stopped so many times. I am not shaking aside my values and dislike of woke shit for gameplay. Won't do it.

Gameplay_Guide_1.gif

Luckily they made an android remake in 2021, but I would of loved this on the switch. Oh well, at least advanced wars, fire emblem, tactics ogre and unicorn overlord soothed my itch for this style of game.

They made a sequel to war groove and it looks even more woke in the art. gah. Do zoomers really like this shit, as they seem to on reddit.

Oh and tlou2, sorry no bigot sandwiches for me and I loved tlou1 bought it 2x (ps3 and ps4)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that if they bring back scalebound you have to kill enemy dragons...
That's slightly different, because in that case, they are (*would be) battle Dragons.

In Monster Hunter, some of these monsters are minding their business or are passive.
If every single monster was aggressive and attacked you regardless, I wouldn't have that much issue playing them.

But either way, I'm not saying you are wrong that there's a inconsistency there. There might be games I played before that were in the same box as Monster Hunter, and there was no issue.

Not for the reasons above, but I still cant bring myself to play and complete The Last Guardian. Trico is too real and his behavior hits way too close to home with my own cat, so I refuse to see that thing in any sort of pain, peril or distress. It would just completely shatter me.
You made a good choice by not completing it, it ends in about the way you can imagine games with a pet/monster/whatever that you grow attached to usually end.

Not a diss towards Last Guardian though, it's a bold game (Game design wise). It's just cliche in that aspect.

Rran

Being in control of things gives everything an extra layer of immersion, so if your religion is a major part of who you are (as it is with many religious people), doing something that's a direct affront to it in a game can be really uncomfortable. I'm Catholic so I hated the end of Persona 5, for instance, which goes way too close to
"let's kill God with a bullet made of the seven deadly sins"
for my comfort.

I'm fine with stuff like Doom 2016 though; there's a lot of Satanic imagery but you're clearly the good guy blasting away the forces of Hell. It's kind of like a more extreme Castlevania. I could use more holy warriors in games, honestly.

I don't like the idea that if someone finds something offensive then they're a snowflake. It's not like we're making articles titled "WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEMATIC DEPICTION OF ANGELS IN BAYONETTA" or telling developers on X to "DO BETTER." I'm good applying "if you don't like it, don't watch/play it" to stuff in these cases and leaving it at that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's slightly different, because in that case, they are (*would be) battle Dragons.

In Monster Hunter, some of these monsters are minding their business or are passive.
If every single monster was aggressive and attacked you regardless, I wouldn't have that much issue playing them.

But either way, I'm not saying you are wrong that there's a inconsistency there. There might be games I played before that were in the same box as Monster Hunter, and there was no issue.
The only passive one must be dodogama and not even always, when you create eye contact with them they all get aggressive towards you so not sure about passive...

And you can catch most of them without actually killing them.

Btw i was not serious aswell, just fucking with you :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A game that I really wanted to play but was ruined by woke shit is Wargroove. Similar to one of my favorite 2d phone games - like ancient empires (mid 2000s j2me cell phone game) and mixed with advanced wars. I was hyped as the advanced wars reboot game was put on hold due to ukraine or some bs. Anyway the game came out and all the characters had that woke ass look to them.
All leaders were girl boss women, ugly feminist looking faces, with red noses. The only male leader was an old black man who took orders from the blue haired lady. All men regulated to cannon fodder, or non leader troops.

This game had woke written all over it and people were defending it saying just ignore it. Sorry but you can't ignore half the game when every cut scene reminds you of the things you can't stand about modern gaming and that ideology that is ruining everything (video games, film, tv, websites, companies, etc)

I just wanted an awesome 2d war game that was reminiscent of Ancient empires but no.

I mean, those characters look peak feminist-woke like they hired Brianna wu and big Red lady from youtube meme fame as their inspiration.

