• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any games you haven't played for moral reasons, or because they simply make you uncomfortable?

PeteBull

I don't like hurting the monsters in Monster Hunter, so I dropped every single one I tried playing.

It's not a "moral" issue for me, is just not fun for me...
U can do w/e, its ur time/hard earned money but lets be srs for a sec here, those monsters in MH series are just pixels on screen, not real beings, u dont have to feel any kind of way for playing games like that, same way Gta5 already is over 200m copies sold and ofc those players(myself included, got ps4 and pc version) arent some psycho's who wanna hurt/kill human beings :D

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ubisoft for like 7 years, which I broke to buy Avatar... like a fucking idiot, now I'm back to never buying their games again.

They are the scummy company pushing up game prices, some or the worst tier releases iv ever seen, and a store in their more than full priced singleplayer games that make many F2P games look like a fucking charity in comparison.

And people keep buying, it just makes me sad.

U can do w/e, its ur time/hard earned money but lets be srs for a sec here, those monsters in MH series are just pixels on screen, not real beings, u dont have to feel any kind of way for playing games like that, same way Gta5 already is over 200m copies sold and ofc those players(myself included, got ps4 and pc version) arent some psycho's who wanna hurt/kill human beings :D
No offense meant, I don't like that "pixels on screen" argument.

Because it can bleed into other things that don't involve violence or other arguably offensive things, and undermines how art can touch you as a person.

Video Games to a lot of people is an artistic experience that you not only immerse yourself into, but also control. To feel things. Fun, joy, sadness, disgust, whatever it is.
And there are certain things that will impact you. Either on a positive way, or negative way.

A lot of people here mentioned Manhunt, and maybe that's different from Monster Hunter because killing things in Manhunt is WAY more graphic then anything you would see on Monster Hunter.

But I believe they are similar in this topic. Literally speaking, you are not wrong. They are all just "pixels on screen". And it would be silly to be offended by these getting hurt.
But artistically speaking, these are more then just pixels on screen. Specially when a game does a good enough job to immerse you in it.

Postal. And games made by the saudis. Never was into snk games before but fuck bin salaam.

Getting harder to avoid cause they have stake in nintendo and others
I think they have them in Capcom as well, but I might be wrong...

I'm a big fan of SNK games and the devs, so learning about that was very upsetting.
I will still play their games, but yeah...

PeteBull

No offense meant, I don't like that "pixels on screen" argument.

Because it can bleed into other things that don't involve violence or other arguably offensive things, and undermines how art can touch you as a person.

Video Games to a lot of people is an artistic experience that you not only immerse yourself into, but also control. To feel things. Fun, joy, sadness, disgust, whatever it is.
And there are certain things that will impact you. Either on a positive way, or negative way.

A lot of people here mentioned Manhunt, and maybe that's different from Monster Hunter because killing things in Manhunt is WAY more graphic then anything you would see on Monster Hunter.

But I believe they are similar in this topic. Literally speaking, you are not wrong. They are all just "pixels on screen". And it would be silly to be offended by these getting hurt.
But artistically speaking, these are more then just pixels on screen. Specially when a game does a good enough job to immerse you in it.
Played manhunt back in the day, game was brutal af, yet it didnt make me psycho or anything like that(granted i was in my early 20s at that time, no idea how badly it would affect me if i played it as say 12yo :p ), and its really hard to find more brutal/graphic game than Manhunt.

MH u mentioned is timid af, those monsters arent even rl animals but some fabled creatures that didnt exist at all, but u do u bro, im not telling u to change ur behaviour, just presenting u another/normal/usual pov of a person that is super common :)

Funny anecdote, back in the 90s i liked playing og diablo with my friend, we were highschoolers, but this one time his younger bro, who was like 7 or 8yo started playing when we werent in the room, he was doing fine early on till he reached butcher, then he heard infamous

And ran away from the room, only came back later when stopped crying and carefully turned tv and console off :D

Frwrd

Cyberpunk 2077. Close friend who wants to play the game passed away 3 yrs before release. He thought game may release sooner but it got delayed. He never had a chance to play it.
My most sincere and humble condolences to you and his family, you're a great friend. Respect.

Soodanim

moral
I forget what psp game it was but you had to basically sign a contract with a demon or
something before it would let you start the game

turned that shit right the fuck off that just rubbed me the wrong way
I wouldn't worry, I don't think it was legally binding

Laptop1991

No i can't think of one, Rockstar games got the most complaint's back in the noughties and i've played most of them if not all lol.

Trilobit

Hatred is the closest I think, never going to play it because looks like trash but making a power fantasy about a mass shooter is super wrong

Never understood the refuse to play a game because of religion tho

Are you religious?

Trilobit

No but I dont think SMT is particulary offensive

I read a bit about the plot on its wiki and it's practically you summoning demons and having them as your partners fighting other demons. I don't know what you mean about offensive. When you're religious you get a heightened sense of right and wrong based on its framework. So for example summoning demons as a christian would "smell" really badly for you. It'd be like playing a game as a jew where you are buddies with sadistic nazi-pyschopath school shooter mass murderers all rolled up into a ball of diarrhea. It won't sit right even though it's just a work of fiction. There are plenty of other more enjoyable games to play in that case.

