• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any games you haven't played for moral reasons, or because they simply make you uncomfortable?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I refuse to play Mario games since they constantly flaunt an unrealistic expectation of beauty.
2hyHqSa.jpeg
Imgur took down my sexy Mario picture for apparently violating their tos, but I WILL NOT BE CENSORED.

dW7eVnv.jpeg

nick776

I honestly struggle playing Spiderman 2 because of the emphasis on "diversity." When I first encountered the lesbian superhero I was a bit taken back, beyond that there are other aspects that I really do not like and I wish developers would not try to force certain things on people.

Rat Rage

I don't like hurting the monsters in Monster Hunter, so I dropped every single one I tried playing.

It's not a "moral" issue for me, is just not fun for me...

(Also, I dropped Resident Evil 1 Remake as soon as Neptune showed up...)

Hahaha! Man, that's the exact same thing I came here to post :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I tried playing Monster Hunter, but unlike any other game I've played, it felt like I was the "bad guy", because I felt bad about the monsters / animals I was supposed to hunt. I mean, they were not doing anything bad, just chilling in their habitats, and suddenly I came along to make their days worse by trying to kill them! It kind of felt wrong... :messenger_expressionless:

Hahaha! Man, that's the exact same thing I came here to post :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I tried playing Monster Hunter, but unlike any other game I've played, it felt like I was the "bad guy", because I felt bad about the monsters / animals I was supposed to hunt. I mean, they were not doing anything bad, just chilling in their habitats, and suddenly I came along to make their days worse by trying to kill them! It kind of felt wrong... :messenger_expressionless:
True, that's word for word what I felt too. BUT!
Two things!

GymWolf GymWolf said this earlier:
"You can capture 95% of the monsters except the ancient ones"

I don't know what happens to them after you capture them, if they just hang out at the camps, if they stay locked somewhere and stuff.
But in case you feel any desire to given them a try again, there's that option.

Also, I remembered today a game series called Toukiden, that have a similar formula to Monster Hunter, but you hunt Oni instead.

images

I haven't played any of them yet, and it's not a long running series, there's only a few games.
But I will leave it here.

Just read about the capturing:

"To capture a monster, the monster must first be weakened. When a monster has been sufficiently weakened, it will begin to limp away and return to its den to fall asleep. At this point, the monster must be caught in either a Pitfall Trap or a Shock Trap (this can be done while the monster is asleep)"

I'm sorry, maybe I'm that much of a softie, but I don't want to see them "limping away". That feels bad enough 😂😂

Maybe Monster Hunter really isn't for me. Maybe I should play Pokemon instead or something 😂

amigastar

To help provide context, there were 2 early side missions that involved helping gay couples, 1 side mission where you play as Miles’ deaf girlfriend, and an LGBT flag in the game.

Collectively, the content was about 21 minutes long in a 20 hour game.
I see, lol. Honestly i thought it was blowing out of proportion. I can't really name a single game where i was "violated" with woke stuff. But thats just me.

Last edited:
I see, lol. Honestly i thought it was blowing out of proportion. I can't really name a game where i was "violated" with woke stuff. But thats just me.
I look at it like this…In today’s age, too many people are looking for more reasons to dislike something rather than like something. Any hint of perceived wokeness is just another multiplier/qualifier reason.

This is part of the many things having a negative effect on the industry at large (based on the data of people playing older games more and more regardless of region), but many people will place it solely on the shoulders of a few western companies.

It is what it is. I stand by my first post in that none of this matters to me when actually playing a game. If a game is good, it’s good. If it’s bad it’s bad.

Not for the reasons above, but I still cant bring myself to play and complete The Last Guardian. Trico is too real and his behavior hits way too close to home with my own cat, so I refuse to see that thing in any sort of pain, peril or distress. It would just completely shatter me.
Fuck, this game broke me. Excellent game, especially when the AI is working, but I'm not gonna lie - I had to go hug my dogs and cat after finishing it. Absolute heartbreak.

Goddamn, when is Ueda gonna release another game?

GymWolf

Gold Member
True, that's word for word what I felt too. BUT!
Two things!

GymWolf GymWolf said this earlier:
"You can capture 95% of the monsters except the ancient ones"

I don't know what happens to them after you capture them, if they just hang out at the camps, if they stay locked somewhere and stuff.
But in case you feel any desire to given them a try again, there's that option.

Also, I remembered today a game series called Toukiden, that have a similar formula to Monster Hunter, but you hunt Oni instead.

images

I haven't played any of them yet, and it's not a long running series, there's only a few games.
But I will leave it here.
I tried most of the hunting games but i can't gel with anything that isn't monster hunter.

Top Bottom