400px-Commanders_Photo.jpg

That's supposed to be a women, looks like dudes to me:
Wargroove-cinematic-550x309.jpg

This is ancient empires btw:

ancient_empires.gif

It really sucked as you can see by the gameplay shots it is very similar. I was so close to pulling the trigger on buy but stopped so many times. I am not shaking aside my values and dislike of woke shit for gameplay. Won't do it.

Gameplay_Guide_1.gif

Luckily they made an android remake in 2021, but I would of loved this on the switch. Oh well, at least advanced wars, fire emblem, tactics ogre and unicorn overlord soothed my itch for this style of game.

They made a sequel to war groove and it looks even more woke in the art. gah. Do zoomers really like this shit, as they seem to on reddit.

Oh and tlou2, sorry no bigot sandwiches for me and I loved tlou1 bought it 2x (ps3 and ps4)
The "tumblr nose" is an instant turn-off for me. Whenever I see that shit, I do a 360 and walk away.

Alebrije

Since Videogames are fiction nope.

video...games....let You do stuff that You won't do on real Life most of times...and are fiction. No because You are good on Calle of duty You can go to Ucrania and fight, You Will be Dead on a few minutes.

No, there is nothing that I won't play, watch, or hear for 'moral reasons'. I was already an adult by the time the world decided that it was a virtue to live your life as an enormous pussy, so I get a pass.
I mean this with no snark (*I was snarky, nevermind this)

It genuinely saddens me that men still believe it's cool and badass to be stoic machines, completely out of touch with their feelings they do have, with sensibilities may have, but refuse to acknowledge it, because they are that obsessed with keeping up this  boring facade that they are cooler then others, because the completely normal feeling of being offended by something is too below them.

Very few if any people (No one, actually) in this thread I would call a "enormous pussy", for not being able to enjoy something for whatever reason they pointed out...

A few people here pointed out they couldn't enjoy Shin Megami Tensei for religious reasons. Me, as an Atheist, don't get that. But that's their sensibilities, that may or may not effect their experience of something.

Either way, that's all I will say. If defending the idea of feeling offended, bothered or uncomfortable by something, makes me an enormous pussy, I will own that title like a badge.

Last edited:
The only passive one must be dodogama and not even always, when you create eye contact with them they all get aggressive towards you so not sure about passive...
I get you. I'm coming in with little experience with these games, so I will keep that in mind.
And you can catch most of them without actually killing them.
I'm actually considering going back to Monster Hunter knowing that. I had no idea that could be done.
Btw i was not serious aswell, just fucking with you :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I know, it's all good!

It genuinely saddens me that men still believe it's cool and badass to be stoic machines, completely out of touch with their feelings they do have, with sensibilities may have, but refuse to acknowledge it, because they are that obsessed with keeping up this  boring facade that they are cooler then others, because the completely normal feeling of being offended by something is too below them.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of people are unable to distinguish "unwilling to cross certain lines" from "wokeness", and so their aversion to the latter ends up being directed at the former.

Rran

A few people here pointed out they couldn't enjoy Shin Megami Tensei for religious reasons. Me, as an Atheist, don't get that. But that's their sensibilities, that may or may not effect their experience of something.
Ultimately your reasons for not wanting to kill virtual animals likely has more in common with my reasons for not wanting to kill virtual God than you might think.

In fact, I'm pretty sure just about everyone has a line they'd draw somewhere. As a generation that grew up with Mortal Kombat and Doom, we're all used to M-rated gore in games, and yeah, it's all just pixels and polygons. But what if a game tasked a player with, say, raping a virtual child? Weirdly dark example of course but I'm sure nearly every person of sound mind would feel absolutely squicky about such a task.

My point is that I agree it's normal to feel that something in a work of fiction is too far. We're human so we naturally have feelings of repulsion, disgust, and discomfort.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I loved the first Tomb Raider reboot. I missed the second one because the BS temporal exclusivity with the XBox One and by the time it arrived to PS4 I was distracted with other things. I’m planning on playing it someday, tho.