FewRope

I read a bit about the plot on its wiki and it's practically you summoning demons and having them as your partners fighting other demons. I don't know what you mean about offensive. When you're religious you get a heightened sense of right and wrong based on its framework. So for example summoning demons as a christian would "smell" really badly for you. It'd be like playing a game as a jew where you are buddies with sadistic nazi-pyschopath school shooter mass murderers all rolled up into a ball of diarrhea. It won't sit right even though it's just a work of fiction. There are plenty of other more enjoyable games to play in that case.
Kind of a pussy move getting offended by anime demons tbh

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
That playstation exclusive with LGTB+ dinosaurios or whatever those aberrations are.
200.gif

Goodbye Volcano High is the name you’re looking for

🦕🦖

FewRope

Well you were offended by a polygonal mass shooter so I guess different strokes for different folks.
Yeah because making a fantasy about gutting people is the same as giving money to a digital funny looking guy that happens to have the name of a demon

nemiroff

Gold Member
Games from developers/publishers funneling money to aggressive totalitarian regimes like f.ex. Russia *, and China.

..But I don't hold it against people who don't consider these implications.

(* Especially now when I have first hand experience of the impact of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine)

Garibaldi

After I got my Deck, I started taking a look into more sedate gameplay style games. This led me to the VN genre. Stein's Gate and such. I started playing a cool thriller called The Shell after I finished one called Corpse Factory. This led me down a bit of a rabbit hole on horror/thriller style VNs. Happened upon this one called Euphoria.

I literally made it about 30 mins into the title before noping out. Be careful looking it up if interests you. It's fucking extreme.

Last edited:

FewRope

After I got my Deck, I started taking a look into more sedate gameplay style games. This led me to the VN genre. Stein's Gate and such. I started playing a cool thriller called The Shell after I finished one called Corpse Factory. This led me down a bit of a rabbit hole on horror/thriller style VNs. Happened upon this one called Euphoria.

I literally made it about 30 mins into the title before noping out. Be careful looking it up if interests you. It's fucking extreme.
You went from top tier VN shit like The Shell to hot trash lmao

_Justinian_

Cyberpunk 2077. Close friend who wants to play the game passed away 3 yrs before release. He thought game may release sooner but it got delayed. He never had a chance to play it.
You have my condolences. I mention this, respectively. Would you ever consider playing this game as a way to honor/remember/pay tribute to your friend?

Doczu

Not going to play any game with SBI involved not only on basis of the cultural wars, but because SBI is funded with literal blood money.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No, there is nothing that I won't play, watch, or hear for 'moral reasons'. I was already an adult by the time the world decided that it was a virtue to live your life as an enormous pussy, so I get a pass.

kyussman

I mean I've pretty much stopped gaming,and although at first it was because I couldn't get my hands on a PS5 for a long time,now it's basically because I know so many people making games today are fucking insane leftists with disgusting views.....I just won't support these crazy fucks,lol.

FewRope

Yeah. I'm pretty ignorant of the whole genre so I honestly didn't realise. The Shell is fucking awesome tho I agree. Got the second part waiting too.
Try the Type Moon new releases on Steam, they are very good and Higurashi/Umineko, a lot of good VNs on the platform

Last edited:
That's why I don't play any shooters with "real" graphics. They are not just boring for me, I feel uncomfortable to shoot at people in games. I also can't hunt creatures in games too. Even looting enemies for food in Zelda in somewhat hard for me - they are way to cute, lol.

*Nightwing

Banned
Yeah because making a fantasy about gutting people is the same as giving money to a digital funny looking guy that happens to have the name of a demon
They are both fake reality video games made for entertainment, so yes they are exactly the same fucking thing.

I-racing is the game I refuse to play out or morality. The anti consumer pure greed pricing structure is not a retarded fleecing I want to participate in.

Josemayuste

Diablo IV, I can't stand a 80€ price tag, microtransaction, season pass, expansions, and so much monetization for a game that I already paid full price for. I did'nt even got to act II when I realized how bad this game's monetization is, so I voted with my wallet not paying any more of that sh*te .. not playing it, and not promoting or talking anything good about it, that is not the way that I want the games' industry to end up being.

Saints Row and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

In the former case, I just refuse to support work garbage that shits all over the legacy of a beloved and irreverent IP.

In the latter case, super-heroes are the last bastion of fiction wherein writers create icons of true nobility and virtue and wrap engrossing stories around them. These stories are important for young and impressionable minds to orient them around a reinforcement of what is right and what is wrong. So to me, shit like the suicide squad that represents a subversion of those themes, promoting literal villains as "anti-heroes", I do not care for one iota. That's all aside from the fact that the originating property is vapid as fuck, as well as the resultant game being dogshite.

Top Bottom