I’m never playing the third one after listening to a summary that is basically “oops, I accidentally made a genocide” and that is never properly developed in the plot.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of people are unable to distinguish "unwilling to cross certain lines" from "wokeness", and so their aversion to the latter ends up being directed at the former.
Unfortunately yes.
And I think the difference is simple.

Every single person, or at least most people here didn't say "I have an issue with _____, because of ______, so ______ shouldn't exist, or you are a automatic bad person for enjoying _______".

No one here who doesn't play SMT for religious reasons is condemning them from enjoying it.
They themselves simply can't. Because it offends them, bothers them, or goes against their morality/faith in a way that makes their experience difficult to experience.

And I have no idea how that makes them a pussy.

I was snarky in my response to him, but I genuinely want him to understand that the difference that you mentioned, exists.

And it doesn't make you a woke snowflake, to be offended by things.

Raven117

Not really. (I mean, I’m sure there is weird stuff on steam I wouldn’t play), but any major release from a known publisher/developer, i wouldn’t have a moral objection to playing.

Ultimately your reasons for not wanting to kill virtual animals likely has more in common with my reasons for not wanting to kill virtual God than you might think.
Quite probably.
In fact, I'm pretty sure just about everyone has a line they'd draw somewhere.
Which is why the people here in the comments saying "I have no morals" are deeply embarrassing to me.

They can say that morals don't impact their enjoyment of something, which I think is what they believe, and it's a completely valid thing to believe and live your life by.
But are too busy trying to be Shadow the Hedgehog, to just say that.
As a generation that grew up with Mortal Kombat and Doom, we're all used to M-rated gore in games, and yeah, it's all just pixels and polygons. But what if a game tasked a player with, say, raping a virtual child? Weirdly dark example of course but I'm sure nearly every person of sound mind would feel absolutely squicky about such a task.
I HOPE so.
My point is that I agree it's normal to feel that something in a work of fiction is too far. We're human so we naturally have feelings of repulsion, disgust, and discomfort.
Badaboom Badabing.

I’m never playing the third one after listening to a summary that is basically “oops, I accidentally made a genocide” and that is never properly developed in the plot.
At all.
The villain mentions it at some point ("Villain you evil!" ---- "Oh, I evil? What about _____ and ______") and Lara has a few "I feel bads" moments, but that's it.

It's fucking weird. Specially considering the ending of that game, it's hilarious, actually.

I know this thread is not about Tomb Raider specifically, but Shadow is the definition of wasted potential. Because there are genuinely cool ideas. The idea to have less combat, is pretty good.

There's a mysterious tribe that shows up at some point that is so interesting that the whole game could be just Lara exploring them and tombs, and it would work. Specially with the more exploration focus of the game.

The few moments where Lara relaxes a bit, and doesn't take everything too seriously, are genuinely really endearing in Shadow.

But the game is mixed with some REALLY mediocre shit, or weird out of place stuff, like the part you mentioned.

Anyway, I hope you like Rise at least. I didn't like it, personally, I think the first one is the only one that is genuinely great
But I hope you don't end up sharing my opinion on it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For me, TLOU2, it's been said a gazillion times, no need to get into it, but I never played it, don't feel like I missed anything, never will.

GTA V... i simply cannot support people that do not deserve a 'second chance'... i'd prefer GTA SA 1000 times.
I beat GTAIV, played it like 70 hours... tried to get into GTAV like 4 times, didn't get far every time. I do think the characters, especially Trevor, is the main reason. It's possible he gets his just desserts, but I just can't get into it.

Radical_3d

At all.
The villain mentions it at some point ("Villain you evil!" ---- "Oh, I evil? What about _____ and ______") and Lara has a few "I feel bads" moments, but that's it.

It's fucking weird. Specially considering the ending of that game, it's hilarious, actually.

I know this thread is not about Tomb Raider specifically, but Shadow is the definition of wasted potential. Because there are genuinely cool ideas. The idea to have less combat, is pretty good.

There's a mysterious tribe that shows up at some point that is so interesting that the whole game could be just Lara exploring them and tombs, and it would work. Specially with the more exploration focus of the game.

The few moments where Lara relaxes a bit, and doesn't take everything too seriously, are genuinely really endearing in Shadow.

But the game is mixed with some REALLY mediocre shit, or weird out of place stuff, like the part you mentioned.

Anyway, I hope you like Rise at least. I didn't like it, personally, I think the first one is the only one that is genuinely great
But I hope you don't end up sharing my opinion on it.
Man. Reading this gave me Killzone 3 flashbacks. I wish somebody would have warned me about that one.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm serioulsy gonna hear some feedback before giving more money to insomniac after panderman 2.

Generally I try not to let the politics of the day finding itself inserted into games, movies, etc. bother me, but thinking back on Spider-man 2, with the heavy handed, truly juvenile writing in those side missions that felt more like leftist propaganda than anything else......I tend to agree. Not sure I'll be buying from Insomniac again. Certainly not if SBI is involved. Just not worth it.

Last edited:
For me, TLOU2, it's been said a gazillion times, no need to get into it, but I never played it, don't feel like I missed anything, never will.
Besides two genuinely well designed boss fights in the game,
Ellie's boss fight, and one with a BIG infected thingy you fight as Abby

There's not much to miss out on at all...

I'm in the camp that thought the game was a 5/10 and appreciate aspects of the first one, but don't like it (Besides the genuinely excellent multiplayer).

So don't take my opinion that seriously. Not a fan. Just sharing my thoughts.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If I want to play something, I will.

I tend to stay away from most games are very……anime. That’s easily the worst art style ever created by man.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Generally I try not to let the politics of the day finding itself inserted into games, movies, etc. bother me, but thinking back on Spider-man 2, with the heavy handed, truly juvenile writing in those side missions that felt more like leftist propaganda than anything else......so I tend to agree. Not sure I'll be buying from Insomniac again. Certainly not if SBI is involved. Just not worth it.
Yeah i'm not looking forward to play as vulvaerine and john grey.

SHA

Gta2 back in 5th gen, common sense.

Duke Nukem 3D, I was 7 and had complexity with adult stuff, made me super shy and couldn't enjoy the experience because of it.

Borderlands, the moral issues in this game are questionable but I digressed because of my age.

Devil May Cry 1, he's a devil and it made me look from the opposite pov where he should've been the enemy instead but I digressed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gta2 back in 5th gen, common sense.

Duke Nukem 3D, I was 7 and had complexity with adult stuff, made me super shy and couldn't enjoy the experience because of it.

Borderlands, the moral issues in this game are questionable but I digressed because of my age.

Devil May Cry 1, he's a devil and it made me look from the opposite pov where he should've been the enemy instead but I digressed.
Parody post?

Markio128

Gold Member
I just play whatever I want and avoid whatever doesnt interest me.
I have no specific code. lol
Same. My moral code is left exclusively for real life. I can’t think of any game that has offended me, or that I’ve stopped playing for some immoral reason. But I guess it depends on your life experience.

Puscifer

I don't play games made in china or russia, no matter how interesting they may look. Same thing when a chinese company completely takes over a western studio - Techland instantly landed on my blacklist when they were bought by Tencent.
WOAH. When did that happen?

aha, i see, never played Spiderman 2 so i can't comment on that.
To help provide context, there were 2 early side missions that involved helping gay couples, 1 side mission where you play as Miles’ deaf girlfriend, and an LGBT flag in the game.

Collectively, the content was about 21 minutes long in a 20 hour game.

i won't be replaying last of us 2, a relentless, gratuitous, hate-fueled, graphically detailed slaughter fest passing itself off as 'mature storytelling'. once was probably once too often. in my personal canon, the last of us ended with the last of us...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Uhmm.. actually no.. the only game I truly hate is Final Fantasy XII. But not because I was offended or anything. It just destroyed my appreciation for the series once and for all.

I think maybe Street Fighter which used a lot of racial stereotypes. But, it didn't keep me from playing it..

Last edited:
Top Bottom